3000 20th Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centralkitchensf.com/
- Phone: 4158267004x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday 10:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Mcnaughton
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our Director of Events, Kate Michels at email@example.com or via phone at 415.826.7005 for pricing and further information.
A word from Central Kitchen
central kitchen is a restaurant in San Francisco’s mission district that creates thoughtfully cooked, locally sourced ingredients from northern california.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Central Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Central Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (115)neighborhood gem (80)special occasion (51)romantic (46)hot spot (39)notable wine list (33)great for brunch (28)good for groups (27)great for outdoor dining (20)late-night find (14)great for lunch (10)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- overpriced!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014We had a good experience overall. Prices need to come down, the food is good but not amazing for the price. Wines are also good but not amazing and red wines are $16 or $18. They have one for $11 but it's undrinkable. I'll definitely pay theses prices for a really good experience but's this is not the case. I'll go back, but when prices come down or the food increase the potential.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Great ambiance... The food was excellent and the wine list has many great wines to choose from. The staff were perfect, going thru the menu and wine list. All our services arrived at the right time, glasses were topped off before you could reach for the bottles. Could not have asked for a better night out. $ to value was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We were excited to try Central Kitchen as we had heard great things. The quality of the food was excellent, but the level of service was terrible and ruined our experience. From the start, the waitress tried to push the tasting menu on us and after our decision of 1 appetizer and 2 mains, pushed us to order additional dishes as she felt our order would not be sufficient. When we received our bill, one of the mains we ordered was not a main, but a dish designed for 2. Had we been told it was a two person meal we would have ordered something else or just that dish. The manager did cut the price in half for the main, but the waitress never apologized for the miscommunication. I left feeling angry and swindled.
- Limited menu, but superbDivisaderoQueenVIPDined on 8/19/2014Everything about our evening was wonderful! I would give this restaurant a wholehearted thumbs up, with one tiny complaint. The menu is exceedingly small -- only 4 entrees -- so if you don't like what they're serving you're out of luck. Luckily I was thrilled to find a salmon dish, although the menu changes frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missedPeterVIPDined on 8/19/2014This was our second visit. The staff and overall service were terrific and simply could not have been better. The food was just wonderful, imaginative, and delightful. The seating is not crowded and very costumer friendly in a most attractive dinning area with concrete floors, wood walls, and a large, open high ceiling; very warm and comfortable.Special Features:
- Not worth the waitPK02Dined on 8/17/2014Sloppy service: We had a table booked for 12 but didn't get seated until 12:40. While we were waiting we didn't get offered a drink or to look at the menus. No one apologized. When we were seated, we had to get up to signal someone and drinks took ages to arrive. The food at brunch was tasty and well thought through but not spectacular. The veggie options were unimaginative, and also not very filling. The space is great, but I would never go back.
- Long wait, great foodYumyumDined on 8/16/2014Booked for 10. Waited 40 minutes past our reservation time. Other than that everything was fantastic. Bring your wallet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ten Stars, Not Just FivemammanonnieDined on 8/10/2014Sunday brunch; happy sunny place, amiable cheerful staff, gorgeous presentation, DELICIOUS food, what more could one ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting and tasty menuDB66Dined on 8/9/2014It wasn't easy to decide what to get. The menu had several unusual items / ingredients that challenged our normal expectations / habbits when ordering. Once the food came we were very pleased with the presentation and taste.Special Features:
- Change in direction?HappyfoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014My partner and I dined at Central Kitchen on August 9 because we had enjoyed the restaurant in October 2013. While there was much to be admired, the esthetic seemed to have changed in those months. In October food was elegantly presented and combined delicate, unexpected flavors. This time, tables ordering the tasting menu seemed to be served family style, all serving from a common bowl or plate. The fired green tomatoes were sliced in thick sections, the batter was too dense to stay on the tomatoes. The Squid a la plancha was heavily weighed down with competing, rich sauces that overwhelmed the squid. A disappointment after a memorable meal in the fall.
- At lastAndieBSimonDined on 8/5/2014It seemed like it was going down as the "the hot new restaurant that never opened" to "the hot spot without the great food"...but to their credit, the guys at Central Kitchen learned to take critical feedback and have much better fare and service. it's still pricey as hell, but now the cost feels worth it.Special Features:
- Amazing Experiencent77Dined on 8/3/2014Central Kitchen delivers a real foodie experience. Order the "Let the Kitchen Decide" and have the best of the best tasting plates placed in front of you.Special Features:
- Good food, not so good serviceSmartFoodDined on 8/2/2014Service left a lot to be desired, the food was delicious and the chef was great when he came around. Bar and wait staff just didn't make the cut.Special Features:
- foodfaceMarinVIPDined on 7/31/2014Great find! Everything was delicious and beautifully presented. Staff was helpful, efficient--and friendly, which was quite the opposite of what we expected as a result of a very strict sounding voice message that we got when we tried to call and explain that we had gotten lost and were almost there---a fraction beyond the 15 minute table hold. (The combined tone of that message and the fact that we couldn't ring through to a human being to explain the situation was not optimal.) The burrata with stone fruit is a must have if it's on the menu. Salmon and pasta were exceptional. The deserts at the next table looked delectable, but we had to pass as we had a theater curtain to make. Next time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014Love the atmosphere and the food! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Everything we ordered was amazing! Service was great as well. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food. OpenTable Res Mishaptpb1Dined on 7/28/2014Reserved my table for the very first time through OpenTable for 7:45pm. Central Kitchen had it in their system for 7:30pm, so they gave my table away. I showed the Central Kitchen host my reservation confirmation, but to no avail. He said they'd text me in 10 minutes for the next available table, but they didn't text me for an hour. Pretty hungry by the time I sat down. Food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So dope. Eat hereBdiddyDined on 7/27/2014Please refer to heading. So because of the 50 characters I'm still writing. Common menu items creatively prepared. ProperSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wonderfulWeekendBlissedDined on 7/27/2014Perfect dining experience...the Stone Fruit Salad and Squid plate were bursting with flavour, great music with a playlist & absolutely charming architecture. A new SF favourite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RkluvsPPC8Dined on 7/27/2014Amazing brunch spot, make your reservations today! I hear dinner is satisfying, but the brunch menu is creative, diverse, & delicious! ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.NTinSFVIPDined on 7/26/2014Really enjoyed our meal here. I would go back and do the chef 's menu. Space is loud.Special Features:
- Creative and Energetic Menupick4bunDined on 7/25/2014Our dinner at Central Kitchen was quite fun and truly delicious. Everything our party selected for the meal was terrific. We shared all items, and loved comparing notes on our individual reactions to each dish. The dishes themselves were interesting, fresh, inspired and sooooo tasty - without exception. Great time, great staff, great food. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a SurpriseRosieAVIPDined on 7/20/2014I love Central Kitchen. The menu always has an unusual surprise. This visit, we enjoyed the perfectly seasoned fried green tomatoes and padron peppers the most. The squid a la plancha came with a black olive crust that brought out the briny flavor of the the squid. Our server suggested fantastic wines by the glass. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchLuv2eatDined on 7/20/2014Very creative menu, food was excellent. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for brunchChet78VIPDined on 7/20/2014Great place for brunch. We were seated 15-20 mins late, however the host was very nice and so was the waitress. All the dishes were really good. The service was also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jacques1Dined on 7/17/2014Surprised to discover simple facade. Surprising when entering. Very spartan interior. Not expected such good food. Way too noisy...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findsumitVIPDined on 7/12/2014Fantastic-- All the appetizers, salad, and the Cod ( entree ) were excellent. We tasted 10 out of the 16 dishes ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing flavor combinationsIsitthecarmelorthesaltDined on 7/9/2014This was my first tine here and I must say it was amazing. We tried the 'let the restaurant decide' and we were not disappointed. We ended up getting to sample like half the menu and there wasn't one thing we didn't like. Extremely inventive and complex flavor combinations in every bite of every plate. The wait staff worked as a team and was super attentive. Will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/8/2014This is a nice restaurant with a some very unique dishes with fantastic flavors. Well managed. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining Experience!chefgpzDined on 7/3/2014What a great restaurant, the space, the food, wine list , professional attentive, knowledgable service staff, every dish artistically presented, we will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceNebprofDined on 7/3/2014Interesting and delicious. The sewer pipe water feature just inside the door tells you that this is going to be different. The relatively small menu is highly creative. For example, the refreshing cantaloupe and cucumber salad has "compressed fruit" and greens atop a creme fraiche and yogurt panna cotta. The hen roulade entree was moist and, like the fruit in the salad, intensely flavored. From the starter through the dessert, the food was delicious. (At Commonwealth, which also has a very innovative menu, the food was at least as interesting but not as uniformly delicious as at Central Kitchen.) The restaurant has two rooms, side by side, both appealing in a renovated-rustic style. The waitstaff is friendly and professional.Special Features:
- Almost Perfect...Central KitchenTruffleDinnerVIPDined on 6/28/2014We had a great meal and a wonderful experience. We had the croquettes (delicious), the potatoes (very good), and the pastas (both were amazing, especially the agnolotti (sp?). It was a great experience up to there. Then we had this very long wait for our entrees. During that time, our stomachs realized we weren't hungry and then we just sat waiting. I'm not sure what went wrong with the timing but it was maybe 30 min. before the entrees. My husband had the salmon, I had the pork. Both were very good but just weren't as exciting as the earlier dishes. The waiter was super nice but I like to hear something when there is a big lag. I will go back and am hopeful that was just a minor bump.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and Great FoodeatskyVIPDined on 6/28/2014We ordered a ton of appetizers and sampled a good portion of the menu, it was interesting and tasty. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- great eveningbabsDined on 6/27/2014Great food. Lovely space: open air dining. Perfect temperature. Attentive staff. Cucumber melon salad was delicious as well as the salmon dish, duck with the side of corn and bean mix, olive oil cake with berries/perfect and the sorbet with fruit and the little treats was yummy. Parking is a challenge but do-able.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ancomDined on 6/23/2014Good but not great for the $$$ cost. Beautiful presentation but flavors and textures were sometimes muddled. For example, chick pea fritters tasted like three day old falafel from the corner store. Added minus, they immediately soaked up the sauce on the dish. As a result, sauce and fritters were the same texture and flavor: mush. Similarly, Roasted squid dish was overwhelmed by salt from the chopped olive marinade. And, roasted alliums were dressed up with a lot of oil and some cream foam. But, you could basically do the same on your grill at home, replacing the foam with creme fraiche. Overall, the food was good, but for me, at $65 a person, I expect better than good. Service was incredible friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- great food, inattentive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/21/2014The food is as always outstanding! But our waiter abandoned us for 45 minutes and we had to flag down another waiter to check on things. Were told our meal was "being plated" which suggests it was imminent but another 20 minutes went by before we were served. Service is the only thing that keeps this from being an outstanding destination.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely dining experienceSkepticDined on 6/21/2014Central Kitchen is a small but light and airy space. The food was flavorful, simple and delicious. The service at times could be a bit more professional -- one server continually expected me to pass over my plate to her on the other side of the table -- but we really enjoyed the casual, calm ambience and the beauty and simplicity of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-So-SupperJohnDined on 6/20/2014Service was good, but if I am going to pay $20+ for a few pieces of beef filled pasta, the food should be simply amazing. Sadly, it wasn't. Maybe my expectations are too great, but small portions of high priced bland food is very underwhelming. A so-so evening.
- A deft touch with seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/18/2014Central Kitchen's veggies are always good -- but it's the fish and seafood that really stood out on our most recent visit. The entire table ordered the tasting menu, which we all thought was a good value, and the starter salads were good (standout was a concoction with figs and almond butter), but dinner got better and better with the tender, charred squid, the toothsome chitarra with uni butter, mussels, and bottarga. One diner had halibut while the others had hen roulade. CK managed to incorporate some asian flavors (sesame, ginger) and various places in the menu without being too heavy handed ... creating intriguing flavor combos rather than a new version of something that your chinese grandma does better (looking at you, Betelnut).Special Features:
- The tops.LestorianDined on 6/15/2014Some of the best food in San Francisco. Creative and balanced dishes, with brave flavors and absolutely topnotch ingredients. The wine was fantastic, a perfect pairing, and the without exception the waitstaff were enthusiastic, professional, knowledgable, and down to earth. It's my second time here, and though it was WAY past the range of what I should spend on dinner I'll be back as soon as I can!Special Features: