Century Bar and Grill
207 W Holland Ave
Alpine, TX 79830Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Century Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thecenturybarandgrill.com/
- Phone: 4328371922
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Alex Acosta
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Century Bar and Grill
Century Bar and Grill offers traditional Texan cuisine with a French twist. Hand painted ceilings and plush leather booths create a comfortable, unique and inviting atmosphere where service is of utmost importance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Century Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
- Not Good At AllOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2014Service was very slow, the waitress was very nice but way way to slow...we weren't in a hurry but really? It took 30 minutes to get a salad out to us. Chicken Fried Steak was NOT what I have had before in the great state of Texas so I fear that out of stater's will think this is what we eat and tell their friends that it is no big deal. Great place to stay (Holland Hotel), terrible place to eat...
- Little GemBobbiSDined on 4/8/2014This little restaurant is a four star restaurant in a town of 5000 people in the middle of the West Texas mountains. On your way to big bend do yourself a favor and do not miss this!! Located in the Holland hotel it is open for dinner most days and Sunday brunch. Exceptional wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alpine Texas jewel of a restaurantBobbiSDined on 4/7/2014This restaurant is located within and next to the Holland hotel, which is an historic hotel located in downtown Alpine Texas. This town is know for it's tourism stop for those going to Big Bend National Park as well as those attending functions at the Sul Ross state University, The hotel is very nice; but the restaurant gave us a true surprise! Wonderful tenderloin ,Cornish game hen, margarita lime chicken with couscous, striped bass en papillote, habanero glazed pork tenderloin; yummy appetizers of which mine was the fried green tomatoes with chopped onions and and fresh salad greens. Other appetizers were available. There was a daily off menu addition as well. Dessert if you want to top off your meal was nicely varied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimersBrockNRollDined on 3/13/2014Wife and I are here in our first visit to Alpine. Service, food, atmosphere were all very good! We sat on patio and listened to a local band called A Few Too Many play while we ate/drank. They were very entertaining and we had an overall good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint RestaurantLuv2dineDined on 3/8/2014Enjoyed food, wish they took it up an extra notch, then it would have been outstanding. Lots of kids running around, which I didn't enjoy with a restaraunt with these type of prices. Getting to be one of my worst pet peeves how parents let kids run wild or cry and do nothing about it. Service was great. Only complaint was that for a party of five, it took an hour to get our entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/2/2014Nice all the way around. Some nice art on the walls .................Special Features:
- Very nicevtuckDined on 2/27/2014I am a local and this is one of my favorite places to dine. Be it special or not. A fantastic restaurant on all counts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Valentine's Day DinnerValentinesDayDinersDined on 2/14/2014We had the surf and turf and it was wonderful! Our server, Zohra was fabulous. Thanks to the Century Bar and Grill for a fabulous evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food butdatenightparentsDined on 12/28/2013They have a great menu, we had calamari and it was flavorless so we asked for a cocktail sauce and that helped. We both had the ribeye which had great flavor and seasoned perfect but it was tough too tough to have paid 34 a plate. We did enjoy the large selection of local beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent date nightMattDined on 12/22/2013Excellent seating, food, ambience. Seasonal selection of various meat dishes with delicious sides. Full bar and expceptional wine list. Quiet low lit interior. Fire place and fountain in the patio area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food oasis in TranspecoswesternmDined on 12/22/2013If you're in the Transpecos region and in Alpine (or Marfa or Fort Davis), The Century Bar and Grill is a great place to dine. Somewhat on the pricey side, but worth it for food and atmosphere. Beef items quite nice, and cooked just right. Had a green tomato appetizer that was delicious. Bar has some great specialty drinks, one including jalapeno pepper that's very good; wine list good, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- late night accommodations23SkidooDined on 12/12/2013got in late on the train, our reservation was still good, the food was fabulous, and everyone was very accommodating.Special Features:
- We had a guest in town andFoodFriendDined on 11/30/2013We had a guest in town and thought it would be a great place to take them for dinner on a Saturday night. We ordered within ten minutes of being seated and did not receive our food for an hour and fifteen minutes. We ordered salads and a burger. The waitress checked on us about three or four times while we were waiting, did not offer extra bread the entire wait and did not notice until after an hour that we still had not gotten our meal. Our waitress had only two tables other than ours. After our food came, we were told there had been an issue in the kitchen all day. That would have been nice to know when we were seated or when we ordered. If we do return we will request a different waitress and make sure we are not hungry when seated.
- Thanksgiving DayItinerantDined on 11/28/2013We had reservations for 7pm after having eaten a traditional Turkey Day meal at 1pm. When we arrived, the host told us the only food was a prix fixe complete traditional meal. No fault of their own, but we were interested in maybe only a bowl of soup. So we sat at the nice little bar and watched football over drinks. I would go back and try the food when we're next in town, but Alpine is a LONG way from home. The bartender, whose name I did not catch, was super nice.
- 18th BirthdayAKMcDonaldDined on 11/22/2013First time at Century Grill. Food was very good, service was very good. The manager generously gave my son a piece of Bourbon Pecan Pie for his 18th birthday. Others also ordered pie and said it was the best pecan pie they had ever eaten. Would definitely dine here again for special occasion or happy hour with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graceful Restaurant Par ExcellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/21/2013Incroyable. That's the one word I sense says it well when describing how my dining experience was at the Century Bar and Grill. When you reserve a table at a restaurant more than five (5) hours away from your home, you hope to get a good experience. However, it's rare that you get an incredible, first class restaurant with five star food AND complete personalization for your dining experience. I booked the dinner as a special dinner to celebrate my husband's 67th birthday. The restaurant responded by making the celebration more than spectacular. The restaurant and the maitre-d' had a special table for us and told us there was a complimentary bottle of champagne and dessert all set for our special dinner. Our evening was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambianceGraldaVIPDined on 11/2/2013The Century is a great place to go in Alpine. The hostess should be commended for her friendliness and sweetness. We enjoyed talking with her. The salad with the grapefruit is terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurant!lavendermlDined on 8/25/2013This is a welcome addition to the little town of Alpine. And it is especially great for 5 reasons: wonderful food, exceptional service (very rare Southwest TX), great wine list, open late, and open on Sundays!Special Features:
- Great spot for dinerRpkinDined on 8/15/2013Nice room, quail appetizer was excellent, salmon presented beautifully but a tiny bit overdone. Small but well chosen wine list. We'll be back, definitely.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, wonderful serviceLeahKDined on 8/12/2013We had a very good experience at the Century Bar and Grill. The food was excellent, the ambience wonderful, and the service was really outstanding. We were in a good mood and folks serving us matched our mood perfectly! The food was very good, including an outstanding goat cheese appetizer. The room was lovely and the view to the patio outside was great. Could not ask for a better dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful evening in West Texas!RileyVIPDined on 8/11/2013Our first visit to Century Grill, and what a wonderful experience! We are from Houston but visit the Big Bend as often as we can. The Century Grill is as good or better than some of the fine restaurants we enjoy at home. Our waiter was knowledgeable and charming; the menu is interesting and creative; the food preparation was outstanding. Unique setting in the restored but vintage Holland Hotel added to the adventure of fine dining in Alpine. An unexpectedly delicious meal! We will return!Special Features:
- "I love the relaxed feel ofScenicBigBendDined on 8/4/2013"I love the relaxed feel of this place - like a comfortable dining room in a friends home. I definitely would return to try more dishesSpecial Features:
- This is a great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/29/2013This is a great restaurant and bar in the historic Holland Hotel. Lovely interiors, cozy seating. The food is amazingly fresh, tasty and really delicious. The staff is friendly but service a bit chaotic. The wine list really needs some work and improvement. But overall a very cool place to dine in Alpine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional diningMattDined on 7/10/2013Century Bar & Grill is a great place to have a special dinner or a weekly outing. Low lit interior with modern bar area. Large, narrow outdoor dining area in a courtyard. Seating is spacious; no need to worry about sitting too close to another table. Staff was very kind and didn't hover over us. Fireplace and sitting/coffee table area at back end of courtyard. Lengthy wine list Modern food menu. Some old country favorites with a twist, and much more. I had a home made chicken fried steak with jalapeno/chorizo/corn gravy and fresh green beans. My wife had a lemon chicken leg with mint couscous. Both were to die for. I'd suggest reservations for Friday - Sunday, but other nights will probably do without.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice addition to local sceneKtwoDined on 6/16/2013Century Bar and Grill is a nice addition to the local restaurant scene. If it's a holiday or special event, seems best to get a reservation. Seems a little pricey, but that's okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night al frescoTonyDined on 6/14/2013We enjoy dining al fresco, and it was a perfect Friday night to dine in the patio, which was decorated with desert plants - including a cactus in beautiful bloom. The food was excellent, the presentation was attractive. It was the first night for our waitress, Laura. She was friendly, attentive, well-informed about the menu and a careful listener. She kept us advised when my husband's special order beverage took a little longer to prepare. Thanks for a very pleasant evening in Alpine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The grilled rib steak wasLocalfoodieDined on 4/25/2013The grilled rib steak was outstanding- served with port wine sauce , asparagus and chile dusted onion rings. The wait staff was superb- very solicitous but not intrusive. The wait staff are young college students from Sull Ross University and very polite and friendly. It was a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Nice but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2013Pickins slim in Alpine, w/Reata & Century as only upscale dining options. Never having been to Alpine, opted for Century-no real reason over Reata. Was almost empty at 7:p except for a few people in bar; got busy around 8:p. Decor & ambiance are simple, classic, pleasant. Pan-fried trout w/risotto & grilled squash was excellent, as was prime rib w/mashed potatoes. Both were specials from wall board without pricing-typical-although billed $30 and $40 respectively. Thought was outrageous, considering regular menu prices for meals ranged from only about $16-$25. Small wine pours, although had free drink coupons from hotel we forgot to use. Waitstaff tried very hard to "perform" like urban pros-odd. Overall, though, nice meal & experience.
- We enjoyed our dinner in theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013We enjoyed our dinner in the restaurant and the time we spent in the bar. Food and drink were good and the service was outstanding. We would return again to this establishment.
- Dining worthy of a much larger townOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/13/2013There are not many fine dining options in Alpine. Century Bar and Grill and Reata are the only options. Both are good, but only Century Bar and Grill accepts OpenTable reservations. This is a must on a busy night.Special Features:
- Best dinner my wife and IOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/12/2013Best dinner my wife and I enjoyed in the Big Bend region during spring break. The service was impeccable and the meal was delicious. Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- We lucked in to some lastFrankDined on 3/10/2013We lucked in to some last minute reservations through Open Table. The kitchen was slow but the wait was worth it. I had a Wonderful pork chop in apple cider garnish with fresh veggies and a nice Chardonnay. The ambience of the old redone Holland Hotel adds to the experience. Don't miss it when you are in Alpine.Special Features:
- Excellent food, ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/13/2013Excellent food, Excellent service, Good for Alpine.Special Features:
- The recent renovations insideOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/3/2013The recent renovations inside and outside the old Alpine landmark that is the Holland Hotel have,once again, made the hotel and restaurant a wonderful place to stop and get a taste and sense of the "last frontier." The restaurant is charming, the outdoor interior courtyard inviting, and the food was quite good. The restaurant has only recently reopened so the menu, though quite diverse, will only get bigger. Our food was prepared just as we asked,our server was quite knowledgeable about the menu selection and helpful in her solicited recommendations, and our entire dining experience was most pleasant and enjoyable. It's one of Alpine's nicer restaurants for sure.Special Features:
- My dining experience at CenturyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/26/2013My dining experience at Century Bar and Grill was delightful! I had the chicken paillard, and though I did not think I would eat it all, I managed to anyway. It was delicious! In my party, also ordered were the pork chop, the fried pork (which I believe was a special), mussels, and the quail. All were very satisfying and we left nothing left over. For desert, the four of us enjoyed one serving of the chocolate torte covered with white chocolate and served with creme fraiche. So indulgent, and one was enough for all of us after a very filling meal. We all left very satisfied.Special Features:
- I had the chicken fry andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/20/2013I had the chicken fry and it was great. We had a great time. Thanks, TySpecial Features: