Central Michel Richard
1001 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Central Michel Richard
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centralmichelrichard.com/
- Phone: 2026260015x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Friday:5:00-11:00pm - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: David Deshaies
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Join us at Central Michel Richard for your next business meeting or special occasion. Our Jean Louis room is available for lunch and dinner and features a floor to ceiling glass wall that allows your group to see all the action of our open kitchen. It is also equipped with exceptional meeting amenities including a flat screen television and an independent sound system with ipod/cd/dvd/pc capabilities. We look forward to hosting your event.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 2026260015x
- Special Events: Our Jean Louis private dining room accommodates up 16 people. It has exceptional amenities including a flat screen tv and a sound system with cd/dvd/ipod compatibility.
A word from Central Michel Richard
Michel Richard's modern American brasserie,and winner of the 2008 James Beard award for best new restaurant is located on Penn. Ave NW between the White House and the Capitol. We serve Michel's tribute to great American cuisine, both modern and classic, with a French accent. A vibrant bar scene with boutique beer and wines, and modern and classic cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Central Michel Richard reviews from OpenTable diners
460 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (287)special occasion (170)great for lunch (129)hot spot (109)notable wine list (100)neighborhood gem (90)vibrant bar scene (77)great for outdoor dining (74)good for groups (70)romantic (55)late-night find (25)great for brunch (17)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (9)Show More
- Double BD Night outCWCDDined on 9/13/2014Dined with the Misses and Son both of whom had BD's the week of the 7th of September. My request for a table that I really like was accommodated, we dined early and perhaps that helped. We tried the Fried Chicken for the first time and while clearly different that a Popeye's outing it was really quite good. Good wine list and wine service. Good night for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We're regulars, seasonally or more!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Some of the most delicious food I have ever enjoyed. A modern, comfortable setting with good service. Our friends, who are regulars, turned us on to the restaurant in its inaugural year. We've been regulars ever since.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great comfort food at a good priceBethesdaDadDined on 9/12/2014What a concept. Old favorites cooked especially well. I never would have thought I would order fried chicken at an upscale restaurant, but I did, and it was the best fried chicken I've ever eaten. No skin, just tender, moist meat (yes, even the white meat was moist and tender) with a crunchy crust and a sauce that complimented it perfectly. I also had the cheese puffs which were irresistible. The mussel soup was excellent. Service is friendly and professional. My waiter from two weeks ago recognized me. That's the kind of waitstaff they have. The only thing I didn't like was how noisy it was, probably because I went on a Friday.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/12/2014I'd eat here more often if it wasn't for the noise level.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceDktran31VIPDined on 9/12/2014Went here for dinner on a Friday night with a friend. The ambiance of the place is pretty cool. Romantic and classy. They have a huge wine selection (you have to ask for the wine list as it is not included on the menu.) We sat at a table right next to the open kitchen. It's neat to be able to see the chefs at work. The restaurant is fairly loud, you will need to get close to each other and speak pretty loudly to be audible. I give the food a B. We had the tuna carpaccio, scallops, lamb shank and banana split. The tuna was absolutely delicious. Scallops and lamb were both large and very well prepared but not that tasty. The banana split was flat out massive. Overall an above-average place that I would return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThomDined on 9/11/2014Food was good but continually asking staff for more of our Birthday Champaghne and extra bread and items was annoying. Spending time getting staff attention took away from the experience. Dissappointing. Maynot returnSpecial Features:
- SuzieVIPDined on 9/11/2014This is a great location for pre theater dining. The food is good and service was terrific.Special Features:
- Great as always.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/10/2014Server was knowledgeable and very helpful with decision making. Friendly, attentive service. Shared an excellent tuna carpaccio. Steak tartare was a hit with my husband. Very nice fries. Very much enjoyed the crispy scallops. English peas & carrot side was tasty but not anything outstanding. Overall. a great meal before a play at the nearby National Theater.Special Features:
- GeorgesthoughtsVIPDined on 9/6/2014Wonderful food, attentive wait staff. Restaurant was loud which is fine unless someone in your party is hearing impaired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level poor; food averageGNZmarchDined on 9/4/2014The place was far too noisy to be able to enjoy a meal with friends (and it was not even operating at full house). Very disappointing. Food was average. Service was excellent. Attentive waiter. One item of my meal tasted off and it was quickly replaced with a freshly cooked one, but overall the food was just so so. $54 for a single glass of wine, nondescript entree and coffee felt steep.Special Features:
- Pre-theater birthday celebrationOutgoingDined on 9/4/2014When making the reservation, we mentioned it was a birthday dinner. They seated us in a private alcove and put a candle on the dessert...without a reminder. Excellent, friendly service. Food extraordinary. Nice energetic vibe....especially in the bar.Special Features:
- Scored a table outside for dinnerVSKfoodieVIPDined on 9/3/2014My girlfriends and I had a nice dinner at Central this week. The two best parts of our experience were that we were able to sit outside and we ordered the celebration cake! The food was good, also (I had the scallops and I tasted my friend's lobster burger, which was very good-although the bun was pretty big). The celebration cake came with a sparkler on top--and it was delicious--cake, ice cream, and a chocolate cup to hold it all together. I would only say that the interior of the restaurant was not very inviting--and it was dark (even when the sun was still out), and the the chairs and tables reminded me of a cafeteria; the women's room could also use some updating. I wouldn't go back unless I could sit outside.Special Features:
- Girls Night OutBeatriceDined on 9/3/2014We were not disappointed by Central. The lobster burger is still decadent and the gougères delicious. Our waiter was very helpful in suggesting a new wine after we learned our first choice was not available. We had a great night. It helped we were there mid-week: the restaurant was not too busy and we were not rushed to accommodate other diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aspid777Dined on 9/3/2014Good food. Loved the chicken schnitzel. Not so much the fried chicken. The tempranillo was correct but awfully overpricedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014We try to eat at Central whenever we are in D.C. The hamburger is one of the best I've had, although whatever we get is excellent. The restaurant can get pretty noisy, so, if we can, we eat outside and people watch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner but no dessertlovefood2Dined on 8/30/2014We had a quick delicious chicken dinner at 6:30 pm before our National theater show at Central and asked the host if we can come back later for dessert. She said we could if we just got to the bar by 11 pm. We arrived at 10:45 pm and were told that the kitchen was closed and could not be served. We were so disappointed as we were looking forward to trying their desserts. I can't depend on what the hosts say in this restaurant. We walked over to the Hamilton instead for late night desserts as the theater recommended.Special Features:
- Paris on Pennsylvania AvenueMichaelVIPDined on 8/30/2014Michel Richard's Central still holds its own as DC's most delightful bistro. In one sense, it's a classic brasserie. But it's also captures Michel Richard's inventiveness and playfulness. And Chef David Deshaies' kitchen turns out exceptional food. A delightful restaurant all round. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great cookingMxeaterDined on 8/30/2014Splendid cooking. Flavours, textures and smells to fully enjoy.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodQueenBeechDined on 8/29/2014Had a great time with a last minute reservation. The drinks were great and the food never disappoints. It always seems silly to order the fried chicken but it is easily the best fried chicken I have ever had.Special Features:
- Work lunchlaineybVIPDined on 8/29/2014This was a great place for taking some colleagues out for lunch. It feels special; but not too fancy that all folks in our party could find something that suited their tastes. We were lucky enough to get an outdoor table for our group. Our waiter was excellent.Special Features:
- This food is pure Genius!HappybirthdayDined on 8/29/2014I have eaten at Centrals many, many times and the quality of the food never disappoints. The food is always fresh and tastes exactly the same each time. I love this consistency. This is a rare accomplishment for restaurants to complete every single time (for various reasons); however, the flavor, temperature, look and taste is always perfection!Special Features:
- Did Not Disappoint!rvbritDined on 8/27/2014I have been wanting to try out Central Michel Richard for some time and finally had the opportunity! So amazingly happy that I finally got my chance to experience the great food! Started with the beet salad and it was so light and delicious... I could taste all the flavors from the beets to the watermelon and asian pears. My entree was the Salmon with miso and eggplant... so delicious! I had to keep slowing down so I could savor every bite! I would highly recommend and can't wait to go again!Special Features:
- casually perfect!1CvilleDinerDined on 8/26/2014Four of us easily got online same day dinner reservation. Warmly greeted, had good reasonable wine in lively bar. Small menu, BIG taste! Perfect scallops, miso salmon delicious; excellent beet/pear salad, amazing desserts. Each of us completely pleased. We opted for convenient valet parking, reasonable. Memorable evening, superb food, sensitive service. We'll go back to Michel Richard's Central.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/26/2014We love eating at Central. The food is always of the highest quality, and this visit was no exception. My onion soup was perfect, and my lobster burger delicious. My husband and our friend split the gorgeous Caesar salad and also the dessert: raspberry pistachio tart, which was a fitting end to their meaty entrees. My only complaint is the noise. We often take friends to Central, and conversation is quite difficult. Even when I request a quiet table, as I did this time, we end up shouting during dinner and hoarse afterwards. Next time, we'll try a 5pm dinner and hope that early diners get a quiet, sparse dining room. Otherwise, it's au revoir Central, bonjour a more soundproofed bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteshirazDined on 8/26/2014The yellow gazpacho and the ahi tuna burger are heavenly.Special Features:
- Always DeliciousEatwithmeDined on 8/22/2014Get the Celebration Cake for dessert. I always get the chicken which comes with a salad and potatoes so no need for a starter. We shared a Banana Split. Cheese Puffs are a must. Drink water and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CJNNDDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful service and glorious desserts! It was a treat to be able to watch the chefs work.Special Features:
- AwesomeReneeWDined on 8/22/2014Loved the food, had the lobster burger with a salad and the chocolate bar for dessert. Great location, wonderful atmosphere and the service was excellent!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth TryinglatenightsnackDined on 8/21/2014The food was good, although some items were too salty. The flavors of the food could have stood on their own without all the salt. The decor was appealing and staff nice. However, it is hard to have a conversation with a lunch companion when the restaurant is busy. You may want to go during off peak times if you want to have a conversation while you dine or if you are going for a special occasion.
- ChrisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Prompt service, cheerful server, food was excellent. Met a colleague for lunch and was able to have a conversation even though restaurant was busy. 2nd time I've been here, thoroughly enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Great place for anyone looking for 5-star level service and cuisine in a relaxed and lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch Out! Annetta Throws Trash.NIGHTMAREDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I went to Central Michel Richard for Restaurant Week 2014. The valet and hostess were great! It was early so we asked for a quiet table for 2 which was near the waiters'/servers' station. We both ordered French Onion Soup and Fried Chicken which were good but not "to die for." About half way into dinner, a wad of paper lands in my plate. I thought I was seeing things until Annetta, manager, said she'd thrown it. She kept sayingit was an accident as though it's ok to throw trash while people are eating. She finally agreed to bring a fresh meal but I told them to take it back. I was afraid it had been tampered with. Annetta hesitantly agreed to comp my dinner only. Central Michel Richard...NEVER AGAIN!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Very good overall. Excellent food quality & service. It's a bistro feel with busy Washington professionals so not quite a romantic spot. Lacks of ambience. Maybe some smooth jazz or chill out electronica could help with noise level. Highly recommended for a quick lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a BirthdayBigPopVIPDined on 8/19/2014Took my wife here for her birthday and we had a great meal. Since it was during the extension of Restaurant Week we were able to get 3-course meals for $36! What a deal!Special Features:
- DinnerStarsDined on 8/19/2014We went here for dinner before a concert at Verizon Center. The waiter was outstanding! Our food arrived quickly and was very good. We will come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchFoodieDined on 8/19/2014Met a friend for lunch after not having been to the restaurant for a while. Tried the lobster burger based on rave reviews I had seen. Regrettably, my expectations exceeded the product. Found the burger to be mediocre after reading all the hype. The binder was excessively creamy, but tasted dry. The salad was fresh with a citrusy dressing which balanced the heaviness of the burger. I convinced my lunch partner to order it too. Though she was polite about it, I could see she felt the same about the dish. Still, the service, as always, was exceptional. I've been here a few times and this is my first disappointment with the food. The restaurant is great overall and one lobster burger won't cancel all the great things this place has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service this visitTobyATLDined on 8/18/2014We visit Central often, and the food this time was as good as usual, but the service was not. The appetizer we ordered came after our salads, and only came then because we reminded the waiter we had ordered it. He did not return for my friend's drink order until we flagged him down from where he was chatting with another server by the kitchen. He did not tell me that my meal came with a salad when I ordered a salad separately. And he did not offer us coffee until after our dessert had been eaten. We will go back, hoping this was an aberration, but we are now skeptical.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week Pick!Rockette8Dined on 8/16/2014I'd been wanting to eat at this restaurant for a while, and figured restaurant week was a perfect time to check them out. We were seating promptly at a great table right by the open kitchen. I was really pleased by the meal: I chose the fried chicken since I'd seen other reviews raving about it. All the food came out by busboys; our waiter took our drink and food order and didn't come by once during the meal. I would have ordered another cocktail so that's her loss. The food made up for the poor service. Some restaurants dial down the size for the restaurant week menu, but I think CMR used it to show off what they do best. I'd definitely come back for the food, maybe service will improve on a regular night.Special Features:
- Loved Central Michel RichardOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/16/2014We had a Girls' Night Out & greatly enjoyed Central. The food was marvelous! From starters through dessert, we loved everything! Our server was fabulous as well. She recommended the perfect wines, was attentive enough, but not too much. All in all, a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- A lot of very good food!eddieVIPDined on 8/16/2014Restaurant WeeK - For a few $s more I had the soft shell crab for an appetizer. My date had the goat cheese Caesar which was missing the croutons but had the great taste of sardines. I had the fried chicken which was very good but too much after the soft shell. The Loup de Mer, also for a few $s more, was also too much but it made a very good dinner the next night. MICHEL’S Chocolate Bar was as usual fantastic but we should have shared one and taken the other one home. There is really THAT much to it. The choices of vino by the glass were good. The problems with the evening were the service in which the server took some time to find us for the initial order, and the Ambience which only gets a good because the AC was on COLD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.