Central Park BoatHouse
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Central Park BoatHouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.com/
- Phone: 2125172233
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:30am - 4:00pm Walk-In Only; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm- 4:00pm Reservations Recommended; Dinner (Seasonal Mid April-Last Week in October): Saturday & Sunday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm Reservations Recommended. Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm (Seasonal Mid April-Last Week in October) Reservations Recommended
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Fred Mero
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge
- Public Transit: Stops 6 Train Lexington Avenue Hunter College 68th Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Weekdays from 3pm to 7pm when vehicles are permitted in the park, you can use our parking lot. At all other times, we recommend using the Metropolitan Museum garage at 80th Street and Fifth Avenue and taking the free Boathouse Trolley to and from the restaurant. The garage is open 24 hours.
A word from Central Park BoatHouse
With their 1858 landscaping plan under construction, Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux began adding architectural features to their Park design. Around 1874, Vaux designed a two-story boathouse at the eastern end of the Lake. Here visitors could purchase refreshments, take boat rides, and watch other boats. After this wooden Victorian structure with sloping mansard roof burned down, the current Loeb Boathouse took its place in the 1950s. Today at the New York Boathouse visitors can enjoy a meal in any season, with overhead heating helping to extend as long as possible the pleasure of dining on the deck overlooking the Lake. Come visit a New York legend!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Central Park BoatHouse reviews from OpenTable diners
573 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (473)great for outdoor dining (383)special occasion (335)romantic (334)great for lunch (269)great for brunch (183)hot spot (100)fit for foodies (93)neighborhood gem (88)good for groups (69)notable wine list (58)kid-friendly (58)vibrant bar scene (27)late-night find (25)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014The Central Park BoatHouse was very nice to grant my reservation request to have a table by the water, as we were celebrating my parents' 60th wedding anniversary. The view was great and so was the food, as my fish & chips and my dad's salmon were both excellent. Highly recommended dining destination !Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014perfect dinner, perfect view, overall nice food and wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th anniversary dinnerjeffDined on 9/23/2014Wonderful evening celebrating our 25th. Service excellent, seating perfect - requested special seating. Met another couple also celebrating their 25th we closed the restaurant :-) new friends from Scotland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerryDined on 9/22/2014Very good service and good food. We can recommend this restaurant for special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KimikoDined on 9/22/2014The view is wonderful. Meal was great and service outstanding.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014All the personal are correct..but not totally kind...I prefer other atmosphere....more friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014A beautiful place, but unfortunately with a lousy service. We waited a long time for the food and the check...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gerar experiencePriscillaDined on 9/18/2014It's a wonderfull place to have a great meal with family and friends. The food is delicious, service is fast and friendly, and the ambience makes you feel part of a movie! You gotta love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchIrishDined on 9/18/2014Really enjoyed our lunch, the service was excellent, we are a couple from Dublin in Ireland, we spent a week in NYC and had a very memorable day in Central ParkSpecial Features:
- BruceLee75Dined on 9/17/2014we booked through the on line booking system before leaving the U.K, which was very easy. We got to the resturant early by about a half hour. They provided us with a buzzer so went for a drink on the outside terrace. we were informed that they were a little behind schdule. Our resevation was for 14.00h and were called at 14.15. The staff were very attentive the choice of bread was amazing. food was of a high standard which is what you would expect for the cost. There was a good varied choice on the menu. The location is fantastic with a great backdrop.Special Features:
- Definitely worth every cent!eatingmywayaroundtheworldDined on 9/17/2014Went here for lunch on a perfectly sunny NY day and it was fantastic. We had booked a table and while tables on the lake are not able to be reserved we were lucky enough to have one. The menu has lots of options and was easily accommodating to dietary needs etc. Wine was also perfect with our meals. Our waiter Eddie was a nice and very attentive host.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must in Central ParkBrianDined on 9/17/2014Off cource we go to the Boat House, when we were first time in NY - booked a table i forward an have one with a lake vieuv - PERFEKT. Best crabe cake ever - yummiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surprise!DCgirlVIPDined on 9/16/2014We met Texas friends in NY and were going to the Boathouse - so looking forward to it - unfortunately for us coming from DC, Amtrak had other ideas and all trains cancelled that day til who knows when - I called Boathouse and explained the situation, that our friends still really wanted to come - so they kindly switched to 2 person reservation and our friends enjoyed a wondeful dinner together - they reported they thoroughly enjoyed everything including the beautiful venue! Thanks too for changing the reservation so they could enjoy your restaurant!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/16/2014They did not honor our reservation through open table because we were five minutes late...because shuttle did not pick us up after two phone calls to them....manager has bad attitude. He could have made appropriate arrangements for five minutes being late especially that it was due to their negligible behavior and knowing that we were dealing with a handicapped situation and came from across town.
- Lunch in nycOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014The food, view, and service were outstanding - would recommend highly for a nice time and foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food in the quiet big city parkTheswedDined on 9/15/2014For me it was the fouth time in NYC, but for my girl it was the first so i thought about where i could bring here for a romantic dinner in a big city life, and came up with the Loeb Boathouse. The place is good for romantic dinners, but also for family, friends och reunions to sit down for a great dinner with good wine and amazing view. We went on a open sky night, stars over the rooftops and a moon shining bright, but i felt that it would have been great even if the rain was pooring down.Special Features:
- best tablejanniroDined on 9/15/2014We had lunch on a sunny day and we had a table at the waterfront ... it was so fantastic... the meals were very good and we will come back at our next stay in New York City. We are three gils from Germany.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seahorseDined on 9/15/2014Fantastisk trevlig lunch.Hade bord nærmast vattnet.Mkt nøjda med mat och service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunchLeeBeeDined on 9/15/2014My sister and I celebrated her 50th birthday. We booked online. From the moment we sat until the parting greeting, we were treated with utmost professionalism but personal service.Special Features:
- Nice enough!EviesDined on 9/15/2014Absolutely good place to go when you are i NYC, mostly for the sourroundings and "feelgood" feeling! Food was very good, but a little bit overpriced. Especially when I asked for a apertizer dish to be a main course - theres was of course no problem for them to fix this. But we were charged for 2 apertizers, which I think wasn't so nice and pricy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- badly signposted1poorserviceDined on 9/13/2014A very wet night, a useless ( again ) taxi driver who had never heard of Loeb's Boathouse who consequently dropped us off at the park entrance and said ' it's in there '. Very poorly signposted - in fact no signposts at all. A frantic daughter who was told we'll cancel your booking if they don't show up soon not taking conditions into account. Surly waiting staff who couldn't wait to get finished and leave - removing starter plates whilst some of the party were still eating and the main course arriving before the last guest had finished their starter. My wife offered dessert immediately after the main course - not time at all between courses, asked what time do you close was told 'we are already closed ' - this before 10.30pm. Poor.
- simply amazingGP10Dined on 9/13/2014awesome place for a special occasion because it can be pricey, not a place for a routine saturday night date. took my girl there after i popped the question. delicious food, view of the lake and park.Special Features:
- FineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We were on honeymoon and made it known to the staff prior to our arrival & unfortunately the message was never passed on. The girl that shows us to our table was great and more attentive then anyone else! Food was fine, expensive for what It was, service nothing special at all and we didn't bother staying for dessert. Wouldn't recommend it to a friend.
- Crab Cakes are GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Crab cakes are a must. Got the scallops and they were amazing. Great food and right in the heart of Central Park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet spot in the middle of NYChangesDined on 9/11/2014Very nice surroundings with lakeview in Central Park. Friendly staff, and the food was OK. Not superb but OK. But if you want a romantic lunch or dinner this is the place.Special Features:
- Disappointed!deko85Dined on 9/11/2014"Minor" detail, we took our grandmother to have lunch there for her birthday! "Bread server": Straight face the whole time. Everytime we wanted bread, we had to deal with it. Second time we order bread, we threw the bread towards one of the plates, so the bread fell out of the plate. Awkward and embarassing situation. "Server's helper": Asked him for paper napkins. 10 minutes went by, so I thought he might have had forgotten me. Called him again just to get a rude response "you already asked me that!". I was so angry by that, our main server came talking to us "where are you from?" and etc. He apologized TWICE in the name of his colleagues. I wish I had never chosen that restaurant for such a special date. I am NEVER going back there again.
- Loved Our Anniversary DinnermaureenVIPDined on 9/10/2014We celebrated our anniversary here last year and were back again this year. All of our selections (breads, 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, and 2 desserts) were delicious and the service was kind and attentive without being intrusive. And it's hard to beat the lovely and peaceful setting, open to the air and right on the lake. Like going to the country for a few hours. We'll be back next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous view!AngharadDined on 9/10/2014We have been coming to the Boathouse for years and we have never been disappointed. The view is compelling at any time of day but especially at sunset. I am a born and bred New Yorker and I still love it! Their specials were excellent. We all loved the crab cakes. Service was great - our waitress was friendly and attentive. I highly recommend the Boathouse for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/10/2014Great evening experience in Central Park. September is a great time of year to see NY. The gondola's in the lake with the sunset topped off the setting. Friendly and very accommodating staff.Special Features:
- Terrible Service-And Average FoodMissFoodieDined on 9/10/2014I booked this restaurant from Australia several weeks ago for our 20th anniversary lunch & made a special request for a nice table. The day b4 our lunch, we were in Central Park so I popped in 2 reconfirm and again put in a special rqst for a nice table-lakeside. The man at the entrance who assigned guests to their seats seemed as if he couldn't care less. From here on, I thought that I hope the service isn't all like this. We returned today and unfortunately service was ALL BAD! Food was very average, or very dry-literally. Best things were the pretzel & the coffee. Unfortunately they don't care for service because gratuity is included in the bill. Don't waste your money here. There are much more deserving places to eat at in Manhattan!!!!Special Features:
- Nice restaurantAnnaDined on 9/9/2014It was nice to eat dinner here. Thank you. The food was very good. The staff very friendly and we enjoined the athmosfair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special place!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014Celebrating my 30th wedding anniversary,great place,great food,but don't forget to take a gondola ride on the lake so beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDanielsfansfronperuDined on 9/9/2014Really bad waiting organization. Bad service. Many waiters but having fun with each other instead of attending the guests.Special Features:
- Overall pretty goodKickerDined on 9/8/2014Cab couldn't find it. Wife hasn't been here since pre 9/11, was exactly what she wanted. Not the greatest for kids, but, what nice place is?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holiday lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014We reserved a table in advance from uk glad we did as there was a 45min wait on that day. We were shown to our table over looking the lake, lovely setting. We all really enjoyed our 3 course lunch with wine, top end prices but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boathouse more for viewKikiDined on 9/8/2014I've dined several times at the boathouse. Staff are always lovely, food always amazing but this last time the food was terrible all round. I'd still go back because everyone can have an off day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good oneOscarPDined on 9/7/2014very romantic with good food and a place with a beautiful view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bad serviceLoveToTravelDined on 9/7/2014My wife and I got married at the Boathouse and we go back every year for our anniversary. This was by far the worst service we're had in our many trips to NYC. The tip that was included in the bill I was not happy about giving, on that night I would have only given him 10% due to the poor service. Once seated, it seemed to always take awhile to get his attention, having only checked on us once the whole meal. The table next to us (2 feet away) got 10 times better service for some reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatFdehoyosDined on 9/6/2014It has great food and its like a historic place. I trully loved it. The crab cake has been the best ive ever had. But the sea bass crudo tasted funnySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again. Would not recommend.Jun1252Dined on 9/6/2014Made reservation asking to be seated outdoors.Upon arrival, was told "it's too hot to seat anyone outside." It was warm out, but inside was much warmer,my wife and I were sweating.At the outdoor seating area were people with suits and dresses.I don't know if it was a private event or if they were allowed outside because of how they dressed, but regardless I was lied to.We dressed in the stated dress code, yet others wore shorts and t-shirts.There were flies we kept swatting away, food was overpriced, bland, and small portions left us hungry.When we were sat eating in the hot, overpriced and overrated restaurant eating mediocre food with flies swarming around, we joked we should have gone to Olive Garden. The sad part is we kind of meant it.Special Features: