Central Park BoatHouse
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Central Park BoatHouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.com/
- Phone: 2125172233
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:30am - 4:00pm Walk-In Only; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm- 4:00pm Reservations Recommended; Dinner (Seasonal Mid April-Last Week in October): Saturday & Sunday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm Reservations Recommended. Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm (Seasonal Mid April-Last Week in October) Reservations Recommended
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Fred Mero
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge
- Public Transit: Stops 6 Train Lexington Avenue Hunter College 68th Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Weekdays from 3pm to 7pm when vehicles are permitted in the park, you can use our parking lot. At all other times, we recommend using the Metropolitan Museum garage at 80th Street and Fifth Avenue and taking the free Boathouse Trolley to and from the restaurant. The garage is open 24 hours.
A word from Central Park BoatHouse
With their 1858 landscaping plan under construction, Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux began adding architectural features to their Park design. Around 1874, Vaux designed a two-story boathouse at the eastern end of the Lake. Here visitors could purchase refreshments, take boat rides, and watch other boats. After this wooden Victorian structure with sloping mansard roof burned down, the current Loeb Boathouse took its place in the 1950s. Today at the New York Boathouse visitors can enjoy a meal in any season, with overhead heating helping to extend as long as possible the pleasure of dining on the deck overlooking the Lake. Come visit a New York legend!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Central Park BoatHouse reviews from OpenTable diners
575 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (475)great for outdoor dining (370)special occasion (352)romantic (340)great for lunch (270)great for brunch (186)neighborhood gem (86)fit for foodies (82)hot spot (79)good for groups (69)notable wine list (67)kid-friendly (54)vibrant bar scene (26)late-night find (25)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014This was a great restaurant, we really enjoyed ourselves as we were celebrating our 20th anniversary. It was an extremely hot day, so sitting under canopy on the water was an amazing experience. thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gratuity IncludedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/25/2014Was excited to take my husband to the Boathouse for his birthday. Was surprised the menu entrees seemed so run of the mill, I opted for the veal chop which was very good but the presentation had much to be desired. Also, the service was so so. Perhaps, it was because we didn't order alcoholic beverages. I find that when you don't order alcohol at certain places, the service seems to automatically drop. I was also surprised to see the gratuity included for a party of two and it was only 15% which was all I would have given. Maybe out of towners don't tip or perhaps the service needs a lift. Still one of the nicest places in CP to see the sunset. I recommend appetizers, skip the maincourse, and have dessert to save on an expensive dinner.Special Features:
- Amazing Food! Horrible StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014The Food was to die for! The Staff was Dreadful! Our waiter was rude, condescending, looked down us and assumptive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ERiveraDined on 8/24/2014Very romantic dinner, had a great time! My girl and I loved it. It felt like we where not in NYC!Special Features:
- Special DateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014We started off with a gondola ride and dinner to follow. The atmosphere is beautiful with a great view. Be careful to book well in advance if you need a specific day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic boathouse dinneremk001Dined on 8/23/2014I really enjoyed having dinner at the Boathouse restaurant. We were seated pretty soon after our reservation time and almost all the tables have a really lovely view of the lake which the restaurant sits on. The food was also really good and worth the price. My only complaint was that our waiter was a bit discourteous and seemed to be trying to rush us out towards the end. Otherwise everything was great. It's probably one of the most romantic spots in the city and definitely worth trying out whether you're just visiting NYC or live here.Special Features:
- Romantic dinner at the lakeMarcelPRDined on 8/22/2014Enjoyed a romantic dinner at the lake. Good food, good service. Kitchen closes at 9ish, so be ready to order fast if you make reservations for 9pm. There is also a bar in the front that's very charming as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningxceptionalDined on 8/22/2014We had a wonderful evening at the Boathouse. Outdoor dining away from the city noise was very pleasant. The weather was perfect as was the service and food. We would highly recommend the Boathouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Fabulous restaurant in the heart of the park. We really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC GemHCcoupleDined on 8/22/2014Beautiful spot, very good food and excellent service.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014Came for lunch and everything was just right.....Food, service, it was all perfect.Special Features:
- Fabulous!KayEmmDined on 8/22/2014Great food, beautiful view. A little pricey. If you can't afford dinner price, consider lunch or brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just amazing3aussies1canuckDined on 8/22/2014What a great experience, food was delightful, our waiter was helpful and attentive, the view across the lake watching the boats - everything was amazing.Special Features:
- luvNYDined on 8/22/2014My wife and I enjoyed dining with a couple of friends in this restaurant. I had the monkfish and it was superb. The setting on the lake added another dimension. The service was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience, thank you!BrissyFoodie2104Dined on 8/22/2014This was my and my husband's first visit to this restaurant. We're from Brisbane, Australia and we're hoping for a fabulous place to have lunch in Central Park for my husband's birthday. While it was difficult to find, and taxis aren't able to drive you to the door, we did eventually find the place, and were 15 mins late. I was in a slight panic given many reviews talked of queues and having to be on time or risk losing your table. All was well and while the restaurant was completely packed at 12:15 our table was waiting! Our waiter was an American whose wife was from Adelaide, so we were in great hands from the start. Food was fabulous, from the crab cakes, to the salmon and the clam linguine a standout! We' return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Special Occasion PlaceETFishmanVIPDined on 8/21/2014The BoatHouse is a great place to take visitors from out of town, or to mark a special occasion for New Yorkers. The setting on the lake is spectacular. It was a beautiful day when we visited, but I think even if were raining it would be beautiful. The food is very good and served in large portions, which they should be, as the prices are high. The only complaint I have was that our server was not terribly attentive.Special Features:
- Nice SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/21/2014It is a nicely done rest. with a nice lake backdrop. On Open Table when I tried to do a 1:30 pm res. for 6 it showed as 2:30pm being the only time closest to that time.But when I immediately called the rest. direct they had the 1:30pm time .Special Features:
- Rude service, medorice foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/20/2014I heard great things about this restaurant but my experience was unfortunately not the best. Sat at the bar for a few drinks before dinner and the bartender was extremely unpleasant and rude. The host was also rude, when I requested a specific table he said it was for VIP (the diners who eventually sat down were clearly tourists and not VIP). The food is nothing special. I ordered the lamb chops and the serving size was small and not worth the price. Though the view/atmosphere is nice, I will not be recommending this restaurant to others.Special Features:
- Very nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014It's a nice restaurant located in the middle of Central Park. Beatiful views to the lake. The food was good and the service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for outdoor dining.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014Very busy at lunch midweek, make reservations I did and they had a table for me at my res time, nice touch. I had wild caught fish of some kind it was the best piece of fish i have had in a very long time. It was cooked to perfection.My guests, my 11 year old daughter enjoyed her linguini with clams and her 11 year old friend had pasta with butter and enjoyed several slices of cranberry bread. The scene of course is quite unique,row boats and trees out door dining. The service was very attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late lunch at the BoathouseOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/20/2014My wife and I always return to this spot on our trips to NYC. In contrast to the touristy chaos outside, when seated, it's a civilized oasis overlooking the rowboats in Central Park: white tablecloths, professional staff, excellent traditional food, outstanding wine list. Reservations are a must, with hordes waiting for walkup availability.Special Features:
- The boat houseGiantDined on 8/20/2014We went erlier, 30 min., The reception guy, told us to waite and The table was in a not good location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, view, and ambiancefoodie212Dined on 8/20/2014Our lunch was for a birthday celebration. We were given a beautiful table with a wonderful water view. The drinks, food, and service were all top notch. We felt special and enjoyed every momentSpecial Features:
- Great View Fantastic FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014I would like to thank the Central Park Boathouse restaurant for their great food, service, and seating arrangement. After proposing to my now fiance, I took her in for a celebration lunch at the Central Park Boathouse. My fiance was more than excited and pleased with the great view from our table. The food was delicious and had a couple glasses of champagne to celebrate or engagement. Would recommend this place for the food and location. I do strongly recommend to reserve ahead of time.Special Features:
- Overall an excellent experience!KlmklmDined on 8/19/2014Good food, great service and lovely ambience! One of my favorite places in NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not friendly serviceGrchDined on 8/16/2014Excellent location and ambience. But service coulbe be better. The staff is not friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- JorgeDined on 8/15/2014It is always a treat to dine at The BoatHouse in Central Park. The staff is warm and welcoming, the food outstanding, and its location in the park with a view of the lake is just beautiful. My husband and I spend at least three weekends a year in NYC and we always make reservations to eat at the BoatHouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BreathtakingOurItalianDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I celebrated our 54th wedding anniversary at Central Park Boathouse. We were led to a lake view table. The day was sunny and the waiters couldn't be more attentive. One waiter suggested the halibut which was Devine, perfectly cooked and served over a bed of fresh vegetable slaw. We live on the other side of Central Park and walked through the park to the boathouse. Great views, great food, we made a great choice to celebrate there. Wonderful day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodRebeccahmedDined on 8/14/2014Fresh air, good food, beautiful view. I had lunch with 2 friends and was really nice. We are from Brasil and they were very nice with us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too long of a waitLuZendronDined on 8/14/2014Our reservation was for 2 p.m. And we only got seated at 2:50 p.m. Since we had a reservation, almost an hour waiting for a table is way too long, and made everyone cranky. The food however was delicious, as well as the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrong at the BoatHouseLindaTampaDined on 8/14/2014We had lunch on a beautiful day in mid August. You can't beat the atmosphere and the view! The food was very good - we enjoyed the crab cakes the most. Our lunch entrees were also delicious. The services is good. My only disappointment is that the bread is not served warm. The prices run high but the view is worth it. I recommend the BoatHouse when visiting NYC especially when the weather is comfortable! Make reservations in advance.Special Features:
- romantic ambianceMicheDined on 8/14/2014we had a reservation and came early for lunch, the waiter found us a very nice table near the water. It was a wonderful moment out of Manhattan noise. I recommendSpecial Features:
- Mistakes CorrectedJDeatsDined on 8/13/2014Celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary, requested a table at waterside. When we got there at 7:50pm, we were told our table would be ready in 4 minutes, but not waterside table, even though there were some available. Told party has to be more than 2. Manager said our table was ready-bottle of prosecco would be at our table, or we could wait 30 minutes for table at the water. Great bread, my wife had a salad appetizer she raved over. My chicken dish was good, wife's linguini great. Chocolate tart was good. She found a hair in her salad, and we pointed it out to the server (Frankie, who was very good). Gratuity included - bill was about $120. The manager removed my wife's salad and my dessert from bill due to our troubles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing at the BoathouseJezabelDined on 8/13/2014A really nice way to spend a couple of hours. Nice atmosphere, scenic, and food and wine were delicious! Highly recommend you make a reservation if travelling to New York. The service was amazing and the menu had a good selection to choose from. I will definitely be dining there again if I make it back to New York.Special Features:
- feorgDined on 8/11/2014Fantastic location with excellent service and food. The only negative was that we only got a table one hour after our time of reservation. We had a great table on the waterfront that helped forgetting the waiting time. This needs to be improved so that we can recommend going to the restaurant in the future.Special Features:
- Beautiful viewisaoliDined on 8/11/2014Beautiful view. The waiters were very nice. The food was not so good as I expected. I asked for Aioli fish and chips. The fish had no taste. The sauce was too spicy and the chips were very salty. But at the end it was a very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a special occassionDinesAroundDined on 8/10/2014Had a beautiful dinner here with the hubby and our 2 boys (11 & 9). Ambiance, food and setting couldn't be better. Service was a bit disappointing and we ended up skipping dessert after waiting 15min for the waiter to return to take our order for it. They automatically add the tip to your bill (even for a small table of 4...surprising), so maybe that removes their incentive to serve? We'd go back though - maybe without the kids next time ;)Special Features:
- Nice romantic dinner.NecrorodDined on 8/8/2014Food was good. Service was very slow and it took very long time to get our order. But the scenario is great with nice view that compensate the long waiting .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service...Beautiful ViewAngieQVIPDined on 8/8/2014I guess the fact that tip is included in the bill is less motivation for the waitstaff! Although the waitress was very friendly, she took forever to bring out each course. At least 35 minutes before we received our appetizers, another 30 minutes for main, we ended up closing the place down. We sat at 6:30pm and didn't leave until after 10pm. Beautiful place, good food, but they need to have much better service.
- calme en plein centre de New YorkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Ambiance tres agreable,table bien placee,vue sur les petits bateaux du lac. J y retournerais volontiers.Service impeccable,bon vin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.