Central Michel Richard
1001 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Central Michel Richard
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centralmichelrichard.com/
- Phone: 2026260015x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Friday:5:00-11:00pm - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: David Deshaies
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Join us at Central Michel Richard for your next business meeting or special occasion. Our Jean Louis room is available for lunch and dinner and features a floor to ceiling glass wall that allows your group to see all the action of our open kitchen. It is also equipped with exceptional meeting amenities including a flat screen television and an independent sound system with ipod/cd/dvd/pc capabilities. We look forward to hosting your event.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 2026260015x
- Special Events: Our Jean Louis private dining room accommodates up 16 people. It has exceptional amenities including a flat screen tv and a sound system with cd/dvd/ipod compatibility.
A word from Central Michel Richard
Michel Richard's modern American brasserie,and winner of the 2008 James Beard award for best new restaurant is located on Penn. Ave NW between the White House and the Capitol. We serve Michel's tribute to great American cuisine, both modern and classic, with a French accent. A vibrant bar scene with boutique beer and wines, and modern and classic cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Central Michel Richard reviews from OpenTable diners
482 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (302)special occasion (178)great for lunch (131)hot spot (118)notable wine list (106)neighborhood gem (97)vibrant bar scene (82)good for groups (76)great for outdoor dining (74)romantic (57)late-night find (25)great for brunch (24)kid-friendly (16)scenic view (8)Show More
- Simply Delicious!JaniceDined on 9/29/2014Had not been to Central in a few years and, as we did the last time, requested a table near the kitchen. It is a bit quieter there and fun to watch all of the dishes going out. Our wait person was fabulous, even taking time to get the meat loaf ingredients from the chef. The meat loaf was divine! I was hesitant to try it as my experience with restaurant meat loaf is a dense, dry slab of meat. This was so light, savory and delicious -- perfect comfort food. The roasted chicken, ditto -- it was as good as we remembered. And for dessert -- we shared that scrumptuous Michel's Chocolate Bar, formerly known as the Kit Kat. The perfect decadent dessert to top off a lovely dinner. Will definitely not wait so long to return!
- Let's Do Brunch!MichaelVIPDined on 9/28/2014Central -- which had previously been closed on Sundays -- is now offering a fixed price, Sunday brunch for $25. It's a three course menu, with a variety of choices from creme bruleed french toast to the classic eggs benedict. One always can expect quality in terms of food and service at Central...and that was certainly the case with our brunch. The atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable; the dishes proportioned nicely and with lightness that makes this meal a starting point for a relaxing or entertaining Sunday...rather than a prelude for the necessary nap that follows so many overdone brunches. A great way to begin one's Sunday!Special Features:
- a great brunch findvisitor2seattleVIPDined on 9/28/20143 courses - great choices - beautiful and delicious food - lovely experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/28/2014Wonderful Sunday morning brunch. This was only the 2nd time they offered it and I hope it stays. Fixed price menu only, but great options. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Quality ExperienceRChefDined on 9/27/2014We went to Central on the recommendation of a friend. Had some people that were adventurous, and others, more conservative. The place was perfect for both. Great comfort food, but with some more "foodie" options as well. We sat right next to the kitchen, which was fun, but added to the noise level. Would definitely recommend this place to a broad spectrum of people. One thing, it is fairly pricy.Special Features:
- Mostly goodHighlanderDined on 9/26/2014We arrived early and ordered from the prix fixe menu. Personally, I would prefer smaller portions when eating a 3-course meal, but it's a screaming deal for a hearty eater. Everything was fabulous except the mussels. They tasted fishy, were too chewy, and the bowl didn't allow good access to the juice for dipping bread. I ate very few, but had more than enough with the other courses. Also, we were assured of getting out of there in an hour, since we had other plans, but that didn't happen. No big deal for us that evening, but we specifically asked if the prix fixe would be fairly quick, and it was not. This was our second visit to Central. We'll be back, but will order a little differently next time.
- Too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/25/2014I received three calls and one email to confirm my reservation. Seemed excessive. And while we have been to Central before and very much enjoyed, all five of us felt the food was over salted. Not just a little too salty but so salty as to ruin good food.
- Best BetDisappointedVIPDined on 9/25/2014Over the years that I've frequented Central, I have never been disappointed in the food or service. Quality control is obviously a priority with this establishment, and it shows. Ask for Kirsten - she's the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/23/2014Too noisy and waiter was inattentive. Waitre never checked back to see if we needed anything, and it took a very long time to get the check.
- Gone down in qualityjazzfanDined on 9/22/2014I came back after a great experience two years ago, when the burger was amazing and the fries were real fries where you could taste the potatoes. This time, the burger was more a standard burger and the fries were rather ordinary. What happened? I also tried the fish tacos - the tortilla was too thick and got in the way of the other flavors. Disappointed.Special Features:
- Endless DrinksGGSMDined on 9/21/2014I would have rated outstanding but with the bunch menu, I think the endless drinks was just too pricey especially for my wife who doesn't drink alcohol. Perhaps $5.00 for Coffee and Juice, $10 for Coffee, Juice and one Bloody Mary/Mimosa/XX, and $15.00 for endless drinks. GSMSpecial Features:
- Nice, but priceydmeizDined on 9/20/2014The prices didn't surprise me for a restaurant in that area, but the food seemed pretty basic for what we paid.Special Features:
- deliciousdiningbyjerideliciousdiningbyjeriDined on 9/20/2014Although we had to wait 30 minutes for our reservation, when we were seated we were escorted to the private dining room off the kitchen! Our waiter was terrific and quite informative. He sold a few of my fellow diners on the lamb shank, however the chef ... Chef David... came in to apologize that they were all out of lamb shanks! However, what we did order was delicious...High on our list were the beet salad, the tuna and watermelon bites, the scallops and the mussels... We were brought outstanding melt in your mouth cheese puffs from the Chef for appetizers and in addition superior chocolate and raspberry macarons for dessert. They could not do enough to make our experience memorable and so, we will never forget our night at Central.Special Features:
- I love Central Michel RichardJenTVIPDined on 9/20/2014I love Central. Modern, Upscale, and the food is over the top. The mushroom risotto is like a savory dessert. The drinks are not standard. I would say the bartenders are mixologist. I always get great drinks. My favorite is the bourbon peach iced tea. So refreshing and light. I could eat the gougeres (cheese puffs) every day of the week. The fried chicken with mashed potatoes are good perfectly. The mashed potatoes are light and creamy. Try the green beans as well as the macaroni and cheese for sides. Rich, not boring. You can't got wrong with any of the desserts. The banana split is not ordinary. You will think about the sorbet for a long time. Will be back for brunch late September.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kitkatlovefood2Dined on 9/20/2014You must try Michel Richard's chocolate bar! It is outstanding, memorable, and worth returning for! The pork chops were juicy, tender, tasty, and delicious!Special Features:
- Great before theaterfoodfunDined on 9/19/2014They have a great prefix meal. The wine selection is good with a good value wine list.Special Features:
- Fabulous Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/19/2014The food was unbelievable! I'm still yearning over the gougere. They were small puffs of happiness. Our waiter (French) was professional and attentive. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- solid spotjustatethereDined on 9/18/2014A delightful restaurant with a creative yet simple menu. The ambiance was perfect for our dinner-- great lighting, good service, and not too much noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not CitronelleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/18/2014I was disappointed in the service and the food. Given the history of this foodie restaurant, it was disappointing to have an average experience.
- Double BD Night outCWCDDined on 9/13/2014Dined with the Misses and Son both of whom had BD's the week of the 7th of September. My request for a table that I really like was accommodated, we dined early and perhaps that helped. We tried the Fried Chicken for the first time and while clearly different that a Popeye's outing it was really quite good. Good wine list and wine service. Good night for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014The food and service are outstanding. Tables are a bit small and close together, typical for a downtown restaurant. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We're regulars, seasonally or more!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Some of the most delicious food I have ever enjoyed. A modern, comfortable setting with good service. Our friends, who are regulars, turned us on to the restaurant in its inaugural year. We've been regulars ever since.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great comfort food at a good priceBethesdaDadDined on 9/12/2014What a concept. Old favorites cooked especially well. I never would have thought I would order fried chicken at an upscale restaurant, but I did, and it was the best fried chicken I've ever eaten. No skin, just tender, moist meat (yes, even the white meat was moist and tender) with a crunchy crust and a sauce that complimented it perfectly. I also had the cheese puffs which were irresistible. The mussel soup was excellent. Service is friendly and professional. My waiter from two weeks ago recognized me. That's the kind of waitstaff they have. The only thing I didn't like was how noisy it was, probably because I went on a Friday.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/12/2014I'd eat here more often if it wasn't for the noise level.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceDktran31VIPDined on 9/12/2014Went here for dinner on a Friday night with a friend. The ambiance of the place is pretty cool. Romantic and classy. They have a huge wine selection (you have to ask for the wine list as it is not included on the menu.) We sat at a table right next to the open kitchen. It's neat to be able to see the chefs at work. The restaurant is fairly loud, you will need to get close to each other and speak pretty loudly to be audible. I give the food a B. We had the tuna carpaccio, scallops, lamb shank and banana split. The tuna was absolutely delicious. Scallops and lamb were both large and very well prepared but not that tasty. The banana split was flat out massive. Overall an above-average place that I would return to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThomDined on 9/11/2014Food was good but continually asking staff for more of our Birthday Champaghne and extra bread and items was annoying. Spending time getting staff attention took away from the experience. Dissappointing. Maynot returnSpecial Features:
- SuzieVIPDined on 9/11/2014This is a great location for pre theater dining. The food is good and service was terrific.Special Features:
- Great as always.NanaDined on 9/10/2014Server was knowledgeable and very helpful with decision making. Friendly, attentive service. Shared an excellent tuna carpaccio. Steak tartare was a hit with my husband. Very nice fries. Very much enjoyed the crispy scallops. English peas & carrot side was tasty but not anything outstanding. Overall. a great meal before a play at the nearby National Theater.Special Features:
- Great Meal Minus The HairJingleDined on 9/9/2014Overall, the food is excellent at Central Michel Richard. I enjoyed my appetizer of the Cheese Puffs and my Frisee salad as well. Excellent. Then came my main course - the infamous fried chicken - so moist, just very tasty....until a piece of hair showed up as I was cutting into the middle section of the fried chicken. The manager came over to apologize and replaced my meal with mussels and green beans, they did an excellent job with the damage control, but unfortunately, knowing the piece of hair was in my chicken (very likely during the preparation phase) just killed my confidence level in the food. Overall, I'd recommend this restaurant, excellent food, excellent service. I just have to ponder if I will return when I visit DC again.
- GeorgesthoughtsVIPDined on 9/6/2014Wonderful food, attentive wait staff. Restaurant was loud which is fine unless someone in your party is hearing impaired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level poor; food averageGNZmarchDined on 9/4/2014The place was far too noisy to be able to enjoy a meal with friends (and it was not even operating at full house). Very disappointing. Food was average. Service was excellent. Attentive waiter. One item of my meal tasted off and it was quickly replaced with a freshly cooked one, but overall the food was just so so. $54 for a single glass of wine, nondescript entree and coffee felt steep.Special Features:
- Pre-theater birthday celebrationOutgoingDined on 9/4/2014When making the reservation, we mentioned it was a birthday dinner. They seated us in a private alcove and put a candle on the dessert...without a reminder. Excellent, friendly service. Food extraordinary. Nice energetic vibe....especially in the bar.Special Features:
- Scored a table outside for dinnerVSKfoodieVIPDined on 9/3/2014My girlfriends and I had a nice dinner at Central this week. The two best parts of our experience were that we were able to sit outside and we ordered the celebration cake! The food was good, also (I had the scallops and I tasted my friend's lobster burger, which was very good-although the bun was pretty big). The celebration cake came with a sparkler on top--and it was delicious--cake, ice cream, and a chocolate cup to hold it all together. I would only say that the interior of the restaurant was not very inviting--and it was dark (even when the sun was still out), and the the chairs and tables reminded me of a cafeteria; the women's room could also use some updating. I wouldn't go back unless I could sit outside.Special Features:
- Girls Night OutBeatriceDined on 9/3/2014We were not disappointed by Central. The lobster burger is still decadent and the gougères delicious. Our waiter was very helpful in suggesting a new wine after we learned our first choice was not available. We had a great night. It helped we were there mid-week: the restaurant was not too busy and we were not rushed to accommodate other diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aspid777Dined on 9/3/2014Good food. Loved the chicken schnitzel. Not so much the fried chicken. The tempranillo was correct but awfully overpricedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014We try to eat at Central whenever we are in D.C. The hamburger is one of the best I've had, although whatever we get is excellent. The restaurant can get pretty noisy, so, if we can, we eat outside and people watch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner but no dessertlovefood2Dined on 8/30/2014We had a quick delicious chicken dinner at 6:30 pm before our National theater show at Central and asked the host if we can come back later for dessert. She said we could if we just got to the bar by 11 pm. We arrived at 10:45 pm and were told that the kitchen was closed and could not be served. We were so disappointed as we were looking forward to trying their desserts. I can't depend on what the hosts say in this restaurant. We walked over to the Hamilton instead for late night desserts as the theater recommended.Special Features:
- Paris on Pennsylvania AvenueMichaelVIPDined on 8/30/2014Michel Richard's Central still holds its own as DC's most delightful bistro. In one sense, it's a classic brasserie. But it's also captures Michel Richard's inventiveness and playfulness. And Chef David Deshaies' kitchen turns out exceptional food. A delightful restaurant all round. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great cookingMxeaterDined on 8/30/2014Splendid cooking. Flavours, textures and smells to fully enjoy.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodQueenBeechDined on 8/29/2014Had a great time with a last minute reservation. The drinks were great and the food never disappoints. It always seems silly to order the fried chicken but it is easily the best fried chicken I have ever had.Special Features: