1007 Locust Street
Des Moines, IA 50309Neighborhood:
Downtown Des Moines
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centrodining.com/
- Phone: 5152481780x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday- Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: George Formaro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: www.centrodesmoines.com
- Private Party Facilities: www.centrodesmoines.com
- Private Party Contact: Rod De Angelo 5152481780x
A word from Centro Restaurant
Conveniently located in downtown Des Moines lives one of the city’s most popular restaurants, Centro. The urban eatery specializes in delicious Italian-inspired food featuring fresh ingredients and masterful preparation by Chef George Formaro. Whether you’re ordering a multi-course meal or grabbing a drink and pizza at the bar, Centro’s lively, casual yet upscale atmosphere makes it perfect for dining with friends, family, clients and business associates.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Centro Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Des Moines ›
Centro Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (98)fit for foodies (64)good for groups (61)romantic (50)great for lunch (47)notable wine list (47)neighborhood gem (42)hot spot (42)great for outdoor dining (33)great for brunch (19)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (10)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Took my in-laws here for my in-law's 40th wedding anniversary. They had never been before and thought it was TERRIFIC! The portions were incredibly filling, our waiter was very attentive to us, will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014The food, including dessert, was delicious. The server was very attentive and polite. Even the drinks were perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - so-so servicePtlandBobDined on 8/28/2014After being seated and water poured, it was at least 30 minutes until somebody came by to ask if we wanted anything to drink/eat. And that was only because I flagged down a server and asked if anybody was going to take our order. But the food - as always - was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousHard2pleaseDined on 8/27/2014A little expensive but perfect for date night! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great deals on MondayDaffyDined on 8/25/2014Half price pizza is the only reason I would revisit Centro. Otherwise, food is mediocre for the price you pay. The pork chop and tofu gnocci my bf and I ordered on our first visit was a disappointment. The New Yorker pizza we ordered on our second visit was decent, but we both agreed that it's definitely not worth paying full price for. We stopped visiting Centro until we discover the promotion they have. Also, the restaurant is so loud, we have to literally yell at each other across the table. There's absolutely no privacy since the tables are really close to each other. The service however, met the expectation. Other than the breadboy who clearly hates to be there, the hostesses are polite, and the servers are very attentive.
- Frank NelsenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We loved the atmosphere. the Ribeye was cooked to perfection, and the beef medallions melted in you mouth. the chicken saltimbocca was a great dish! enjoyed a great glass of wine with dinner. we had fantastic service, she truly made us comfortable and did not rush us. it was a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- highly recommended!getinmybellyDined on 8/22/2014Everything was great. Server was awesome. Appetizer was delicious and the main course was perfect. I had the "George's favorite" calzone. Leftovers the next day were just as delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favoriteDined on 8/20/2014wonderful service and excellent food! We will be visiting this restaurant again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceRoniDined on 8/20/2014We went to Centro in Des Moines for a last dinner with our son after moving him into Drake University. Because we went at am off time (3:30 pm) they had a limited menu with was actually perfect--appetizers, pizzas, salads. There were plenty of choices depending on what you wanted. The crab cakes, salads and pizzas were all perfect! Thanks Centro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!kdamitzDined on 8/19/2014This place is great, okay for kids - not meant for kids, but they are allowedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday night birthdayeem309Dined on 8/18/2014My husband, 18-month old, and I went to Centro on Monday to celebrate my birthday. It was a great dinner...we took advantage of the Monday 1/2 price pizza special and ordered a pizza and cavatelli to share. Lots of great food and plenty to take home. Husband's cocktail was delicious and toddler loved the South Union bread and bites of everything else. Consistently a great place...kind of spendy for everyday but great for "sometimes". We always enjoy Centro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceIslandjerDined on 8/16/2014While the food was good, the service was what really stood out. Our waiter, Travis was very personable, and answered all our questions. He was always there when we needed him, but did not hover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DISAPPOINTMENTMARGODined on 8/16/2014THOUGHT 'RESTAURANT WEEK' SPECIAL MENU VERY UN-APPETIZING. CUCUMBER SOUP, GOAT RAGU, NOT SOMETHING I'D EXPECT FOR PREMIER ITALIAN DOWNTOWN EATERY. LEMON TART DESSERT WAS VERRRY DRY. OUR PARTY OF FOUR OPTED FOR ENTREE ON REGULAR MENU.Special Features:
- What a great evening!!!amarycaDined on 8/15/2014It was the place our 18 year old chose to celebrate her birthday with several friends. We had two separate tables--one for the celebration and one for the parents nearby. Bobby, our waiter, did a fabulous job of taking care of our 2 groups. The 2 girls celebrating their 18th birthdays were given complimentary desserts with candles. It was a very nice evening. Centro's was the perfect place to celebrate. And our girls felt very special on their special day. Several at my table ordered the scallops--yummm! Will definitely order those again!Special Features:
- noisy outdoor diningbirthdaydinnerDined on 8/6/2014The outdoor setting is a good option, however, street traffic creates much noise. Service could improve.Special Features:
- awesome experienceSaraDined on 8/1/2014I recently visited Centro during my sister's bachelorette weekend in Des Moines, and I've all ready recommended it to friends who will soon be in the area! The food was absolutely amazing, wine list had something for everyone, and service was phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful! Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014We go to Centro every time we visit from Bettendorf. It's wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable!Love2dineDined on 7/30/2014The service was amazing! Our waiter was pure sweetness and the food was delicious! =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing. Again.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/30/2014$30 salmon dish was extremely overdone and dry. Waiter was sullen and rude. Hostess tried to seat us inside even though we had a reservation requesting outside and there was a table available. Overall felt unwelcome and ripped off. Unfortunately not unusual for Centro.Special Features:
- Meh...DocKDined on 7/26/2014This was our second visit within a couple of months. The service was quite competent, but the food was mediocre at best. One of my companions had Greek salad and I had chicken saltimbocca. The salad, according to my friend, was not up to the standard of quality we had expected after our previous visit. My dish was also disappointing. The chicken had been prepared beforehand (as had the overcooked fettucine) and was not properly suffused with the taste of the prosciutto and the other flavors. The servings were overly generous; it was apparent that Centro is trying to impress its clientele with quantity; quality is only a secondary priority. The restaurant was busy and too noisy for conversation among four people at normal volume.Special Features:
- Delicious DiningBB03Dined on 7/26/2014My college girlfriends and I had a girls weekend and chose Centro to dine for the evening. I ordered the Veggie Burger and it was delicious! We all loved the bread that is served before the meal and each enjoyed a cocktail with dinner. There were many items on the menu I still hope to try! Looking forward to dining at Centro on future trips to Des Moines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SOOOO GOOD!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Came to Centro for my husband's birthday. I ordered the Three Cheese Medallions, and oh-my-goodness, to die for!! Hubby ordered the ribeye, which was just as good! Both were perfectly done... wine list has lots to offer. Server was very friendly! Ambience is somewhat romantic with low lighting, but is a large open room with many tables so if privacy is what you're looking for, probably not the best place for your occasion. But if excellent food is what you're looking for, this is your place!Special Features:
- Relaxed Sunday BrunchFoodieFamilyandFriendDined on 7/20/2014We took an Italian friend to a Sunday Brunch and we all enjoyed our meal and the service. The food was worth foodie photos and we did take and send several shots. Thanks for a lovely experience combined with delicious food. Oh, and the desserts were over the top amazing. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarkDined on 7/16/2014This restaurant always inspires conversation for the work groups I entertain for dinner. The staff is professional, food is very good and cocktails refreshing after a long day at the office. The environment is the livliest in Des Moines - very appropriate for relationship building!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointingHeadlineDined on 7/12/2014Centro is a go-to place for special dinners, Sunday evening getaways, an after-show recap, and let's-go-somewhere-nice-but-doesn't-have-to-be-expensive venue. The menu has a nice range from pizza to interesting entrees -- $10 to $30 range. Wood-fired pizzas, salad and a beer or wine are a staple, as are their burgers as well as special entrees. Atmosphere is usually active and fun without being pretentious or stuffy. Very comfortable place for our family and an asset to Des Moines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningschuth4Dined on 7/11/2014Mary out server was outstanding / hospitable / warm and energetic. The food was excellent and served in a timely manner. The overall experience was a wonderful way to spend an evening.Special Features:
- Wonderfulwalte3Dined on 7/10/2014My boyfriend and I had never been to Centro before. We decided to go there for a date night. It was wonderful! The service was great. Out waiter new the menu very well and gave us great suggestions on what was good since we had never been there. Will definitely be going back again. Great place for a date!Special Features:
- Evening outGregDined on 7/5/2014Nice evening out to dinner with my wife. Always enjoy Centro. Great food and no wait with our reservation! Enjoy the atmosphere, the décor and the location. Food has always been great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Centro getting betterDocKDined on 7/5/2014This was my first visit to Centro in some time. One reason we have not dined there more frequently is that the noise level (despite the installation of a few acoustic ceiling tiles) continues to make conversation at normal volume difficult. Otherwise, I was favorably impressed by the service--our server was prompt, courteous, helpful, and efficient. One minor complaint: don't remove plates until ALL in the party are finished eating. The food was good; fresh and plentiful. All three in our party had the same dish and it received unanimous approval. Centro is moving in the right direction.Special Features:
- Terrific!JsteyzDined on 7/2/2014I went for a birthday dinner with my boyfriend. We are from Ames and wanted to get out and go somewhere new. We were recommended Centro by friends and after checking it out online decided to try it! We ordered small onion rings, which seemed to have Parmesan or something in the coating and were very good. We each had soup- he had ham and bean which I also sampled and I had the tomato basil. It was more like a pasta sauce but the tortellini was excellent! We split the Steak Centro? The beef tenderloin whatever it's called and it was perfect. They gave us each a plate with half of the full portion, it was a great size! We finished with the marshmallow sundae, just as good as the rest. Ended up at about $70 for a 4 course meal- not bad!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Centro RocksD2K2Dined on 6/26/2014great service, wonderful discounts on martini's (3-6) and they were great; Just a tad noisy especially with yelling from the kitchen. Otherwise, fun and a great place to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always on our listHollywoodDined on 6/21/2014We were in from out if town and always try to dine at Centro. We have never been disappointed with our meal . . . Have had lunch, dinner and brunch 👍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good betiowaepicureDined on 6/21/2014Consistently excellent food and service. Dishes are interesting without being pretentious. Not an intimate venue (it's a see-&-be-seen kind of place), but if you don't require that, I'd recommend Centro anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch as UsualPESPDined on 6/21/2014We expected a superb dining experience and were not disappointed. Service was top notch. Food was delicious. We had the meat and cheese platter as a "primo" and the server explained what the cheeses and meats were. The plate included wonderful olives, toasted bread and marcona almonds. Our main course was scallops, on a bed of spinach sautéed with a spicy sausage, and fingerling potatoes. The scallops were seared and were buttery and tender…absolutely the best we've had in years. Love the vibe of this place…its opening years ago led to the revitalization of the Des Moines downtown area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!PringalDined on 6/18/2014Our team had a celebratory lunch at Centro. The staff was very accommodating and the food was terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bigguy57Dined on 6/15/2014Things can just happen but my steak ($35) was ordered medium and it came out very well done and tough as shoe leather; garlic mashed were room temperature to cool; my other guests food was pretty good; mostly pasta dishes. I will go back, but probably for pizza or pasta dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary Date!OneYearOfMarriageDined on 6/15/2014My wife of one year and I had dinner here for our anniversary and really enjoyed the food and service. They even surprised us with an amazing piece of the best cheese cake I've had in a long time. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Great Food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014Des Moines' best is getting better. Great food and service. Our favorite downtown spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014I had an excellent experience for my birthday dinner! Our waiter was wonderful and the food was outstanding!Special Features:
- Upscale but unpretentiousFinalnightDined on 6/7/2014Had dinner here while on vacation in Des Moines. All of the food was excellent. Service was a bit slow. Portion sizes are large so watch out with how much you are ordering. Had a great time here and would definitely come back when in the area.Special Features: