1007 Locust Street
Des Moines, IA 50309Neighborhood:
Downtown Des Moines
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centrodining.com/
- Phone: 5152481780x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday- Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: George Formaro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: www.centrodesmoines.com
- Private Party Facilities: www.centrodesmoines.com
- Private Party Contact: Rod De Angelo 5152481780x
A word from Centro Restaurant
Conveniently located in downtown Des Moines lives one of the city’s most popular restaurants, Centro. The urban eatery specializes in delicious Italian-inspired food featuring fresh ingredients and masterful preparation by Chef George Formaro. Whether you’re ordering a multi-course meal or grabbing a drink and pizza at the bar, Centro’s lively, casual yet upscale atmosphere makes it perfect for dining with friends, family, clients and business associates.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Centro Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Des Moines ›
Centro Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (106)fit for foodies (81)good for groups (67)romantic (57)notable wine list (53)neighborhood gem (48)great for lunch (47)hot spot (46)great for outdoor dining (29)vibrant bar scene (18)great for brunch (18)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (6)Show More
- Once again, they are rockstars!4GivenDined on 10/21/2014Frequent diners. Love this place. Food was awesome and service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Centro for my birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Centro is one of the better restaurants in Des Moines. When asked by my wife where I wanted to celebrate my birthday, Centro immediately came to mind. From the reservations through Open Table to the service and the meal it was a great experience. Our server was friendly and helpful. The beer selection, as I prefer beer to wine, was plentiful with craft beers. The homemade cavatelli is my favorite. The portion is large, the noodles were firm, and the Graziano sausage mixed in gave a nice flavor to the sauce. My wife had the gnocchi which were also firm and held the sauce with each bite. Of course we started the meal with a pizza appetizer, the Quattro Formaggi Red pizza. A wonderful meal with plenty left to take home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of My Favorites!NorwalkMomDined on 10/18/2014My husband, 4-year-old son, and I wanted a nice place to go out to eat to celebrate my husband's and my birthday that was also kid-friendly. We love Centro so it was on the top of our list and happened to have openings to make a reservation on the night we were looking for. While Centro is a nicer, pricier restaurant, it is also very kid-friendly with lots of kids food choices, a kids menu with crayons, and (what my son thought was the best) the tables have a white paper cover that he could color on wherever he wanted. Our food was amazing, the wine list was wonderful and overall we left feeling happy, full and satisfied. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone and everyone!Special Features:
- Bloody Mary Bar was phenomenal4GivenDined on 10/18/2014Great brunch and the BM bar was top notch. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We dined with a party of 7 Everyone loved their food and the service was great too!Special Features:
- Centro never disappointsmdoyle3834Dined on 10/16/2014Went to Centro this past week and it was great as usual. Can't beat their South Union bread and they always make special order of Chicken Parmesan for my son. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so.ttvvDined on 10/14/2014Generally a great restaurant, this most recent visit was a little disappointing. Their beer menu (on an iPad) wasn't up to date, so we weren't able to order what we wanted. The bread basket came with only three pieces and the bread was dried out. The waitress brought the wrong entree out to my dining partner. My chicken and prosciutto pasta dish was really salty and not worth $19. Rather disappointing and not what I'd expect from this premier restaurant.
- Favorite Place in Des Moines4friendsDined on 10/14/2014I have tried many restaurants in Des Moines and always return to Centro. By far my favorite place to dine. Always great service, amazing food, and the perfect ambiance which is a combination of romantic and casual at the same time. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Very good experience overall. A bit pricey but worth it for a special occasion. Asked for a window table and was seated along a row of seats in the middle of other couples which wasn't very intimate but probably done so to maximize their space which is understandable. Food was very good and steaks were prepared well. Excellent wait staff also!Special Features:
- Great food, vibrant atmosphereTAPTDined on 10/3/2014I have eaten here several times, always having a good experience. Menu is varied, with interesting daily specials. The open atmosphere makes things a little loud, but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Our reservation was fairly late on Thursday night so the restaurant was not overcrowded as I remembered it to be. The waiter was very pleasant and the food was great.Special Features:
- ServiceTrynewplacesDined on 9/27/2014I have always loved going to centros but this time the server wasn't always waiting in us, we actually had 2 other servers at one point! One server was to get us drinks and another was to get us the dessert menu. It almost seemed like our server was to busy for us...I would go back to centros again but I don't want the same server!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLingoDined on 9/27/2014I've been here three times now, as every time I go to Des Moines, Centro is on my list of places to go. The service is friendly and efficient; the food is delicious, and the atmosphere is casual elegant. I've seen diners dressed up, and I've seen diners very casually dressed. It's a great spot for lunch or dinner, with a nice variety of menu items. I loved the roast brussel sprouts with aioli, the Greek salad and the pizzas. I had a corn risotto that was delicious and my companions thoroughly enjoyed their pasta dishes. I would like to try their brunch the next time I'm in Des Moines, but I'm certain that will be equally delicious. I highly recommend Centro. My only complaint is there isn't one in the Chicago suburbs!Special Features:
- EnjoyableKenWDined on 9/24/2014Nice warm lunch experience on a cold rainy day. Jessica was very hospitable and accommodating. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Outstanding AGAINRLReasonsVIPDined on 9/22/2014Last minute decision at 8:00pm - excellent meal, great service, fairly reasonable prices. Always a great choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going awaySaraDined on 9/19/2014My family and I gathered for a going away event and the meal was outstanding. The reservation time needed to be changed, and the individual on the phone made me like I had just called my mom to tell her we were running late and changed the reservation without hesitation. The service was attentive, but not overly so. Thank you for a memorable evening!Special Features:
- Sunday!joyfuldiningDined on 9/14/2014Great place for Sunday brunch! You can have your choice of omelets and French toast; top it all off with a Bloody Mary. Be sure to GO!Special Features:
- OutstandingDirectorVIPDined on 9/13/2014We have never had a bad meal or bad service. One of the most outstanding restaurants we have dined at around the United States.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and theaterrockyr49Dined on 9/13/2014My wife and I took her son and his fiance to Des Moines to see Phantom. We decided on Centro for our dinner. Our first time there and it was great. I had the lobster ravioli, my wife the 3 cheese medallions, her son the pork chop and his fiance the chicken francese. At the end of the meal there was not a bite left on anyone's plate. We each sampled all of the dishes and could not pick one that was the best. The sides were equally as good. For desert we had the George's marshmallow sundae and a piece of cheese cake. All of it superb. We have found a new place to eat when we go to Des Moines.Special Features:
- SGADFDASGADFDADined on 9/11/2014Food was outstanding. I had the rigatoni with sausage. Delicious and so was the house salad. The wine (Pinot Noir from Chile was great) The restaurant was a little cool; I felt the ventilation. Other than that, it was a great experience.Special Features:
- Stellar!discerningDined on 9/10/2014I've relied on Centro for special dates, Valentine's Day, birthday celebrations and my wedding reception. It routinely exceeds expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AmazingTonyDined on 9/6/2014The atmosphere at Centro is amazing the the service outstanding. The waitress asked if we were going to the concert in town that night and stated she would make sure we got there in time. Very impressive to say the least. The seafood and chicken dishes were top of the line. Just an amazing experience all around.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Delicious food. Fun atmosphere. Special treatment. I'm going back the next time I'm in town...better yet I may drive the two hours there just for the great dining experience.Special Features:
- Great as usualEricksneDined on 9/5/2014Took my parents here for dinner. The first time they have been. It didn't disappoint. The food was spot on as usual, and the service was great.Special Features:
- Almost there, but not quiteFoodieDined on 9/5/2014Centro has great ambience, an energetic vibe, an excellent waiting staff, a fine bar service, and a very good selection of wines. One of our appetizers was quite good: calamari, while the other was so-so: fried ravioli (skip it!) was a bit tough. The salad with gorgonzola and pecans was delicious. I ordered scallops and they were tasty, but overcooked and therefore not tender. It came with a bed of spinach laced with pancetta that was flavorful and nicely done. My husband ordered chicken saltimbocca, which was again just okay. I hope the restaurant reads its reviews and strives to improve these main courses.Special Features:
- Awesome!SkylineDined on 9/5/2014Took a friend from Atlanta to dinner at Centro and a tour of downtown. She was impressed by everything. Our meals were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!bekacashDined on 8/30/2014Took my in-laws here for my in-law's 40th wedding anniversary. They had never been before and thought it was TERRIFIC! The portions were incredibly filling, our waiter was very attentive to us, will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrate8wellDined on 8/30/2014The food, including dessert, was delicious. The server was very attentive and polite. Even the drinks were perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - so-so servicePtlandBobDined on 8/28/2014After being seated and water poured, it was at least 30 minutes until somebody came by to ask if we wanted anything to drink/eat. And that was only because I flagged down a server and asked if anybody was going to take our order. But the food - as always - was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousHard2pleaseDined on 8/27/2014A little expensive but perfect for date night! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great deals on MondayDaffyDined on 8/25/2014Half price pizza is the only reason I would revisit Centro. Otherwise, food is mediocre for the price you pay. The pork chop and tofu gnocci my bf and I ordered on our first visit was a disappointment. The New Yorker pizza we ordered on our second visit was decent, but we both agreed that it's definitely not worth paying full price for. We stopped visiting Centro until we discover the promotion they have. Also, the restaurant is so loud, we have to literally yell at each other across the table. There's absolutely no privacy since the tables are really close to each other. The service however, met the expectation. Other than the breadboy who clearly hates to be there, the hostesses are polite, and the servers are very attentive.
- Frank NelsenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We loved the atmosphere. the Ribeye was cooked to perfection, and the beef medallions melted in you mouth. the chicken saltimbocca was a great dish! enjoyed a great glass of wine with dinner. we had fantastic service, she truly made us comfortable and did not rush us. it was a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- highly recommended!getinmybellyDined on 8/22/2014Everything was great. Server was awesome. Appetizer was delicious and the main course was perfect. I had the "George's favorite" calzone. Leftovers the next day were just as delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favoriteDined on 8/20/2014wonderful service and excellent food! We will be visiting this restaurant again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceRoniDined on 8/20/2014We went to Centro in Des Moines for a last dinner with our son after moving him into Drake University. Because we went at am off time (3:30 pm) they had a limited menu with was actually perfect--appetizers, pizzas, salads. There were plenty of choices depending on what you wanted. The crab cakes, salads and pizzas were all perfect! Thanks Centro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!kdamitzDined on 8/19/2014This place is great, okay for kids - not meant for kids, but they are allowedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday night birthdayeem309Dined on 8/18/2014My husband, 18-month old, and I went to Centro on Monday to celebrate my birthday. It was a great dinner...we took advantage of the Monday 1/2 price pizza special and ordered a pizza and cavatelli to share. Lots of great food and plenty to take home. Husband's cocktail was delicious and toddler loved the South Union bread and bites of everything else. Consistently a great place...kind of spendy for everyday but great for "sometimes". We always enjoy Centro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceIslandjerDined on 8/16/2014While the food was good, the service was what really stood out. Our waiter, Travis was very personable, and answered all our questions. He was always there when we needed him, but did not hover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DISAPPOINTMENTMARGODined on 8/16/2014THOUGHT 'RESTAURANT WEEK' SPECIAL MENU VERY UN-APPETIZING. CUCUMBER SOUP, GOAT RAGU, NOT SOMETHING I'D EXPECT FOR PREMIER ITALIAN DOWNTOWN EATERY. LEMON TART DESSERT WAS VERRRY DRY. OUR PARTY OF FOUR OPTED FOR ENTREE ON REGULAR MENU.Special Features:
- What a great evening!!!amarycaDined on 8/15/2014It was the place our 18 year old chose to celebrate her birthday with several friends. We had two separate tables--one for the celebration and one for the parents nearby. Bobby, our waiter, did a fabulous job of taking care of our 2 groups. The 2 girls celebrating their 18th birthdays were given complimentary desserts with candles. It was a very nice evening. Centro's was the perfect place to celebrate. And our girls felt very special on their special day. Several at my table ordered the scallops--yummm! Will definitely order those again!Special Features: