Central Michel Richard
1001 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Central Michel Richard
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centralmichelrichard.com/
- Phone: 2026260015x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Friday:5:00-11:00pm - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: David Deshaies
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Join us at Central Michel Richard for your next business meeting or special occasion. Our Jean Louis room is available for lunch and dinner and features a floor to ceiling glass wall that allows your group to see all the action of our open kitchen. It is also equipped with exceptional meeting amenities including a flat screen television and an independent sound system with ipod/cd/dvd/pc capabilities. We look forward to hosting your event.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 2026260015x
- Special Events: Our Jean Louis private dining room accommodates up 16 people. It has exceptional amenities including a flat screen tv and a sound system with cd/dvd/ipod compatibility.
A word from Central Michel Richard
Michel Richard's modern American brasserie,and winner of the 2008 James Beard award for best new restaurant is located on Penn. Ave NW between the White House and the Capitol. We serve Michel's tribute to great American cuisine, both modern and classic, with a French accent. A vibrant bar scene with boutique beer and wines, and modern and classic cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Central Michel Richard reviews from OpenTable diners
479 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (299)special occasion (166)great for lunch (128)hot spot (124)neighborhood gem (94)notable wine list (93)good for groups (89)vibrant bar scene (81)great for outdoor dining (68)romantic (51)great for brunch (29)late-night find (21)kid-friendly (13)scenic view (8)Show More
- Always SolidProntomacVIPDined on 10/29/2014We had dinner at the bar with Nikki their excellent bartender. Lobster burger and Steak Onglet were both very good, as were the accompanying french fries..among the best in DC. We like CENTRAL very much, but hope Michel will also once again have a DC restaurant that was like Citronelle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/29/2014Loved the cheese puffs! Hanger steak was excellent and the special of the night was the pork chop... fantastic!Special Features:
- Delicious and Classiccpf218VIPDined on 10/28/2014Celebrated my third wedding anniversary here with my husband. We've lived close by for many years but never made the trek down to Pennsylvania Ave at night. We're sure glad we finally did! The charcuterie is fantastic and generous - a great way to start your meal. My husband had the fried chicken and I had the loup de mer. Who would have paired mushrooms with sea bass? Never would have thought it would work but it was amazing! The frites are outstanding - probably the best we've had in D.C. and worth a trip back! For dessert we had the chocolate bar and chocolate mousse. Next time I make chocolate mousse, someone PLEASE remind me to put raspberry sauce in the bottom of the dish. Marvelous!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to likeKathBonVIPDined on 10/26/2014I arranged brunch for 8, and had high hopes for the food and ambience. First thing I noticed was the noise level -- the music was loud, and therefore so was the level one needed to speak to be heard. The drinks were good, and the service very prompt (as was filling the "bottomless drinks"). I had the soup and eggs benedict, both good, but my dining companions were disappointed -- their advice? Do not order the steak and eggs, and the chicken + waffle was pretty lackluster too.
- Perfect after a visit to the Mall.MidtownJimmiDined on 10/26/2014One block from the Natural History Museum. We went the last day in DC between our morning and afternoon museum visits. Food and service was wonderful!Special Features:
- Always a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014A couple of girlfriends and I wanted to check out your new brunch menu so we made a reservation for this past Sunday. One of the girls wanted to bring her little dog so we requested to sit outside. Staff was incredibly accommodating and everyone loved the little pooch! Our service was fantastic. And as ALWAYS, food was spot on. The lemon dessert was delicious and so creative. The bottomless mimosas for $10 is the biggest steal in the city. We were very pleased and will return soon.Special Features:
- Great foodapfood07Dined on 10/25/2014Food was simple yet absolutely amazing, I would go back just for their chocolate bar dessert. This restaurant is expensive though. It's not an intimate restaurant, more fit for groups. The waiter was not too nice.Special Features:
- DeliciousSharDined on 10/25/2014This may be one of the best restaurants I've been introduced to. The hostess and staff were excellent. My reservations were set for 5:30, but because not everyone was there yet, they kindly extended it to 6:15. I thought that was great customer serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as good as people say it isSfusseyDined on 10/25/2014Was recommended to go here from people who visited the week before, so glad I went! The steak au poivre was excellent and so was the pate board. Wonderful very prompt pleasant and quick service. It's not the cheapest but it is the best. Something for everyone vegetarians included.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save your time and your moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014There is a reason as to why this over priced establishment has no Michellin stars. It's very foundation is a contradiction. How can a restaurant have items priced as high as $40 and its menu is printed out on folded paper. I as a New York native, I am used to paying a hefty price for gastronomic adventures, but this was absolutely horrible. I ordered the ribeye steak (medium)....they brought me a limp piece of meat cooked medium well. It was my anniversary which I put in the notes, no one even mentioned it throughout the meal. The server was stowic and appeared to be as disenchanted as we were with the place. No one came by to clean our table before presenting the check or dessert. Lastly, they moved our table while we were still eating.
- The Flavors Were Brought OutOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014Each of our appetizers and entrees had special flavors: the Faux Gras had the sharpness or real foie gras, the red beat salad was tangy, the jambalaya had the right amount of spice and the grilled sea bass (loup de mer) was grilled so well that I could eat the whole thing, except the tail. I would have expected these excellent flavors for the price -- but it was a special event and the experience was very memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much good stuffJimrVIPDined on 10/24/2014We ate here for the first time before going to a concert nearby. We opted for the three course pre-theater menu and had the fried chicken. With the appetizer and dessert there was entirely too much food, but everything we ate was delicious. Michel's chocolate bar is one of the best chocolate desserts of all timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like big musselsstuffedDined on 10/24/2014the are a nice size, take the BREAD and dunk it in the garlic sauce....amazing!!Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014Excellent restaurant in all regards. This place was suggested by our son who had lived in DC and was familiar with many places. Our appetizer and entrees were absolutely first class and the service was efficient and friendly. My wife is a great cook and we are harsh critics of most places, but Central takes simple menu items and makes them very special. We will go back on our next trip to DC.Special Features:
- Overall as good as usual, but noisy and a bit slowScottVIPDined on 10/22/2014Food was very good as were the drinks and wine. The place tends to be very, very noisy to the point where the waiter has a hard time hearing the orders and discussing the menu. We were seated immediately. Water serve immediately, drink service very slow and food order service slow as well. Once ordered, things moved along well.Special Features:
- Ruined my birthday surprise!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/22/2014I was away on business travel and my boyfriend had coordinated flowers to be delivered at my birthday dinner. Flowers were delivered in AM, he confirmed and called to ensure they were there. He also called 10 min before I arrived and the restaurant confirmed, "it's all set!" Well, I never got flowers and learned afterwards about the botched surprise. He called the restaurant that night, shortly after I'd left. The manager told him they realized the mistake and decided to give the flowers to someone else! No apology, no compensation, no flowers... Our table was ready when we got there, when he called to confirm, they could have easily put the flowers on the table. This service failure made all good things obsolete.
- Good lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Had the goat cheese caesar salad and the fish tacos - both very tasty and creatively presented. Would definitely eat there again. A bit pricey but worth a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodJEB1VIPDined on 10/20/2014The food was so good that it makes up for marginal service help - both seating and waiter hovering to take order too much. Will go back again as soon as an occasion arises..Special Features:
- Not what it used to beEmilyVIPDined on 10/20/2014Central Michel Richard is not the hot spot with luxurious food that it used to be. The restaurant was really dark with the only light being the occasional "celebration cake" sparkler filling the air. The lobster burger, which years ago was delectable and buttery and perfection, was ok. It was topped with a weird stewed tomato which gave the seafood a metallic taste - things got better once I removed it. But the flavor was lacking. The fries were a little soggy (fryer needs new cleaner oil). The service was ok. We had someone who couldn't eat gluten and while I appreciate that Central doesn't list every ingredient on the menu, our server did not make it easy or even try to anticipate our needs once we alerted him.
- DrewDined on 10/20/2014I will definitely go back there -- especially with a special friend or family member who enjoys interesting, incredibly well prepared food. I'll ask for a particular spot, however, as the restaurant is very noisy. The wait staff was a little quirky, but attentive. In sum, it was a very positive experience -- completely different from my first experience 10 years ago!Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014The food was amazing! the service was awesome and everything else was above and beyond!! Everyone needs to try this restauantSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Seated 25 minutes after reservation. Food good, server a little to busy.
- Expected moreAngieDined on 10/18/2014First a drink at the bar.Requested mocktail(pregnant)+bartender creativity, she pointed me to non-alcohol menu.You'd think they could make a mocktail Seated dinner,slow waiter.Gave menus and said he'd be back for Qs.Waited.Came back,recommended app,said he'd be back for dinner Qs.Long wait.Came back,took Qs,took order.App came out,but mins later so did meals.Couldn't enjoy app Loong wait.Came back,asked about dessert.Watched couple next to us(seated after)hv table cleared,dessert menu,waiter explain menu,order dessert...we waited Finally ordered banana split.Couple next to us received dessert within 5min,ate,paid,left.we waited.Tried to cancel dessert. Waiting ruined experience.Charged for split.Only consolation-chef gave us 6 macaroons
- Sub-par serviceArlingtonguyDined on 10/18/2014The service unfortunately was sub-par. Our server never asked if I wanted another drink when I finished mine and had it taken away, and then was inexplicably replaced by another server. When I asked the new server for another drink, he said sure -- but then never brought it. I finally grabbed a passing staff member, who took a long time to respond. She finally brought the drink, a beer, in the middle of dessert.Special Features:
- Anniversary Gift DinnerLeesburgiteVIPDined on 10/18/2014Following matinee at the Kennedy Center, so we were part of the early arrivals for dinner. It filled up substantially as we enjoyed appetizers, drinks, dinner, and then a delicious dessert with coffee. The menu has changed some since I took my husband there for his Birthday in May. Missed the Chicken Schnitzel, although had planned on trying something else anyhow. The service was great and the food delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- blockbusterDined on 10/17/2014It was a memorable evening - great food and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine restaurantaferrerDined on 10/17/2014It is a basic and straightforward menu that keeps the chef limited in what he can do but nonetheless the food is great. I was expecting more french influences in sauces but the style is more American. Still a nice place for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but subpar serviceMelonHillDined on 10/17/2014Took my spouse out for a celebratory lunch however we both left feeling our service was inattentive and all around subpar. Despite noting in our reservation that this was a special occasion we were sat in the middle of the restaurant in a particularly loud and bustling section of the main dining room. There were several mistakes/problems during our meal. While the food was very well prepared, overall we were disappointed with our dining experience.Special Features:
- DisappointedMikeDined on 10/16/2014. Had not been to restaurant for a few years. Disappointed about quality of food. Foodvery salty and inedible. Service was great and attentiveSpecial Features:
- DC DeliciousDallasfanoffoodDined on 10/16/2014We are in DC to celebrate my son's 15th birthday. Dinner was so great the first night that we came back the second night! Service was fantastic - my son has special diet needs that were accommodated without any fuss or objection. Mussels are divine, the cheese puffs are light and right out of the oven, and the know how to make French Fries! Salads are very creative but slightly overdressed so ask them to go light. The Napoleon dessert comes with a sparkler and must be on your list! The chef came out and greeted us the second night without any prompting and offered to buy us dessert. They know how to value customers. Right in Penn Ave at 10th. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the fried chickenDCDinerVIPDined on 10/16/2014Great food all around. You won't find better fried chicken in Washington than this.Special Features:
- Tasty but noisyBarbDined on 10/15/2014The restaurant is one of the best choices for a tasty lunch near the Constitution Ave side of the Mall museums, but we found it way too noisy. Although busy, the service was good. The cheese puffs were as good as other diners reported. I found my fish, in the fish and chips dish, to be only average; the chips were quite good. The lemon chicken schnitzel was well executed but nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itdineandwineDined on 10/12/2014Great spot for Sunday brunch. The service and meal was amazing. I enjoyed the creme brûlée frech toast and eggs Benedict followed by chocolate mousse and washed it all down with several bellinis. I never eat so gluttonous for breakfast but it felt so good to enjoy all the sinful calories. I'm still paying for it at the gym. Brunch for two ran us a total of $77 excluding tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food nice place, Weak servicenickmDined on 10/11/2014The food was great and the ambiance was nice if you're looking for a vibrant evening. That being said, our waiter was over tasked, and forgot many things from the table. Bus service was worse, as just dropped our entrees off even before we were done with our soup (and didn't take the soup), and then completely neglected to take our entrees when we were finished with them.
- DeliciousnessLadyRedSoxFanDined on 10/10/2014Every single bite of my dinner was wonderful, from the warm bread and butter to the fantastic Chocolate Bar. French Onion Soup was savory with perfect gooey cheese. Michel's Fried Chicken was the best I've ever had. My daughter ordered the Vegetable Pearl Risotto, not expecting much, but it was truly perfect. Creamy, full of flavor and a textbook example of what risotto should be. The Chocolate Bar was ecstasy on a plate. All the elements that make a good dinner great were met. Delicious food, beautiful plating, and attentive service. I wasn't sure if I wanted a certain wine, so our server brought me a sample to see if I liked it. Best meal of the trip.Special Features:
- Overpromised, underdelivered.EnygmaDined on 10/10/2014Reviews painted a picture of fine dining experience but felt more like a fast food experience. Not just the menu, which was excessively homespun, the rapidity of service was actually a detractor. Entrees were served before the bread basket could even be opened.
- Food to Die ForSuzyCVIPDined on 10/9/2014We love going to Central Michel Richard! The waiters are always cordial and experienced. The food is to die for! Will definitely be back for more.Special Features:
- Nice place to celebratearabrabDined on 10/8/2014When checking in, noticed the noise level was too "energetic", were seated outside. We had a good birthday celebration under the attentive eyes of our waiter. Very good wine list, smaller food choice. Overall a good evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableRay2youDined on 10/7/2014Central is a good choice for this area. The food is prepared and presented well, service is usually top-notch, and but for the acoustics which make reasonable conversation difficult, a very good dining choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great as usual!!JimSDined on 10/6/2014great service and food, hard to beat for the priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.