3124 N Broadway St
Chicago, IL 60657Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://cerestable.com/
- Phone: (773) 922-4020
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Scurato
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ceres' Table
Ceres' Table features regional, Italian-inspired seasonal plates that pay homage to Chef Scurato's Sicilian heritage with respect to the technique, process and history of his native cuisine. A reflection of the Italian lifestyle, Chef Scurato has forged meaningful connections with Midwestern farmers in the spirit of cooking with seasonal, local and sustainable ingredients. In the new space, Chef Scurato has expanded the menu to feature mostly new offerings, including homemade pizzas cooked to perfection in a newly-installed wood burning oven that sits in the heart of the restaurant. The Italian-focused wine list showcases a sophisticated yet approachable variety, with more than 90 selections available by the bottle and ten by the glass. Additionally, the craft cocktail program highlights classics and house specialty cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ceres' Table reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (92)fit for foodies (91)notable wine list (44)special occasion (38)good for groups (32)hot spot (31)romantic (17)great for outdoor dining (17)vibrant bar scene (14)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Go.DeanoVIPDined on 11/22/2014We've gone to Ceres' Table several times over the last few months. And it has been fantastic every. single. time. Homemade pastas, great contorni, imaginative specials all speak to the details this chef (and staff) tend to. Knowledgeable and friendly servers bring it home. Comfortable and fun scene whether you're in dress clothes or jeans. Just go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ceres' Table - Great Food, OK serviceNickVIPDined on 11/22/2014Ceres' Table is a great option for fine dining in the Lakeview neighborhood. My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal: had the burrata for an apitizer, shared the bistecca fiorentina with brussel sprouts and fingerling potatoes for main course and shared the olive oil chocolate cake for dessert. The food was amazing and would recommend it to anyone looking for great Italian cuisine. The only issue we had was with our server. She was very short with us and removed the drink and wine list from our table several times. When pouring our wine, she spilled it and didn't apologize. Other than our main server, it was a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian with the right portion sizesOnceAndDoneVIPDined on 11/22/2014Ceres Table is a great alternative to traditional heavy Italian meals that are all too common in Chicago. While the restaurant is known for it's wood fired pizzas branch out to try the many other main dishes and appetizers. The mushroom risotto and the skate wing were the right balance of rich flavors without being too overwhelming. To compliment dinner, the wine list was much more accurate in descriptions and pairings than usual. I will definitely be returning next time I am in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ceres Table Does Authentic Italian60202foodieVIPDined on 11/22/2014Ceres Table is a fine example of authentic Italian food served in a comfortable neighborhood setting without all the hoopla of other such establishments. The menu offers a variety of small to large plates, all well-suited to sharing. Our meal started with a fine chacuterie plate, followed by an excellent tuna crudo, then a pasta bolognese, finishing with a salted caramel pudding. Of particular note: these three items were more than enough for two. We dined after a performance at Timeline Theater (just a block away) and will do so again after future performances. Mangia!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As far as vegans are concerned...AveganDined on 11/22/2014They may list on their website that they are vegan friendly, but when I asked what options they had, all I got in return was a blank stare. I had to end up getting a beet salad without cheese and a side of kale. To say the least, I left starving and overpaying for a small amount of veggies. Also, their glasses of wine are abysmal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two longtime friends catch up over dinnerLetitiaDined on 11/19/2014We enjoyed cocktails before sharing three plates: the fritto misto, which was crisp, light, and delicious, with huge tender prawns, vegetables, and flavorful smelt; a beet salad with goat cheese; and a pizza. All three were tasty, generous portions, and with two healthy pours of wine from the reasonably-priced list, we were replete and happy. Did I mention the chewy-crisp bread and French butter? I wish we'd had room for dessert, but I'm sure we'll be back. The staff was charming, attentive but not intrusive. As my friend remarked, it doesn't look like much from the outside, but it's warm and casually chic inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic CookingTrendy1Dined on 11/9/2014Enjoyed a delicious meal from small plates to entrees.Food very fresh and simply and beautifully prepared.Especially liked the Orata fish roasted and served with Rapini.Pasta dishes unique and very deliciousSpecial Features:
- A neighborhood gem,,,bobbDined on 11/8/2014We're fans of Ceres' Table from their previous location and previous visits to this new location. We stopped for dinner following theater in the area and were welcomed warmly. The menu is most creative as is the interesting and very complete wine list (and cocktail menu as well). My wife immediately found the skate wing which is a strong favorite of hers whenever it appears on a menu, and pronounced it excellent. Two of us had the calves' liver, done precisely as the chef recommended and with onion and bacon, and it didn't disappoint. Service was attentive and helpful and the boudine dessert ended the meal superbly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always evolving and creativeTonybowkerVIPDined on 11/7/2014Each time we return to Ceres Table we're tempted by a new presentation and something that we've never seen elsewhere. We love to explore the wide range of well-priced quality wines by the glass, and rely on the friendly knowledgeable staff. The olive oil flourless chocolate cake is irresistible, and a memorable way to end dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014While the service is good and the cuisine enjoyable (outstanding risotto) I would not return to this restaurant because of the noise level.
- Great variety of foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014From the beet salad to the carrot cake. It was an amazing dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great place!SullyDined on 10/25/2014This was our 5th time since the opening. It is consistently fine and interesting dining. The staff is always up on everything and very friendly. We are so lucky to have Ceres Table right in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- Great food, but loud roomCheapNSnootyDined on 10/25/2014The staff is warm and enthusiastic, if undertrained. We had to wave down our server many times, to the degree that we were a bit embarrassed. The cocktails can be more creative than delicious. We sent one drink back and wanted to send back a second. The food was mostly excellent. We had swordfish carpaccio, hangar steak, whole fish (slightly overcooked) and a pizza. We had to raise our voices to be heard, which is not our scene. The room, however is modern, calm, lush and gorgeous with great lighting. There are beautiful wines by the glass, and a helpful and friendly sommelier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedeatsoutalotDined on 10/24/2014Service was good but the food was unremarkable. There are far better Italian restaurants with similar price points in the city.Special Features:
- Birthday DelightDinnerDameDined on 10/22/2014Three of us went to celebrate my birthday. Shared three small plates (beet salad,pappardelle and yellowfin). Could have stopped there but didn't. Each had a entree: all superb! Salted Carmel dessert is heavenly. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, serious addition to the 'hoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2014Ate at Ceres' Table on a recent Friday night. The server was attentive & knowledgeable about the food and its preparation. We had an excellent wood-fired, thin-crust pizza for an appetizer--very tasty and far too big for an appetizer. For entrees, my companion had venison and I had roasted chicken. My chicken was seasoned well, had been brined & was juicy & flavorful. The eggplant that is was served with was a disappointment--undercooked and lacked flavor. My friend like the venison a lot. The space is modern and comfortable with seating far enough apart that one doesn't feel cramped. The sound level is a bit loud, but not excessively so. A good, serious-food addition to a 'hood filled with pubs, sandwich shops, asian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top notchFoodieBMeDined on 10/17/2014The food at Ceres' Table is very creative and will satisfy a foodie's desire for a low key, very friendly, neighborhood spot with gourmet food. The space is a nice improvement from their former location. Very attentive wait staff and a nice wine list with items at all price levels.Special Features:
- Ceres Table excellent findQuinnVIPDined on 10/14/2014We really enjoyed our meal at Ceres Table. We liked the variety of different dishes. We were a party of 6 and had four different choices, 2 fish and 2 meat, all of which were excellent. The menu reflected seasonal dishes and changes. There were several dishes that I want to come back and try; the fungi pizza, the hanger steak.Special Features:
- MehLeedawgDined on 10/12/2014Food was okay, but portions are small. Menu had very little options and I was not interested in what they had. Good service and such, my comments are based mainly on the menuSpecial Features:
- Pretty DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/11/2014Requested an open table in the front window. Hostess said no and squished us in the corner of the dining room. Took forever to place a drink order; wine was poured before the cocktails arrived. $30 truffle pizza (!) was ice cold and tasted like cardboard. Waitress said forego the pappardelle for the 26 layer lasagna as a shareable first course, never brought the lasagna and served us the side dishes we ordered (brussels sprouts and kale) with our little gem salad as a starter instead. Skate was way too salty; chicken boring; the "larger" orata (a $32 whole fish for two) was scarcely enough for one. Desserts were a bright spot. Wines are way overpriced. Vettel was too kind; the place is seriously understaffed and the food is very mediocre.
- a fine experienceagricolaDined on 10/11/2014we had a delightful dinner, shared a pizza and the pasta bolognese, and topped it off with a yummy olive oil chocolate cake bacio. service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My happy placeJulietDined on 10/7/2014I had yet another phenomenal meal here this week with a friend. We were greeted like family by the hostess and warmly remembered by Kiwi, our lovely server. Devoured the smoked swordfish. Loved the new spicy kale on the Fall menu. Went back to our favorite entree - the whole roasted Orata - and were thrilled all over again. Best new addition to the neighborhood in ages!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Up scale in LakeviewfoodandwineluvrDined on 10/7/2014This is a great neighborhood spot in Lakeview, friendly and welcoming. The food is a notch above what is generally available here. I went with 3 other people and we ate many of the small plates, a pizza, and shared one larger plate. The smoked swordfish carpaccio and the vitello tonnato were delicious! Thin crust pizzas are excellent. We had fresh mushrooms and truffle shavings on ours. It was amazing! We shared the Orata which is a large roasted fish with crispy skin and loads of lemon flavor. It was done perfectly. This is our second time and we'll keep going back. The service is personal and very prompt. Lots of help with the menu if requested. Suggest trying wines by the glass before ordering a bottle unless you know these wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in East LakeviewKentfitz2000Dined on 10/4/2014Cere's Table is a wonderful to our neighborhood. We arrived on time for our reservation and were seated immediately. Our service was very good, as the restaurant became busy our server did become a bit scares. Brussel sprouts, quail, pizza, beet salad, hanger steak and calves liver all outstanding. Dessert, salted caramel and a lemon sauce dish equally as fantastic. We were a party of six and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully designed restaurant!MarshDined on 10/4/2014I immediately liked that the hostess stand was not right at the door, but off to the side, and passed a few tables, yet we were greeted as we entered. Loved that the restaurant hold low ceilings; it kept the Saturday night noise level comfortable for conversation. The individual grey textured settees we such nice touch, all mellow colors in the restaurant design. Our waiter was extremely helpful in guiding us thru a mix of small and large plates. Pappardelle was delicious, as well as the pizza, which was baked perfectly. The orata was plenty for us to share. Torta della Nonna was a nice and simple dessert, not too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ceres Table was great!KristinVIPDined on 10/4/2014This was our second time to Ceres' Table and it was as good as the first. The food is outstanding and flavorful, the service is top-notch and the space is inviting. The Smoked Swordfish Carpaccio shouldn't be missed. The same goes for their fresh pastas and wood-fired pizzas.Special Features:
- Not worth the costNotReccomendedDined on 10/3/2014Three of us went. We each had a cocktail, a small plate and a pizza or salad. Everything was good, but kind of bland. There was no wow. The main concern is that its not worth the price. Add in a $40 (a cheaper option) bottle of wine and two shared deserts and we hit $230 after tip. Service was good except for the over zealous bus people who (literally) took my plate when I still had a slice of the pizza in my hand. Overall it was nto bad, but not very good either. I was disappointed. I will continue going to spacca napoli or panino's for neopolitan pizza and to lula for refined food.
- A little offTorrbrodVIPDined on 10/2/2014I just gave Ceres table a great review, but my partner and I were there recently for Dinning out for Equality and I was not as impressed. First of all, they really need more wait staff. The back area of the place is fairly large and was packed. I think there were 2 people waiting tables. We had to stop the bartender who was walking by to order our wine. The pasta I had was good but not great and the portion size was tiny and not worth the price (and I'm not in to gigantic portions). I would only give it 3 stars at this point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the new versionstayclassyDined on 10/1/2014Much-improved location and a much lovelier dining room. The first room you walk into is warm and inviting with a beautiful bar on one side and tables lining the other. There is a more expansive dining room in the back area, but we loved the first room and opted to sit there. Our table was by the window and had a couch on the wall side, which made us feel very at-home. I had the calabrese pizza which had a great crust and a delicious chorizo-like sausage. My friend had the hanger steak, which was a quality cut of meat however the fregola side was a little bland. Our server was courteous and knowledgable and guided us toward a very good Italian cabernet with our meal. All in all we were very happy with our experience.Special Features:
- AMAZING Italian foodUpstateNYfoodieDined on 9/30/2014This was the best Italian food I have had so far in Chicago. After living in Florence for several months I can be hard to impress when it comes to this particular cuisine, but this place knocked my socks off. Even the plating was absolutely stunning. BIG thumbs up.Special Features:
- Lived up to the Buzz!helperDined on 9/26/2014Enjoyed a very happy evening of fun, food & matchless service.Special Features:
- Food good, not great, bit overpricefoodandwineloverchgoVIPDined on 9/18/2014Salad was overpriced ($12) and had almost none of the described interesting ingredients...snap peas, heirloom tomatoes, faro...was just basically a hunk of lettuce. Whole fish was good though it was slightly overcooked and too much money ($34).Special Features:
- Great for sharingChewsieDined on 9/18/2014Five of us shared appetizers and dinner plates which is the basic idea here. Very tasty - nice wine list - well paced service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Food was very good. Flow of customers is kind of weird. You have to walk through the first part of the restaurant before you can find the host/ess. Wine is a little high for a neighborhood spot. Food was a little high price wise but not horrible. Service was good. But décor is somewhat blasé.
- Excellent Dinner. Plan to returnItalyDined on 9/12/2014Service is excellent, Each dish was excellent. Incredible presentation. Plan to return again with friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great move!TorrbrodVIPDined on 9/12/2014The move to Broadway from North Clark is a real plus for Lakeview. The old Frog and Snail has been opened up and brightened up but is still warm and modern. We went early but the place quickly filled up. Our server was friendly and knowledgable. I do not like sweet drinks but my husband and I both ordered the Sunflower tequila based, smokey and delishious. I had the seafood misto- deep fried squid, smelt, artichoke and kale with a large shrimp on top and aioli. We both had the bolognese lasagna with black truffle. It was delishious and portioned correctly but the truffle shaved on top was tasteless. The red wine from Sicily (which is where the chef hails) that was bright and complex for around $60. The list is comprehensive but a bit pricy.Special Features:
- Fresh take on ItalianboraloraDined on 9/5/2014This new incarnation of Cere's Table, which recently relocated from Andersonville, never disappoints! The menu is diverse and unusual, and very fresh. The flatbreads are awesome! We love to go with friends and share small plates. And the wine list is amazing. This is one of our favorites in Lakeview.Special Features:
- wonderful addition to LakeviewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2014I've eaten here twice. Both times, the food was imaginative but not too silly (as is sometimes the case). . . and very yummy for the semi-sophisticated palette. My only complaint this second time was the music. We were there early to get a table, but the music from 6 - 7 was more suitable for a late night bar. Kind of teenie bopperish . . . hard rocky. Maybe save that for the late night (younger) crowd?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Mustleelu18Dined on 8/31/2014The brunch items are delicious! I had the benedict with butter poached lobster - it was divine. Our server, Lance, was phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost some LusterHotelwizVIPDined on 8/30/2014Fourth visit to Ceres' Table, and kitchen and server had a sub-par night. Took 30 minutes for a server to take our order, finally submitted to another server who we flagged as he was passing by our table. Swordfish carpaccio was excellent, as were the calamari and hanger steak. Pizza was soggy in the center (undercooked?), but we didn't want to delay our dinner so we didn't send it back. Wine list is terrific, and service is very friendly. We'll give Ceres another chance, hoping that it was just an off night during Labor Day weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.