1007 Locust Street
Des Moines, IA 50309Neighborhood:
Downtown Des Moines
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centrodining.com/
- Phone: (515) 248-1780
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday- Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: George Formaro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: www.centrodesmoines.com
- Private Party Facilities: www.centrodesmoines.com
- Private Party Contact: Rod De Angelo 5152481780x
A word from Centro Restaurant
Conveniently located in downtown Des Moines lives one of the city’s most popular restaurants, Centro. The urban eatery specializes in delicious Italian-inspired food featuring fresh ingredients and masterful preparation by Chef George Formaro. Whether you’re ordering a multi-course meal or grabbing a drink and pizza at the bar, Centro’s lively, casual yet upscale atmosphere makes it perfect for dining with friends, family, clients and business associates.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Centro Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown Des Moines ›
Centro Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
215 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (126)fit for foodies (112)good for groups (95)romantic (87)hot spot (69)notable wine list (68)great for lunch (62)neighborhood gem (60)great for brunch (30)great for outdoor dining (27)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (16)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (10)Show More
- Visitors Delight!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Great food and atmosphere. I love to eat at Centro when I come to town to visit my daughter at Drake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014It seems to have gotten more expensive and don't expect to get any privacy as you are shoved right next to whoever is next to you. However, the food and service have always been very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huge addiction to their brunch menu!Foodie2003VIPDined on 11/22/2014I traveled back from Chicago to visit family and took my boyfriend to Centro for the first time for brunch. I'm a sucker for the stuff, thick french toast, topped with mascarpone cheese (like a vanilla flavor), diced strawberries and sticky syrup. We also order their breakfast pizza to share as they are known for their fire grilled thin crispy pizzas. The serve was excellent as well and without asking brought out the french toast split on two different plates. He was polite, stayed on top of our drinks/food and wasn't overbearing. Sometimes servers linger too long with the conversation at the table they are serving and while once in a while or in a big group is fine, a date isn't. He was one of the better ones we've had in a long while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodurbandalefoodieDined on 11/21/2014There were 4 of us at our table, and all of us had eaten there in the past, though not recently. I had the half chicken with butternut squash and brussle sprouts and it was wonderful. My date had the swordfish with brussel sprouts and he also enjoy it. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TlkiowaDined on 11/19/2014My daughter and I had a great dinner. You won't leave hungry! Service was very good. We will go again soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2014This was my first visit to Centro, I had heard good things and they were all true. I will be going again, great date night with the wife and some friends. The portobello fries were great as was the pizza and the bread pudding. I also had the Chicago sipper for a cocktail, great for fans of whiskey sours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to place for business meetingsBigTime2Dined on 11/10/2014Centro is my go to place for business lunches and client entertaining. The food is excellent and there is something for everyone. The tomato tortellini soup is delicious along with the Centro salad. Finally, the fire grilled pizza is the best in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for EveryonePartyof7Dined on 11/9/2014Good menu with lots of variety for everyone, including the kids. Everyone enjoyed the food, and the service was top notch.Special Features:
- Des Moines Staple50309dinerDined on 11/8/2014You can never go wrong with Centro. Usually our first choice to take out of town guests, as there is something for everyone. Amazing italian dishes, steak and salads.Special Features:
- Special date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014My husband and I love Centro. This is THE restaurant we pick for those special occasions and reasons to celebrate. The atmosphere is excellent and the food is even better. Our server, Dennis, was attentive and kind. We will come here again and again.Special Features:
- Pre-concert perfectionChiSox79Dined on 11/1/2014Centro was an excellent pre-James Taylor destination. Excellent food and service, as usual. A perfect start to an amazing evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumwillgoagainDined on 11/1/2014Food and service were marvelous! Salad was local greens with a snappy dressing. We had four different entrees and all of them were wonderful.Special Features:
- Italian like it should beLittleBillDined on 11/1/2014I had heard about this restaurant from a friend who knew I was going to be in Des Moines to see a James Taylor concert (which was excellent of course by the way). But, I had no idea my evening was going to be kicked of with the incredible meal I had at Centro. The service was super, the atmosphere was first rate and the food was amazing. You can get anything from a first class meal to a pizza. It's a little out of the way from the restaurant scene around Court Street but the Des Moines skywalk system made it an easy walk. I would highly recommend this place. Bring an appetite and try the cheese and meat tray for an appetizer.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Awesome food and service, as always. Only downside, and this is minor, is noise level. If you have a larger group, it's difficult to have a conversation with anyone other than person sitting next to you.Special Features:
- Amazing ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Chris was our server and did a wonderful job of explaining the menu items we asked about and really seemed to know the menu well. The food was delicious and came out promptly. Our waters were refilled and we were taken care of very well. I can't wait to come back when I am in Des Moines again! Food and Service was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abbey WestbrookOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Great atmosphere, amazing wait staff, and our food was great. My husband and I had a great anniversary dinner here and would highly recommend Centro!Special Features:
- Once again, they are rockstars!4GivenDined on 10/21/2014Frequent diners. Love this place. Food was awesome and service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Centro for my birthdaySpottedShirtDined on 10/20/2014Centro is one of the better restaurants in Des Moines. When asked by my wife where I wanted to celebrate my birthday, Centro immediately came to mind. From the reservations through Open Table to the service and the meal it was a great experience. Our server was friendly and helpful. The beer selection, as I prefer beer to wine, was plentiful with craft beers. The homemade cavatelli is my favorite. The portion is large, the noodles were firm, and the Graziano sausage mixed in gave a nice flavor to the sauce. My wife had the gnocchi which were also firm and held the sauce with each bite. Of course we started the meal with a pizza appetizer, the Quattro Formaggi Red pizza. A wonderful meal with plenty left to take home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of My Favorites!NorwalkMomDined on 10/18/2014My husband, 4-year-old son, and I wanted a nice place to go out to eat to celebrate my husband's and my birthday that was also kid-friendly. We love Centro so it was on the top of our list and happened to have openings to make a reservation on the night we were looking for. While Centro is a nicer, pricier restaurant, it is also very kid-friendly with lots of kids food choices, a kids menu with crayons, and (what my son thought was the best) the tables have a white paper cover that he could color on wherever he wanted. Our food was amazing, the wine list was wonderful and overall we left feeling happy, full and satisfied. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone and everyone!Special Features:
- Bloody Mary Bar was phenomenal4GivenDined on 10/18/2014Great brunch and the BM bar was top notch. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We dined with a party of 7 Everyone loved their food and the service was great too!Special Features:
- Centro never disappointsmdoyle3834Dined on 10/16/2014Went to Centro this past week and it was great as usual. Can't beat their South Union bread and they always make special order of Chicken Parmesan for my son. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so.ttvvDined on 10/14/2014Generally a great restaurant, this most recent visit was a little disappointing. Their beer menu (on an iPad) wasn't up to date, so we weren't able to order what we wanted. The bread basket came with only three pieces and the bread was dried out. The waitress brought the wrong entree out to my dining partner. My chicken and prosciutto pasta dish was really salty and not worth $19. Rather disappointing and not what I'd expect from this premier restaurant.
- Favorite Place in Des Moines4friendsDined on 10/14/2014I have tried many restaurants in Des Moines and always return to Centro. By far my favorite place to dine. Always great service, amazing food, and the perfect ambiance which is a combination of romantic and casual at the same time. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Very good experience overall. A bit pricey but worth it for a special occasion. Asked for a window table and was seated along a row of seats in the middle of other couples which wasn't very intimate but probably done so to maximize their space which is understandable. Food was very good and steaks were prepared well. Excellent wait staff also!Special Features:
- Great food, vibrant atmosphereTAPTDined on 10/3/2014I have eaten here several times, always having a good experience. Menu is varied, with interesting daily specials. The open atmosphere makes things a little loud, but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Our reservation was fairly late on Thursday night so the restaurant was not overcrowded as I remembered it to be. The waiter was very pleasant and the food was great.Special Features:
- ServiceTrynewplacesDined on 9/27/2014I have always loved going to centros but this time the server wasn't always waiting in us, we actually had 2 other servers at one point! One server was to get us drinks and another was to get us the dessert menu. It almost seemed like our server was to busy for us...I would go back to centros again but I don't want the same server!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLingoDined on 9/27/2014I've been here three times now, as every time I go to Des Moines, Centro is on my list of places to go. The service is friendly and efficient; the food is delicious, and the atmosphere is casual elegant. I've seen diners dressed up, and I've seen diners very casually dressed. It's a great spot for lunch or dinner, with a nice variety of menu items. I loved the roast brussel sprouts with aioli, the Greek salad and the pizzas. I had a corn risotto that was delicious and my companions thoroughly enjoyed their pasta dishes. I would like to try their brunch the next time I'm in Des Moines, but I'm certain that will be equally delicious. I highly recommend Centro. My only complaint is there isn't one in the Chicago suburbs!Special Features:
- EnjoyableKenWDined on 9/24/2014Nice warm lunch experience on a cold rainy day. Jessica was very hospitable and accommodating. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Outstanding AGAINRLReasonsVIPDined on 9/22/2014Last minute decision at 8:00pm - excellent meal, great service, fairly reasonable prices. Always a great choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going awaySaraDined on 9/19/2014My family and I gathered for a going away event and the meal was outstanding. The reservation time needed to be changed, and the individual on the phone made me like I had just called my mom to tell her we were running late and changed the reservation without hesitation. The service was attentive, but not overly so. Thank you for a memorable evening!Special Features:
- Sunday!joyfuldiningDined on 9/14/2014Great place for Sunday brunch! You can have your choice of omelets and French toast; top it all off with a Bloody Mary. Be sure to GO!Special Features:
- OutstandingDirectorVIPDined on 9/13/2014We have never had a bad meal or bad service. One of the most outstanding restaurants we have dined at around the United States.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and theaterrockyr49Dined on 9/13/2014My wife and I took her son and his fiance to Des Moines to see Phantom. We decided on Centro for our dinner. Our first time there and it was great. I had the lobster ravioli, my wife the 3 cheese medallions, her son the pork chop and his fiance the chicken francese. At the end of the meal there was not a bite left on anyone's plate. We each sampled all of the dishes and could not pick one that was the best. The sides were equally as good. For desert we had the George's marshmallow sundae and a piece of cheese cake. All of it superb. We have found a new place to eat when we go to Des Moines.Special Features:
- SGADFDASGADFDADined on 9/11/2014Food was outstanding. I had the rigatoni with sausage. Delicious and so was the house salad. The wine (Pinot Noir from Chile was great) The restaurant was a little cool; I felt the ventilation. Other than that, it was a great experience.Special Features:
- Stellar!discerningDined on 9/10/2014I've relied on Centro for special dates, Valentine's Day, birthday celebrations and my wedding reception. It routinely exceeds expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AmazingTonyDined on 9/6/2014The atmosphere at Centro is amazing the the service outstanding. The waitress asked if we were going to the concert in town that night and stated she would make sure we got there in time. Very impressive to say the least. The seafood and chicken dishes were top of the line. Just an amazing experience all around.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Delicious food. Fun atmosphere. Special treatment. I'm going back the next time I'm in town...better yet I may drive the two hours there just for the great dining experience.Special Features:
- Great as usualEricksneDined on 9/5/2014Took my parents here for dinner. The first time they have been. It didn't disappoint. The food was spot on as usual, and the service was great.Special Features: