Central Bistro and Bar
1691 Central St
Denver, CO 80211Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Central Bistro and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centralbistrobar.com/
- Phone: (303) 477-4582
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wed-Fri 11am-2pm
Brunch: Saturday 10 am- 2pm & Sunday 10am-9pm
Dinner Tues-Sat 2pm-10pm Sunday til 9pm
Complimentary Valet Thursday-Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Selby
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Central Bistro and Bar
Opened in the summer of 2012 in Denver’s LoHi Neighborhood, Central is an American Bistro and Bar focusing on the fine presentation of dishes that draw upon the heritage of American classics. The 70-seat space is contemporary yet rustic in feel and has been carefully curated with both modern materials and vintage neighborhood finds. The patio and bar offer an unmatched view of the city's skyline, and the restaurant is open for lunch, brunch and dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Central Bistro and Bar - Best Restaurants in Highlands ›
Central Bistro and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (58)neighborhood gem (55)great for outdoor dining (52)scenic view (43)special occasion (22)good for groups (20)vibrant bar scene (17)hot spot (15)great for brunch (13)romantic (10)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Mountain HighCalexVIPDined on 11/22/2014Our waiter (and manager) Dave Mountain as well as the rest of the staff was fabulous. Potato leek soup was a highlight. Pork shoulder tasty but a tad dry. Bolognese delicious as well as ribeye. Butter cake dessert was very good, nicely presented and a reasonable size. We will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014The food was very flavorful and every dish we had was superb! The server was very attentive and friendly! I had tacos from the happy hour menu and they were great. I had the tuna for the main course and it was delicious!. My husband had the marlin and he's a real seafood snob and he was very impressed! He said it was cooked to perfection. Another person had the rib eye and it was a big piece of meat cooked to perfection again. She said it was excellent but she would have preferred if there were more veggies or salad included and less meat. We are looking forward to going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All-around Fantastic!Jenb12Dined on 11/15/2014This was our second time dining at Central, but my husband's first. Although he'll try most anything, he's not easily impressed by most restaurants. He ordered the Colorado whiskey flight and the foie gras. After a couple of bites, he said very enthusiastically that it was the best foie he had ever tasted. Of course, I tried it immediately - it was perfectly cooked, incredibly flavorful, and the texture was like butter. Outstanding. I ordered a glass of syrah and a pork shoulder with crispy pork jowl, cauliflower, spaetzle, and chestnuts. It did not disappoint! The dish was wonderfully savory, seasonal, and delicious all the way through. The couple we dined with split the Chef's Table menu (the one that frequently changes to incorporate local and seasonal ingredients). They continued to remark about how wonderful each dish was. I believe they had a creamy sunchoke soup, homemade ravioli stuffed with chevre and pumpkin, and chipotle braised scallops. I would definitely recommend Central to any of our friends. They are doing some pretty great stuff in the kitchen there. I think what I have enjoyed most about my two experiences at Central is that it offers a high-quality menu but feels like a cozy neighborhood restaurant. The staff is welcoming and the atmosphere is friendly and neighborhood-y.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/8/2014My wife and I met friends there and it was excellentSpecial Features:
- Great first visit to Central BistroDininginDenverDined on 11/7/2014This was our first time at central bistro and it did not dissapoint! We walked in with a reservation and were seated at the best seat in the house- at the window with that beautiful Denver skyline view! Our server was fantastic and gave us a free order of their best selling Brussel Sprouts to try since we had never been in before--they were fantastic. We loved our meals and drinks (pork shoulder and lamb bolognese) and received an added bonus of complimentary champagne and dessert since it was my boyfriends birthday. Our server was so kind and knowledgeable and made this a very special night for us. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks Dave!!TheFoxAndTheGrapesDined on 11/4/2014Every single plate that hit our table was taken away with not a single crumb left.. Pomegranates with a ribeye? Don't mind if I do! All of the dishes were perfectly proportioned and Dave made our night more than perfect. We could not stop raving about his great service, and centrals amazing food. Thank you so much! We loved it :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchsull8146VIPDined on 11/2/2014We had a party of 5 and a baby with us! It was the perfect place! It wasn't too busy or too loud! The pork brunch dish was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Spot!ChloeVIPDined on 11/1/2014This was such a great dining experience - great food and great service. Could be our new favorite restaurant!Special Features:
- suprisedhard1toimpressDined on 11/1/2014My wife and I need a place to eat before the ballet. We were on a tight time schedule and they meet our needs with quick services without rushing us. The Pork Jowl was very good any my wife ordered a Squash dish that was delicious. Their menu is always changing so we hope to try new dishes on our next visit.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceSusanDined on 10/25/2014Really great find. We enjoyed the food and the space is really beautiful. We also thought that the service was great...good recommendations, very attentive and very friendly. We will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sure thingHelenDined on 10/25/2014It was my 2nd time visiting Central Bistro and Bar. Again, I was highly pleased with so many things. Service was prompt, friendly & patient. I ordered the lamb bolognese, delicious and rich but not heavy. The ambience is wonderful - plenty of personal dining space compared to other places where you're nearly in your neighbor's lap. The outdoor patio and view is knockout. Wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceAKXYDined on 10/25/2014Last minute plans for dinner brought us to Central Bistro and my wife and I were thrilled with the service and quality of food. We are major foodies and we absolutely loved this neighborhood gem. We'll be back! Thank you.Special Features:
- Excellent in all aspectsJenb12Dined on 10/19/2014My friends and I dined here just a few nights ago. We are somewhat-adventurous eaters and had a 3-year-old in tow. Central's menu is adventurous, yet offers enough options to please many pallets. The charcuterie plate included the best blue cheese I've ever tasted, as well as some novel options - pickled olives, thinly sliced cured lamb sausage, and hazelnuts. We subsequently ordered brussel sprouts sauteed with bacon and shallots, tempura shrimp tacos wearing a thin layer of guacamole, and classic mussels and frites. Our desserts were appropriately seasonal and large enough for sharing a few bites or savoring ourselves. The children's menu offered some options that were kid-friendly but also nutritious. Central is a neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- Succulent experienceHungryDiverDined on 10/18/2014I took my wife on a date to Central Bistro and Bar. Our table was ready upon arrival and we were seated by a pleasant hostess. Throughout the evening the service was appropriately attentive. I told our waiter that we were not in a hurry. He took the cue and spaced the food's arrival allowing us to savor the experience. After tasty cocktails we enjoyed the Chef's Table, a four-course meal that started with a turnip salad which included tempura style sage. Course two: an enormous, perfectly seared scallop. Course three: roasted duck breast with polenta, grilled apple, and a decadent bourbon cherry sauce. Course four: a rich vanilla ice cream with a genuine ginger cookie floating on a cloud of pumpkin mousse. Perfect night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal, but.........OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014My scallops and the tuna tartar appetizer were great and so was the Kentuckian drink , but my wife's marlin was just ok. I'd love to rate Central Bistro higher, but our server seemed distracted all night. The restaurant wasn't full, although the bar seemed pretty packed with people, and yet our waiter was not attentive and even forgot to bring my cappuccino with dessert. Overall not a terrible experience and we will go again, but I expect more for a $135 dinner before tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyjanetgDined on 10/11/2014Loud Could not talk to my husband across the table. Food was not good. Flavors were too strongSpecial Features:
- Outstanding!EatingDenverVIPDined on 10/10/2014We have become a regular at Central Bistro. Food is creatively prepared and always of fine quality. Atmosphere is fashionable and contemporary yet always friendly. Chef Matt, manager Lennie and owner Isaiah make a team that knows how to offer a fine dining experience. Beverage-themed special dining events are great and highly recommended as are their recently introduced prefix dinners. Central Bistro and Bar is one of the best restaurants in Denver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Selby still rocks!Stephen5280VIPDined on 9/28/2014Matt Selby seems to have a magic touch everywhere he goes, and he's doing it again. For drinks, happy hour, dinner, or brunch. Happening bar scene; great views (of the city, and of the attractive locals from LoHi). Apps like the Baja Shrimp Tacos and the Caramelized Brussels Sprouts are great for sharing; the Seared Scallops w/Crispy Potato & Pork Belly Hash are heavenly. Brunch starts with bottomless mimosas; you can feel your arteries begin to harden as you enjoy the Maple Bourbon French Toast w/Candied Bacon, but its worth it. Ribeye Benedict is unique and tasty. Patio is perfect (and packed) evenings; just make sure you get a shaded table if you're there for brunch - it gets HOT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnbelievableHoustonEatsVIPDined on 9/27/2014Absolutely everything we had here was beyond delicious. Just perfect - even the "iffy" stuff we chose, like spaghetti squash and kale. Go to this restaurant - try as many things as you can and prepare to have your taste buds delighted. Service was equal to the food. The only possible improvements we might be able to make would be to have a higher quality California chardonnay (such as Newton Unfiltered or Rombauer) and French Champagne such as Tattinger or Pillipe Prie added to the By the Glass list. This place should have outposts - we loved it and will return any time we're in Denver.Special Features:
- Lunch TreatSeekingFoodVIPDined on 9/21/2014We were expecting a simple lunch on Sunday. Instead, we had a wonderful foodie dining experience. Tremendous kudos to the staff that were attentive and knowledgeable and especially the chef with daring brunch menu items that are absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/21/2014The food was amazing! Service is always good. The patio is perfect.Special Features:
- Won't go backdineoutalotVIPDined on 9/17/2014We were very disappointed in the prices and limited menu. If we hadn't had an invited guest my husband and I would not have stayed after looking at the menu. The portions were very small considering the prices. We were sorry to have tried a new place with this guest. I think the reviews I read were misleading. We won't go back.
- Love Central bistroMmmmmVIPDined on 9/6/2014I been at central bistro several times & it has always been amazing! The food is delicious Great drinks and great service! Even the vale guys was sweetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Food was very good and the skyline view of downtown was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matt Selby is back on top!DiningoutindenverDined on 8/27/2014Had a wonderful restaurant week experience. Food was scrumptious. Service was attentive. Splurge and get the meat and cheese boards - worth every penny. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice all-around neighborhood placeMarcVIPDined on 8/27/2014Excellent food and service and, in particular, a marvelous bar overlooking the downtown skyline with a still-unobstructed view.Special Features:
- Hard To Tell... must come backDaveDined on 8/26/2014Since it was Restaurant Week we had the prix fixe dinners. Mostly good food but very small portions. Shoulder Steak not so good, other dinners not memorable. 0 out of 6 liked the drink special. Great whiskey choices but pretty small pour. Friendly, attentive greeting. Competent server able to answer questions well. Just have to try again and see if regular dinner night yields a better showing. Acoustics made hearing conversation difficult.Special Features:
- DRW + Central Bistro = HookedCornerVisitDined on 8/24/2014I ate here on 8/24 for Denver Restaurant Week. I ordered the "shrimp salad" but what came out was a delicious watermelon gaspacho with fresh shrimp with buttered toast rounds. My friend also ordered it and we tried not to sip the rest of the gaspacho out of the bowl! For dinner I ordered the shoulder steak. I love a good steak and it was cooked perfectly. Had a sweet char on it too. Again, I didn't lick the plate, but I ate all of mine and the rest of my friends steak. Dessert was the "chocolate tart'; a shortbread cookie with chocolate mousse and gelato. No shame, I licked that plate clean! And everyone ate theirs too so I couldn't steal anymore! Overall, the view is great, service is on par, food is fantastic, and I'm totally going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Incredible!LynneVIPDined on 8/24/2014Both the service and the food were simply amazing. We brought friends who were visiting from California, and they said it was one of the best restaurants they had ever been to. Their service staff were all incredibly knowledgeable about the food being served, and they did a fantastic job of bringing small plates so the food was always hot, and the table never empty.Special Features:
- Good-not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Had brunch on a Sunday--made reservations, but didn't need them as we got right in. The food was interesting, but my husband didn't like the lack of variety on the menu. It was a little smaller with regard to variety. Overall, a nice experience--nothing WOW.Special Features:
- great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great experience here - the food was spectacular, the service was second to none and the view of downtown from the patio is gorgeous. We had someone in our party who has dietary restrictions and the waiter and chef were more than accommodating. Would definitely recommend highly!Special Features:
- Great deal for Restaurant WeeknotacriticDined on 8/23/2014We went for dinner during the summer 52.80 Restaurant Week and sat on the patio. The food, atmosphere and service were all great. I had the heirloom tomato salad, spaghetti squash entree, peach dessert, and my husband had the shrimp salad, steak entree, chocolate tart dessert. We both loved every bit of our meals, and for $30/person the portion sizes seemed just right (this was our first time at Central, so not sure how/if the portion sizes vary for their "regular" menu). We left satisfied but not stuffed. The waitstaff were friendly and attentive and there was a mix of hip youngsters, middle-aged folks, and seniors. No one seemed out of place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Enjoyed our evening out, but the Easter and Mother's Day buffets have quickly become our family traditions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchyLiflksgdDined on 8/22/2014We split the tomato salad, the asparagus salad, Baja shrimp tacos, prime rib sandwich & bourbon chocolate bread pudding. All were outstanding. We especially loved the tomato salad. Great service too! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dare NightDenverEaterVIPDined on 8/13/2014CENTRAL is a great date place. Upscale feel but casual enough to look like you aren't trying to hard. Great food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Views, and ServiceLoHiFoodieDined on 8/12/2014Scallop dish was PERFECT, as was the pork chop with curry fried rice. Our waiter was phenomenal and we had a great evening. The outside patio was well kept, had a killer view, and the atmosphere created by the decor and flowers was ideal.Special Features:
- Great service and great food!SuburbanfoodiesDined on 8/2/2014Everything that we tried was amazing - from the house-made tonic to the perfectly cooked duck breast! We really enjoyed the clam pizzetti that we got as an appetizer. It was light and flavorful. Our server felt the need to apologize for the wait for the entree (not necessary at all, by the way! We didn't even notice the big group ahead of us), so he brought us a few amuse-bouches of some sort of cured meat. When our entrees arrived, we were not disappointed. The crispy chicken and the duck breast were both very juicy and delicious. We ended the meal by clearing our palates with a tasty lime basil sorbet. We will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meal in a scenic setting.trvl2mchDined on 8/1/2014The halibut was delicious and my son said his pork chop was very good. The view of downtown Denver is great, but parking in that area is a little sparse. Some good beer selections on the menu, although many are rather high ABV, but they were noted as such on the menu.Special Features:
- The following 232 reviews are from the Central Bistro and Bar reviews archive.
- GREAT SERVICE!merkyraeDined on 7/26/2014I recently brought my daughter here on her first visit to Denver. It was one of the few places with a view! I asked for a table with a view and they accommodated and made us feel special. The service was outstanding form the hostess to the cocktail waitress. The food was good and arrived very quickly. I would highly recommend Central. It was raining but the patio looked fun! Looks like a great place for drinks too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceSkierDined on 7/18/2014Second time at Central - great food and reasonably priced. Go if you like whiskey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.