Cerulean - Indianapolis
339 S Delaware St
Indianapolis, IN 46204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cerulean - Indianapolis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ceruleanrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3178701320
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cerulean - Indianapolis
Cerulean through food, at its best and at every level is about: communication, communion and joy, whileContinued
encouraging a modern sensibility that inspires.
encouraging a modern sensibility that inspires.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Cerulean - Indianapolis - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
Cerulean - Indianapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)special occasion (74)romantic (43)notable wine list (35)hot spot (28)neighborhood gem (28)great for lunch (25)good for groups (20)great for outdoor dining (14)vibrant bar scene (12)scenic view (7)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Fit for a FoodieCleaverGDined on 9/27/2014My husband & I celebrated our 6th anniversary @ Cerulean & we loved it! Can't wait to dine there again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre experience, great staff.IMArevURDined on 9/26/2014Took someone to dinner to celebrate a promotion. Told staff at desk and they ensured that all who serviced our table congratulated my guest plus added a 'congrats' chocolate sign to her dessert plate. That was highlight! The pulled pork shared starter was delish but the amuse bouche, corn chowder, duck breast, and cocoanut dessert (and the semifreddo) were all very bland and disappointing. My guest's banquette was tilting so badly that she felt like she was slipping out of her seat all evening. And a large party arriving at the next table(s) mid-meal made conversing impossible. Great staff, mediocre food, horrible acoustics, big price tag. My second visit there is my last.Special Features:
- CEOOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/23/2014Excellent dining experience for the business group of four that I brought to the restaurant. Food was delicious and the presentation creative. Hostess and wait staff was very friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- ExcellentFoodMachineDined on 9/23/2014An excellent experience from start to finish. Went with a group of 6 for dinner. We ordered food for all 3 courses plus dessert. I noticed that each person finished their plate every time. It was a top notch experience with top notch food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No thanksreluctantjoinerDined on 9/20/2014The menu was more pretentious than appetizing. Very limited selection of choices. Service, however, was wonderful.Special Features:
- Girls Night OutSarahCDined on 9/20/2014Four of us visited this restaurant for the first time. We were having a very early dinner as we were going to a 7:30 performance. The food was fabulous and our waitress was excellent. However, we were treated very rudely by the hostess. When we asked if we might have a booth we were told, in a condescending tone, they were all reserved and we should have asked for one when we made reservation. When we finished dinner......they were all still available. Would we go back....probably...but it did cast a shadow over a really fun night to be treated this way.Special Features:
- great foodYummyVIPDined on 9/16/2014I would say this place gears towards women and foodies. Great local findSpecial Features:
- Off night?JayCDined on 9/15/2014Both my dining campanion and myself expressed our disappointment to the waiter about the poor quality of the entrees. He had the duck and I had the salmon. The duck was unappetizing and the salmon was dried out. The restaurant comped both main courses, but the manager did not come to the table which I would have expected given that both meals were unsatisfactory. In addition the entrees were slow to arrive. The waiter was very apologetic and very attentive. The desserts were the highlight of the evening. Given the prices in the $30 range for entrees and $12 for a $7 glass of wine, the Cerulean needs to remember that they are not at the lake but they are in downtown Indianapolis with lots of other restaurants with good food and lower prices.
- Not as good as my first visitSassyCreativeDined on 9/15/2014Entertaining a group for dinner was difficult in this location--due to additional traffic from MNF. I was though, impressed the staff focused on getting ticket holders to the game. Wine list was good. Food was interesting but not remarkable--as my first visit which was for lunch. The fried egg ravioli was an interesting diversion for my party. The entrees were a bit gamey but the summer squash risotto was noteworthy. This experience won't keep me from coming back though--I love the inventiveness of the menu, the ambiance and the location and i'm always up for something a little different. This trip just wasn't all that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingSCWeddingCoupleDined on 9/15/2014We were super disappointed with Cerulean. It took forever to get our drinks from the bar. I ordered the cod entree, which was actually substituted for bass that night. When it came, it was clear that it had been sitting under a warming lamp. It was not well seasoned and very dry. The plate looked beautiful with some frothy green sauce and a smear of white sauce. However, neither had any flavor. So I paid $32 for a piece of fish that was dry and boring and came with nothing else except a decorative plate. A small side of risotto, potato hash or veggie would have been nice. My husband ordered the scallops and it too seemed like it had been sitting out, waiting to be served, rather than fresh. The one highlight was the cheese board.
- An Indy SurpriseLuv2eatVIPDined on 9/15/2014After doing the steak house thing a couple of times during our first visit to Indy it was time to find a different type of restaurant and we were not disappointed. The food is very imaginative and very well prepared. This place is a must visit when in town. It retails restaurants in Chicago, Baltimore and Philadelphia.Special Features:
- KarenDined on 9/15/2014Great deal for lunch and same outstanding quality as their dinner selections. Always a delicious experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for the returnNoRomanceDined on 9/13/2014Our waiter was poorly trained, didn't know what a sparkling wine was, and appeared to be stretched too thin. We had difficulty getting our entrees and had to order bread to bridge the long gap between the starters and the main dishes. The music was loud and the room was noisy. Soup came without a spoon so we had to wait for a waiter to bring the proper utensil. When one is paying top dollar, one expects well-trained service and a comfortable ambiance, as well as good food. The lamb shoulder, beef, and pea soup were all very good to excellent. However, I will not come back just for a very good but expensive dinner.
- Good, but a little behind the timestimoteo4Dined on 9/10/2014Had a very nice dinner at Cerulean this past week. Everything was good -- fresh ingredients, nicely prepared, with lovely presentation. The only problem was reliance on foam -- yes, foam. It was on everything, in some form. Kale foam on the plate with the cod; foam topping the oysters on the half shell; etc. It did not add to either the flavor or the presentation, and in many instances was distracting. The prices are fairly high, so you do expect to be dazzled a bit. Foam did not do it for me, nor for the other people at the table. Foam is past its prime, having thankfully faded a year ago or more. Time to phase it out here, and get more current.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice to try onceOracleDined on 9/4/2014The restaurant as a whole was really nice, but I did not see myself coming her a second time. Options were a bit limited since I only eat fish and poultry. The ambiance is set up more for a business lunch rather than romantic dining. Food was great, but was too salty for my taste. I had the Cod and my wife had the duck and we both felt the chef cooked the food perfectly, but had too much salt either in the seasoning or the pasta. Their Hawaiian themed dessert was great! Fresh flavors, matching nicely together. Finally, their drinks were well crafted, unique flavors and plentiful. I would recommend other to try it and to experience something unique, but don't go expecting a romantic setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed it very much...scallops were an amazing bite! :)Special Features:
- Always GreatBeauDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I frequent Cerulean. The food and service is always excellent, but during the August '14 Devour Downtown I had one of the best meals I've ever had the pleasure of eating! It was the roasted mushroom. After many visits we'd always wanted to sit in the area near the entrance my wife & I always refer to as the "Bird's Nest". On this particular visit we were seated there, and to be honest it felt a bit isolated since we were the only ones in there . . . be careful what you wish for! Great place though.Special Features:
- Unique!!KreneeDined on 8/28/2014Pulled pork BBQ on a macaron? Shut up!! Yum - loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good restaurantCMMTHVIPDined on 8/28/2014We were looking for a romantic night out: Cerulean delivered. The server was superb. The food was excellent. My wife raved about the lamb shoulder and I thoroughly enjoyed the pork. The Indiana cheese plate was delicious. The wine list is not extensive but fine...we had a very good French Syrah. The bar manager has a bias toward small batch choices . . . and that's OK with me. Substituted something called "Botanist" for my usual Bombay Sapphire and it was fine...in other words, broaden the world, enjoy something different. I think this place is a winnerSpecial Features:
- ExcellentBenInIndyDined on 8/23/2014Little foodie for some people and the portions are not large, but every bite was excellent.Special Features:
- For foodiesBloomingtonFoodiesDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I had a recent visit. We love new and interesting places that serve food in novel and creative ways. One entree was a Cod special served with "Kale foam" cooked and presented perfectly. I had the risotto special which was delicious . If you want typical Hoosier food with large portions Cerulean is not that place. If you love to savor your food, this is the place. The chickpea fritters were fair, but the Tomato Tartar was great, though I wish I had brought my own GF crackers. The wine list was limited but appropriate for the dishes listed. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- specialdayDined on 8/22/2014Interesting menu, great food and service. Enjoyed the decor and the friendliness of all the staff.Special Features:
- truly outstanding foodKarenDined on 8/22/2014remarkable combinations of ingredients, beautifully balanced. definitely a special occasion meal as it is extremely expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingChefWannabeDined on 8/22/2014I have never been disappointed when dining at Cerulean. My meal selection is always on point and my meal companions are always pleased with their selection too. It is definitely a crowd pleaser and a restaurant I will continue to patron for years to come, as long as I reside in Indy. I had the lunch bento box with the salmon, broccolini salad, pea soup, and chorizo potato salad. The salmon was cooked to perfection and the soup and salads were perfect accompaniments for my lunch. For dessert I had the ricotta cheesecake and it was delicious! Super light, perfectly sweet, and with the right amount of tartness provided by the lemon curd on top.Special Features:
- amazing devour downtown experiencedevourdowntownDined on 8/21/2014From appetizer to dessert...loved it. Great wait staff and pastry chef is best in Indy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectaculardustbunnymomVIPDined on 8/19/2014The food is delicious, creative, and beautiful to look at, a combination of which we don't often find. The cheese board was amazing, offering an assortment of delicious cheeses and come house made very thin crackers that were out of this world. Watermelon salad teased you with the jalapeño, cilantro, and mint alongside the sweet fruit. Mushroom risotto was mouthwatering, though unlike the rest of the dishes, not beautiful to the eye (could it be served in a prettier way? The chef might want to think about it). Desserts were lovely, with unexpected combinations of flavors. Service was quick and conscientious. When our vegetarian couldn't eat the amuse bouche that came unsolicited before the meal, they brought out another offering for her.Special Features:
- Great experience, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014The service and the food were excellent and I would definitely recommend Cerulean to anyone. We went there to celebrate our anniversary and they treated us very well and helped make it very special. And they accommodated my wife's vegan preferences without trouble.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere - decent foodNicoleDined on 8/16/2014We had dinner here before a Colts game and gave them our timeframe. Despite this, we still were there too long and didn't get to the game on time. Our server was absolutely wonderful though - I would love to have her again sometime - very honest and helpful with choices. The food was good but not as good as we expected for the price. They touted their fish on the menu that was $32 and it was a small portion and not wonderful. The appetizers were excellent though and everyone was very welcoming and friendly. I would go again and try different dishes.Special Features:
- Always GreatBeauDined on 8/9/2014We have been to Cerulean several times and are always met with friendly and helpful staff, great service, and phenomenal food. One of the best restaurants in Indianapolis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2014We tried Cerulean for the first time on Tuesday night and had a fantastic experience from start to finish! The food was excellent (we loved that the waitstaff explained all of the ingredients and preparation) and very worth the price. Between three of us, we tried the homemade bread, the Indiana greens salad, the tomato tartare, along with the salmon, lamb, and duck entrees. Everything was delicious! The service was very friendly and attentive but not overbearing. The dishes were modern and creative, yet substantial and not pretentious. They were not too busy that night, which may have enhanced our experience, but we all remarked multiple times afterward just how delicious it was. We will back for another special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great elegant lunchOpentablefriendVIPDined on 8/4/2014What a great place for lunch! Elegant environment with fun food choices. I love the panko chicken and broccolini. The cold noodles and Brussels sprouts were good, but not as extraordinary as the panko chicken.Special Features:
- Best Experience in Indy!!indyfoodie80VIPDined on 8/2/2014Hands down this was the most incredible culinary and service experience to date in Indy!!! This place sure knows how to nail an incredible dining experience! Thanks for the amazing evening!Special Features:
- Restaurant just OKJerryVIPDined on 8/2/2014Dinner at Cerulean was just OK. The bread ($6.00) was not particularly good and certainly not worth $6.00. Salads were quite good. The main courses were OK but the amounts were just not worth the prices being charged. Seemed like the chef was more interested in the presentation than pleasing the customer.
- Only ok, a bit priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Food was good not great Starters and salads way over priced, yet tomato tartare was very good. By the way bread is $6 Filet small but well cooked and an ok price of $37 I don't think I need to go back
- Cerulean chef is unexpected artistOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014Cerulean was quite a pleasant surprise. After three nights of steak/red meat (which I don't eat) even my husband was ready for a lighter meal. However, we weren't expecting such an outstanding treatment of foods and flavors as we experienced at Cerulean. The chef is a true artist. Scallops are my favorite food. I order them whenever offered. The scallops appetizer at Cerulean was a marvelous unusual blending of flavors and the second best I have ever had. I had an unusual fresh cod as entree, also fresh and superb. My husband ordered a duck breast which was also wonderful and different. OUr server was very knowledgeable. He even recommended his favorite vodka that is made in PA! which was also quite good. Great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Fluffqueen01VIPDined on 7/31/2014We had a small plate and a medium plate, as well as two desserts and two of their specialty drinks. Everything was wonderful! The food titles don't necessarily paint a clear picture of what you are ordering, but the hosts are more than happy to explain everything. Desserts were FABULOUS!Special Features:
- So much to choose from!ChefkenVIPDined on 7/24/2014No matter how many times I go, I find it difficult to choose from all the options. I especially like the lunch selection and enjoy hearing my guests exclaim how much they enjoy their choices. It makes me wish I could get a double order each time I go! Favorites are the duck for the entree, the pumpkin soup and the brussel sprouts as side dishes.Special Features:
- Fabulous date nightsben327Dined on 7/18/2014My husband and I are trying to enjoy as many date nights as we can before the arrival of our first child. Everything about Cerulean made the evening perfect! The food is incredible and creative without trying too hard. They were able to answer my questions and accommodate dietary restrictions, as well. The portion sizes did not disappoint. We enjoyed the full 4 courses and left feeling full but not uncomfortably so. My husband really enjoyed the cocktails and the whiskey flight, and the bartender even made special mocktails just for me! The decor is lovely and modern, but again, without going overboard. The service was impeccable! From the valet to all of the wait staff, they really made the experience for us! Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Indy's Top 25OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/16/2014Enjoyable dining experience. Food very good with interesting flavors. Portions are small and expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for NOCAL foodiesLarryVIPDined on 7/15/2014I was entertaining two members of a marketing group in town to shoot videos for my Oral Surgery practice. They consider themselves foodies and had just been in Portland. They we're throughly impressed with Cerulean. Drinks and food were excellent. My wife and I have dined numerous times here and have always enjoyed the experience.Special Features: