Cerulean - Indianapolis
339 S Delaware St
Indianapolis, IN 46204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cerulean - Indianapolis
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ceruleanrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3178701320
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Cerulean - Indianapolis
Cerulean through food, at its best and at every level is about: communication, communion and joy, whileContinued
encouraging a modern sensibility that inspires.
encouraging a modern sensibility that inspires.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Cerulean - Indianapolis - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
Cerulean - Indianapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)special occasion (55)romantic (31)neighborhood gem (27)notable wine list (26)hot spot (21)great for lunch (19)good for groups (17)vibrant bar scene (10)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (4)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great food but an odd settingirisharpeDined on 10/25/2014First, our food was great. Black cod, salmon, pulled pork app and corn bisque were wonderful. The restaurant setting seems to be a cross of a diner and a high end seafood place. Really just odd. Our waitress was energetic but quite scatter brained for some reason. Nothing bad, just really flighty. If they can get the service and setting to match the food, they've got something.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2014If you like savory desserts try the Blue Cheese and Grape creation. It was superb.Special Features:
- Another Perfect Dinner at CeruleanJAYatJWIndyVIPDined on 10/15/2014From start to finish, our evening was perfection. My dinner companion and I started our meal with the oysters. Next, we moved on to the salmon and the filet. Both were excellently prepared. We wrapped up our meal with the ice cream trio (lemon verbena, caramel, and earl grey chocolate), which included a green tea macaroon, and the concord grape ice cream with blue cheese. The delicious meal was further enhanced by Cerulean's inviting service and stylish ambiance.Special Features:
- suaveslavDined on 10/11/2014We ate at Cerulean following Saturday Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra concert. Arriving early, we went to bar. Only negative part of whole time there was long wait for service in bar. Not extremely busy. Understaffed? By time we placed appetizer order, the table was ready. Staff did accommodate us and brought sample appetizer before the ordered "gnudi" plate arrive. Even had pumpkin sorbet drink (?) to cleanse the palate! Malbec vino was nice choice for lamb and chicken entrees. Service was outstanding. The final bill did not include the drinks from bar and gnudi. We pointed that out, paid full bill and exited. Nice to go to Cerulean other than New Years Eve!Special Features:
- Mostly wonderfulOpentablefriendVIPDined on 10/9/2014Food, service, ambiance was wonderful, but the food came out exceptionally slow. I've had lunch before with no problems, but we had to wait a long time for our food. I guess we were dressed casual, so they just assumed we had lots of time. I just recommend letting waitstaff know ahead of time. Never been slow before. Elegant, interesting food. Lunch is a value under 20Special Features:
- Great service, top notch foodsdrinderDined on 10/4/2014I recently took my wife here for her birthday. We had the chef's tasting with wine pairings. The service was perfect. They food was amazing and a refreshing change from the 50 steak houses in Indianapolis. Cerulean is the type of fine dining place that Indianalolis needs more of. The atmosphere is sleek and there is a great bar upstairs in the Alexander if you feel like after dinner drinks. My only complaint is that it was a little cold. Will definitely recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was fine...jimmyloubillDined on 10/4/2014The pork sliders were fantastic with a great sauce and on macarons to boot. The other appetizers/small plates were good. The entres was just OK. Our waitress did not seem to know the menu well. The dessert bento box was good.Special Features:
- less consistent latelyKarenDined on 10/3/2014The first few times I've been here the food, and I mean everything, was simply outstanding. Interesting combinations of ingredients and flavors, in perfect balance. Recently, I have found it inconsistent and sometimes disappointing given the expense. This last time we had pulled pork sliders which were very good, if just a tad too sweet. The corn soup was very good, but the squash was very disappointing, bland, lacking in any really flavors or contrasts of flavors. The black cod and filet were again, very good, but not outstanding. The Jack Rose cocktail remains delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed - Some great some so soPajroberDined on 10/3/2014I had seen the mixed reviews on Cerulean but wanted to give it a try. It is in a beautiful spare restaraunt. The appetizers were mixed. The bread tray was poor- this needs to be fixed and is a bad way to start things out. Some of the bread was stale. The pork macaroons were interesting and very different. My husband liked the different take on hummous but my mother and I did not. The corn chowder and squash salad starters were very good and beautifully presented. For that matter, all the food was beautifully plated. My father's lamb dish was truly outstanding and the fish was good but not great as well. The desserts were the real highlight of the meal. Save room for these as they will make up for some of the other problems.Special Features:
- Fit for a FoodieCleaverGDined on 9/27/2014My husband & I celebrated our 6th anniversary @ Cerulean & we loved it! Can't wait to dine there again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre experience, great staff.IMArevURDined on 9/26/2014Took someone to dinner to celebrate a promotion. Told staff at desk and they ensured that all who serviced our table congratulated my guest plus added a 'congrats' chocolate sign to her dessert plate. That was highlight! The pulled pork shared starter was delish but the amuse bouche, corn chowder, duck breast, and cocoanut dessert (and the semifreddo) were all very bland and disappointing. My guest's banquette was tilting so badly that she felt like she was slipping out of her seat all evening. And a large party arriving at the next table(s) mid-meal made conversing impossible. Great staff, mediocre food, horrible acoustics, big price tag. My second visit there is my last.Special Features:
- CEOOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/23/2014Excellent dining experience for the business group of four that I brought to the restaurant. Food was delicious and the presentation creative. Hostess and wait staff was very friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- ExcellentFoodMachineDined on 9/23/2014An excellent experience from start to finish. Went with a group of 6 for dinner. We ordered food for all 3 courses plus dessert. I noticed that each person finished their plate every time. It was a top notch experience with top notch food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No thanksreluctantjoinerDined on 9/20/2014The menu was more pretentious than appetizing. Very limited selection of choices. Service, however, was wonderful.Special Features:
- Girls Night OutSarahCDined on 9/20/2014Four of us visited this restaurant for the first time. We were having a very early dinner as we were going to a 7:30 performance. The food was fabulous and our waitress was excellent. However, we were treated very rudely by the hostess. When we asked if we might have a booth we were told, in a condescending tone, they were all reserved and we should have asked for one when we made reservation. When we finished dinner......they were all still available. Would we go back....probably...but it did cast a shadow over a really fun night to be treated this way.Special Features:
- great foodYummyVIPDined on 9/16/2014I would say this place gears towards women and foodies. Great local findSpecial Features:
- Off night?JayCDined on 9/15/2014Both my dining campanion and myself expressed our disappointment to the waiter about the poor quality of the entrees. He had the duck and I had the salmon. The duck was unappetizing and the salmon was dried out. The restaurant comped both main courses, but the manager did not come to the table which I would have expected given that both meals were unsatisfactory. In addition the entrees were slow to arrive. The waiter was very apologetic and very attentive. The desserts were the highlight of the evening. Given the prices in the $30 range for entrees and $12 for a $7 glass of wine, the Cerulean needs to remember that they are not at the lake but they are in downtown Indianapolis with lots of other restaurants with good food and lower prices.
- Not as good as my first visitSassyCreativeDined on 9/15/2014Entertaining a group for dinner was difficult in this location--due to additional traffic from MNF. I was though, impressed the staff focused on getting ticket holders to the game. Wine list was good. Food was interesting but not remarkable--as my first visit which was for lunch. The fried egg ravioli was an interesting diversion for my party. The entrees were a bit gamey but the summer squash risotto was noteworthy. This experience won't keep me from coming back though--I love the inventiveness of the menu, the ambiance and the location and i'm always up for something a little different. This trip just wasn't all that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingSCWeddingCoupleDined on 9/15/2014We were super disappointed with Cerulean. It took forever to get our drinks from the bar. I ordered the cod entree, which was actually substituted for bass that night. When it came, it was clear that it had been sitting under a warming lamp. It was not well seasoned and very dry. The plate looked beautiful with some frothy green sauce and a smear of white sauce. However, neither had any flavor. So I paid $32 for a piece of fish that was dry and boring and came with nothing else except a decorative plate. A small side of risotto, potato hash or veggie would have been nice. My husband ordered the scallops and it too seemed like it had been sitting out, waiting to be served, rather than fresh. The one highlight was the cheese board.
- An Indy SurpriseLuv2eatVIPDined on 9/15/2014After doing the steak house thing a couple of times during our first visit to Indy it was time to find a different type of restaurant and we were not disappointed. The food is very imaginative and very well prepared. This place is a must visit when in town. It retails restaurants in Chicago, Baltimore and Philadelphia.Special Features:
- KarenDined on 9/15/2014Great deal for lunch and same outstanding quality as their dinner selections. Always a delicious experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for the returnNoRomanceDined on 9/13/2014Our waiter was poorly trained, didn't know what a sparkling wine was, and appeared to be stretched too thin. We had difficulty getting our entrees and had to order bread to bridge the long gap between the starters and the main dishes. The music was loud and the room was noisy. Soup came without a spoon so we had to wait for a waiter to bring the proper utensil. When one is paying top dollar, one expects well-trained service and a comfortable ambiance, as well as good food. The lamb shoulder, beef, and pea soup were all very good to excellent. However, I will not come back just for a very good but expensive dinner.
- A Chance for a new experienceChefkenVIPDined on 9/11/2014If you are tired of having the same old thing, I recommend Cerulean as a restaurant for breaking out. They have a variety of appetizers and entrees that are unique and tasty. They also have a fantastic lunch menu which is a more affordable way to experience this restaurant.Special Features:
- Good, but a little behind the timestimoteo4Dined on 9/10/2014Had a very nice dinner at Cerulean this past week. Everything was good -- fresh ingredients, nicely prepared, with lovely presentation. The only problem was reliance on foam -- yes, foam. It was on everything, in some form. Kale foam on the plate with the cod; foam topping the oysters on the half shell; etc. It did not add to either the flavor or the presentation, and in many instances was distracting. The prices are fairly high, so you do expect to be dazzled a bit. Foam did not do it for me, nor for the other people at the table. Foam is past its prime, having thankfully faded a year ago or more. Time to phase it out here, and get more current.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty TreatsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014Had a wonderful time, the food was well thought out and executed with skill and respect for the ingredients. My Old Fashion cocktail was delicious. Our server was warm and knowledgeable of the food and drinks. Had a great time and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice to try onceOracleDined on 9/4/2014The restaurant as a whole was really nice, but I did not see myself coming her a second time. Options were a bit limited since I only eat fish and poultry. The ambiance is set up more for a business lunch rather than romantic dining. Food was great, but was too salty for my taste. I had the Cod and my wife had the duck and we both felt the chef cooked the food perfectly, but had too much salt either in the seasoning or the pasta. Their Hawaiian themed dessert was great! Fresh flavors, matching nicely together. Finally, their drinks were well crafted, unique flavors and plentiful. I would recommend other to try it and to experience something unique, but don't go expecting a romantic setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed it very much...scallops were an amazing bite! :)Special Features:
- Always GreatBeauDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I frequent Cerulean. The food and service is always excellent, but during the August '14 Devour Downtown I had one of the best meals I've ever had the pleasure of eating! It was the roasted mushroom. After many visits we'd always wanted to sit in the area near the entrance my wife & I always refer to as the "Bird's Nest". On this particular visit we were seated there, and to be honest it felt a bit isolated since we were the only ones in there . . . be careful what you wish for! Great place though.Special Features:
- Unique!!KreneeDined on 8/28/2014Pulled pork BBQ on a macaron? Shut up!! Yum - loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good restaurantCMMTHVIPDined on 8/28/2014We were looking for a romantic night out: Cerulean delivered. The server was superb. The food was excellent. My wife raved about the lamb shoulder and I thoroughly enjoyed the pork. The Indiana cheese plate was delicious. The wine list is not extensive but fine...we had a very good French Syrah. The bar manager has a bias toward small batch choices . . . and that's OK with me. Substituted something called "Botanist" for my usual Bombay Sapphire and it was fine...in other words, broaden the world, enjoy something different. I think this place is a winnerSpecial Features:
- ExcellentBenInIndyDined on 8/23/2014Little foodie for some people and the portions are not large, but every bite was excellent.Special Features:
- For foodiesBloomingtonFoodiesDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I had a recent visit. We love new and interesting places that serve food in novel and creative ways. One entree was a Cod special served with "Kale foam" cooked and presented perfectly. I had the risotto special which was delicious . If you want typical Hoosier food with large portions Cerulean is not that place. If you love to savor your food, this is the place. The chickpea fritters were fair, but the Tomato Tartar was great, though I wish I had brought my own GF crackers. The wine list was limited but appropriate for the dishes listed. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- specialdayDined on 8/22/2014Interesting menu, great food and service. Enjoyed the decor and the friendliness of all the staff.Special Features:
- truly outstanding foodKarenDined on 8/22/2014remarkable combinations of ingredients, beautifully balanced. definitely a special occasion meal as it is extremely expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingChefWannabeDined on 8/22/2014I have never been disappointed when dining at Cerulean. My meal selection is always on point and my meal companions are always pleased with their selection too. It is definitely a crowd pleaser and a restaurant I will continue to patron for years to come, as long as I reside in Indy. I had the lunch bento box with the salmon, broccolini salad, pea soup, and chorizo potato salad. The salmon was cooked to perfection and the soup and salads were perfect accompaniments for my lunch. For dessert I had the ricotta cheesecake and it was delicious! Super light, perfectly sweet, and with the right amount of tartness provided by the lemon curd on top.Special Features:
- amazing devour downtown experiencedevourdowntownDined on 8/21/2014From appetizer to dessert...loved it. Great wait staff and pastry chef is best in Indy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectaculardustbunnymomVIPDined on 8/19/2014The food is delicious, creative, and beautiful to look at, a combination of which we don't often find. The cheese board was amazing, offering an assortment of delicious cheeses and come house made very thin crackers that were out of this world. Watermelon salad teased you with the jalapeño, cilantro, and mint alongside the sweet fruit. Mushroom risotto was mouthwatering, though unlike the rest of the dishes, not beautiful to the eye (could it be served in a prettier way? The chef might want to think about it). Desserts were lovely, with unexpected combinations of flavors. Service was quick and conscientious. When our vegetarian couldn't eat the amuse bouche that came unsolicited before the meal, they brought out another offering for her.Special Features:
- Great experience, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014The service and the food were excellent and I would definitely recommend Cerulean to anyone. We went there to celebrate our anniversary and they treated us very well and helped make it very special. And they accommodated my wife's vegan preferences without trouble.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere - decent foodNicoleDined on 8/16/2014We had dinner here before a Colts game and gave them our timeframe. Despite this, we still were there too long and didn't get to the game on time. Our server was absolutely wonderful though - I would love to have her again sometime - very honest and helpful with choices. The food was good but not as good as we expected for the price. They touted their fish on the menu that was $32 and it was a small portion and not wonderful. The appetizers were excellent though and everyone was very welcoming and friendly. I would go again and try different dishes.Special Features:
- Always GreatBeauDined on 8/9/2014We have been to Cerulean several times and are always met with friendly and helpful staff, great service, and phenomenal food. One of the best restaurants in Indianapolis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.