567 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambrige, MA 02139Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.enormous.tv/central/index1.html
- Phone: 6174915599
- Hours of Operation:
Nightly: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Pearl Street
- Public Transit: We are located on the Central Square stop on the Red line. There are also numerous buses that come through Central Square.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Located next to Public lot #5 and Green Street Garage, as well as metered parking on Mass Ave and surrounding side streets.
A word from Central Kitchen
Central Kitchen is located right in the heart of Central Square in Cambridge. We serve our delicious rustic Mediterranean fare seven nights a week. Think Paris, Tuscany and Barcelona with a raw bar and a wonderful wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Central Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (20)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (11)special occasion (8)notable wine list (7)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)Show More
- Great SpotKurtDined on 10/2/2014I've always been impressed with Central Kitchen. Great menu, friendly staff.Special Features:
- Central Kitchen has lost its edge!!RuthieVIPDined on 9/18/2014Sadly, one of my favorites has just stopped trying, clearly. It was always one of those places you could depend on for consistency. No more. Service was adequate but underwhelming. Food, same. Nothing special at all. Even the crème brulee which used to be outstanding, was mediocre. none of the little special effects (berries, biscuits). I will not be back - too many great new restaurants in the area. I thought it was worth re-visiting but for the price, it is no longer any value. Don't botherSpecial Features:
- pretty mediocreSarahDined on 9/18/2014Nice people, but the cocktails were mostly ice, my dinner was too salty, it was too dark and loud, AND it was expensive. I wanted to like the place but, unfortunately, it just wasn't up to snuff.
- A few strange glitchesYogaenthusiastVIPDined on 9/8/2014Monday may not be Central Kitchen's best night. We arrived to hear that the lines to the taps weren't working, so no draught available. Then the beer we wanted was gone. But wait, we saw someone else get a draught! Eureka and miraculous! The limited menu offers great selections, and the food is good. Service is earnest. We may give it another try, but probably not on a Monday.
- neighborhood gemrowerVIPDined on 9/5/2014We eat at Central Kitchen 1 or 2 times a mouth and enjoy it very much. The bread, food and the service are always great and if we do not make reservations we can eat at the Bar. We love we can walk there it is our neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EastSiderDined on 9/1/2014Central Kitchen has been around for a long time in Cambridge. Not inexpensive for what you get. But ingredients were very fresh and connected to what is seasonally-available, and the selections were cleverly created even if the menu choices were quite limited.Special Features:
- EnergeticCambridgianVIPDined on 8/7/2014Central Kitchen is a cut above the surrounding restaurant scene. Quite clearly the chef is creative and conscientious. The servers are knowledgeable and dedicated to doing things right. The setting is hip and energetic, but not the sort of quiet place you might want for a super romantic meal. We have been there several times and find the combination of the scene, the great food and interesting service to be worthwhile. You really should book a reservation as it fills up and by 9 or so the line to get in to the bar is out the door and down the block.Special Features:
- Friendly, noisy, great apps!ricewingsDined on 8/6/2014We had a great dinner here, made up of a careful selection of apps combined, tapas-like, to create a substantial meal. The moules mariniere were fantastic, with perfectly crisp thin french fries. The duck confit salad was also a winner. Would recommend for anyone looking for a cheerful environment who doesn't mind the occasionally deafening noise.Special Features:
- Loud/ slow service/Disco ??UnderwhelmedDined on 8/4/2014We enjoy going out. We are new to Cambridge. The noise was so lid we had to almost yell to have a conversation. Our server was on amother planet. After 90 minutes of K and the sunshine band playing continuously. I asked server to please ask for disco music to be changed. This is supposed to be a fairly upscale restaurant. Our appetizers were good. Our dinner Bluefish and Vegetables rageu were ok. Once we finally got our servers attention to get our check she was then forever in running and return ing our debit card. I'm a chef and was really looking forward s to our dinner. But..we will not return.
- don't skip the mussels appetizer!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014Very much enjoyed our dinner at Central Kitchen. Will definitely go back when I'm in the neighborhood!I would recommend this to a friend.
- What did you say?IpodDined on 8/1/2014Way too loud. The food and service were good as usual but seems like they have decided to pump up the jams. The music was way too loud and not conducive to a candle lite romantic conversation with my bride.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/20/2014Apps arrived sequentially, each diner nearly finished before the next arrived. 6:30 reservation, at 7:55 the waiter said food would be out in 5, offered free round (wasn't interested). At 8:20 after no food came out of kitchen we all just cancelled orders and left. This place used to be good, lately its gone down hill. Have been coming here since it opened but won't be back.
- Off night?bostonreginaVIPDined on 7/19/2014CK is one of my fave restaurants in the area; it's close to TTs and the Middle East, and we usually have dinner there before going to a show. This past weekend, it was completely dead, yet our service was lackluster. (I had never seen this server there before.) They were out of the bluefish, which was surprising, as they have such a small menu AND the place really wasn't packed. The food was, as usual, great, and the wine was wonderful. I was REALLY surprised to see it so empty, though, and the fact that they didn't have one of the handful of meals noted as a entree (and no specials -- on a SATURDAY!) made me worry that something is going on behind the scenes. I hope it was just an off night, as I really do normally enjoy a night out there.Special Features:
- Very good food, way too loud musicABYGADined on 7/8/2014Brief but interesting and intriguing menu. The food was very good - ribeye steak for one and bluefish for another were pefectly prepared. Vegetables served with the bluefish were a bit overcooked, so soggier than the firmness they might have had to make them both palatable and attractive. The french fries served with the steak were very good. A serious issue with the entire experience was the loud, poundikng music. It surely meant that diners at a bnearby table could not hear our conversation nor we theirs. Unfortunately, we couldn't hear our own either. Managment may think that such loud music adds to the character of the restaurant. I think it is thoroughly disrespectful of the clientele.
- Foodie vibekaybee63Dined on 7/1/2014The food was really excellent, even though I had a couple of young, rather unadventurous diners with me. My daughter had the Caesar salad - really fresh, appropriately dressed and topped with these delicious pickled fish, (not anchovies, something with a b that I forget,). My other daughter had a two way pork sandwich which was delicious, but she decided she's just not a fan of pork loin, although it was well seasoned and prepared. My husband loved the not-on-the-menu burger that had some unusual toppings, and I had a lovely bluefish that was perfect - too bad it's gauche to lick the plate. The only quibble we had was that my daughters couldn't get a fizzy root beer, only flat but at least it was no charge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 63 reviews are from the Central Kitchen reviews archive.
- Try new things!MarieDined on 6/21/2014We loved the duck confit. Perfectly balanced in taste. We tried the polenta, the shaved Parmesan melted in our mouths. We tried the pork and it had sunchokes...they were tasty. I went with a friend that thinks Chili's is super. Little by little he is trying new things. I love this restaurant and it's ambiance. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/18/2014Limited menu, but interesting offerings. Overall, I wasn't overly impressed with the service/presentation.Special Features:
- Don't go!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Two stars for Caesar Salad and steal frites- polenta and cannelini dishes inedible. The staff is rude and service inconsiderate. Better restaurants nearby such as Catalyst, Cambridge Brewing, Blue Room.
- My favorite local.4unegourmandeVIPDined on 5/27/2014My husband and I are addicted to the moules frites at the Central Kitchen. They are always delicious. This restaurant reminds me of a comfortable local Parisian place to eat. The service is friendly and the food is excellent. And the hot chocolate cake at the end (with vanilla ice cream) is yummy.Special Features:
- Awesome food and serviceomnomnomVIPDined on 5/24/2014Food was great as always and even though I had mis-booked my reservation, they were kind enough to seat us and give me the open table points. I love this place. Solid food and friendly folks. I always invite my out of town guests to eat here.Special Features:
- Good food and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014The ambiance was great. We were a group of 4 and had no problem hearing each other. The tuna tartar was fresh and zesty but I wish there was something crunchy with it as it felt pretty mushy. I had the trout and it was awesome -- highly recommend. My friend got the pork and thought it was meh. The creme brûlée was very delicious - leave room for dessert. We went upstairs afterwards for drinks and it was bumping. Nice cocktails. Overall it was a lovely dinner and drinks experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty.r75g34hDined on 5/19/2014The meals our party of three had were all very good and beautifully presented. My friend's dish, "Pork two ways", was probably the tastiest of the three, but my brook trout was also very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurantkennedycenterconcertgoerDined on 5/15/2014My friends and I had a great dinner and visit. The restaurant is in a convenient location; has an interesting menu and a good wine list. I would recommend it.Special Features:
- We keep coming backAvidRitaDined on 5/9/2014We keep coming back for the surprisingly good food, the comfortable casual ambience, and personable service. A popular small pub with a somewhat upscale feel (never trendy hip), very 'Cambridge'. Cocktails good, but it's the food that really shines. A limited menu changes seasonally, much better than even the better pubs fare. The mussels and frites are a standard delight -- they do them right, and portions are excellent. I have to force myself to try other things. This trip we shared deviled eggs as an appetizer, large Caesar salad, and a yummy entree of polenta and spring veggies; partner had the skate, delicate and delicious. Parking tough, but space in public lot out back often available. On the Red Line .Special Features:
- Solid food, prices are fair.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/3/2014I enjoyed the pork two ways and the chicken. The chicken in particular wa surprisingly moist, tender, and flavorful. If it were in my neighborhood, I'd go there regularly, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there. I thought the price-to-quality ratio was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waited for crummy table w/ reservSteveDined on 5/2/2014After making my reservation, and confirming it earlier in the day, my friend and I had to wait at least 10-15 minutes to be seated (after the hostess told us they were "clearing a table" and that it would be 2 minutes.. kinda silly thing to say when you can literally see every table in the restaurant!). Then we were seated next to a party of 4 seated at a 2 person table, so my friend and I had another patron's back about 6 inches from our table. Food was fine, and the waitress was nice enough. No one filled our water glasses when we sat down.. after taking our drink order, the waitress didn't come back for at least 10-15 minutes to take our food order. Mostly the waiting/seating issue made this an unpleasant experience.Special Features:
- Overpricedlonghorn865VIPDined on 4/24/2014We have heard good things about Central Kitchen from friends and were excited to try it. We enjoyed the clam chowder and the complimentary bread. We also enjoyed the frites. Our steak, however, was extremely overcooked and was unenjoyable. We were not asked how our food was or if we needed anything else. The other dishes we tried were not memorable. Overall there was not much on the menu that was interesting and everything seemed overpriced for the quality/quantity of food. The service was sub-par compared to similarly priced restaurants. We will not return.
- THE PLACE in Central SquareOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/11/2014First time at restaurant and what a fantastic dining experience. Steak frites and Manhattan cocktail a solid combination; service was attentive and unobtrusive. The sorbet combination for dessert was a perfect finish to an outstanding evening. If you had to pick one place to dine in Central Square, Central Kitchen is THE PLACE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music was a little to loudmms3Dined on 4/2/2014Music was a little to loud to hear but everything else was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food but Loud MusicDBBrooklineDined on 3/29/2014The food was great but we probably won't dine there again because of the noise level. The tables run along the wall opposite the bar. There is music playing overhead, maybe for the bar clientele but it makes dining less enjoyable because it's hard to talk to the other people at the table. As it stands, I think this restaurant is better as a bar or to eat dinner but not to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Engery, good food, but noisyLeeLeeVIPDined on 3/29/2014The food was very good and the service acceptable; it was high energy, but maybe a bit loud for conversation for my taste.Special Features:
- Mostly very goodCarlVIPDined on 3/23/2014We really enjoyed the trout and pork entrees but the seafood paella was weak. But overall nice atmosphere and food, we would go again.
- Not impressed, but OKymvgDined on 3/6/2014We were slightly dissapointed with this place. Overall it was OK, the service is fine, the food is good and the place looks nice, but we were expecting just a little bit more. Perhaps more generous portions, or slightly lower prices? The menu could do with more variety of options, to be honest. But the food tasted good. I would recommend trying this place if the location suits you and you have the chance, but I would not be too energetic about it either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousTOmBDined on 2/20/2014i am 60 and we had three 20-somethings. it worked well for all. the food is terrific! paella was my choice and it was greatSpecial Features:
- Amazing Food!arv2Dined on 2/15/2014The food was absolutely amazing. The steak frites (ordered rare) had a lot of fat on it (which I find inedible) but that comes with ordering it rare. The chocolate terrine was so good I can still picture it in my mind. The music was all over the place unfortunately; for a restaurant with such a nice low light ambience, I would imagine jazz would fit a lot better than Jay-Z and Kanye (which was playing). All in all, I would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CK Valentines SpotkarattackDined on 2/14/2014Went here for valentines day, they open doors at 5:30 so we reserved for that time. The family in front of us didn't have reservations but there were plenty of tables open during our dinner so seating was not a problem. Good to come early! We ordered the cheese plate, and a couple of mixed drinks, the pork dish and the steak frites. Loved everything! Best steak I've had in a while cooked perfect medium rare as I ordered it. Passed on dessert b/c the chocolate one took 20 minutes... so order that with the meal if you like chocolate desserts! I also loved it was not super bright or loud in there so we were able to hear our own conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Central Kitchen was fine.sbasbaDined on 2/11/2014Central Kitchen was fine. Open Table was not. You did not get reservation to them, though I had confirmation from you. Not good for my confidence in Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Wonderful Experiencecrazy4foodDined on 2/9/2014I took my grandma here the other night and we had a really wonderful time. The food is really special- we had the grilled octopus, mussels, steak tartar, and duck confit salad, all of which were nearly flawless dishes. Our waitress was incredibly accommodating and extremely nice. Between the atmosphere, the delicious food, and the really generous service, we had a really amazing meal. And this was my second time! I can't wait for my third! By far my favorite Boston dining experience since moving out from NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant surprise in Central Sq.PierrotDined on 1/25/2014Was looking for a before-theater dinner spot for a party of three. Was pleasantly surprised to find a vibrant, yet not loud, atmosphere at Central Kitchen. All courses were well prepared and flavorful -- good quality with no pretense. Our server was astoundingly well informed and enthusiastic about food and wine. Again, no pretense -- just good, straightforward info and an affable manner. In an era where so many restaurants play music that is so loud that people have difficulty talking over it (thus causing people to speak loudly, raising the general volume of the place even further), it was a pleasure to be able to carry on a dinner conversation over a good meal -- well prepared and well served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!!mimiDined on 1/12/2014I love Central Kitchen. Best mussels in the world. Servers are very friendly and welcoming. We have been going there for years..always excellent. i recommend it highly too young and not so young.Special Features: