Central Michel Richard
1001 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Central Michel Richard
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centralmichelrichard.com/
- Phone: 2026260015
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Friday:5:00-11:00pm - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday -CLOSED
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Jason Maddens
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Join us at Central Michel Richard for your next business meeting or special occasion. Our Jean Louis room is available for lunch and dinner and features a floor to ceiling glass wall that allows your group to see all the action of our open kitchen. It is also equipped with exceptional meeting amenities including a flat screen television and an independent sound system with ipod/cd/dvd/pc capabilities. We look forward to hosting your event.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 2026260015
- Special Events: Our Jean Louis private dining room accommodates up 16 people. It has exceptional amenities including a flat screen tv and a sound system with cd/dvd/ipod compatibility.
A word from Central Michel Richard
Michel Richard's modern American brasserie,and winner of the 2008 James Beard award for best new restaurant is located on Penn. Ave NW between the White House and the Capitol. We serve Michel's tribute to great American cuisine, both modern and classic, with a French accent. A vibrant bar scene with boutique beer and wines, and modern and classic cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Central Michel Richard - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Central Michel Richard reviews from OpenTable diners
487 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (294)special occasion (186)great for lunch (131)hot spot (108)notable wine list (107)neighborhood gem (90)vibrant bar scene (85)good for groups (71)great for outdoor dining (69)romantic (53)great for brunch (26)late-night find (23)kid-friendly (16)scenic view (9)Show More
- casually perfect!1CvilleDinerDined on 8/26/2014Four of us easily got online same day dinner reservation. Warmly greeted, had good reasonable wine in lively bar. Small menu, BIG taste! Perfect scallops, miso salmon delicious; excellent beet/pear salad, amazing desserts. Each of us completely pleased. We opted for convenient valet parking, reasonable. Memorable evening, superb food, sensitive service. We'll go back to Michel Richard's Central.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/26/2014We love eating at Central. The food is always of the highest quality, and this visit was no exception. My onion soup was perfect, and my lobster burger delicious. My husband and our friend split the gorgeous Caesar salad and also the dessert: raspberry pistachio tart, which was a fitting end to their meaty entrees. My only complaint is the noise. We often take friends to Central, and conversation is quite difficult. Even when I request a quiet table, as I did this time, we end up shouting during dinner and hoarse afterwards. Next time, we'll try a 5pm dinner and hope that early diners get a quiet, sparse dining room. Otherwise, it's au revoir Central, bonjour a more soundproofed bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteshirazDined on 8/26/2014The yellow gazpacho and the ahi tuna burger are heavenly.Special Features:
- Always DeliciousEatwithmeDined on 8/22/2014Get the Celebration Cake for dessert. I always get the chicken which comes with a salad and potatoes so no need for a starter. We shared a Banana Split. Cheese Puffs are a must. Drink water and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CJNNDDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful service and glorious desserts! It was a treat to be able to watch the chefs work.Special Features:
- AwesomeReneeWDined on 8/22/2014Loved the food, had the lobster burger with a salad and the chocolate bar for dessert. Great location, wonderful atmosphere and the service was excellent!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth TryinglatenightsnackDined on 8/21/2014The food was good, although some items were too salty. The flavors of the food could have stood on their own without all the salt. The decor was appealing and staff nice. However, it is hard to have a conversation with a lunch companion when the restaurant is busy. You may want to go during off peak times if you want to have a conversation while you dine or if you are going for a special occasion.
- ChrisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Prompt service, cheerful server, food was excellent. Met a colleague for lunch and was able to have a conversation even though restaurant was busy. 2nd time I've been here, thoroughly enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Great place for anyone looking for 5-star level service and cuisine in a relaxed and lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch Out! Annetta Throws Trash.NIGHTMAREDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I went to Central Michel Richard for Restaurant Week 2014. The valet and hostess were great! It was early so we asked for a quiet table for 2 which was near the waiters'/servers' station. We both ordered French Onion Soup and Fried Chicken which were good but not "to die for." About half way into dinner, a wad of paper lands in my plate. I thought I was seeing things until Annetta, manager, said she'd thrown it. She kept sayingit was an accident as though it's ok to throw trash while people are eating. She finally agreed to bring a fresh meal but I told them to take it back. I was afraid it had been tampered with. Annetta hesitantly agreed to comp my dinner only. Central Michel Richard...NEVER AGAIN!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Very good overall. Excellent food quality & service. It's a bistro feel with busy Washington professionals so not quite a romantic spot. Lacks of ambience. Maybe some smooth jazz or chill out electronica could help with noise level. Highly recommended for a quick lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a BirthdayBigPopVIPDined on 8/19/2014Took my wife here for her birthday and we had a great meal. Since it was during the extension of Restaurant Week we were able to get 3-course meals for $36! What a deal!Special Features:
- DinnerStarsDined on 8/19/2014We went here for dinner before a concert at Verizon Center. The waiter was outstanding! Our food arrived quickly and was very good. We will come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchFoodieDined on 8/19/2014Met a friend for lunch after not having been to the restaurant for a while. Tried the lobster burger based on rave reviews I had seen. Regrettably, my expectations exceeded the product. Found the burger to be mediocre after reading all the hype. The binder was excessively creamy, but tasted dry. The salad was fresh with a citrusy dressing which balanced the heaviness of the burger. I convinced my lunch partner to order it too. Though she was polite about it, I could see she felt the same about the dish. Still, the service, as always, was exceptional. I've been here a few times and this is my first disappointment with the food. The restaurant is great overall and one lobster burger won't cancel all the great things this place has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service this visitTobyATLDined on 8/18/2014We visit Central often, and the food this time was as good as usual, but the service was not. The appetizer we ordered came after our salads, and only came then because we reminded the waiter we had ordered it. He did not return for my friend's drink order until we flagged him down from where he was chatting with another server by the kitchen. He did not tell me that my meal came with a salad when I ordered a salad separately. And he did not offer us coffee until after our dessert had been eaten. We will go back, hoping this was an aberration, but we are now skeptical.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week Pick!Rockette8Dined on 8/16/2014I'd been wanting to eat at this restaurant for a while, and figured restaurant week was a perfect time to check them out. We were seating promptly at a great table right by the open kitchen. I was really pleased by the meal: I chose the fried chicken since I'd seen other reviews raving about it. All the food came out by busboys; our waiter took our drink and food order and didn't come by once during the meal. I would have ordered another cocktail so that's her loss. The food made up for the poor service. Some restaurants dial down the size for the restaurant week menu, but I think CMR used it to show off what they do best. I'd definitely come back for the food, maybe service will improve on a regular night.Special Features:
- Loved Central Michel RichardOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/16/2014We had a Girls' Night Out & greatly enjoyed Central. The food was marvelous! From starters through dessert, we loved everything! Our server was fabulous as well. She recommended the perfect wines, was attentive enough, but not too much. All in all, a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- A lot of very good food!eddieVIPDined on 8/16/2014Restaurant WeeK - For a few $s more I had the soft shell crab for an appetizer. My date had the goat cheese Caesar which was missing the croutons but had the great taste of sardines. I had the fried chicken which was very good but too much after the soft shell. The Loup de Mer, also for a few $s more, was also too much but it made a very good dinner the next night. MICHEL’S Chocolate Bar was as usual fantastic but we should have shared one and taken the other one home. There is really THAT much to it. The choices of vino by the glass were good. The problems with the evening were the service in which the server took some time to find us for the initial order, and the Ambience which only gets a good because the AC was on COLD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jim65VIPDined on 8/16/2014The RW menu was outstanding, as was our server. Noise level was low enough for good conversation at our table. Love this restaurant.
- Great MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014We went to this restaurant because it was a part of restaurant week. We thought the portion sizes would be small due to the reduced fare but it was not. The food was nice size portions. The menu had a great selection. Our server was great; his attitude added to the overall great experience of eating at Central Michel Richard. We will definitely return to try other items on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodErob1111Dined on 8/15/2014Everything was delicious. It was my second time there. Our waitress was nice and knew the menu well. Only complaint... The server that brought us our food pretty much threw the bread on the table and walked away quickly. A little rude I must say. But other than that everything was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Usually for Restaurant Week you get only so-so cooking. This was not the case - everything was delicious, we had a great time and the atmosphere was fun, we got to meet and talk with our neighbors a bit, everyone was in a really good mood. Friday night, it was busy, but the kitchen was on top of everything, and it was perfect. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great Experience and Wonderful Foodsarg10VIPDined on 8/15/2014We went for restaurant week and had a great time. We had a great table right by the kitchen, with a very nice server who was very attentive. I had the french onion soup, steak, and creme brulee while my boyfriend had salmon tartare, fried chicken, and the napolean. I highly recommend the fried chicken. It was amazing, and had fantastic mashed potatoes. The napolean was large but also delicious, and the french onion soup and the salmon tartare were great. I would definitely return for their full menu.Special Features:
- Great eveningfoxfoodDined on 8/15/2014The thing we like most about this restaurant is that it is simultaneously high-end elegant and fun quirky.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous fries!mabasil2Dined on 8/15/2014The best item on the menu is the fries. They were golden brown and oh so crisp. No ketchup required. The rest of the menu was good but not too memorable. One of the reasons we chose this restaurant was because my son loves fried chicken and theirs was well rated. The verdict was that it was kind of bland and the crust came completely off after the first bite. The tuna carpaccio was also rather bland and needed salt. The ribeye was well cooked and the mushroom sauce served on the side was excellent. I am a beef tartare fan and theirs did not disappoint. The menu does not offer detailed descriptions so be sure to ask questions. One thing to remember when visiting Central, dress warmly or bring a wrap! It is always freezing in there!
- Excellent Restaurant Week ExpOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Food and service excellent; quite noisy--had to almost yell to communicate at our table. Very limited Gluten-free options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014Went for restaurant week dinner with friends. We thoroughly enjoyed the mussels and risotto. They included some options beyond the menu for appetizers including salmon tartare over avocado and asparagus vichysoisse, both excellent. The service was perfect - as soon as our glasses were empty the servers were there to refresh our glasses. Would gladly return any day to Central.Special Features:
- Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/15/2014This client lunch turned into a HUGE an embarrassment! The menu was lacking many details, there were no descriptions. Order came out incomplete & our server forgot about us multiple times. We had to flag a manager down to get the missing items. Too bad it came after we we finished. We were never checked on and at one point I discretely pulled the server aside to get our check and explain how poor our service was. She completely ignored me (would not even make eye contact) and just handed me our $158 bill, no thank you either!). We grabbed the manager at the end, his words of wisdom: "Don't worry, she is leaving soon". Not even an apology. My office uses Central frequently for client lunches too bad none of us will return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Thuroughly enjoyed my dining experience. It helped greatly that we had unbelieveably great summer weather in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe since it was restaurant weekFoodieVIPDined on 8/14/2014Nicely greeted, good cocktail, lovely soup. In edible meat. I can only assume cheaper cuts of the flank steak during restaurant week.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014I went during restaraunt week. This was a great choice. There was a good selection and the food was delicious. The service was fast and we were not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayVIgirlDined on 8/14/2014Couldn't wait to try and was happy for restaurant week. Food was okaySpecial Features:
- Great food, not so great service...jseelkeDined on 8/14/2014We came for Restaurant Week for lunch...We thought a 12:45 reservation would be enough time to get back for 2:30 meetings...we were wrong. On the bright side, the food was fantastic and the the manager was very kind in comping one meal (after my wife's main entree was brought out incorrectly - and there were only two choices on the lunch menu!)...We constantly saw others seated after us getting their food before us...I would give it another try ... but would hope the service would be betterSpecial Features:
- Delicious FoodMsYummyDined on 8/13/2014Great experience and delicious food. I had the French onion soup that was amazing! Following, I had the fried chicken, which I was delighted to say it had a wonderful breader that was seasoned to a T. Lastly, the tongue teaser was the Creme brûlée. It made you want to more even at the last bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great lunch, but...AlainVIPDined on 8/13/2014Indeed, food was delicious as usual, but the service was poor and incredibly slow, probably because of Restaurant Week that attracts more clients than the rest of the year. Thank God we were sitting outside, as the noise inside was really too loud.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week lunchtheothercarolynVIPDined on 8/13/2014The special menu for Restaurant Week was limited to two starters, two main courses, and two desserts. We ordered salad, steak tartare, and crème brule. The salad and dessert were very good. The main course was a bit too warm for my taste. The meat was lean and well chopped, but lacked salt. I would have liked it more if it had been cold. Bread is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Success continuesBillDined on 8/13/2014Central is always good, and even when Restaurant Week gives other places the excuse to taper the service and quality, Central bucks that trend.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week DisappointmentFFFanVIPDined on 8/13/2014We were very disappointed with the menu selections for Restaurant Week, as there were only two in each of the three courses -- unless you wanted an "upcharge" for only two more choices in each course. Out of 7 of us that went, only 1 ordered off the restaurant week menu and 4 ordered the fried chicken which should have been a selection on the restaurant week menu.Special Features:
- Poor service, good foodWashingtonianDined on 8/12/2014This was my first time at Central and I went during Restaurant Week. The food was delicious, as expected, but the service was not good. We ordered a glass of wine at the bar while waiting for our table (which we were seated at after the reservation time). Once we sat down a server did not come by for at least 20 min to ask if we wanted another drink or to give us bread. It took asking several times to get someone to come over and this continued throughout the meal. There was no one to be found to ask for a new pepper grinder, a new fork, another drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Foodluvofwine29Dined on 8/12/2014The food was amazing, the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.