3000 20th Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centralkitchensf.com/
- Phone: 4158267004x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday 10:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Mcnaughton
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our Director of Events, Kate Michels at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 415.826.7005 for pricing and further information.
- Private Party Facilities: central kitchen has two private dining rooms, the Butcher Block for up to 14 seated and 25 standing & Thirty Twelve for up to 30 guests seated and 45 guests standing. We also offer our courtyard for events up to 45 people, as well as full restaurant buyouts.
- Private Party Contact: Kate Michels 8883291959
A word from Central Kitchen
central kitchen is a restaurant in San Francisco’s mission district that creates thoughtfully cooked, locally sourced ingredients from northern california.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Central Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (131)neighborhood gem (94)hot spot (58)special occasion (56)romantic (44)notable wine list (41)great for brunch (30)great for outdoor dining (28)good for groups (27)vibrant bar scene (9)great for lunch (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- ehBrotherofPasqualeDined on 10/27/2014wish i had higher praise. Too many better places at same price or less. service marginal, uninformed. food unremarkable.
- Fantastic as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/26/2014This was our third or fourth time to Central Kitchen for brunch with a group. The staff is always very friendly and professional. The food is always creative and delicious. Loved: fried chicken benedict, baked eggs, sticky buns.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014Their patio is a combination indoor outdoor; their food is delightfulSpecial Features:
- Didnt disappoint!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014I was visiting San Francisco and wanted to treat myself and friends to a nice dinner out. We started with drinks in the bar next door which was quite lively for a Tuesday evening. We then moved over to Central Kitchen for our 8pm reservation and were seated immediately. The wine list was fantastic. All the food was beautifully presented and the appetizers in particular were absolutely fantastic each with a unique and delicious blend of flavors. Our main dishes were also good but didn't lead to the "Oh wow this is amazing" comments that the appetizers had. Dessert was shared and didn't disappoint either. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed Central Kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative food with limited optionsHbkbdDined on 10/20/2014Appetizers are creative and tasty. Entree options are limited, encouraging customers to partake of the tasting menu -- but providing too few choices to make it a good venue for an enjoyable and customizable dinner.Special Features:
- Unique!divegurl7Dined on 10/19/2014Very creative menu items! Very interesting interior and location! Delicious! I had the squid salad, the hen roulade, and the carrot sorbet. The espresso was super bitter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Few more choices pleaseOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/17/2014First of all -- the service was fantastic. The staff was very attentive and friendly. We had a late reservation (so parltly our issue) and they were out of one of the main courses- that was a little disappointing since there were only 3 to choose from. We found the dishes to be creative and delicious. I'll try to get there a little earlier next time.Special Features:
- Great Start!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/15/2014We started our holiday in California at Central Kitchen - thank you for a wonderful evening. The food was outstanding…flavours and combinations that blew our minds!! The Guanciale Toast changed my life!! LOL! We decided to share a number of dishes - giving us the opportunity to try more - so glad we did that!! The wine recommendation was excellent, service wasn't rushed. Thank you Karen for taking such good care of us. We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/15/2014One of the best meals I've had in San Francisco...and that is saying a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beats my spree in NYCParkerVIPDined on 10/15/2014Just got back from NYC where I hit a handful of delicious hot spots. Found the food at Central Kitchen topped them all. They nailed every dish we ordered- from the heirloom tomato salad to the chocolate custard dessert. My partner, who isn't a fine diner, was pleasantly surprised that the food was delicious enough to justify a bit of a splurge date. The squash, the squid ink pasta, the cod…it was all melt-in-your-mouth insanely delicious. The service was on top of it with perfect timing, as well. It was a 5 Star Meal.Special Features:
- Great dinnerGuifredDined on 10/12/20144of us had the chef's 6course tasting menu. Each item was delicious and beautifully presented. Our waitress was fantastic. It is only too bad that this restraunt is in SF and I live on the east coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint, fun, definitely worth goingfoodhuntingDined on 10/12/2014To start off, the service was exceptional; super friendly and funny staff. The ambiance was perfect for a nice brunch date and the food was on point. Though the dessert was a little bit too heavy for me (I forgot what it was called, I had the date cake if I'm not mistaken), the entrees were all great! Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014We chose to dine on the Chef's Choice 6 course meal. It did not disappoint, the flavors and the presentation was amazing.Special Features:
- returning again and againGuoAnLiDined on 10/10/2014wonderful space and service beautiful, unusual food also great best of the evening: roasted cauliflower: black pasta with cauliflowerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunTimes12Dined on 10/7/2014Throughly enjoyed this Restaurant. Coming from sydney and a lover of food and service this hit all the marks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - a bit pricey.WonderfulVIPDined on 10/5/2014This is a neighborhood gem in every way. It has a warm inviting quality and there is a covered patio area that also provides a bit of outdoor space. The food is inventive and everything was very good. The menu is a bit confusing in its organization and by prices alone you can't tell if you have wondered into starters or mains. This is a $40.00 - $50.00 meal without wine or desert if you have a starter and main...Special Features:
- FantasticBritBritDined on 10/2/2014Such a great experience. Service, food, drinks all excellent! Make a reservation, and go check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteYamoDined on 10/2/2014Every morsel was delicious. The pace of the meal was perfect. A memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/30/2014We had an amazing dinner here! I had been to a private party once but never dined here and I am glad I did. By far my favorite was the squid ink pasta, it was to die for! The smoked tuna was amazing as well. I let the "kitchen decide" on a vegetarian option for me and I wasn't really a fan but other than that everything was amazing. Looking forward to dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special place for special dinnerMissionEaterDined on 9/28/2014We did the tasting menu (chefs choice) and central kitchen accommodated our dietary requests and food allergies seamlessly. Both our server and the wine manager treated us to tastes and provided excellent advice and guidance on selecting two delicious bottles of wine (especially for my parents who only like french red wine). Outstanding experience!Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/28/2014The menu is not huge, but everything on it is carefully and thoughtfully composed. A meal with unexpected flavors and delightful, the staff was also very gracious and friendly.Special Features:
- Looooooooong waitliketoeatnotwaitVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had an 8:15 reservation. We were not seated until 9:20. No matter how you spin it, it was too long. Food WAS good, and they did comp us apps. But by the time we sat we drank waaaay too much. They need to get it together
- Just okayStephi6nDined on 9/21/2014We had been wanting to try this place for a while and knew it was a pricey restaurant. The location is in an especially hip and trendy part of the Mission. Our expectations were high and it was a special occasion. We arrived and the staff could not have been nicer. Very friendly and competent. We decided to go with the option of having the kitchen prepare a tasting menu for us. None of it was bad but by the same token none of it was really special. It seemed that crunchy bits of bacon were sprinkled throughout the dishes. I happen to love bacon but it seemed overdone. The duck was tender but some of the duck skin was rubbery rather than crisp. I was hoping for fresh sparkling flavors but it was not to be.Special Features:
- Brunching like a champSherBearDined on 9/21/2014This is a fantastic local gem - excellent food, coffee & service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Sunday brunchchocloveVIPDined on 9/21/2014My family enjoyed an excellent Sunday brunch. The food was very inventive and extremely tasty, served in a wonderful environment.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceLANAKDined on 9/21/2014The food was great. The restaurant is using seasonal ingredients which is always nice and preferable. The service was impeccable. The place is casual but fun.Special Features:
- My belly was doing a happy danceLadyJoJoRisingDined on 9/19/2014Had a wonderful evening at this venue. The service was superb, and the food had me and my belly doing a happy dance throughout the entire meal. My date and I shared the pork agnolotti and king salmon. The former were pillows of divine pleasure (seriously!) and the king salmon dish would've been just as good without the salmon. I don't usually like eating cooked salmon, but this salmon was delish (cooked perfectly w/ crispy skin). I told the server that if we were at home, we'd be licking the plates clean. Since we were in a public place, we did the second best thing and requested bread to sop up all the sauce. This is a MUST! The bread at Central Kitchen (and Flour:Water) is some of the best bread I've ever had in my entire life!Special Features:
- Inventive without preciousnessSpankyVIPDined on 9/18/2014Great space that is well designed but true to the unpretentious Mission location. An inspired menu built on local and seasonal ingredients, artfully crafted and presented with a joyful smile. A treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation time only a suggestion.TimothyFloydDined on 9/14/2014I had an 11:30am reservation for brunch with a friend who had to catch a flight. They didn't seat us until 11:55am. Not sure about you, but for a brunch spot that takes reservations, a reservation should not be a suggestion. The service was kind but spotty. They forgot to bring us two items we order. The food was quite good, salvaging the experience.Special Features:
- Central Kitch - worth the visitcowsquirrelDined on 9/9/2014Great and very unique food. Very small menu which changes daily. Knowledgeable and courteous staff. Loved it.Special Features:
- Incredible Dining Experiencevynn23Dined on 9/7/2014My parents came to visit and I wanted to take them somewhere nice for brunch and I can honestly say this was the best choice I could have made. We were blown away by the food. 4 of us got 4 different dishes and they were all mouthwateringly superb. The presentation was beautiful and the service was wonderful. The indoor/outdoor setup is the perfect backdrop for any great meal. I'd highly recommend Central Kitchen for any occasion, but especially if you're in the mood for an incredible dining experience.Special Features:
- Great food & ambiance, poor servicemissioneaterDined on 9/6/2014Terrific food, very neat ambiance/architecture, and a very nice waitress, but the service was unbelievably SLOW. That was the LONGEST dinner I have ever had -- nearly two and a half hours and that included getting our dessert to go. The time between courses was simply unacceptable and when we asked the manager what explained the delay he said that fresh, homemade food took time. That's true but plenty of other restaurants in the city have found a way to make fresh, homemade food in far less time. Loved the food but won't be returning unless the kitchen management is improved.
- tasty food in unique settingAndrewVIPDined on 9/3/2014Most food was great (though the squid was only ordinary). While our server was good, my only complaint was it took too long for our food to arrive due to the kitchen cooking for a large party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip and eclecticFoodieVIPDined on 9/3/2014Finishes were very inviting and informal with excellent service. Typical of these newer hip venues, small plates should be shared and chef did a great job of combining ingredients. Check out the hen roulade, so moist, so well prepared and so delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious eatsOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/2/2014I came to Central Kitchen soon after it opened and was not blown away. But on my most recent visit (nearly 2 years later), the quality of the food has truly gotten better and better. Nice work team!Special Features:
- Our Last Supper In San FranciscoexopchefDined on 9/1/2014Well talk about saving the best for last. We had an awesome run in dining during our visit to San Francisco and this was our last night. I just went by online reviews and this place was spot on. We had a wonderful meal in a trendy cool vibe setting with great service. What else could you ask for. Are server was professional and fun and a pleasure. What a great way to end our visit.Special Features:
- overpriced!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014We had a good experience overall. Prices need to come down, the food is good but not amazing for the price. Wines are also good but not amazing and red wines are $16 or $18. They have one for $11 but it's undrinkable. I'll definitely pay theses prices for a really good experience but's this is not the case. I'll go back, but when prices come down or the food increase the potential.
- Great placeMontrealDaveDined on 8/24/2014Great ambiance... The food was excellent and the wine list has many great wines to choose from. The staff were perfect, going thru the menu and wine list. All our services arrived at the right time, glasses were topped off before you could reach for the bottles. Could not have asked for a better night out. $ to value was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We were excited to try Central Kitchen as we had heard great things. The quality of the food was excellent, but the level of service was terrible and ruined our experience. From the start, the waitress tried to push the tasting menu on us and after our decision of 1 appetizer and 2 mains, pushed us to order additional dishes as she felt our order would not be sufficient. When we received our bill, one of the mains we ordered was not a main, but a dish designed for 2. Had we been told it was a two person meal we would have ordered something else or just that dish. The manager did cut the price in half for the main, but the waitress never apologized for the miscommunication. I left feeling angry and swindled.
- Limited menu, but superbDivisaderoQueenVIPDined on 8/19/2014Everything about our evening was wonderful! I would give this restaurant a wholehearted thumbs up, with one tiny complaint. The menu is exceedingly small -- only 4 entrees -- so if you don't like what they're serving you're out of luck. Luckily I was thrilled to find a salmon dish, although the menu changes frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.