129 Coosa St
Montgomery, AL 36104Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.central129coosa.com/
- Phone: 3345171155x
- Hours of Operation:
BAR: 4:00pm-until Monday-Saturday
DINNER: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Monday-Thursday
5:30pm - 11:00pm Friday-Saturday
LUNCH: 11:00am - 2:00pm Monday-Friday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Leonardo Maurelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer several private dining options
from parties of 10 to 300.
- Private Party Contact: Meghan Martin 3345171121x
A word from Central
Central, located in the heart of Montgomery’s Downtown entertainment district, is a true American restaurant highlighting local and seasonal ingredients. This locally owned gem offers wood-fired dishes in an 1890’s warehouse space boasting exposed brick, flickering gas lanterns and a bustling open kitchen. In the main dining room, 16 foot ceilings, spectacular overhead lighting, a central bar comprised of reclaimed wood all overlook Montgomery’s downtown alley.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Central - Best Restaurants in Montgomery ›
Central reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (97)fit for foodies (80)romantic (60)good for groups (50)hot spot (47)neighborhood gem (44)notable wine list (44)great for lunch (27)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (13)great for outdoor dining (10)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great find in the heart of the citymeggypooDined on 9/18/2014The classiest place you can find downtown. Good mix of southern food and traditional Americana. Wait staff is very friendly. Food is soulful and portions are large.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice find on a business triptravelgirllibraDined on 9/17/2014Pimento cheese app was outstanding. Steaks cooked to perfection. Service was attentive and fun.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The food was very good and the place was very nice. I liked the mix of new and old in the architecture. We were seated right across from the cooking area and it was very hot and a bit uncomfortable but the experience was nice seeing the cooking activity. I would go back.Special Features:
- Consistently perfectNeilioDined on 9/13/2014I go to Central about once every couple months for dinner, and somewhat often for lunch. Each time it exceeds expectations (which are already high!). This past time I was with a group of 12 people and I got the gulf catch. My dish was at the table about ten minutes after everyone else got their food, which honestly wasn't a big deal at all as they told me immediately that it was taking longer than they expected and that they would have it out asap. After about five minutes I heard the Chef (who was directly behind us) state he was buying the fish because he didn't like the fact I waited at all. Who can complain about that? No one with taste. Every dish is amazing, the price is more than reasonable for the quality. I love Central!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Central BirthdayEduardoDined on 9/12/2014My wife's birthday - specially noted when called for reservation - re confirmed when checked in - still waiting for something to occur - otherwise a very good meal - especially the whole roasted fishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So So ExperienceTeresa4JasonDined on 9/12/2014While the service was good, my companion ordered Ribeye and was brought New York strip. The manager approached us and apologized but only offered to adjust the price to the actual cut of meat served. Nothing extra was offered to make up for the wrong order. I asked our waiter about the ingredients in a salad and was not advised that the salad had beets on it. I hate beets! The dressing was too sweet as well. Overall a nice experience but when I go out for a $125.00 meal, I expect more.Special Features:
- The best lunchMalissaDined on 9/12/2014you're going to pay $10-12 for lunch at any decent place in town, so why not go and get a gourmet meal for the same price? Food is consistently good with great specials each day to mix it up.Special Features:
- Duck!autigers5252Dined on 9/5/2014On my most recent visit to Central, my wife and I had kid free night so we decided to take advantage and stay at the Renaissance. Walked across the street for our 7:00 reservation on a Friday night with only a 10 or 15 minute wait. The service was good and the food was outstanding. I ordered the Roasted Duck Quarters and was not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative MenuJLDayDined on 9/5/2014Doing incredible things with local ingredients. Restaurant interior is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Business or PleasureJMonday50Dined on 9/5/2014We had a great experience at Central for a business meeting/lunch. The food & service were great, but the atmosphere was fantastic. I hope to return here with my husband or family strictly to enjoy.Special Features:
- Good Montgomery Dining ExperiencebyumamaDined on 8/23/2014My wife & I stayed at the downtown Montgomery Hampton Inn; Central was within walking distance. I choose to dine at Central while reading an open table review where the diner stated "the beef wellington was best ever"; unfortunately we did not find wellington on the menu-> opting instead for shrimp & grits, wood grilled oysters, turkey wontons and beet salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale but affordable in the GumpGumptown2StepsDined on 8/22/2014Reserved a table for 8 for my wife's birthday dinner. The staff was really friendly and even helped keep my surprise for her a secret. We sat right in front of kitchen and watch them prepare our food. It was like being in Hell's Kitchen. Food was really good. This is a great place to take someone for a romantic date. You can walk out the back door and be in the Alley. We all had a great time and they enjoyed it as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night out!HPFoodieDined on 8/22/2014Great ambience and everyone in our group of six enjoyed their meals - especially the salmon. The drinks were killer too!! The waitstaff was attentive without being obnoxious. Anxiously awaiting my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out in MontgomeryluvcentraldiningDined on 8/15/2014Central is a great place. It has a big city feel, with small town charm. The food is excellent, great wine selection and great service. I enjoy taking friends there . Never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky findalabamajpDined on 8/15/2014We were spending the weekend in Montgomery and saw Central mentioned in Alabama Living so we thought we'd try it. The Beef Wellington was equal to the best I'd ever had, and the heirloom tomato salad was outstanding, but my husband's pork tenderloin was a little tough. That's the only reason I didn't rate it 5 stars across the board.Special Features:
- No better lunch in townRPinALDined on 8/15/2014Went to Central today for lunch, and ordered the daily special, the Prime rib cheese steak wit quattro fromagio mournay, served with house cut fries. Best cheese steak I have had the privilege to eat south of Philly, really fantastic stuff. Could not have eaten another bite, and with all that food, the best ambiance and staff in town, spent less than $15.00 on lunch. For everything. Seriously, if you are spending $8 for lunch at a fast food place somewhere, do yourself and anyone with you a favor and go enjoy a gourmet lunch prepared by a chef and a kitchen known all around town as the best we have to offer... for less than $20!!
- FantasticRodogDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary at Central. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I had made a reservation note about our anniversary and every staff member that came by our table congratulated us. Our waitress was a delightful guide for the evening, hooking us up with a great bottle of wine and good selections. She even shared in a tearful moment with us. The food was awesome. Appetizer was a bacon and cornbread. My wife had the duckling and took some home. I had a ribeye special with shrimp, perfectly cooked. Dessert we split was small, but a good size after all we ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary LunchLovesFoodDined on 8/14/2014Food was delicious and service was great. Very nice restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!EJ811Dined on 8/11/2014We made reservations for a special anniversary dinner and we were not disappointed!! The service was great, all the food was delicious, and it was a great atmosphomere. Plus we got a complementary glass of champagne since it was our anniversary. We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy 30th AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014On August 11, we celebrated our 30th Anniversary. This was our first visit to Central. I went to the website, made a reservation, and we showed up. The Valet guy was right there and explained how that worked...free for customers of Central--tips are appreciated. Then we entered the restaurant and I was glad I made a reservation. We were greeted with a smile and a "Happy Anniversary" and made our way to a beautiful booth. The server, Marlin, quickly greeted us, told us of the specials and we were on our way. As we waited we used the iPhone to read the history of the place and enjoyed watching Chef Randy as he directed the team to get the food out quick. All was delicious and the event was amazing. Thanks for a great celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Rich FindIslandRzrbkDined on 8/11/2014I was hunting around for a nice non-chain restaurant to go to celebrate my husband's birthday and selected this one on a whim. Central quite beat out all of our expectations. Rustic, yet elegant, the ambiance is very much a throwback to old, traditional Prohibition era with exposed brick, rich woods and "candlelight" lighting (really just warm light bulbs). The food was delicious, GET THE BANANA FOSTER BREAD PUDDING WITH EXTRA SAUCE YOU'LL THANK ME LATER. Our ONLY complaint was that the service was on the slower side and the Moscow Mule was disappointing. But the beer selection definitely made up for this. Definitely make reservations, even on a night you think won't be busy. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Excellent food, service, ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014I went with my husband for a birthday dinner. The first surprise was a menu with my name and "Happy Birthday" at the top. The waitress provided great recommendations and the service was excellent. The won-ton appetizer was delicious. Both the rib eye steak and fish were excellent. Because it was my birthday I got a free desert which was another nice surprise. The menu is innovative and not at all just the usual fare, but everything was really good. This restaurant is on the expensive side for Montgomery, but a great place to go for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review of Central in Montgomery, ALOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Food was absolutely great as was service. Seating was quick as we were greeted at door. Restaurant was crowded & relatively loud to be called romantic but there were many diners at 8 pm on a Saturday. Waitress was knowledgable about menu and was quick to mention Specials. Though we didn't order the specials we did get appetizer, cocktails, salads, entree & desert. Food was quickly brought to table for each course & was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't live up to the hypeNot2ImpressedDined on 8/9/2014The food was tasty but the servings were rather skimpy for the price. Service was attentive to a fault. We had at least 3 separate employees stop by our table to ask us 'how everything was'. The atmosphere was pleasant, the seating comfortable, and the majority of the clientele understand the meaning of 'smart casual' . . a smaller number not so much!
- A must have if you are downtownRPinALDined on 8/8/2014Another dinner, another 5-star rating for Central, the heartbeat of a growing food scene in the tri-county area. From the black eye pea humus, the can't miss list of superb entrées, to the desserts you wished you could have saved more room for, there really are no ways to make a bad choice. The staff is amazingly attentive, starting with the Executive Chef and filtering down to the rest of this energetic bunch, you won't have a need not met, or a dining option not explained thoroughly. I could sit here and go on and on about Central, but why don't you do yourself a favor and give it a try, you will be glad you did.Special Features:
- Another Great Evening at CentralTablelapDined on 8/6/2014My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Central this week, and it was another great experience! It all began with Courtney, our server, who was extraordinarily professional and adept, while also being most courteous and friendly. I had a special (and slightly odd) food request at the beginning of the meal, and Courtney smiled graciously...and then made it happen. Kudos to her and the food staff. As always, the ambience was great (slightly subdued lighting and unique fixtures). Our meals were prepared exactly as requested and were excellent. This is our new favorite restaurant in Montgomery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!DisappointedVIPDined on 8/6/2014My husband and I were passing through Montgomery on a road trip and we found this restaurant ahead of time. Boy am I glad we booked it. One of THE best restaurants we've ever been to, period. The ambiance was sort of a farm table-modern. It was warm and inviting, with soft lighting. The kitchen was open so you could see the chefs working. The food was creative, beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. We are from New England so to have local, southern fare was exactly what we were hoping for! Our waitress was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. She was honest about what we'd like including what was her favorite and best on the menu. I hope we get to go back someday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The restaurant was beautiful and the ambiance was nice. Waiter was very attentive, but didn't seem to be well informed. We had the shrimp and grits and the meatloaf. Both dishes were just mediocre - nothing special.
- Eclectic and progressive...ColmanationDined on 8/2/2014especially for Montgomery, AL. Knowledgeable staff, eager t assist with your inquiries. Bountiful wine list that has at least 1 thing that everyone can find appealing. Black-eyed pea hummus is worth getting for most of your visits. Definitely try one of the fish dishes, portions are well worth it and the sauces compliment with ease. In regards to the Montgomery region this is a place to visit and enjoy. Overall, easily 2 thumbs up across the board!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerccharshDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I went there for our anniversary. I had asked for a quiet table and mentioned that it was our anniversary night out. They were so accommodating, actually greeted us with anniversary congrats, service and food fantastic, and offered us a glass of champagne or dessert on the house! It was a great evening and we will certainly return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The finest dining experience ever!MsLinnerDined on 8/2/2014We celebrated our 4th year anniversary here and was not disappointed. We had the Chef's evening specials which were grilled Amberjack and Beef Wellington. Oh my.... We love good food and my husband calls me a gourmet cook only because I use all fresh ingredients and good recipes, and we travel a bit but never eat at franchises, only local. This dinner --- appetizer, wine, dinner and dessert (Bread pudding and ice cream) was absolutely the best! The server, Taylor, was courteous, made suggestions, was attentive, and very kind. The Manager, David Forbes, came over to our table and said hello and we shared our experience. We would definitely recommend this restaurant to everyone!!Special Features:
- Fantastic timeEatingInTheGumpDined on 8/1/2014It was our first night out in months after having our second child. Service was excellent and the food was spectacular. The Duck Wontons was our starter, I had it with a Snake Biter Double IPA and wow that was a great combo. I had the Roast Duck main dish and my wife had Risotto both dishes were well presented and tasted great. The finale was Banana Foster Bread Pudding with some vanilla ice cream... WOW. My wife also highly recommends the Basil Berry Smash (drink). I had a taste, quite a drink.Special Features:
- Central Family CelebrationCentralFan4EverDined on 8/1/2014We LOVE Central! Central is the place we go for all special occasions, holidays and parties. I would eat breakfast at Central if I could! We celebrated our son's 25th birthday on Friday at Central and it was phenomenal! Chef Leo and the entire staff were so warm and accommodating -- we felt like family. Among the four of us we dined on the veal cheeks, the ribeye steak, the pork loin and the duck quarters. Starting the meal with the pork belly on the sweet corn bread, the fried okra, the pimiento cheese and the duck wontons and ending with the Bananas Foster bread pudding and the milk chocolate brulee with coconut macaroons. Every dish and I do mean EVERY dish was delicious, interesting, flavorful and fun. Central is OUR restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TobyVIPDined on 8/1/2014Central has a great location that is turly the NEW scene for individuals or gruops to gather for drinks or dinner. It is also the location if you wish to have a speical evening with someone. The food was outstanding and the Chef is always changing the menu to incorperate locally grown produce and freash sea food from the gulf. Great eveing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- July 27, 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014Central has become a "hit or miss" establishment. Overall, the atmosphere of the restaurant is generally good and the service is typically very good...but the food is not consistent. Two out of the three entrees from out party were okay; however, the third was unedible. It seems like there must be a sous chef on site that like to be heavy handed with salt. For those of us who must watch the salt intake, that can be a problem. The final food prep person should check those things befor food leaves the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally FabulousReelDuelDined on 7/25/2014We had one if not the best dining experience ever Friday night. We ordered the Amberjack and the Whole Snapper entree's and they were fabulous. I think it was the first time Chef Leo offered WHOLE Snapper and if you are ever there and this dish is on the menu stop and order it before it is gone. We also went there Saturday for the Beer tasting, shine sipping and BBQ whole pig. We had the greatest time and everything was so well planned out. It felt like we were at a giant family gathering, so much fun!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014The food is a little unique and incredibly good with lots of variety. The price isn't cheap, but the food doesn't disappoint you either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner at CentraleatingwellDined on 7/18/2014The Black-eyed Pea hummus and flatbread was an outstanding appetizer - and a great bargain, too. Andrea loved her duck, and my amberjack was very good. It could have been cooked just a bit less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!SatisfiedCustomerDined on 7/17/2014Took my mother out for lunch and it was wonderful! Montgomery doesn't have much to offer, but I would recommend this place any day! The food is moderately priced, but well worth every penny. The waiters and waitresses are polite and courteous. The food was well prepared and delicious. One thing I didn't expect though was a bit too much herb in the shrimp and grits (but that's okay, it was still delicious). The dessert was scrumptious, although the creme brûlée should have been warm. I'd give it five stars for Montgomery!Special Features:
- Good PlaceMeetmethereDined on 7/15/2014Every time we have a special luncheon for our dept. we always pick Central. Good food, good service, and easy to get to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.