3000 20th Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centralkitchensf.com/
- Phone: 4158267004x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday 10:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Mcnaughton
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our Director of Events, Kate Michels at email@example.com or via phone at 415.826.7005 for pricing and further information.
- Private Party Facilities: central kitchen has two private dining rooms, the Butcher Block for up to 14 seated and 25 standing & Thirty Twelve for up to 30 guests seated and 45 guests standing. We also offer our courtyard for events up to 45 people, as well as full restaurant buyouts.
- Private Party Contact: Kate Michels 8883291959
A word from Central Kitchen
central kitchen is a restaurant in San Francisco’s mission district that creates thoughtfully cooked, locally sourced ingredients from northern california.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Central Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Central Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (128)neighborhood gem (93)special occasion (55)hot spot (50)romantic (45)notable wine list (38)good for groups (30)great for brunch (30)great for outdoor dining (24)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- Special place for special dinnerMissionEaterDined on 9/28/2014We did the tasting menu (chefs choice) and central kitchen accommodated our dietary requests and food allergies seamlessly. Both our server and the wine manager treated us to tastes and provided excellent advice and guidance on selecting two delicious bottles of wine (especially for my parents who only like french red wine). Outstanding experience!Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/28/2014The menu is not huge, but everything on it is carefully and thoughtfully composed. A meal with unexpected flavors and delightful, the staff was also very gracious and friendly.Special Features:
- Looooooooong waitliketoeatnotwaitVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had an 8:15 reservation. We were not seated until 9:20. No matter how you spin it, it was too long. Food WAS good, and they did comp us apps. But by the time we sat we drank waaaay too much. They need to get it together
- Just okayStephi6nDined on 9/21/2014We had been wanting to try this place for a while and knew it was a pricey restaurant. The location is in an especially hip and trendy part of the Mission. Our expectations were high and it was a special occasion. We arrived and the staff could not have been nicer. Very friendly and competent. We decided to go with the option of having the kitchen prepare a tasting menu for us. None of it was bad but by the same token none of it was really special. It seemed that crunchy bits of bacon were sprinkled throughout the dishes. I happen to love bacon but it seemed overdone. The duck was tender but some of the duck skin was rubbery rather than crisp. I was hoping for fresh sparkling flavors but it was not to be.Special Features:
- Brunching like a champSherBearDined on 9/21/2014This is a fantastic local gem - excellent food, coffee & service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Sunday brunchchocloveVIPDined on 9/21/2014My family enjoyed an excellent Sunday brunch. The food was very inventive and extremely tasty, served in a wonderful environment.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceLANAKDined on 9/21/2014The food was great. The restaurant is using seasonal ingredients which is always nice and preferable. The service was impeccable. The place is casual but fun.Special Features:
- My belly was doing a happy danceLadyJoJoRisingDined on 9/19/2014Had a wonderful evening at this venue. The service was superb, and the food had me and my belly doing a happy dance throughout the entire meal. My date and I shared the pork agnolotti and king salmon. The former were pillows of divine pleasure (seriously!) and the king salmon dish would've been just as good without the salmon. I don't usually like eating cooked salmon, but this salmon was delish (cooked perfectly w/ crispy skin). I told the server that if we were at home, we'd be licking the plates clean. Since we were in a public place, we did the second best thing and requested bread to sop up all the sauce. This is a MUST! The bread at Central Kitchen (and Flour:Water) is some of the best bread I've ever had in my entire life!Special Features:
- Inventive without preciousnessSpankyVIPDined on 9/18/2014Great space that is well designed but true to the unpretentious Mission location. An inspired menu built on local and seasonal ingredients, artfully crafted and presented with a joyful smile. A treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation time only a suggestion.TimothyFloydDined on 9/14/2014I had an 11:30am reservation for brunch with a friend who had to catch a flight. They didn't seat us until 11:55am. Not sure about you, but for a brunch spot that takes reservations, a reservation should not be a suggestion. The service was kind but spotty. They forgot to bring us two items we order. The food was quite good, salvaging the experience.Special Features:
- Central Kitch - worth the visitOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/9/2014Great and very unique food. Very small menu which changes daily. Knowledgeable and courteous staff. Loved it.Special Features:
- Incredible Dining Experiencevynn23Dined on 9/7/2014My parents came to visit and I wanted to take them somewhere nice for brunch and I can honestly say this was the best choice I could have made. We were blown away by the food. 4 of us got 4 different dishes and they were all mouthwateringly superb. The presentation was beautiful and the service was wonderful. The indoor/outdoor setup is the perfect backdrop for any great meal. I'd highly recommend Central Kitchen for any occasion, but especially if you're in the mood for an incredible dining experience.Special Features:
- Great food & ambiance, poor servicemissioneaterDined on 9/6/2014Terrific food, very neat ambiance/architecture, and a very nice waitress, but the service was unbelievably SLOW. That was the LONGEST dinner I have ever had -- nearly two and a half hours and that included getting our dessert to go. The time between courses was simply unacceptable and when we asked the manager what explained the delay he said that fresh, homemade food took time. That's true but plenty of other restaurants in the city have found a way to make fresh, homemade food in far less time. Loved the food but won't be returning unless the kitchen management is improved.
- tasty food in unique settingAndrewDined on 9/3/2014Most food was great (though the squid was only ordinary). While our server was good, my only complaint was it took too long for our food to arrive due to the kitchen cooking for a large party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip and eclecticFoodieVIPDined on 9/3/2014Finishes were very inviting and informal with excellent service. Typical of these newer hip venues, small plates should be shared and chef did a great job of combining ingredients. Check out the hen roulade, so moist, so well prepared and so delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious eatsOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/2/2014I came to Central Kitchen soon after it opened and was not blown away. But on my most recent visit (nearly 2 years later), the quality of the food has truly gotten better and better. Nice work team!Special Features:
- Our Last Supper In San FranciscoexopchefDined on 9/1/2014Well talk about saving the best for last. We had an awesome run in dining during our visit to San Francisco and this was our last night. I just went by online reviews and this place was spot on. We had a wonderful meal in a trendy cool vibe setting with great service. What else could you ask for. Are server was professional and fun and a pleasure. What a great way to end our visit.Special Features:
- overpriced!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014We had a good experience overall. Prices need to come down, the food is good but not amazing for the price. Wines are also good but not amazing and red wines are $16 or $18. They have one for $11 but it's undrinkable. I'll definitely pay theses prices for a really good experience but's this is not the case. I'll go back, but when prices come down or the food increase the potential.
- Great placeMontrealDaveDined on 8/24/2014Great ambiance... The food was excellent and the wine list has many great wines to choose from. The staff were perfect, going thru the menu and wine list. All our services arrived at the right time, glasses were topped off before you could reach for the bottles. Could not have asked for a better night out. $ to value was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We were excited to try Central Kitchen as we had heard great things. The quality of the food was excellent, but the level of service was terrible and ruined our experience. From the start, the waitress tried to push the tasting menu on us and after our decision of 1 appetizer and 2 mains, pushed us to order additional dishes as she felt our order would not be sufficient. When we received our bill, one of the mains we ordered was not a main, but a dish designed for 2. Had we been told it was a two person meal we would have ordered something else or just that dish. The manager did cut the price in half for the main, but the waitress never apologized for the miscommunication. I left feeling angry and swindled.
- Limited menu, but superbDivisaderoQueenVIPDined on 8/19/2014Everything about our evening was wonderful! I would give this restaurant a wholehearted thumbs up, with one tiny complaint. The menu is exceedingly small -- only 4 entrees -- so if you don't like what they're serving you're out of luck. Luckily I was thrilled to find a salmon dish, although the menu changes frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missedPeterVIPDined on 8/19/2014This was our second visit. The staff and overall service were terrific and simply could not have been better. The food was just wonderful, imaginative, and delightful. The seating is not crowded and very costumer friendly in a most attractive dinning area with concrete floors, wood walls, and a large, open high ceiling; very warm and comfortable.Special Features:
- Not worth the waitPK02Dined on 8/17/2014Sloppy service: We had a table booked for 12 but didn't get seated until 12:40. While we were waiting we didn't get offered a drink or to look at the menus. No one apologized. When we were seated, we had to get up to signal someone and drinks took ages to arrive. The food at brunch was tasty and well thought through but not spectacular. The veggie options were unimaginative, and also not very filling. The space is great, but I would never go back.
- Long wait, great foodYumyumDined on 8/16/2014Booked for 10. Waited 40 minutes past our reservation time. Other than that everything was fantastic. Bring your wallet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ten Stars, Not Just FivemammanonnieDined on 8/10/2014Sunday brunch; happy sunny place, amiable cheerful staff, gorgeous presentation, DELICIOUS food, what more could one ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting and tasty menuDB66Dined on 8/9/2014It wasn't easy to decide what to get. The menu had several unusual items / ingredients that challenged our normal expectations / habbits when ordering. Once the food came we were very pleased with the presentation and taste.Special Features:
- Change in direction?HappyfoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014My partner and I dined at Central Kitchen on August 9 because we had enjoyed the restaurant in October 2013. While there was much to be admired, the esthetic seemed to have changed in those months. In October food was elegantly presented and combined delicate, unexpected flavors. This time, tables ordering the tasting menu seemed to be served family style, all serving from a common bowl or plate. The fired green tomatoes were sliced in thick sections, the batter was too dense to stay on the tomatoes. The Squid a la plancha was heavily weighed down with competing, rich sauces that overwhelmed the squid. A disappointment after a memorable meal in the fall.
- At lastAndieBSimonDined on 8/5/2014It seemed like it was going down as the "the hot new restaurant that never opened" to "the hot spot without the great food"...but to their credit, the guys at Central Kitchen learned to take critical feedback and have much better fare and service. it's still pricey as hell, but now the cost feels worth it.Special Features:
- Amazing Experiencent77Dined on 8/3/2014Central Kitchen delivers a real foodie experience. Order the "Let the Kitchen Decide" and have the best of the best tasting plates placed in front of you.Special Features:
- Good food, not so good serviceSmartFoodDined on 8/2/2014Service left a lot to be desired, the food was delicious and the chef was great when he came around. Bar and wait staff just didn't make the cut.Special Features:
- foodfaceMarinVIPDined on 7/31/2014Great find! Everything was delicious and beautifully presented. Staff was helpful, efficient--and friendly, which was quite the opposite of what we expected as a result of a very strict sounding voice message that we got when we tried to call and explain that we had gotten lost and were almost there---a fraction beyond the 15 minute table hold. (The combined tone of that message and the fact that we couldn't ring through to a human being to explain the situation was not optimal.) The burrata with stone fruit is a must have if it's on the menu. Salmon and pasta were exceptional. The deserts at the next table looked delectable, but we had to pass as we had a theater curtain to make. Next time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014Love the atmosphere and the food! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Everything we ordered was amazing! Service was great as well. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food. OpenTable Res Mishaptpb1Dined on 7/28/2014Reserved my table for the very first time through OpenTable for 7:45pm. Central Kitchen had it in their system for 7:30pm, so they gave my table away. I showed the Central Kitchen host my reservation confirmation, but to no avail. He said they'd text me in 10 minutes for the next available table, but they didn't text me for an hour. Pretty hungry by the time I sat down. Food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So dope. Eat hereBdiddyDined on 7/27/2014Please refer to heading. So because of the 50 characters I'm still writing. Common menu items creatively prepared. ProperSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wonderfulWeekendBlissedDined on 7/27/2014Perfect dining experience...the Stone Fruit Salad and Squid plate were bursting with flavour, great music with a playlist & absolutely charming architecture. A new SF favourite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RkluvsPPC8Dined on 7/27/2014Amazing brunch spot, make your reservations today! I hear dinner is satisfying, but the brunch menu is creative, diverse, & delicious! ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.NTinSFVIPDined on 7/26/2014Really enjoyed our meal here. I would go back and do the chef 's menu. Space is loud.Special Features:
- Creative and Energetic Menupick4bunDined on 7/25/2014Our dinner at Central Kitchen was quite fun and truly delicious. Everything our party selected for the meal was terrific. We shared all items, and loved comparing notes on our individual reactions to each dish. The dishes themselves were interesting, fresh, inspired and sooooo tasty - without exception. Great time, great staff, great food. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a SurpriseRosieAVIPDined on 7/20/2014I love Central Kitchen. The menu always has an unusual surprise. This visit, we enjoyed the perfectly seasoned fried green tomatoes and padron peppers the most. The squid a la plancha came with a black olive crust that brought out the briny flavor of the the squid. Our server suggested fantastic wines by the glass. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.