129 Coosa St
Montgomery, AL 36104Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.central129coosa.com/
- Phone: 3345171155x
- Hours of Operation:
BAR: 4:00pm-until Monday-Saturday
DINNER: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Monday-Thursday
5:30pm - 11:00pm Friday-Saturday
LUNCH: 11:00am - 2:00pm Monday-Friday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Leonardo Maurelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer several private dining options
from parties of 10 to 300.
- Private Party Contact: Meghan Martin 3345171121x
A word from Central
Central, located in the heart of Montgomery’s Downtown entertainment district, is a true American restaurant highlighting local and seasonal ingredients. This locally owned gem offers wood-fired dishes in an 1890’s warehouse space boasting exposed brick, flickering gas lanterns and a bustling open kitchen. In the main dining room, 16 foot ceilings, spectacular overhead lighting, a central bar comprised of reclaimed wood all overlook Montgomery’s downtown alley.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Central - Best Restaurants in Montgomery ›
Central reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (87)fit for foodies (79)romantic (55)good for groups (55)hot spot (50)notable wine list (44)neighborhood gem (39)great for lunch (34)vibrant bar scene (18)great for outdoor dining (17)late-night find (14)great for brunch (7)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- tablefortwoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014We have eaten at Central three times and the food has been excellent every time. Love the ambiance! Very good choice for a special date night.Special Features:
- A Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014A great evening at a nice facility. Thoroughly enjoyed the evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CopopDined on 10/18/2014Every time we dine at Central we find new and exciting offerings on the menu. It's so refreshing to go to this lovely restaurant that continues to change things up. Thanks for another great food experience.Special Features:
- Fit for a Kingautigers5252Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent dining experience with 3 other couples. We chose outside seating and the weather was spectacular. Recommend the Duck Quarters.Special Features:
- tlscanlonDined on 10/17/2014Exceptional! The food was unique in choices which is a refreshing change for Montgomery. And preparation was pleasingly quick as was the service. Hats off to the chef and assistants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!!!LiviaDined on 10/14/2014This was a great place for a special dinner or occasion! Will Definately be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful TimeMargDined on 10/6/2014It was just right, great food and celebrating 2 by birthdays. The wait staff very frIendYSpecial Features:
- I LOVE THIS ***** RESTAURANTHappypatronDined on 10/4/2014Best service, food, atmosphere, drinks anywhere in Montgomery, AL. Our server Jasmine was a gem, very prompt, very professional, and VERY ENERGETIC!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They Are Better Than EverRedfishDaveDined on 9/29/2014I've dined at Central several times. And, while always good, my recent experience was outstanding. It seems they've raised the bar on service, customer experience and food. My wife is a fillet person. She said hers was the best she's had. My Rabbit was amazing. We like the new menu and are looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- AwesomeRusty1099Dined on 9/27/2014Service and food above and beyond! Not left waiting all the time like at True the restaurant. Wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great late lunch destinationRPinALDined on 9/26/2014Once again, Central comes through for me in a pinch! After changing reservations 4 times within a two hour span, we finally got out of meetings long enough to make it for lunch at our favorite spot. First thing I will say, if you're looking for a good, quiet spot to enjoy lunch, the 1:00 to 1:15 time slot is a fantastic choice here! After the general hustle and bustle and vibrant activity of high lunch traffic time, the quietness of the restaurant afterwards with the scattered patrons that were there is a marked difference. We carried on a quiet conversation without worrying about being heard, and never heard another conversation to speak over. Food, as always, fantastic, 5 out of 5 stars. Enjoy Central, folks. We always do.Special Features:
- Salad/drinks a lil pricey...GumpReviewDined on 9/19/2014The main course was delicious. Ribeye steak and the duck are highly recommended. The Caesar salad is overpriced for a slab of lettuce with dressing. The croutons were like eating rocks...way too hard. Wife had beet salad and enjoyed it, but both were like 9 or 10 bucks which is too much for a side salad. Also, drinks are high as well. Margarita and glass of wine ( 4 sips) are 10 dollars as well. Overall nice experience but the Fall menu is not very exciting.Special Features:
- Great find in the heart of the citymeggypooDined on 9/18/2014The classiest place you can find downtown. Good mix of southern food and traditional Americana. Wait staff is very friendly. Food is soulful and portions are large.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice find on a business triptravelgirllibraDined on 9/17/2014Pimento cheese app was outstanding. Steaks cooked to perfection. Service was attentive and fun.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The food was very good and the place was very nice. I liked the mix of new and old in the architecture. We were seated right across from the cooking area and it was very hot and a bit uncomfortable but the experience was nice seeing the cooking activity. I would go back.Special Features:
- Consistently perfectNeilioDined on 9/13/2014I go to Central about once every couple months for dinner, and somewhat often for lunch. Each time it exceeds expectations (which are already high!). This past time I was with a group of 12 people and I got the gulf catch. My dish was at the table about ten minutes after everyone else got their food, which honestly wasn't a big deal at all as they told me immediately that it was taking longer than they expected and that they would have it out asap. After about five minutes I heard the Chef (who was directly behind us) state he was buying the fish because he didn't like the fact I waited at all. Who can complain about that? No one with taste. Every dish is amazing, the price is more than reasonable for the quality. I love Central!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Central BirthdayEduardoDined on 9/12/2014My wife's birthday - specially noted when called for reservation - re confirmed when checked in - still waiting for something to occur - otherwise a very good meal - especially the whole roasted fishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So So ExperienceTeresa4JasonDined on 9/12/2014While the service was good, my companion ordered Ribeye and was brought New York strip. The manager approached us and apologized but only offered to adjust the price to the actual cut of meat served. Nothing extra was offered to make up for the wrong order. I asked our waiter about the ingredients in a salad and was not advised that the salad had beets on it. I hate beets! The dressing was too sweet as well. Overall a nice experience but when I go out for a $125.00 meal, I expect more.Special Features:
- The best lunchMalissaDined on 9/12/2014you're going to pay $10-12 for lunch at any decent place in town, so why not go and get a gourmet meal for the same price? Food is consistently good with great specials each day to mix it up.Special Features:
- Duck!autigers5252Dined on 9/5/2014On my most recent visit to Central, my wife and I had kid free night so we decided to take advantage and stay at the Renaissance. Walked across the street for our 7:00 reservation on a Friday night with only a 10 or 15 minute wait. The service was good and the food was outstanding. I ordered the Roasted Duck Quarters and was not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative MenuJLDayDined on 9/5/2014Doing incredible things with local ingredients. Restaurant interior is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Business or PleasureJMonday50Dined on 9/5/2014We had a great experience at Central for a business meeting/lunch. The food & service were great, but the atmosphere was fantastic. I hope to return here with my husband or family strictly to enjoy.Special Features:
- Good Montgomery Dining ExperiencebyumamaDined on 8/23/2014My wife & I stayed at the downtown Montgomery Hampton Inn; Central was within walking distance. I choose to dine at Central while reading an open table review where the diner stated "the beef wellington was best ever"; unfortunately we did not find wellington on the menu-> opting instead for shrimp & grits, wood grilled oysters, turkey wontons and beet salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale but affordable in the GumpGumptown2StepsDined on 8/22/2014Reserved a table for 8 for my wife's birthday dinner. The staff was really friendly and even helped keep my surprise for her a secret. We sat right in front of kitchen and watch them prepare our food. It was like being in Hell's Kitchen. Food was really good. This is a great place to take someone for a romantic date. You can walk out the back door and be in the Alley. We all had a great time and they enjoyed it as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night out!HPFoodieDined on 8/22/2014Great ambience and everyone in our group of six enjoyed their meals - especially the salmon. The drinks were killer too!! The waitstaff was attentive without being obnoxious. Anxiously awaiting my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out in MontgomeryluvcentraldiningDined on 8/15/2014Central is a great place. It has a big city feel, with small town charm. The food is excellent, great wine selection and great service. I enjoy taking friends there . Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky findalabamajpDined on 8/15/2014We were spending the weekend in Montgomery and saw Central mentioned in Alabama Living so we thought we'd try it. The Beef Wellington was equal to the best I'd ever had, and the heirloom tomato salad was outstanding, but my husband's pork tenderloin was a little tough. That's the only reason I didn't rate it 5 stars across the board.Special Features:
- No better lunch in townRPinALDined on 8/15/2014Went to Central today for lunch, and ordered the daily special, the Prime rib cheese steak wit quattro fromagio mournay, served with house cut fries. Best cheese steak I have had the privilege to eat south of Philly, really fantastic stuff. Could not have eaten another bite, and with all that food, the best ambiance and staff in town, spent less than $15.00 on lunch. For everything. Seriously, if you are spending $8 for lunch at a fast food place somewhere, do yourself and anyone with you a favor and go enjoy a gourmet lunch prepared by a chef and a kitchen known all around town as the best we have to offer... for less than $20!!
- FantasticRodogDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary at Central. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I had made a reservation note about our anniversary and every staff member that came by our table congratulated us. Our waitress was a delightful guide for the evening, hooking us up with a great bottle of wine and good selections. She even shared in a tearful moment with us. The food was awesome. Appetizer was a bacon and cornbread. My wife had the duckling and took some home. I had a ribeye special with shrimp, perfectly cooked. Dessert we split was small, but a good size after all we ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary LunchLovesFoodDined on 8/14/2014Food was delicious and service was great. Very nice restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!EJ811Dined on 8/11/2014We made reservations for a special anniversary dinner and we were not disappointed!! The service was great, all the food was delicious, and it was a great atmosphomere. Plus we got a complementary glass of champagne since it was our anniversary. We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy 30th AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014On August 11, we celebrated our 30th Anniversary. This was our first visit to Central. I went to the website, made a reservation, and we showed up. The Valet guy was right there and explained how that worked...free for customers of Central--tips are appreciated. Then we entered the restaurant and I was glad I made a reservation. We were greeted with a smile and a "Happy Anniversary" and made our way to a beautiful booth. The server, Marlin, quickly greeted us, told us of the specials and we were on our way. As we waited we used the iPhone to read the history of the place and enjoyed watching Chef Randy as he directed the team to get the food out quick. All was delicious and the event was amazing. Thanks for a great celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Rich FindIslandRzrbkDined on 8/11/2014I was hunting around for a nice non-chain restaurant to go to celebrate my husband's birthday and selected this one on a whim. Central quite beat out all of our expectations. Rustic, yet elegant, the ambiance is very much a throwback to old, traditional Prohibition era with exposed brick, rich woods and "candlelight" lighting (really just warm light bulbs). The food was delicious, GET THE BANANA FOSTER BREAD PUDDING WITH EXTRA SAUCE YOU'LL THANK ME LATER. Our ONLY complaint was that the service was on the slower side and the Moscow Mule was disappointing. But the beer selection definitely made up for this. Definitely make reservations, even on a night you think won't be busy. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Excellent food, service, ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014I went with my husband for a birthday dinner. The first surprise was a menu with my name and "Happy Birthday" at the top. The waitress provided great recommendations and the service was excellent. The won-ton appetizer was delicious. Both the rib eye steak and fish were excellent. Because it was my birthday I got a free desert which was another nice surprise. The menu is innovative and not at all just the usual fare, but everything was really good. This restaurant is on the expensive side for Montgomery, but a great place to go for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review of Central in Montgomery, ALOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Food was absolutely great as was service. Seating was quick as we were greeted at door. Restaurant was crowded & relatively loud to be called romantic but there were many diners at 8 pm on a Saturday. Waitress was knowledgable about menu and was quick to mention Specials. Though we didn't order the specials we did get appetizer, cocktails, salads, entree & desert. Food was quickly brought to table for each course & was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't live up to the hypeNot2ImpressedDined on 8/9/2014The food was tasty but the servings were rather skimpy for the price. Service was attentive to a fault. We had at least 3 separate employees stop by our table to ask us 'how everything was'. The atmosphere was pleasant, the seating comfortable, and the majority of the clientele understand the meaning of 'smart casual' . . a smaller number not so much!
- A must have if you are downtownRPinALDined on 8/8/2014Another dinner, another 5-star rating for Central, the heartbeat of a growing food scene in the tri-county area. From the black eye pea humus, the can't miss list of superb entrées, to the desserts you wished you could have saved more room for, there really are no ways to make a bad choice. The staff is amazingly attentive, starting with the Executive Chef and filtering down to the rest of this energetic bunch, you won't have a need not met, or a dining option not explained thoroughly. I could sit here and go on and on about Central, but why don't you do yourself a favor and give it a try, you will be glad you did.Special Features:
- Another Great Evening at CentralTablelapDined on 8/6/2014My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Central this week, and it was another great experience! It all began with Courtney, our server, who was extraordinarily professional and adept, while also being most courteous and friendly. I had a special (and slightly odd) food request at the beginning of the meal, and Courtney smiled graciously...and then made it happen. Kudos to her and the food staff. As always, the ambience was great (slightly subdued lighting and unique fixtures). Our meals were prepared exactly as requested and were excellent. This is our new favorite restaurant in Montgomery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!DisappointedVIPDined on 8/6/2014My husband and I were passing through Montgomery on a road trip and we found this restaurant ahead of time. Boy am I glad we booked it. One of THE best restaurants we've ever been to, period. The ambiance was sort of a farm table-modern. It was warm and inviting, with soft lighting. The kitchen was open so you could see the chefs working. The food was creative, beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. We are from New England so to have local, southern fare was exactly what we were hoping for! Our waitress was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. She was honest about what we'd like including what was her favorite and best on the menu. I hope we get to go back someday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The restaurant was beautiful and the ambiance was nice. Waiter was very attentive, but didn't seem to be well informed. We had the shrimp and grits and the meatloaf. Both dishes were just mediocre - nothing special.