42 Petaluma Blvd North
Petaluma, CA 94952Neighborhood:
OrganicPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centralmarketpetaluma.com/
- Phone: (707) 778-9900
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour Sunday - Thursday 5:00 - 6:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tony Najiola
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: By special request only.
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant dining room available for buy-out by special request.
- Private Party Contact: Anna Messina, General Manager 7077789900x
- Entertainment: Chef Tony Najiola is very entertaining. Join our mailing list to be notified of upcoming events.
- Special Events: Happy Hour Sunday - Thursday 5:00 - 6:00 pm: $1 Oysters, $4 Beers, $5 Wines.
A word from Central Market
Farm to Table Cuisine. We offer fine dining in a casual atmosphere with a seasonal menu featuring local produce, sustainable seafood & all natural meats.Continued
We are unable to reserve seats at the counter.
We support Slow Food.
We are unable to reserve seats at the counter.
We support Slow Food.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Central Market reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (133)neighborhood gem (100)special occasion (78)notable wine list (48)good for groups (46)hot spot (45)romantic (29)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good food but move too fastAnex43VIPDined on 11/18/2014They have an interesting and eclectic menu. Food is tasty and nicely presented. The scallops were delicious and their specialty boneless short rib was great. The staff was helpful and courteous but we constantly had the feeling of being rushed. There was a good sized cloud but not packed and nobody waiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good and unique foodregularlydineoutVIPDined on 11/16/2014The menu is well rounded. They do a good job at offering very fresh farm to table vegetable, salads and locally made cheeses etc. The wines are good and the service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good but not up to high reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014Two friends and I try out one restaurant monthly that is new to us. We have eaten at several in Petaluma and were excited to try Central Market. We had read reviews claiming the greatness of the food but our meal did not live up to its reputation. None of us was especially inspired by the starters or salads on the menu. The beet salad was plain and without much flavor, even with the feta crumbles. The little gem was a commonly found salad on menus these days; it was quite large for a pre-dinner salad. One of us had the pasta, which was like a bowl of five separate flavors that did not come together. The pasta shells did not hold any of the ingredients - salami, shrimp, and lemon. The dish doesn't work. The grilled salmon was good but nothing special. The best part of the meal was the wonderful and delicious desserts we ordered. We all expected the "macaroons with espresso butter" to be coconut macaroons that we know and love. They turned out to be the other macaroons, French traditional cookies sandwiched with the yummy butter in between. The semi-sweet chocolate torte was a molten flow of chocolate held within a shortbread crust; rich and flavorful, but only for those who like semi-sweet chocolate. The butterscotch pot de creme was light and flavorful. Service was good throughout. Maybe the best offering from Central Market is their Chef's menus. You can select the 3-course meal for $44 or the 4-course meal for a bit more. These menus allow you to select whatever you want from the regular menu and put them together. Only one of us did this, since the others had meals that were less expensive by paying the menu prices for each of the courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific foodvanhutchDined on 11/8/2014Ate here last night and was incredibly impressed with the quality of the food, and the menu options. EVERYTHING was delicious and something that I would reorder. We had the clams/mussels appetizer and then a simple green salad from off the menu and split the scallops and beef short ribs entrees. It was too much food for two ladies, but seriously amazing! Then, for desert we had the apple gallette (an individually sized apple tart with a fantastic crust) and the butterscotch pot de creme. Both devine. AND...to top it off....we enjoyed the Pinot Noir from Clary Ranch, a waiter's recommendation. The wine was so good, we both bought a bottle to take home the following day. In any case, this was a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- calypsoDined on 11/8/2014Had reservations, but had to wait quite some time for table. Scene was quite chaotic, waitress did as good as she could considering that. Food was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as good as it used to beCeciliaVIPDined on 11/8/2014I've been to Central Market at least 3 times over the past several years. We stop in every time we are in Northern California. I have to say that our last visit was disappointing. The "wow" factor is gone. I found the menu to be uninspired and the food just ok.
- A friend's favoritefresh4healthDined on 11/8/2014We wanted to take a special friend to dinner and she recommended Central Market because it's her favorite and also because it serves meat dishes for my husband (he had the shortribs..yummy). I had the wild king salmon, romaine salad, and the almond macaroons w/espresso butter cream. Everything was absolutely delicious. Our waitress was very attentive and informative and friendly. We live in the east bay but would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would be my regular!SconsetMacDined on 11/4/2014If I lived in Petaluma, this would be my go-to restaurant. As advertised: slow food, fast service. Staff is friendly, helpful and efficient. Servers help each other so the entire table is served at one time. This chef owned eatery allows us to benefit from the chef owned farm and his relationships with other farms in the local area. Produce is fresh and tasty; even some of the meats are from his farm.Special Features:
- Out of townersThewanderersDined on 11/2/2014Great recommendation by a family member! Loved everything about our experience and it was a Sunday night! Reservations a mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodFlipperDined on 11/2/2014When food arrived. My order was cool on a hot plate. HAdto be returned. Waited while others ate. They did compliment me with a glass of wine Third time eating there. Was dissatisfiedSpecial Features:
- Special night ruinedRmenascheVIPDined on 11/2/2014Steak was tough and cooked more medium than rare. The celery root purée was better than the scallops. To be told at the beginning of dinner that your reservation was for 5:15(we were 15 min late) and we have another reservation at 7:15 just tells me we were not wanted. Steaks arrived than 1-2 minute later French fries and the other 2 entrees arrived. The table next to us decided to talk on their cell phone during their 1st course and no one said anything. Definitely no effort was put into our dining experience.
- One of my favoritesLiddleGmaDined on 11/1/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Petaluma. I have never had a bad meal there, and I love the fact that the owner/chef raises and uses his own pigs for his menu. Great place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cant stop bragging !!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Our waitress was friendly very attentive ,the owner came to our table twice ! We felt we were treated like queens , the food was excellent ,the butterscotch pudding is out of this world ! We had a fabulous experience .Special Features:
- rude hostess, otherwise greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014The hostess came to our table as we were finishing desert and told us that the next reservation for that table was here and they were waiting for us to leave. we obviously took our sweet time after that comment. we paid good money to stay at that table as long as we wanted. Other then that, the food was great, the wine was better and out waitress was also very good. They just need to train the hostess a bit better.Special Features:
- Favorite Petaluma RestaurantfoodiekenDined on 10/30/2014Tony and his entire staff go out of their way to make everyone feel special. Their meals are flawlessly prepared with the best of ingredients. The servers are friendly and never make you feel rushed. We have been to Central Market on numerous occasions and definitely plan on returning soon.Special Features:
- Out of this world -- Amazing!!!PIzzaVIPDined on 10/25/2014I recently went to a performance at Sonoma State University. I reserved a table at Central Market before the show. The quality of the food was simply stunning. The service was impeccable. Central Market was one of the best restaurant experiences I have had in a very long time. The farm fresh ingredients really added a huge dimension to every dish. The dessert was to die for. It was something I've ordered many times and am typically disappointed. Not at Central Market. It was exactly the way its supposed to be made. I was in heaven. If you are in the north bay, or even if you are from SF, just drive up to Petaluma for a wonderful dinner!Special Features:
- Excellent experience and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Great, friendly, respectful service along with great food and ambience. The best pizza we have ever had - Thanks!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in townsunshineDined on 10/24/2014Central Market consistently offers the best dinner in town. I like that they offer 1/4 liter pours of wine... a little more than a glass, but still adding up to less than 750ml for the two of us (who can never manage to finish a bottle of wine in one sitting).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently specialhappyguyDined on 10/24/2014We always enjoy ourselves at Central Market. The menu is so interesting it requires reading fully before deciding, the staff are friendly and helpful, the food is cooked just so, and the owner Tony almost always stops by to make sure things are ok. He is very very good at "finding ways to make familiar things new" (from their website).Special Features:
- Wow!KimmieVIPDined on 10/11/2014Went back after a year because friends recommended the pork chop. That was not on the menu but what we ordered was outstanding. Linguini w/ clams and shrimp had a sauce that was over the top!!! Great wine. We'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Great birthday dinner treat!BrebisDined on 10/8/2014My brother gave me a gift certificate for $100 for this restaurant on my birthday. A few weeks later my husband and I went out and didn't really worry about price points but indulged ourselves. we had 2 glasses of wine each, appetizers (calamari and house made chartcuterie-amazing), lovely entrées (lunguini w/clam and beef short ribs fabulous) and we shared a dessert (butterscotch pot de cream) and the tab came just a few dollars over 100 bucks. We left a generous cash tip and felt totally full and happy. Many menu ingredients sourced locally and chef wven grows some of his own ingredients on his farm. We loved the casual, yet top notch quality in this restaurant. Chef/owner greeted some guests at their table. Felt a bit like italy. love!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local favoriteGH00Dined on 10/7/2014Great locally sourced food with similar local wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerDogloverDined on 10/7/2014Absolutely loved the food! Everything was fresh, local and wonderfully tasty. The only possible down point was the long wait time for both dinner and dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/7/2014My wife and I had dinner here to celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary. Table was exactly what I requested. We both had dishes we haven't had or usually get and they were superb! Enjoyed the high quality of food as well as the fact the menu is changed daily. The Salmon starter was the best prepared salmon I have had in years.Special Features:
- Spot On!PtownLocalDined on 10/5/2014Lovely restaurant, service is wonderful, and the food is something you dream about when you are not there. The scallops and short ribs are to die for, but i dont think you could go wrong with any of their offerings. Consistency has been excellent, it's wonderful every time. This place is a treasure!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but dining room too hotdjs48Dined on 10/4/2014Excellent food, but could use a bit more variety as menu is pretty eclectic. Usually something for everyone. In our recent visit the restaurant was exceptionally warm. Ceiling fans were not on and the room heat seemed to have overpowered the air conditioning. Later in the evening the sidewalk windows were opened which was a tremendous help.Special Features:
- Never fails to impressSeasideStephVIPDined on 10/4/2014We sail to Petaluma at least once a year and Central Market is always on the top of the dining destinations. My only complaint was that our party of 6 was seated in a window seat on a 90* day while the sun was still up, when tables further inside away from the sun sat empty. Everything, exceeded expectations, as usual.Special Features:
- very nice eveningsonomacherDined on 10/4/2014We ate at Central Market recently. Even with very short notice, we were given a nice table. We both ordered salads, followed by the scallops with mashed potatoes and veggies. My scallops were delicious! We didn't order a bottle of wine, but chose glasses instead. They have 2 sizes and we chose the larger glass. My pinot gris was very nice and refreshing. We ordered the apple galette for dessert, and that was a bit disappointing: lots of crust but very little apple. Overall, we enjoyed our dinner and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WillieDined on 10/3/2014The restaurant itself is very funky. My chicken was undercooked half way through the breast and the waitress said she would tell the kitchen and nothing happened. Calamari very salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow cooked, so good.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/3/2014My husband loved his slow cooked baby ribs and I enjoyed my Bombe meatball thoroughly. The toffee macaroons were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solicitous Courteous Wait Staffgood4uDined on 10/3/2014On an exceptionally hot evening, we still had a lovely dining experience. The wait staff did everything possible to assure a positive experience, including suggesting moving as the sun rays peeked through the curtains, and, asking the chef to arrange a vegetarian plate for one in our party. The food was beautifully presented, with unusual combinations that worked well with the exception of the calamari appetizer that one diner said, the calamari was overwhelmed by the flavors of the sauce.Special Features:
- Awful ServiceMillie273VIPDined on 10/2/2014Have now tried Central Market several times...the Service is just awful. This meal was by far the worst. The server was basically a ghost...forcing us to flag him down constantly for wine, food, etc....first time I have stiffed a server. Just awful...just say NO...too many better places to dine.
- Romantic dining, farm freshLisaWDined on 9/28/2014Everything about this restaurant was 5 stars. The food was prepared superbly. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was relaxed. We dined here to celebrate our anniversary. We will definitely return when we are in the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different, Interesting, AmazingDobeeDined on 9/27/2014When I first got the menu I was ready to bolt but friends convinced me to try it and get out of my comfort zone. I was so glad I did! We all had amazing food that was not anywhere near ordinary! Everything we ordered was amazing! The service was wonderful. The organic fresh veggies were popping with flavor! The only negative is that it is a bit noisy and the tables are close together but other than that a very fun evening!Special Features:
- great timetasteDined on 9/27/2014Went at 5:00 p.m. on a Saturday, opening time. Had a thoroughly enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nick2000Dined on 9/24/2014Very spacious. Bigger on the inside than it looks and soaring ceilings. Food was excellent too. Definitely a happening place with a noise level to go with it. Food was not on the cheap side. Overall, our party of 6 had a GREAT time and I would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Great Food!KarenDined on 9/24/2014Has been 4 years since I was at dinner here - but it has gotten even better! Highly recommend this restaurant - what a gem in Petaluma!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!Love2EatDined on 9/23/2014Central Market has been on my to-do list for some time, and I finally had the opportunity when friends were in town and camping in the Petaluma KOA. They are from southern CA and very well traveled, and all of us thought the food and service were excellent. I will definitely return to try other things on the menu.Special Features:
- DeliciousHeneniDined on 9/23/2014Great food and service. They made a special salad for me because of a diet restriction--which I greatly appreciated!Special Features:
- Service needs to equal foodFoodieVIPDined on 9/21/2014The food is outstanding but the service was lacking. When you are paying top price you expect top service. We waited 15minutes after being seated to be acknowledged. Our wine was never replenished, we had to do it ourselves, and we waited 45 minutes after finishing our entree to get dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.