3000 20th Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centralkitchensf.com/
- Phone: (415) 826-7004
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday 10:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Mcnaughton
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our Director of Events, Kate Michels at email@example.com or via phone at 415.826.7005 for pricing and further information.
- Private Party Facilities: central kitchen has two private dining rooms, the Butcher Block for up to 14 seated and 25 standing & Thirty Twelve for up to 30 guests seated and 45 guests standing. We also offer our courtyard for events up to 45 people, as well as full restaurant buyouts.
- Private Party Contact: Kate Michels 8883291959
A word from Central Kitchen
central kitchen is a restaurant in San Francisco’s mission district that creates thoughtfully cooked, locally sourced ingredients from northern california.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Central Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Central Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (142)neighborhood gem (103)hot spot (64)special occasion (63)notable wine list (50)romantic (45)good for groups (30)great for brunch (29)great for outdoor dining (25)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- NDohDined on 11/15/2014We loved Central Kitchen. Food was fantastic and they did an excellent job firing our food so we had a relaxed lengthy meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Difficult to enjoySaraDined on 11/15/2014The food and service were wonderful. And the staff members were genuinely nice and well-informed. But I wanted to converse with my dinner companion and it was a serious challenge due to loud music and then loud groups later. And the noise really interfered with my ability to enjoy the food. Also, my friend remarked that the food presentation was probably beautiful, but the lighting was so low that you couldn't enjoy that. Overall, I gave it an overall excellent review-- but next time I want to spend that much money, and enjoy outstanding food-- I will go elsewhere. Ambiance just not my style-- but others seemed unphased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014We had the tasting menu --- it was amazing from start to finish. Notable dishes were the dill spaghetti and cold squid salad. I will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sugar donutOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/14/2014Fussy short menu that waiter must interpret for you $17 soup Bland flavors Music too loud Weird food introductions at table Nice people who work there
- BonvivantDined on 11/12/2014I loved the food. Tom is a wonderfully inspired chef and it shows through in his menu. I had a special evening planned for my boyfriend's birthday. the dim lights and cool setting gave me the impression that central kitchen was a good choice. I was dismayed to soon learn that the level of noise due most likely to the high celings etc. was hugely distracting. We could hardly hear our server or eachother . I would love to see if there is another option for small tables and leave the larger parties maybe to the well lit side of the restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible anniversary experienceEastbayfoodieDined on 11/10/2014My husband and I went for our third anniversary and the entrees were $34 each and came with two VERY small pieces of meat. And they weren't anything that tasty or special. We had to go get burgers somewhere else after this meal!
- Best brunch ever.dontmakemehangryDined on 11/9/2014I normally hate all of the commotion of brunch but Central Kitchen made it the most pleasant experience. I loved that I could book a reservation online and everything about the meal was perfect. The small plates, (sticky bun and salad) as well as the entrees (huevos mission) and side dishes (crispy potatoes) were absolutely perfect. I can''t imagine a better meal!Special Features:
- Almost perfect!WinendineDined on 11/7/2014Our visit was prompted by an initial late night visit to Sam the Som....heard bout him from his lovely girlfriend at Coqueta....he delivered excellent hospitality n good wine /appetizer pairings... So we went back Friday night for dinner.....our 815 reservation was 20 minutes late but the place was packed and ambiance good..server was very good if a bit shy....wine was unusual , Blaufrankich (sp) planted and from the Willamette Valley....and quite tasty...appetizers were unusual ...the rabbit pate was delish! Main courses were superb and the only reason I did not go 5star was portion size on the pot roast when first served was very small...I mentioned this to the server and the manager responded with another ample serving on the houseSpecial Features:
- Lived up to the hypeChelseaStVIPDined on 11/6/2014Central Kitchen lived up to the hype of its sister restaurants/bars Flour + Water and Trick Dog. The food doesn't disappoint, the ambiance is great. We chose the tasting menu and it was the perfect amount of food, with a delicious dessert to end on. The nicest thing about this restaurant in particular is it is not impossible to get a reservation, unlike Flour + Water. Love it. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Lively Sunday Brunch SpotJohnDined on 11/2/2014Lots of good energy in a modern, welcoming setting. Airy, lots of light. Host, servers were super friendly and efficient. Brunch menu a bit limited but good, tasty dishes with a twist. Nice wine list !Special Features:
- madmeneDined on 11/2/2014One of our favorite places in the city! Great food and great service. We make the drive from Napa as much as possible just to eat, and they never dissapoint!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful timeDonnieDined on 10/28/2014Dishes were delicious, and portions were moderate (not for the type who expect a full plate of food, so temper your expectations and you won't be disappointed). I've been on a more savory dessert kick, so that portion of the meal was overly sweet for me, but delightful nonetheless. Server was cheerful and helpful (but could use a buffing up a little on his wine knowledge). The dim-lit setting was perfect for our night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ehBrotherofPasqualeDined on 10/27/2014wish i had higher praise. Too many better places at same price or less. service marginal, uninformed. food unremarkable.
- Fantastic as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/26/2014This was our third or fourth time to Central Kitchen for brunch with a group. The staff is always very friendly and professional. The food is always creative and delicious. Loved: fried chicken benedict, baked eggs, sticky buns.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014Their patio is a combination indoor outdoor; their food is delightfulSpecial Features:
- Didnt disappoint!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014I was visiting San Francisco and wanted to treat myself and friends to a nice dinner out. We started with drinks in the bar next door which was quite lively for a Tuesday evening. We then moved over to Central Kitchen for our 8pm reservation and were seated immediately. The wine list was fantastic. All the food was beautifully presented and the appetizers in particular were absolutely fantastic each with a unique and delicious blend of flavors. Our main dishes were also good but didn't lead to the "Oh wow this is amazing" comments that the appetizers had. Dessert was shared and didn't disappoint either. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed Central Kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative food with limited optionsHbkbdDined on 10/20/2014Appetizers are creative and tasty. Entree options are limited, encouraging customers to partake of the tasting menu -- but providing too few choices to make it a good venue for an enjoyable and customizable dinner.Special Features:
- Unique!divegurl7Dined on 10/19/2014Very creative menu items! Very interesting interior and location! Delicious! I had the squid salad, the hen roulade, and the carrot sorbet. The espresso was super bitter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Few more choices pleaseOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/17/2014First of all -- the service was fantastic. The staff was very attentive and friendly. We had a late reservation (so parltly our issue) and they were out of one of the main courses- that was a little disappointing since there were only 3 to choose from. We found the dishes to be creative and delicious. I'll try to get there a little earlier next time.Special Features:
- Great Start!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/15/2014We started our holiday in California at Central Kitchen - thank you for a wonderful evening. The food was outstanding…flavours and combinations that blew our minds!! The Guanciale Toast changed my life!! LOL! We decided to share a number of dishes - giving us the opportunity to try more - so glad we did that!! The wine recommendation was excellent, service wasn't rushed. Thank you Karen for taking such good care of us. We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/15/2014One of the best meals I've had in San Francisco...and that is saying a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beats my spree in NYCParkerVIPDined on 10/15/2014Just got back from NYC where I hit a handful of delicious hot spots. Found the food at Central Kitchen topped them all. They nailed every dish we ordered- from the heirloom tomato salad to the chocolate custard dessert. My partner, who isn't a fine diner, was pleasantly surprised that the food was delicious enough to justify a bit of a splurge date. The squash, the squid ink pasta, the cod…it was all melt-in-your-mouth insanely delicious. The service was on top of it with perfect timing, as well. It was a 5 Star Meal.Special Features:
- Great dinnerGuifredVIPDined on 10/12/20144of us had the chef's 6course tasting menu. Each item was delicious and beautifully presented. Our waitress was fantastic. It is only too bad that this restraunt is in SF and I live on the east coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint, fun, definitely worth goingfoodhuntingDined on 10/12/2014To start off, the service was exceptional; super friendly and funny staff. The ambiance was perfect for a nice brunch date and the food was on point. Though the dessert was a little bit too heavy for me (I forgot what it was called, I had the date cake if I'm not mistaken), the entrees were all great! Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014We chose to dine on the Chef's Choice 6 course meal. It did not disappoint, the flavors and the presentation was amazing.Special Features:
- returning again and againGuoAnLiDined on 10/10/2014wonderful space and service beautiful, unusual food also great best of the evening: roasted cauliflower: black pasta with cauliflowerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunTimes12Dined on 10/7/2014Throughly enjoyed this Restaurant. Coming from sydney and a lover of food and service this hit all the marks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - a bit pricey.WonderfulVIPDined on 10/5/2014This is a neighborhood gem in every way. It has a warm inviting quality and there is a covered patio area that also provides a bit of outdoor space. The food is inventive and everything was very good. The menu is a bit confusing in its organization and by prices alone you can't tell if you have wondered into starters or mains. This is a $40.00 - $50.00 meal without wine or desert if you have a starter and main...Special Features:
- FantasticBritBritDined on 10/2/2014Such a great experience. Service, food, drinks all excellent! Make a reservation, and go check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteYamoDined on 10/2/2014Every morsel was delicious. The pace of the meal was perfect. A memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/30/2014We had an amazing dinner here! I had been to a private party once but never dined here and I am glad I did. By far my favorite was the squid ink pasta, it was to die for! The smoked tuna was amazing as well. I let the "kitchen decide" on a vegetarian option for me and I wasn't really a fan but other than that everything was amazing. Looking forward to dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special place for special dinnerMissionEaterDined on 9/28/2014We did the tasting menu (chefs choice) and central kitchen accommodated our dietary requests and food allergies seamlessly. Both our server and the wine manager treated us to tastes and provided excellent advice and guidance on selecting two delicious bottles of wine (especially for my parents who only like french red wine). Outstanding experience!Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/28/2014The menu is not huge, but everything on it is carefully and thoughtfully composed. A meal with unexpected flavors and delightful, the staff was also very gracious and friendly.Special Features:
- Looooooooong waitliketoeatnotwaitVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had an 8:15 reservation. We were not seated until 9:20. No matter how you spin it, it was too long. Food WAS good, and they did comp us apps. But by the time we sat we drank waaaay too much. They need to get it together
- Just okayStephi6nDined on 9/21/2014We had been wanting to try this place for a while and knew it was a pricey restaurant. The location is in an especially hip and trendy part of the Mission. Our expectations were high and it was a special occasion. We arrived and the staff could not have been nicer. Very friendly and competent. We decided to go with the option of having the kitchen prepare a tasting menu for us. None of it was bad but by the same token none of it was really special. It seemed that crunchy bits of bacon were sprinkled throughout the dishes. I happen to love bacon but it seemed overdone. The duck was tender but some of the duck skin was rubbery rather than crisp. I was hoping for fresh sparkling flavors but it was not to be.Special Features:
- Brunching like a champSherBearDined on 9/21/2014This is a fantastic local gem - excellent food, coffee & service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Sunday brunchchocloveVIPDined on 9/21/2014My family enjoyed an excellent Sunday brunch. The food was very inventive and extremely tasty, served in a wonderful environment.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceLANAKDined on 9/21/2014The food was great. The restaurant is using seasonal ingredients which is always nice and preferable. The service was impeccable. The place is casual but fun.Special Features:
- My belly was doing a happy danceLadyJoJoRisingDined on 9/19/2014Had a wonderful evening at this venue. The service was superb, and the food had me and my belly doing a happy dance throughout the entire meal. My date and I shared the pork agnolotti and king salmon. The former were pillows of divine pleasure (seriously!) and the king salmon dish would've been just as good without the salmon. I don't usually like eating cooked salmon, but this salmon was delish (cooked perfectly w/ crispy skin). I told the server that if we were at home, we'd be licking the plates clean. Since we were in a public place, we did the second best thing and requested bread to sop up all the sauce. This is a MUST! The bread at Central Kitchen (and Flour:Water) is some of the best bread I've ever had in my entire life!Special Features:
- Inventive without preciousnessSpankyVIPDined on 9/18/2014Great space that is well designed but true to the unpretentious Mission location. An inspired menu built on local and seasonal ingredients, artfully crafted and presented with a joyful smile. A treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.