Central Park Bistro
181 East 4th Avenue
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Central Park Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centralparkbistro.com/
- Phone: 6505588401
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: George Garcia
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can recreate our menu or customize it to your needs. Please call for details.
A word from Central Park Bistro
Central Park Bistro is a 100 seat contemporary restaurant in downtown San Mateo featuring fresh seasonal American cuisine, in the $15-$26 range. We offer a carefully chosen eclectic Wine Spectator award-winning wine list. Central Park Bistro is an affordable sophisticated, fun dining experience. Relax and unwind with a house specialty cocktail at our wonderful Martini Bar. We also have several intimate private dining rooms perfect for that corporate presentation business meeting, wedding rehearsal dinner, retirement/anniversary dinner, or any special function you may have in mind. Check out our private wine cellar room which seats up to 8 people for that extra special dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Central Park Bistro - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Central Park Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (24)special occasion (21)good for groups (14)romantic (14)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (10)great for outdoor dining (6)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- New Go-To placeRbtsfcaVIPDined on 9/13/2014Our family and 2 other families went to CPB based upon open table. We were very impressed. Menu was great---my wife had trouble cho0sing from many great options. Lots of interestingly prepared dishes and plenty of healthy options. Food was tasty and well done. Portions were reasonable. Service was friendly and accommodating. As an example, we split several entrees, and the wait staff divvied up the entrees onto several plates out of courtesy. BTW cocktails and wine list were good. Moscow mule served in the proper copper mug. Well done. Be a good spot for a date night with wife/husband or groups. It seemed good for older kids as well (we were there on the early side though). CPB is our new go-to place.Special Features:
- Lackluster.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014Not a bad place, but the cost does not seem to match what you get. At over $120 for a three courses and a single cocktail, I have to say there were duds. First of all, the place looks kind of shabby and dated. The upholstery on the built in benches looked kind of dirty and worn. No one seemed especially interested in serving us, though when they stopped hanging out and chatting with each other, they were pleasant enough, but couldn't be bothered to box our leftovers up for us. Overall the food was between good and OK, though the desserts were crazy sweet and I have a sweet tooth. The cocktail I ordered was good, very tart and they don't skimp on the booze. If this place were 1/3 the price I'd recommend it.
- Very disappointedUnhappyreturningguestDined on 9/12/2014Besides from the amibiance and the bread and seasoned butter, our Friday night dinner was very frustrating. The service was terrible, our waiter was too busy watching the giants game at the bar. He took our order and never returned until we had asked for the check from another waiter. The resteraunt was not too busy, but even with reservations, we were seated in a very small, front corner table. The food was disappointing. The skirt steak was chewy and tasteless and the ribs were tough. Deffinitely not fall of the bone ribs you'd expect from a pricey restaurant. We will not return nor will we recommend to our friends.Special Features:
- Casual elleganceEdwardianBallDined on 9/10/2014Good food, well presented in a pleasant atmosphere free from pretension. Service prompt and efficient, waiter was one of the owners and had time to chat a little about wine despite the place being very busy. Great choice for a special occasion, especially for those with gluten allergies. Wish I could afford to go more often, but it is a pricey experience.Special Features:
- Great placeToniDined on 9/10/2014Everything was delicious for lunch. Very nicely presented and the best of service. Will def come back !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Central Park BistroTomAndRickDined on 9/8/2014Don't miss this gem in San Mateo. Great food, great service. Outstanding wine list. Georgio and Eyyup will take very good care of you.Special Features:
- JessicaDined on 9/6/2014Service was warm and friendly, and the food was excellent. JessicaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good business lunchRealCustomerDined on 9/4/2014Food was elegent. Cost was reasonable. Service was unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodTheEateryGirlDined on 8/19/2014This was my first time coming here, and I was hosting a business lunch. It didn't take long for us to place our order, and I noticed that the noise level was just fine for us to be able to have a conversation just fine without having to strain to hear. All of our dishes came out pretty much at the same time, and I noticed right away how decoratively the food was placed on the plates. All plates were empty when the waiter came back for them! It's easy to get in and out there, and at the same time, they didn't shove us out the door when the restaurant closed at 2:30 p.m. until dinner and we were still talking. A good restaurant that I'm very glad to have found.Special Features:
- wonderful mealsmlocalDined on 8/1/2014Wonderful place for a leisurely meal. Food is delicious - sirloin steak cooked perfectly (medium rare) with red wine reduction sauce, scallops also done perfectly melting in your mouth.Special Features:
- Dog Friendly RestaurantDineswithDogsDined on 7/30/2014The menu at Central Park Bistro is good enough to satisfy foodies, and the outdoor seating allows them to bring their dogs, too. The sidewalk in front is busy, but tables are against the restaurant, and the people watching is fun.
- A GemSonnySteeleDined on 7/30/2014Excellent service of the friendly-but-professional sort, tasty, interesting, well-prepared food (try the chicken ... seriously!) ... been there before, will go there again ... and again ... and again.Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentMangiaDined on 7/28/2014This was the first time we've had lunch here. Each dish was excellent and the personable service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only one small complaint.BeforetheshowDined on 7/19/2014Dinner was perfect. But the cappuccino we ordered was never served promptly during the time we were eating our dessert. We were charged for it and were going to have the bill refigured but the waiter brought the cappuccino even thought we did not want it at that point. Other than that no complaints.Special Features:
- Delicious and good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/2/2014Fresh ingredients, made to order with wonderful service. We enjoyed our experience very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But Pricey (ouch)...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/16/2014We enjoyed our dinner...that is until the bill came...more than $150 for two with my wife only ordering appetizers...no main course...as I said good but not $150 good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/14/2014Food wad delicious and it's a great spot. I thought it was a little pricey, but it was good.
- Love the SeaBassSuzanneVIPDined on 6/13/2014As always, delicious & interesting food and Georgio is a great Host! Beautiful salad & they always do wonderful things with their seafood.Special Features:
- food and servicejwscostaricasanfranciscoDined on 5/29/2014good food in a nice place. service was good. when asked our waiter what was good or what was in a dish; he didn't know. he should not be taking orders if he does not know. disappointing not being able to explain entrees. meat balls for app where very good. pasta with sea food was very average. the sauce was way too sweet. i asked for less sauce and it still had too much. sea food in the pasta tasted frozen. very average dish. other dishes looked good. would go back for drinks and apps.
- The following 477 reviews are from the Central Park Bistro reviews archive.
- PaulVIPDined on 5/17/2014Great dinner. The pork chop special the night we went was superb! Hoping they'll make it a regular item on their dinner menu.Special Features:
- No service no airOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/15/2014It was 83 degrees with no air and we say and just sweat with no one ever in all the time we had lunch asked us if we wanted anything but water. It was 96 outside and we were just looking for good food and z comfortable place to celebrate. We went to the back and turned on the air! So crazy expensive for a 3 bite salad with a piece of fish.
- Good Dining in the NeighborhoodRobertDined on 5/11/2014A reliable place for dinner. Nice assortment of well prepared entrees and appetizers, service is usually very good.
- Pretty goodTomSVIPDined on 5/11/2014We went for mother's day, early reservation which was nice, before the crowd arrived. We thought the food and service was good, entrees which included rib eye, skirt steak and couple pastas - the pasta's stood out as the best. The only criticism was the calamari appetizer was a little tough and bread soft like wonder bread. Given that it was over $200 for 4 people, 2 beers, 1 wine, i'd rate it on the expensive side for an overall average food experience.Special Features:
- Always greatLars90274VIPDined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day brunch was great, we always enjoy dinner at Central Park and The brunch was a first for us. Thanks for another great meal,Special Features:
- Mothers dayOneshtchiDined on 5/11/2014Food was good overall. Service was alittle slow. I think the bidder was inexperienced .. Going out Mother's Day is a tough day. Mom liked her dish..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014I've learned my lesson for next year, make a Mother's Day reservation two weeks in advance in San Mateo. All the good places were booked when I called a week before. The brunch was not very good, which I guess I can let go since brunch is not their specialty. The service was not good. The waiter seemed frazzled and like he was thinking about the next thing he needs to do. The staff was attentive but our main server was not friendly in the beginning because he seemed he was too focused on something else. He was nicer toward the end, when we were leaving! Too little too late! Definitely not coming back, especially since they charged me twice. Luckily I didn't get overdrawn, the charge fell off in two days.
- Go out of my way to come heresaxygalDined on 5/2/2014We live several hours away, but I always look for an excuse to have dinner here when we're reasonably near. We usually have starters, but several come with sides so that they are actually full dinners—even then I usually take leftovers home. Many of the items are prepared with local produce so that there are seasonal changes; for example, the butter lettuce salad is described online as coming with figs and walnuts, but in May we had plums and peanuts. We also love the "bread pudding," which is not like the American version but much more like the English "sticky toffee pudding." It's a dense cake soaked in a wonderful caramel-y syrup, topped with vanilla ice cream (probably house-made). Um, I'm already ready to go back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor service and valuejp9ballDined on 4/19/2014The food was good, but the service was not up to par. The place is way overpriced for what they are serving. For example, a simple small pasta off the kids menu (linguine with a vegetarian alfredo sauce) is $24 - more than some of the adult meals. When we asked the server about the meal, he said that is just how it is, sorry... There are better places popping up in San Mateo, go to one of those.
- Third time is more than a charm!GCS1VIPDined on 4/18/2014This is my third time at this restaurant and it just keeps getting better and better. The staff is absolutely outstanding. They truly want you to have a wonderful experience. The food is completely awesome! I will be back and back again! You just have to try it for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks, skip the foodmelisVIPDined on 4/1/2014The elderflower cocktail was one of the best cocktails I have ever had. However, when I asked that steak be added to my salad...they brought a salad (soaked w/ a gross dressing) pushed to half of the plate and steak smothered with gravy on other side of plate. HUH? Maybe the waiter didn't understand but who would order an entree salad with gravy-soaked steak? I would have sent back but I fear the repercussions. Also, very few people were in restaurant yet service was ridiculously slow.
- fun double date!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/28/2014We had a great time at Central Park. The bartender makes the BEST cocktails and the food is very fresh and seasonal. We sat at the bar until our friends arrive and the staff and patrons are very inviting and friendly. The owner Georgio always remembers us.....and other patrons ( because we heard them talking about it) making us feel right at home. What a fun night! Definitely one of the best places to go in San Mateo!Special Features:
- lovely mealOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/27/2014The wine selection was very nice, the meal was delicious and the service just right. An enjoyable meal on a quiet weeknight.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Lunch SpotOutdoordinerVIPDined on 3/26/2014We found this restaurant on Open Table and loved it! The food was delicious and we will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So So......LiketoeatDined on 3/24/2014First time at this restaurant. The food was very good but way overpriced. The service seemed rushed and a little unorganized. Asked for bacon on my burger and it came without. When I pointed it out, our waiter brought me cold chopped up bacon on a separate plate. The bread pudding was really delicious but tiny for the price. Check out the rockin' bread pudding at Town in San Carlos. Overall Central Park Bistro was good but would not repeat.
- nice place to dinemikeDined on 3/22/2014Enjoyed an evening dinning here..food was very good and service was excellent. A place to return to in future.Special Features:
- Not the best service in townFunfoodieVIPDined on 3/14/2014we had 8PM res on Friday evening and other tables were clearing out early. Our waiter was busy talking to other waiters and we had to ask someone at bar to bring us anther glass of wine before our dinner was completely finished. Too many great places in San Mateo to go back and the food was forgettable.
- Good Service, Small PortionsEmeraldDined on 3/8/2014Our waiter was attentive and helpful, and the ambiance was good for a romantic dinner. My husband had the scallops entree, which was delicious, but it consisted of THREE scallops. For $28, listed as an entree, they could afford to add a few more scallops. I was happy with the lamb chop appetizer which had two lambchops, but I was actively choosing a smaller serving for a lower price. The food was good and our experience was good, except for the above suggestion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodGeorgeDined on 3/7/2014The Ribs came off of the bones with the slightest touch. They have very good local beer to go with the ribs.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and DeliciousErikDined on 3/6/2014Central Park Bistro is consistently good. I've never ordered something I didn't end up liking. This last time was fantastic. The goat cheese and pear ravioli were absolutely delicious--highly recommended. This is a great place for a business lunch, especially if you have 5+ people. With 5 or more they put you in the other half of the restaurant which is significantly more quiet, meaning it's easier to talk business. The menu changes all the time, as it should at good restaurants. Even in San Mateo, with all its great restaurants, it's hard to find places that really focus on seasonal cuisine, beyond one or two specials of the day/week. If you haven't tried Central Park Bistro, you definitely should.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great FlavorsFoodie20VIPDined on 3/3/2014The seared scallops with the mushroom and asparagus risotto was wonderful, flavorful and beautifully presented!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.