1072 Denman Street
Vancouver, BC V6G 2M8Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.centralbistro.com/
- Phone: 6046894527
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 12:00 am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 1:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Nick Gazdag
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live Jazz every Sunday begining at 8:00 pm.
A word from Central Bistro
Central Bistro offers freshly made "comfort food' and we advertise the fact that it's 'where the locals eat'. And they do — because the food is reasonably priced and the quality is reliable. In fact, our menu is made with fresh ingredients, from scratch, every day. We have a casual atmosphere and we make sure you'll get good service so that you can enjoy your time in our restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Central Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (9)romantic (8)hot spot (7)special occasion (5)good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- delicious!jcpooVIPDined on 10/20/2014we went in for the first time with a social shopper voucher and we are so glad to have tried it!! we tried the elk carpaccio, braised short ribs, steak, and a mocha cheesecake - everything was superb!! thanks central bistro!Special Features:
- Revival of "Cheers" and good foodGloriaVIPDined on 10/7/2014When we return to Vancouver, we reserve our first Happy Hour at this Bistro. Every night has a special offer -- ours before 6pm was $5 beer. This is a local gem and the enthusiasm for beer was uplifting. Thoughtful servers, delicious food, interesting chats with visitors 'n locals = happiness!Special Features:
- Rabbit2Dined on 8/30/2014It was a very pleasant experience, the staff were very accomidating and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was excellentMChrichmondDined on 8/11/2014The waitress was very nice. Our friends was late, and she was very understandingSpecial Features:
- What a findThefrasDined on 7/26/2014Went here Saturday night for dinner with a date just before the fireworks....great service...fabulous food at a reasonable price..will definitely be back.Special Features:
- GaryDined on 7/15/2014Great food and service. Would recommend for dinner.Special Features:
- Dinner at Central BistroPoupsterDined on 7/12/2014Good wine and beer selection. Local sustainable produce predominates menu. Wide ranging choices. Mussels and frites were 7/10; good frites soggy chorizo; cod was good. Attentive service. Music is too loud and its hard to escape the perimeter speakers (except outside).Special Features:
- Decent EnoughKingVIPDined on 7/9/2014Good food in an interesting neighborhood. That's it.
- Best restaurant in VancouverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014We have eaten breakfast and dinner several times at Central Bistro and love their food. Great service as well. Being from out of town we finally had an opportunity to have dinner on Sunday evening when there was live entertainment. Kentish Steele and his band were fantastic. We are definitely coming back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very smallOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2014The restaurant was very small, the food was ok. Nothing bad about it, just wasn't my type of restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 90 reviews are from the Central Bistro reviews archive.
- Great DinnerStelziDined on 6/23/2014It was a great dinner with amazing styled Food. When we entered the Central Bistro it was like comming to friends! Extreme friendly and funny waitress!Special Features:
- Fun EveningMadameLBDined on 6/22/2014I visited Central Bistro Sunday evening to listen to the music. We enjoyed the show thoroughly and appreciated the fact that we were able to talk to each other during our meal. My friend especially enjoyed the Haida Gwaii salmon while I had the seafood pasta which was rich in seafood. The restaurant was bustling without being loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great foodRushedVIPDined on 6/14/2014We have been here multiple times and never have been disappointed. All the food was great with not an single detail missed or neglected.Special Features:
- love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014I didn't get the braised short ribs that I wanted cuz the wait was going to be too long, but I had the pork loin in it's place and was beyond satisfied. The food never disappoints and the service was fantastic...always courteous and available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Window pane needs to be sealed!148julesVIPDined on 4/24/2014Sitting at the table by the side door was very cold due to the window pane not sealed and an obvious draft blowing in!Special Features:
- Good food!TerryVIPDined on 4/18/2014We enjoyed our meal at Central Bistro and appreciated the competent service!Special Features:
- Favourite West End spotSeymourDined on 4/11/2014We have been to Central Bistro many times and have always enjoyed our meals. Great place for a nice casual dinner and then a walk on the seal wall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasure to go toyum2eatDined on 4/11/2014We have been there 3 times, and every time, it's never been a disappointment. We really like this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsRicknearlVIPDined on 3/29/2014My partner and I have been to Central Bistro about ten times now and every meal has been outstanding. Martinis, Mussels, salads, braised ribs,salmon, chicken all excellent choices. We definitely will be back and bring our out of town friends. Thank You CEntral. RicknEarl VancouverSpecial Features:
- Loved it!Halo37Dined on 3/29/2014The service was great - attentive but not intrusive. Food was delicious and plated attractively. The mussels in white wine broth were plump and the broth very tasty. The charcuterie platter was a tasty appetizer. Our main courses were the steak, the salmon and the short ribs - all delicious with raves from all - especially the short ribs! Great people watching! Music was a little loud. Prices were reasonable. We plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceAnjieDined on 3/28/2014We bought coupons through social shopper and booked for my birthday. It is a small place but very cozy, impressed with our salmon dinner. The martinis were great, we were seated at the back but close to the bathroom which was not a very good choice. They had to leave the door open and I was closer to the bathroom so it had it's downside. Choose a table in the middle or front. Good experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere and consistentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/27/2014Great atmosphere and consistently great food with stellar service. Had Heather serve us this time and it was an unforgettable dining experience for her engaging service, knowledge and fun personality. Always a pleasure! Will return very soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant neighbourhood bistroPedroVIPDined on 2/18/2014We enjoyed our first visit to the Central for the most part. The service was very pleasant, and the food was very nicely presented and quite delicious with some nice original touches. We both had their salmon entree and I would not hesitate to recommend it. The one drawback was the loud disco music being played; something a little more subtle would have been more appropriate to create a more relaxed and pleasurable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best yam fries I have everTerryVIPDined on 2/18/2014Best yam fries I have ever had! Great pecan pie also! Quality food, nicely prepared!
- Excellent diningtrasDined on 2/15/2014We had so much fun at this restaurant . It is cozy right downtown. A little gem. The food was excellent. Service was fast helpful and very polite. We would return for drinks and mussels !, so delicious.Special Features:
- 2.5 StarZaroffcaDined on 2/14/2014Went here in Valentine's Day with great expectations but the food did not deliver. The best part of the meal was the crispy cauliflower appetizer. The pulled pork was dry and the short ribs were bitter and very dry. Drinks were quite nice and the service was really good. Would I go back? No.
- Not GreatNorthShoreFoodieDined on 2/8/2014There were only three other couples there on a Saturday night. We were seated by a window with a terrible draft. We asked for 9-oz glasses of wine, and the waitress said they only have 5.5-oz glasses. I had the feeling that they try to cut corners wherever they can. The atmosphere was more of a low to mid end bar, with tables that don't seem all that clean. We ordered the backhand of god spareribs. We were told it is an amazing dish. I finished my first glass of wine and it sat empty for a good 20 minutes before the waitress offered to get me another. When we tasted our food, we thought the sauce was too sweet for the dish. All in all, the waitresses are not very professional, and I didn't enjoy the experience. Would not go back.
- great time had by allOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/3/2014Celebrated my daughters birthday (20 something) two people had the burger and raved, one had the steak and was very pleased, I had the salmon and other than a tad overcooked, very nice indeed. This place has a great; neighborhood, relaxed, friendly, artsy vibe that is really appealing.Our waitress was brilliant with just the right level of attentiveness. I'm not even close to being a foodie, so take my food comments with a grain of salt, but I did have each person text me the next day to thank me for choosing such a special place. Hope this helps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantGloriaVIPDined on 2/3/2014We're delighted to find this special restaurant -- delicious mussel, veggies, wine, martinis and a comfy atmosphere = happiness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great experiencegrandmafromtheburbsDined on 2/2/2014A great dinner out with good food and wine, excellent service and a small band providing good but not too loud music. We tried this bistro during dine out in Vancouver and will definitely return. We certainly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome little gem!meg03Dined on 1/31/2014We tried Central Bistro for the first time during dine out Vancouver and we were pleasantly surprised. We thought it was going to be good, but we didn't realize how good!! The service was great - we never had an empty drink (including water!), the food was delicious, and the ambience was wonderful - cozy and romantic, but energetic and fun as well. We would definitely go here again!! It's a perfect place for both a romantic dinner for two or a fun get-together with friends! A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A chill place with GREAT food!OriginalmouseDined on 1/28/2014Central is a fantastic place for dining and or even getting a beer or wine with friends. There is a chill vibe to the place complete with a fireplace in the back. Melissa and Colin are both unpretentious waiters that take care of you and offer helpful tips on dining choices. I went there during Dining Out and unlike a lot of places, there was the same amount of portions as their normal menu, and the service was fantastic as usual. I ordered the steak and frites and the portions are enough to share, although if you do, I would recommend a side of fries because they are so good you won't want to share! The desserts are house made and better than mom's, but shhh don't tell mom!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three Hour DinnerGloriaDined on 1/27/2014We arrived at 7:30pm and left at 10:20pm. It seemed like each course took 45 minutes to prepare. At first we thought they were just not used to the crowd, but the crowd was gone by the time we started our main course. The mussels were very tasty. Salad and bacon spread were "fine". The steak was cooked right, but lacked taste. The chicken was overcooked and dry. The lava cake was not a lava cake, but just a normal chocolate cake - lava cakes usually have liquid-y chocolate oozing out of it. The pudding resembled a carrot cake more than a pudding. Both desserts "tasted fine" though. They just need to be true to their descriptions.Special Features:
- disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014Came to celebrate a birthday, got the order wrong, and suggested unsatisfying options. Only after by company decided to switch meals with me and got through half the wrongly prep plate, did they offered reasonable solutions, but it was too late. In the end, I didnt eat anything and my company wasnt able to eat what he asked for. Would not come back. Terrible serviceSpecial Features:
- Nice little findCarolLDined on 1/22/2014Despite being in the neighbourhood, it's usually higher price point drives many West-Enders to other sources of dine out experiences. But it was surprisingly pleasant, especially with the Dine Out menu of $28. Great menu and staff in a quaint little setting. I highly encourage that they continue to participate in the Dine Out event next year.Special Features:
- Disappointedmysterydiner15Dined on 1/18/2014Waited a long time for entree and 20 minutes for desserts. The chicken for the entree was dry and the food got cold fast. The mussels I had for app was better than the rest of the meal.Special Features:
- Dine out gemFoodieBeeDined on 1/18/2014Visited Central Bistro during Dine Out Vancouver. The menu was excellent, the atmosphere was lovely and the server was friendly. There was only one vegetarian choice per course, but luckily all were delicious. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening at Central BistrobtjmillerDined on 1/17/2014Daughter, wife and I had a nice evening meal at Central Bistro. Food was very good. Portions were generous - able to split 2 desserts 3 ways! Service was great and very accommodating. We asked to be moved more into the back area as it was a bit quieter than in the front near the stand-up table area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a romantic meal!GloriaVIPDined on 1/15/2014The mussels are big and delicious. the veggies are beautifully flavored, and the wine is presented in an elegant glass. What an uplifiting experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/10/2014I had only been to the Central Bistro for brunch in the past and wasn't overly-impressed (wasn't bad, just nothing special). However, a friend gave me a gift card to the restaurant and I and three friends went for dinner. The food was very good, the service was great and, on a cold, rainy, typically Vancouver winter evening. the rather dark interior was perfect. Would definitely recommend this place.Special Features: