Central Michel Richard
1001 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Central Michel Richard
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centralmichelrichard.com/
- Phone: 2026260015x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Friday:5:00-11:00pm - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: David Deshaies
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Join us at Central Michel Richard for your next business meeting or special occasion. Our Jean Louis room is available for lunch and dinner and features a floor to ceiling glass wall that allows your group to see all the action of our open kitchen. It is also equipped with exceptional meeting amenities including a flat screen television and an independent sound system with ipod/cd/dvd/pc capabilities. We look forward to hosting your event.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 2026260015x
- Special Events: Our Jean Louis private dining room accommodates up 16 people. It has exceptional amenities including a flat screen tv and a sound system with cd/dvd/ipod compatibility.
A word from Central Michel Richard
Michel Richard's modern American brasserie,and winner of the 2008 James Beard award for best new restaurant is located on Penn. Ave NW between the White House and the Capitol. We serve Michel's tribute to great American cuisine, both modern and classic, with a French accent. A vibrant bar scene with boutique beer and wines, and modern and classic cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Central Michel Richard reviews from OpenTable diners
465 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (289)special occasion (165)great for lunch (131)hot spot (120)neighborhood gem (93)notable wine list (89)good for groups (85)vibrant bar scene (78)great for outdoor dining (70)romantic (52)great for brunch (27)late-night find (23)kid-friendly (16)scenic view (7)Show More
- Overall as good as usual, but noisy and a bit slowScottVIPDined on 10/22/2014Food was very good as were the drinks and wine. The place tends to be very, very noisy to the point where the waiter has a hard time hearing the orders and discussing the menu. We were seated immediately. Water serve immediately, drink service very slow and food order service slow as well. Once ordered, things moved along well.Special Features:
- Good lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Had the goat cheese caesar salad and the fish tacos - both very tasty and creatively presented. Would definitely eat there again. A bit pricey but worth a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodJEB1VIPDined on 10/20/2014The food was so good that it makes up for marginal service help - both seating and waiter hovering to take order too much. Will go back again as soon as an occasion arises..Special Features:
- Not what it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/20/2014Central Michel Richard is not the hot spot with luxurious food that it used to be. The restaurant was really dark with the only light being the occasional "celebration cake" sparkler filling the air. The lobster burger, which years ago was delectable and buttery and perfection, was ok. It was topped with a weird stewed tomato which gave the seafood a metallic taste - things got better once I removed it. But the flavor was lacking. The fries were a little soggy (fryer needs new cleaner oil). The service was ok. We had someone who couldn't eat gluten and while I appreciate that Central doesn't list every ingredient on the menu, our server did not make it easy or even try to anticipate our needs once we alerted him.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014The food was amazing! the service was awesome and everything else was above and beyond!! Everyone needs to try this restauantSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Seated 25 minutes after reservation. Food good, server a little to busy.
- Expected moreAngieDined on 10/18/2014First a drink at the bar.Requested mocktail(pregnant)+bartender creativity, she pointed me to non-alcohol menu.You'd think they could make a mocktail Seated dinner,slow waiter.Gave menus and said he'd be back for Qs.Waited.Came back,recommended app,said he'd be back for dinner Qs.Long wait.Came back,took Qs,took order.App came out,but mins later so did meals.Couldn't enjoy app Loong wait.Came back,asked about dessert.Watched couple next to us(seated after)hv table cleared,dessert menu,waiter explain menu,order dessert...we waited Finally ordered banana split.Couple next to us received dessert within 5min,ate,paid,left.we waited.Tried to cancel dessert. Waiting ruined experience.Charged for split.Only consolation-chef gave us 6 macaroons
- Sub-par serviceArlingtonguyDined on 10/18/2014The service unfortunately was sub-par. Our server never asked if I wanted another drink when I finished mine and had it taken away, and then was inexplicably replaced by another server. When I asked the new server for another drink, he said sure -- but then never brought it. I finally grabbed a passing staff member, who took a long time to respond. She finally brought the drink, a beer, in the middle of dessert.Special Features:
- Anniversary Gift DinnerLeesburgiteVIPDined on 10/18/2014Following matinee at the Kennedy Center, so we were part of the early arrivals for dinner. It filled up substantially as we enjoyed appetizers, drinks, dinner, and then a delicious dessert with coffee. The menu has changed some since I took my husband there for his Birthday in May. Missed the Chicken Schnitzel, although had planned on trying something else anyhow. The service was great and the food delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- blockbusterDined on 10/17/2014It was a memorable evening - great food and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014It is a basic and straightforward menu that keeps the chef limited in what he can do but nonetheless the food is great. I was expecting more french influences in sauces but the style is more American. Still a nice place for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but subpar serviceMelonHillDined on 10/17/2014Took my spouse out for a celebratory lunch however we both left feeling our service was inattentive and all around subpar. Despite noting in our reservation that this was a special occasion we were sat in the middle of the restaurant in a particularly loud and bustling section of the main dining room. There were several mistakes/problems during our meal. While the food was very well prepared, overall we were disappointed with our dining experience.Special Features:
- DisappointedMikeDined on 10/16/2014. Had not been to restaurant for a few years. Disappointed about quality of food. Foodvery salty and inedible. Service was great and attentiveSpecial Features:
- DC DeliciousDallasfanoffoodDined on 10/16/2014We are in DC to celebrate my son's 15th birthday. Dinner was so great the first night that we came back the second night! Service was fantastic - my son has special diet needs that were accommodated without any fuss or objection. Mussels are divine, the cheese puffs are light and right out of the oven, and the know how to make French Fries! Salads are very creative but slightly overdressed so ask them to go light. The Napoleon dessert comes with a sparkler and must be on your list! The chef came out and greeted us the second night without any prompting and offered to buy us dessert. They know how to value customers. Right in Penn Ave at 10th. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the fried chickenDCDinerVIPDined on 10/16/2014Great food all around. You won't find better fried chicken in Washington than this.Special Features:
- Tasty but noisyBarbDined on 10/15/2014The restaurant is one of the best choices for a tasty lunch near the Constitution Ave side of the Mall museums, but we found it way too noisy. Although busy, the service was good. The cheese puffs were as good as other diners reported. I found my fish, in the fish and chips dish, to be only average; the chips were quite good. The lemon chicken schnitzel was well executed but nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itdineandwineDined on 10/12/2014Great spot for Sunday brunch. The service and meal was amazing. I enjoyed the creme brûlée frech toast and eggs Benedict followed by chocolate mousse and washed it all down with several bellinis. I never eat so gluttonous for breakfast but it felt so good to enjoy all the sinful calories. I'm still paying for it at the gym. Brunch for two ran us a total of $77 excluding tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food nice place, Weak servicenickmDined on 10/11/2014The food was great and the ambiance was nice if you're looking for a vibrant evening. That being said, our waiter was over tasked, and forgot many things from the table. Bus service was worse, as just dropped our entrees off even before we were done with our soup (and didn't take the soup), and then completely neglected to take our entrees when we were finished with them.
- DeliciousnessLadyRedSoxFanDined on 10/10/2014Every single bite of my dinner was wonderful, from the warm bread and butter to the fantastic Chocolate Bar. French Onion Soup was savory with perfect gooey cheese. Michel's Fried Chicken was the best I've ever had. My daughter ordered the Vegetable Pearl Risotto, not expecting much, but it was truly perfect. Creamy, full of flavor and a textbook example of what risotto should be. The Chocolate Bar was ecstasy on a plate. All the elements that make a good dinner great were met. Delicious food, beautiful plating, and attentive service. I wasn't sure if I wanted a certain wine, so our server brought me a sample to see if I liked it. Best meal of the trip.Special Features:
- Overpromised, underdelivered.EnygmaDined on 10/10/2014Reviews painted a picture of fine dining experience but felt more like a fast food experience. Not just the menu, which was excessively homespun, the rapidity of service was actually a detractor. Entrees were served before the bread basket could even be opened.
- Food to Die ForSuzyCVIPDined on 10/9/2014We love going to Central Michel Richard! The waiters are always cordial and experienced. The food is to die for! Will definitely be back for more.Special Features:
- Nice place to celebratearabrabDined on 10/8/2014When checking in, noticed the noise level was too "energetic", were seated outside. We had a good birthday celebration under the attentive eyes of our waiter. Very good wine list, smaller food choice. Overall a good evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableRay2youDined on 10/7/2014Central is a good choice for this area. The food is prepared and presented well, service is usually top-notch, and but for the acoustics which make reasonable conversation difficult, a very good dining choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great as usual!!JimSDined on 10/6/2014great service and food, hard to beat for the priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerShiokDined on 10/6/2014I threw a dinner party here at Central for my overseas friends. We had attentive waiter who was polite and prompt in his service. Food was well presented and tasteful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not all it's cracked up to beTeamPLVIPDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant had been on our list for a while to try so we reserved a table for our 15th anniversary. We were seated 30 minutes later than our reservation time and no one at the restaurant seemed to worried about it. The restaurant was crowded and noisy and messy. Not what we expected for a romantic anniversary dinner. Our seats were cramped and right under a vent so it was freezing. With the exception of the cheese puffs and the napoleon the food was only ok, not the "fabulous" I had read about. If we come again it would only be for appetizers and desserts. We went to another top restaurant last year and were lavished with great food and constant attention. That was certainly not the case here.
- Love this restaurant!billandlauraDined on 10/4/2014Very high quality ingredients, excellent service! We really appreciated the hostess seating us next to a wooden panel - we were able to have a great conversation! every single thing we had (including the ice tea) had an excellent, subtle, flavor which is just what we were wishing for! We are definitely going back!Special Features:
- SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014Not the warmest welcome at the front. Multiple lights out in the building. Bartender was not able to answer a question we had about a piece of bar equipment. He said he would find out and then never did. Filet Tartare was good and matched well with the fries. Tuna Gazapacho was awesome. Brussels sprouts were oily and left a lot to be desired. Fried Chicken for $25? I expected a lot more. Dissapointing, especially considering it wasn't boneless. Hanger steak was cooked properly and seasoned well. Fries needed more seasoning. "Kit Kat" dessert was "wow!" Very nicely done. Service was average. Prebussing not existent. A bit surprised with the name of the place. I expected better ambiance (lights that were working), more seamless service $ food
- DisappointingGourmetgirlDined on 10/1/2014In DC for 2 nights only. Wish I had chosen a better restaurant. Salmon tartar was fishy and flank steak was gamey (I've never had gamey beef). Creme brûlée desert had the consistency of marzipan. Wine list very mediocre; atmosphere was busy & loud. Service was excellent.
- DelightfulfindmeDined on 9/30/2014Loved the atmosphere, casual but chic. Go hungry. The food is outstanding and the portions generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceAliceNoVaVIPDined on 9/30/2014We had an early (5PM) pre-event dinner there so I cannot comment on what the usual noise level might be. The food was excellent and the waiter was outstanding. He made excellent suggestions and ensured we had our (separate) checks quickly so that we could leave in time for our event at the National Archives. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Central Michel Richard ReviewSatisfiedDined on 9/30/2014Central Michel Richard is my go-to restaurant for office lunch get-togethers. Have often celebrated birthdays there. It's easy to miss yet conveniently located in NW DC near many Federal office business (Federal Triangle). The service is on point. It is evident that Central has an extensive training program for its wait staff. The expertly functioning kitchen is in full view of diners and adds flair to the dining experience. I give Central Michel Richard a 5 star rating. Did I mention that the menu selections are delicious. Be sure to try the meatloaf. It was the special when I last dined there and my tastebuds are calling for more.Special Features:
- Simply Delicious!JaniceDined on 9/29/2014Had not been to Central in a few years and, as we did the last time, requested a table near the kitchen. It is a bit quieter there and fun to watch all of the dishes going out. Our wait person was fabulous, even taking time to get the meat loaf ingredients from the chef. The meat loaf was divine! I was hesitant to try it as my experience with restaurant meat loaf is a dense, dry slab of meat. This was so light, savory and delicious -- perfect comfort food. The roasted chicken, ditto -- it was as good as we remembered. And for dessert -- we shared that scrumptuous Michel's Chocolate Bar, formerly known as the Kit Kat. The perfect decadent dessert to top off a lovely dinner. Will definitely not wait so long to return!
- Let's Do Brunch!MichaelVIPDined on 9/28/2014Central -- which had previously been closed on Sundays -- is now offering a fixed price, Sunday brunch for $25. It's a three course menu, with a variety of choices from creme bruleed french toast to the classic eggs benedict. One always can expect quality in terms of food and service at Central...and that was certainly the case with our brunch. The atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable; the dishes proportioned nicely and with lightness that makes this meal a starting point for a relaxing or entertaining Sunday...rather than a prelude for the necessary nap that follows so many overdone brunches. A great way to begin one's Sunday!Special Features:
- a great brunch findvisitor2seattleVIPDined on 9/28/20143 courses - great choices - beautiful and delicious food - lovely experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch @ CentrallaurapDined on 9/28/2014Great new brunch at Central. It's a $25 price-fixe menu, and bottomless mimosas (fresh OJ and good champagne) or bloody mary's (spicy, not bad) for $15. Overall food was delicious, drinks were good, service was friendly and quick, and it's a great deal for the price. For entrees, the steak and eggs were amazing. Creme brulee french toast was good but sweet, waffles and parfait were okay.Special Features:
- Great BrunchBrunchers7779Dined on 9/28/2014Wonderful Sunday morning brunch. This was only the 2nd time they offered it and I hope it stays. Fixed price menu only, but great options. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Quality ExperienceRChefDined on 9/27/2014We went to Central on the recommendation of a friend. Had some people that were adventurous, and others, more conservative. The place was perfect for both. Great comfort food, but with some more "foodie" options as well. We sat right next to the kitchen, which was fun, but added to the noise level. Would definitely recommend this place to a broad spectrum of people. One thing, it is fairly pricy.Special Features:
- Mostly goodHighlanderDined on 9/26/2014We arrived early and ordered from the prix fixe menu. Personally, I would prefer smaller portions when eating a 3-course meal, but it's a screaming deal for a hearty eater. Everything was fabulous except the mussels. They tasted fishy, were too chewy, and the bowl didn't allow good access to the juice for dipping bread. I ate very few, but had more than enough with the other courses. Also, we were assured of getting out of there in an hour, since we had other plans, but that didn't happen. No big deal for us that evening, but we specifically asked if the prix fixe would be fairly quick, and it was not. This was our second visit to Central. We'll be back, but will order a little differently next time.
- Too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/25/2014I received three calls and one email to confirm my reservation. Seemed excessive. And while we have been to Central before and very much enjoyed, all five of us felt the food was over salted. Not just a little too salty but so salty as to ruin good food.