Central Park BoatHouse
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Central Park BoatHouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.com/
- Phone: 2125172233
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:30am - 4:00pm Walk-In Only; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm- 4:00pm Reservations Recommended; Dinner (Seasonal Mid April-Last Week in October): Saturday & Sunday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm Reservations Recommended. Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm (Seasonal Mid April-Last Week in October) Reservations Recommended
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Fred Mero
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge
- Public Transit: Stops 6 Train Lexington Avenue Hunter College 68th Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Weekdays from 3pm to 7pm when vehicles are permitted in the park, you can use our parking lot. At all other times, we recommend using the Metropolitan Museum garage at 80th Street and Fifth Avenue and taking the free Boathouse Trolley to and from the restaurant. The garage is open 24 hours.
A word from Central Park BoatHouse
With their 1858 landscaping plan under construction, Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux began adding architectural features to their Park design. Around 1874, Vaux designed a two-story boathouse at the eastern end of the Lake. Here visitors could purchase refreshments, take boat rides, and watch other boats. After this wooden Victorian structure with sloping mansard roof burned down, the current Loeb Boathouse took its place in the 1950s. Today at the New York Boathouse visitors can enjoy a meal in any season, with overhead heating helping to extend as long as possible the pleasure of dining on the deck overlooking the Lake. Come visit a New York legend!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Central Park BoatHouse - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Central Park BoatHouse reviews from OpenTable diners
551 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (452)great for outdoor dining (343)special occasion (328)romantic (308)great for lunch (272)great for brunch (168)fit for foodies (106)neighborhood gem (96)hot spot (92)good for groups (77)notable wine list (56)kid-friendly (49)vibrant bar scene (29)late-night find (24)Show More
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014Food, wine and cocktail menu was excellent. The wait staff are just the right level of attentive and the view is stunning. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For out of townersfreshfieldsVIPDined on 10/25/2014Great place to take out of town guests. View over lake is beautiful at night. Had a 7:30 reservation ans was surprised how crowed the roomwas which created a high noise level. Goat better as night went on. Portions large and fairly priced.
- Good food - bad experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014We booked The Boathouse via internet in advance of our stay in NY. The reviews and advertising seemed good for our 'special evening'. The address given for the restaurant, however, is on the edge of Central Park and some distance from the restaurant itself. Taxis may not enter Central Park in the evening yet none of this was mentioned in the advertising nor the confirmation of the reservation. A call to the restaurant revealed that we should await a shuttle that would be with us in 5-10 minutes. We waited 40 minutes. Though the meal and table service were good, this bad experience was repeated at the end of the evening as the shuttle was not there. Neither the receptionist nor the manager could predict its arrival. Hence my service rating.
- Fine service and veggie friendlySoBeSparkyDined on 10/24/2014In addition to great service, fine ambiance, and a sunset view across the Central Park pond, The Boathouse offers choices of fine dining vegetarian appetizers, salads and entrees, a great bonus. Many New York places ignore vegetarians or have a take-it-or-leave-it single dish. Worse, of course, are those ignorant restaurants which say, "we have plenty of salads," as if vegetarians were rabbits. Our waiter Jonathan's service was perfect, friendly but not chummy, smiling but not condescending, and knowledgeable about the menu items and wines. Overall, I was impressed with the warmth of the staff as well as prices which were reasonable considering the location and quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JorgeDined on 10/24/2014After enjoying a beautiful walk in Central Park, my husband and i were so happy to treat my sister to dinner at The Boat House. She was visiting from Indianapolis and totally enjoyed such a wonderful dining experience. The food, the ambience, the service were all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/20145 of us had late lunch. Everything tasted great and the wait staff was very personable and polite. From wine to dessert a lovely place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experienceNice123Dined on 10/24/2014The setting was lovely and the staff were good. Crab cakes were lovely as recommended. There could have been more meat in the Bolognese and the bread was stale. Overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View New York at its Best!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014You can't beat a window table overlooking the lake! Try the crab cakes or mini burgers for lunch. Great ambiance . Great for a romantic evening too.Special Features:
- Dark at nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014In the evening, when it's dark, nothing can be seen inside out. That's a pity, because one of the main reasons to select this place is the lake view and bright lights are not present. You will have to walk about 7 minutes from 72nd Street at the East side of Central Park to get to the Boathouse, because taxi's are not allowed in the park. So you have to hope it will be dry and not windy. The food is good and the staff is doing their best and that's appreciated.Special Features:
- Go just before sunset!1heavenDined on 10/21/2014Arrived an hour before to enjoy the park. Beautiful autumn day. Sat for dinner at 5:30 and watched the boaters slowly disappear from the lake as twilight appeared as we enjoyed a beautiful dinner with friends and family. My 94 year old Mother said 'I can go now, because this is heaven'Special Features:
- Boat HeavenFlowers2012Dined on 10/21/2014We would go here every time we visit NYC. From the crabcake appetizer to the fresh bread, we hadn't even started and I was impressed. Lunch was even better than I thought it would be and worth every penny. Great waterfront park location just added to our experience of all the top places to visit in New York. Highly recommend and I'm a food and wine snob!Special Features:
- Wonderful lunchElizabeth1Dined on 10/21/2014Brought my mother here on her first trip to NYC. The view of the water and fall trees in contrast to the simple, yet elegant interior design was beautiful. Food was pricey for lunch, but delicious. Our waiter was very knowledgable and friendly. It took a bit longer than we would have liked to get our food since there was only the two of us. Highly recommend The Boat House!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Beautiful location & view. Very reasonable prices considering it's NY. Great menu variety. Fast & friendly service. Would go back every week if I lived in NYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBettyDined on 10/19/2014We went to this restaurant on recommendation. We visited on a very cold october night. We took a taxi and was told not to walk through the park but to wait for the bus to take us. We waited about 15 minutes and eventually it turned up. We were seated near the side window and it was very very cold. We asked to move as it was too cold to sit where we had been seated. It was still cold but a little warmer from where we originally sat. The food was not too great. I had the crab cake which was nice and a steak which was covered in a mushroom sauce which was very strong. It was served with mash potatoes which were cold. My husband had pasta and chicken which was not just better. We were really disappointed as it was a special occasion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent service and food. Will defentely go back to this restaurant next time I visit New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/17/2014I booked this restaurant for my birthday dinner and it was incredible! I had family visiting me from out of town and I wanted to take them to an iconic restaurant in the city, and I've always loved the ambiance of the Boathouse. Plus, the host mentioned my birthday when we arrived, guided us to a perfect table by the water and put a birthday candle in the dessert! Those touches were very much appreciated and I had a fantastic time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience. The waiters were attentive and the scenery was fantastic!Special Features:
- Perfect spot in NYC!!!MaryVIPDined on 10/17/2014Had a wonderful lunch...was not rushed, the food and the view of the water made us feel like we were in a movie. The whole place was a 10!!Special Features:
- Love this placepvnycDined on 10/17/2014We go here every other months for lunch. We love this place, beautiful view, quiet and special, because they the only one in central park.Special Features:
- Captures NYCMarkDined on 10/16/2014Want to get a great feel for CentrAl Park? Don't miss a weekend brunch at the Boat House. Been here before and will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The awesomeness stops at the viewOmoshiroiDined on 10/15/2014Rude staff. Got my menu chucked at me Unhelpful hostess. Was lied to about having a booked house and how only parties of 3-4 can be seated at the waterside. Then 2 other couples were seated at the waterside (we were celebrating our wedding, all the way from Australia too) Food wasn't too bad even though the advertised pork tenderloin is actually pork fillets (wrong cut for the style of cooking which made it very tough and hard to eat). Canned apple sauce with it. Wrong entree delivered. On top of it all, we weren't allowed to choose our tip, they precalculated that all in for you. Convenient Dessert was overly sweet and not a good variety. Kinda killed a good day for us and bought the mood downSpecial Features:
- Perfect !!!We loved!reginacaniatoDined on 10/15/2014We loved the this place , is very comfortable for lunch with friends . We definitely would return to try more dishes next year. The steak was amazing and the salad was refreshing. Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Problems getting a good tableCharlieDined on 10/14/2014The Maître d' insisted on siting us towards they back although there were several tables right next to the lake were the view is best. They claimed that those tables were for 3 or more gusts but there were a few of those tables with only to people. When they saw I was then going to leave, the agreed to sit me on the table next to the handrail (were I wanted to sit).Special Features:
- Perfect dining spotLyndaDined on 10/14/2014This was my first time at this restaurant. The location is amazing, but the food and service were also terrific. We were not rushed, enjoyed the evening and had a variety of dishes. Everything was perfect.Special Features:
- little beautyfood4thoughtDined on 10/14/2014Lovely atmosphere with very good food & friendly service. Little bit expensive but worth it especially for special occasions . Two important things to note is book in advance & due to its popularity don't expect to be seated on time. Would definitely recommend & love to visit again one day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Last week we had a lunch at the boathouse. The sun was shining en the view on the park was magnificent. We made a reservation at 1.30 pm, but it was crowded and we had to wait till 1.50 before we could sit at our table. The food and the service were both good. The restaurant is pretty expensive, mostly because of the view and not the service/food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/13/2014It was our daughter's birthday and the Boathouse was very special. Even the misty rain added some drama.Special Features:
- An oasis in the parkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014We had the opportunity to have a late lunch at the Boathouse and it was a beautiful setting. The food was wonderful, though there were a lot of different servers during the meal, the service was good.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere in Central Parkgr8placeDined on 10/13/2014Located right in the heart of Central Park. Dining experience and service very good. Great place to have lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hi-lightmikeH57Dined on 10/11/2014This was the first time family joined us in NY from Italy and we were anxious to leave them with some off beat memories. The water front table was great, the racoon and floodlit fish a delight and the food as to be expected from a good reputation. Not as elegant or pretentious as the T on the Green in its hay-day and a pity that the taxis didn't appear to know where the place was. Hardly the fault of the restaurant which is to be applauded. Staff were uncharacteristically polite, efficient and "charming"... Great wine and suitably attentive waiter. Pity about the desert menu which we thought somewhat bland... the cookies went down well.Special Features:
- Lunch on a FridayNCUSADined on 10/10/2014Superb view, Superb service, Superb food...was a great first stop in NYC...Special Features:
- ExperienceMandmnyDined on 10/10/2014We had a great table overlooking the lake. Service was excellent. Food was very good with a variety and good level of pricesSpecial Features:
- service good, food OK,rononeDined on 10/9/2014The service was good, the food OK, lamb a bit fatty, crab blob good, beef OK, vegetables not great, desserts nice. Wine list OK, bit over priced. Need better outdoor / lake lighting for night diningSpecial Features:
- yvesDined on 10/8/2014A place to visit as a tourist first time in NYC. Great location, good food, but maybe somewhat noisy and windySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CaPiDined on 10/7/2014Whenever in NY, my husband and I make sure we have enough time to go this great restaurant, even for a quick meal. Food is delicious, view is spectacular with a great ambiance. Late-nigh dinner is a wonderful option and having the shuttle to take you to 5th Avenue is perfect!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic VenueScotgoatsDined on 10/7/2014Setting lovely, service great, food fabby. The Restaurant was really busy but we still had a lovely relaxing lunch as the waiters did not hurry us along, they left the appropriate time between courses and topping up drinks.Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurant!UzmaDined on 10/7/2014Scenic, peaceful and romantic venue in the heart of a vibrant city.Special Features:
- Great locationfranzipanDined on 10/6/2014I booked ahead and we had a great table looking out over the water, the service was excellent, despite how busy the restaurant was . It was our second visit and we felt the food was better last time, although it could have been the choice we made: monkfish - cooked to perfection but the accompanying couscous was pretty dull and the grapefruit with it didn't go at all. The blueberry and plum crisp for desert was delicious and the wine list has plenty of great wines to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyable Lunchtakeme2dinnerDined on 10/6/2014Central park Boathouse was the perfect choice for a recent birthday celebration lunch. We had a table next to the window overlooking the lake as requested. The food was delicious and the service efficient and friendly. Highly recommended for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great time in BoatHouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Great food, great service, everything is great. I really had a good time with my girlSpecial Features: