Central Michel Richard
1001 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Central Michel Richard
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centralmichelrichard.com/
- Phone: (202) 626-0015
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Friday:5:00-11:00pm - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: David Deshaies
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Join us at Central Michel Richard for your next business meeting or special occasion. Our Jean Louis room is available for lunch and dinner and features a floor to ceiling glass wall that allows your group to see all the action of our open kitchen. It is also equipped with exceptional meeting amenities including a flat screen television and an independent sound system with ipod/cd/dvd/pc capabilities. We look forward to hosting your event.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 2026260015x
- Special Events: Our Jean Louis private dining room accommodates up 16 people. It has exceptional amenities including a flat screen tv and a sound system with cd/dvd/ipod compatibility.
A word from Central Michel Richard
Michel Richard's modern American brasserie,and winner of the 2008 James Beard award for best new restaurant is located on Penn. Ave NW between the White House and the Capitol. We serve Michel's tribute to great American cuisine, both modern and classic, with a French accent. A vibrant bar scene with boutique beer and wines, and modern and classic cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Central Michel Richard - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Central Michel Richard reviews from OpenTable diners
487 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (310)special occasion (157)hot spot (135)great for lunch (118)good for groups (94)notable wine list (83)vibrant bar scene (81)neighborhood gem (79)great for outdoor dining (51)romantic (45)great for brunch (35)late-night find (19)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (6)Show More
- A Little Disappointed....georgetownDined on 11/20/2014I had high expectations for this restaurant due to the name and price point. I had expected nice tables with white linens like at other similarly tiered restaurants with a quiet atmosphere. Instead the tables were Formica, no table clothes, and paper menus, mine was ripped almost in half, and quite used. The bar scene was very vibrant and a bit loud, so good for that I suppose, but not as much for a quiet dining experience. The wait staff was fantastic though, friendly, prompt, all that good stuff. I ordered the salmon and it was served with an item I was allergic to so I asked it to be served without it. The server said I could pick a side instead, which I was happy with until I saw the check and the additional fee. Overall, I'd rather go to a neighborhood restaurant where the dishes are just as good, with a quieter atmosphere, nicer tables, and a lower price point.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014While the food was tasty and well presented I definitely didn't think it was value. We were seated at a table in the middle of the floor which didn't help with the ambience. Ingredients were missing from the drinks menu and dishes were unavailable from the main course menu. The waitress looked like she was sucking a lemon, no smile at all! We don't like that. However the place was apparently busier than normal.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Went there when I was in DC for SFN conference. The meal was fantastic from start to finish. Hope to get back there again before the conference endsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth the price of admissiondertyjersDined on 11/15/2014for starters, as my wife was being seated, a piece of moulding came off the wall and fell on the table, which was completely off-kilter. figured it was just this one that required a coaster, but upon sitting at the new table, the same issue arose. the real issue was the service. my wife whittled her entree down to two options and asked the server for his recommendation. after accepting his suggestion, he then proceeded to put in the order for the other, unwanted entree. after seeing our chagrin, he came over to the table. she was gracious and said it was not a problem. sure, he offered to get her the other, but afterwards never offered anything complimentary. and we were seated at 5pm, so it wasn't as if this was in the heat of the dinner rush. the coup de grace, not only did he still charge us for the wrong entree, but he charged us double for the beet salad that we 'shared'. when initially ordering, he did discuss the difference between 'splitting' and 'sharing', thought we had conveyed we would be sharing a single order. apparently got lost in translation. aside from that- i expected more from a 'james beard award winner'.
- DC Hot SpotFoodyDined on 11/14/2014Great food, and a "hip" atmosphere. Beware, the deserts are HUGE - enough for 2 or 3 people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceNocoDined on 11/14/2014Celebrating two birthdays we wanted a new restaurant to try. What a wonderful experience we had at Central. The atmosphere is classy but not stuffy. The wait staff was on point but never intrusive. Fabulous wine list for the experienced or novice. The highlight was the food. We ordered the Thai chicken soup and Salmon appetizers and couldn't decide which one was more delicious. We had the lamb shank, meatloaf, scallops and a side of mac and cheese for entrees, Each dish was unique and delicious and a perfect portion size, well the lamb shank was massive but that was ok with us! Will absolutely dine there again and highly recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DCDinerVIPDined on 11/14/2014Great service. Delicious food. The chicken is an absolute must-try. The cheese puffs are also fantastic. My favorite dessert was the molten chocolate lava cake. It's recently been removed from the menu. Hopefully management reconsiders!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant.FoodieDined on 11/14/2014I cannot say enough good things about Central. The food was fabulous. (I had salmon that was amazing.) The service was friendly and efficient. I took friends from out of town here and they loved it too! This was my first time here, but I will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, questionable serviceAndreaVIPDined on 11/11/2014The service nearly ruined the food experience. We waited more than 45 minutes after ordering to receive our food, despite the fact that others who had arrived after us were eating (or had already left)! After asked our server three times, she finally delivered the food and blamed the kitchen for the mixup. She ultimately offered a free dessert, but the poor service put a real damper on the lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Excellent brunch options. A bit too much noise though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BrunchKeithVIPDined on 11/9/2014We thought we were going to have an early Sunday afternoon lunch at Central, but it turns out they have a prix fixe brunch on Sundays. I was disappointed at first, but we really enjoyed the brunch. For $25, you get 3 courses and everything our group of three had was excellent. We also opted for the bottomless Bellinis for an extra $10. Mimosas, Bloody Marys, coffee and tea were also available. We've enjoyed dinner here before and I was glad to find out that a great brunch was also available.Special Features:
- No better brunch value in DC.Jim65VIPDined on 11/9/2014Unbelievable fried chicken, creative desserts, etc.Special Features:
- cmbakerDined on 11/9/2014The restaurant was very accommodating to our change in the reservation number but the service wasn't great. I also had this same experience when I was there on a Friday night for dinner so maybe they are a bit understaffed during busy time. The staff was very friendly but it took a long time between courses, getting drinks refilled, getting the check, etc. I also didn't think the food at brunch was as good as when I was there for dinner which was a bit disappointing. Overall I had a fun time with my friends and would definitely give it another try.Special Features:
- Amazing as Always!AmyfromBocaVIPDined on 11/8/2014Central Michel Richard is always my "go to" restaurant when I am in DC. It is consistently amazing. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- OOPS!louisDined on 11/8/2014I made what I thought was a reservation for Sunday, Nov 9. But I mistakenly made the reservation for the following Sunday. So,the "maitre d" put us in the bar area, even though I had a can and was evidently disabled. The waitress was nice, but the management was clueless. All the check-in girls just wandered around or spent their time chatting.No one came to our table to inquire how we were. To say the least, I expected much more for Central. The food was only ok. Our choice was for a three course pre-theater dinner, We had fried chicken on mashed potatoes and frisee salad. My guest had a garlic allergy. So compensate, our server suggested that they would substitute for the garlic potatoes with more salad!Special Features:
- Pretty disappointedjkjjpcVIPDined on 11/8/2014First visit last night for a pre-theater dinner. We were not impressed given its #8 ranking in Washingtonian. The tables are very close together and the noise level is very high, making it hard to have a conversation. We had the "faux" grass and goat cheese Caesar for appetizer. Both were good, not great. Our entrees were the miso grilled salmon and the crispy scallops with ginger. The salmon was very good but the scallops were pretty unimpressive. $30 for 4 scallops and some steamed vegetables was pretty steep. The scallops were well cooked, but the dish just did not have much to make it special. For dessert we had the chocolate bar, which is essentially chocolate mousse with some crispy toppings and a chocolate sauce. No repeat.
- Very happy Anniversary dinnerJammieDined on 11/7/2014Inviting restaurant with good service that offered a nice collection of wines and dishes. The only slightly negative comment is that we were placed in the center of the restaurant, which was bustling with activity.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/7/2014Got a recommendation from a co-worker. It exceeded my expectations, great service, excellent food. Going back soon.Special Features:
- MRoseDined on 11/7/2014good menus, lots of choices -- all looked good. I had the corned beef sandwich and it came with thick slices of meat, not just thin shaves of corned beef. Came at the height of the lunch crowd and it was too noisy to have a conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was all right but priceyLooking4QualityDined on 11/6/2014From start to finish, this was an okay dining experience at an above-average price. I made a reservation ahead of time for 8:15 PM but the table wasn't available until 8:45 PM, so we were directed to the bar. I had a beer but my friends had cocktails in small glasses with lots of ice. When we sat down, the waitress didn't make much effort to engage and didn't have anything in particular to recommend to us. Something about the furniture and lighting of the place felt cheap--everything had the same yellow glow that compact fluorescent lightbulbs generate. The food was pretty good but not worth the price. I don't think I'd return here or recommend it, given the number of other very good options within a mile of Central.
- Noise, Noise, Noise.alexeaterVIPDined on 11/5/2014Love the food here, but it is hard to enjoy on a busy night. The noise level is so far beyond "energetic" that it is impossible to have a conversation. I have not visited for lunch in a while, but may switch to that. Dinner is out, unless you are alone or do not want to talk with your dinner companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss this treatKpaxDined on 11/4/2014Although this restaurant has been around for many years, it hasn't lost its edge. As buzzy and busy as the first year it opened, the restaurant doesn't disappoint. The two of us shared everything and it all was delicious. From the addictive gougeres that melt in your mouth, to the oysters and then frisee salad, to the ridiculously good fried chicken, all was amazing. Go to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heard this was THE place for lunchGoodieDined on 11/4/2014a great great recommendation! The roasted beet salad and the Brussels sprouts were the best that I have ever tasted. Cudos to the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchbarbloutDined on 11/2/2014They do few things but do them well for brunch. I had the French Toast Crème Brule. Very good.Special Features:
- Brunch was delicious!DCgirlVIPDined on 11/2/2014So reasonable a cost for such a fun brunch - bottomless drinks and a basic $25 3 course menu - with wonderful selections in each group! Totally enjoyed our brunch with friends, delicious chicken and waffles, and a friend said the mushroom panini was very very good! Will try again soon!Special Features:
- Good quality, extra effortpauliVIPDined on 11/1/2014Unfortunately, Central did not have a table to give us for our 9:30pm reservation until 10pm. After that the service was excellent as was the food, in particular the classic frisée salad and the salmon burger, finely chopped and served very rare, as ordered. When we got the check, we realized that the extremely nice hostess who had had to keep us waiting at the start had not charged us for the bottle of wine we had ordered.Special Features:
- Outstanding food! Get the chicken!PleasedVIPDined on 10/31/2014One of the best restaurants in DC! Great wine list too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WatergateguyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/31/2014Weve been here many times and they never fail to delightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but Hard to ConverseLooking4NewVIPDined on 10/30/2014Everything is great about this restaurant but if you want to carry on conversation it is a bit hard -- very noisy and the place is always packed, which shows you how good it is. I will defiinitely keep going back but keep in mind the noise level. Serious business lunches wouldn't work, in my opinion.Special Features:
- Absolutely perfectlocalfooideVIPDined on 10/30/2014After a long week with my peers from the UK, we stopped at Central for dinner before they left for the airport. While I could have talked up the wonderful wine list, or the great fried chicken, or the outstanding mussels, I spoke only about the chocolate bar. And it didn't disappoint. Never have I heard four people, in unison, murmur "yummmmmmmmmmmm" A great pre-flight dinner indeed!Special Features:
- wonderful experienceluv1yhbbDined on 10/29/2014Had a great dining experience. Food was wonderful; save room for marvelous dessert. Service was just the right amount of attention by friendly and knowledgeable wait staff.Special Features:
- Always SolidProntomacVIPDined on 10/29/2014We had dinner at the bar with Nikki their excellent bartender. Lobster burger and Steak Onglet were both very good, as were the accompanying french fries..among the best in DC. We like CENTRAL very much, but hope Michel will also once again have a DC restaurant that was like Citronelle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/29/2014Loved the cheese puffs! Hanger steak was excellent and the special of the night was the pork chop... fantastic!Special Features:
- Delicious and Classiccpf218VIPDined on 10/28/2014Celebrated my third wedding anniversary here with my husband. We've lived close by for many years but never made the trek down to Pennsylvania Ave at night. We're sure glad we finally did! The charcuterie is fantastic and generous - a great way to start your meal. My husband had the fried chicken and I had the loup de mer. Who would have paired mushrooms with sea bass? Never would have thought it would work but it was amazing! The frites are outstanding - probably the best we've had in D.C. and worth a trip back! For dessert we had the chocolate bar and chocolate mousse. Next time I make chocolate mousse, someone PLEASE remind me to put raspberry sauce in the bottom of the dish. Marvelous!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to likeKathBonVIPDined on 10/26/2014I arranged brunch for 8, and had high hopes for the food and ambience. First thing I noticed was the noise level -- the music was loud, and therefore so was the level one needed to speak to be heard. The drinks were good, and the service very prompt (as was filling the "bottomless drinks"). I had the soup and eggs benedict, both good, but my dining companions were disappointed -- their advice? Do not order the steak and eggs, and the chicken + waffle was pretty lackluster too.
- Perfect after a visit to the Mall.MidtownJimmiDined on 10/26/2014One block from the Natural History Museum. We went the last day in DC between our morning and afternoon museum visits. Food and service was wonderful!Special Features:
- Always a favoritejaimej813Dined on 10/26/2014A couple of girlfriends and I wanted to check out your new brunch menu so we made a reservation for this past Sunday. One of the girls wanted to bring her little dog so we requested to sit outside. Staff was incredibly accommodating and everyone loved the little pooch! Our service was fantastic. And as ALWAYS, food was spot on. The lemon dessert was delicious and so creative. The bottomless mimosas for $10 is the biggest steal in the city. We were very pleased and will return soon.Special Features:
- Great foodapfood07Dined on 10/25/2014Food was simple yet absolutely amazing, I would go back just for their chocolate bar dessert. This restaurant is expensive though. It's not an intimate restaurant, more fit for groups. The waiter was not too nice.Special Features:
- DeliciousSharDined on 10/25/2014This may be one of the best restaurants I've been introduced to. The hostess and staff were excellent. My reservations were set for 5:30, but because not everyone was there yet, they kindly extended it to 6:15. I thought that was great customer serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as good as people say it isSfusseyDined on 10/25/2014Was recommended to go here from people who visited the week before, so glad I went! The steak au poivre was excellent and so was the pate board. Wonderful very prompt pleasant and quick service. It's not the cheapest but it is the best. Something for everyone vegetarians included.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.