Central Bistro and Bar
1691 Central St
Denver, CO 80211Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Central Bistro and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.centralbistrobar.com/
- Phone: 3034774582x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wed-Fri 11am-2pm
Brunch: Saturday 10 am- 2pm & Sunday 10am-9pm
Dinner Tues-Sat 2pm-10pm Sunday til 9pm
Complimentary Valet Thursday-Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Selby
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We love a good party and are happy to accommodate large groups as well as partial and full buyouts. We will work with you to create a great menu and a memorable experience for your corporate, family or special event.
- Private Party Contact: Lennie Holt 303-477-4582x
A word from Central Bistro and Bar
Opened in the summer of 2012 in Denver’s LoHi Neighborhood, Central is an American Bistro and Bar focusing on the fine presentation of dishes that draw upon the heritage of American classics. The 70-seat space is contemporary yet rustic in feel and has been carefully curated with both modern materials and vintage neighborhood finds. The patio and bar offer an unmatched view of the city's skyline, and the restaurant is open for lunch, brunch and dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Central Bistro and Bar - Best Restaurants in Highlands ›
Central Bistro and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (57)great for outdoor dining (57)neighborhood gem (51)scenic view (46)special occasion (20)hot spot (18)great for brunch (16)good for groups (16)vibrant bar scene (15)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (9)romantic (9)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Excellent in all aspectsJenb12Dined on 10/19/2014My friends and I dined here just a few nights ago. We are somewhat-adventurous eaters and had a 3-year-old in tow. Central's menu is adventurous, yet offers enough options to please many pallets. The charcuterie plate included the best blue cheese I've ever tasted, as well as some novel options - pickled olives, thinly sliced cured lamb sausage, and hazelnuts. We subsequently ordered brussel sprouts sauteed with bacon and shallots, tempura shrimp tacos wearing a thin layer of guacamole, and classic mussels and frites. Our desserts were appropriately seasonal and large enough for sharing a few bites or savoring ourselves. The children's menu offered some options that were kid-friendly but also nutritious. Central is a neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- Succulent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014I took my wife on a date to Central Bistro and Bar. Our table was ready upon arrival and we were seated by a pleasant hostess. Throughout the evening the service was appropriately attentive. I told our waiter that we were not in a hurry. He took the cue and spaced the food's arrival allowing us to savor the experience. After tasty cocktails we enjoyed the Chef's Table, a four-course meal that started with a turnip salad which included tempura style sage. Course two: an enormous, perfectly seared scallop. Course three: roasted duck breast with polenta, grilled apple, and a decadent bourbon cherry sauce. Course four: a rich vanilla ice cream with a genuine ginger cookie floating on a cloud of pumpkin mousse. Perfect night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal, but.........OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014My scallops and the tuna tartar appetizer were great and so was the Kentuckian drink , but my wife's marlin was just ok. I'd love to rate Central Bistro higher, but our server seemed distracted all night. The restaurant wasn't full, although the bar seemed pretty packed with people, and yet our waiter was not attentive and even forgot to bring my cappuccino with dessert. Overall not a terrible experience and we will go again, but I expect more for a $135 dinner before tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!EatingDenverVIPDined on 10/10/2014We have become a regular at Central Bistro. Food is creatively prepared and always of fine quality. Atmosphere is fashionable and contemporary yet always friendly. Chef Matt, manager Lennie and owner Isaiah make a team that knows how to offer a fine dining experience. Beverage-themed special dining events are great and highly recommended as are their recently introduced prefix dinners. Central Bistro and Bar is one of the best restaurants in Denver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Selby still rocks!Stephen5280VIPDined on 9/28/2014Matt Selby seems to have a magic touch everywhere he goes, and he's doing it again. For drinks, happy hour, dinner, or brunch. Happening bar scene; great views (of the city, and of the attractive locals from LoHi). Apps like the Baja Shrimp Tacos and the Caramelized Brussels Sprouts are great for sharing; the Seared Scallops w/Crispy Potato & Pork Belly Hash are heavenly. Brunch starts with bottomless mimosas; you can feel your arteries begin to harden as you enjoy the Maple Bourbon French Toast w/Candied Bacon, but its worth it. Ribeye Benedict is unique and tasty. Patio is perfect (and packed) evenings; just make sure you get a shaded table if you're there for brunch - it gets HOT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnbelievableHoustonEatsVIPDined on 9/27/2014Absolutely everything we had here was beyond delicious. Just perfect - even the "iffy" stuff we chose, like spaghetti squash and kale. Go to this restaurant - try as many things as you can and prepare to have your taste buds delighted. Service was equal to the food. The only possible improvements we might be able to make would be to have a higher quality California chardonnay (such as Newton Unfiltered or Rombauer) and French Champagne such as Tattinger or Pillipe Prie added to the By the Glass list. This place should have outposts - we loved it and will return any time we're in Denver.Special Features:
- Lunch TreatSeekingFoodVIPDined on 9/21/2014We were expecting a simple lunch on Sunday. Instead, we had a wonderful foodie dining experience. Tremendous kudos to the staff that were attentive and knowledgeable and especially the chef with daring brunch menu items that are absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/21/2014The food was amazing! Service is always good. The patio is perfect.Special Features:
- Won't go backdineoutalotVIPDined on 9/17/2014We were very disappointed in the prices and limited menu. If we hadn't had an invited guest my husband and I would not have stayed after looking at the menu. The portions were very small considering the prices. We were sorry to have tried a new place with this guest. I think the reviews I read were misleading. We won't go back.
- Love Central bistroMmmmmVIPDined on 9/6/2014I been at central bistro several times & it has always been amazing! The food is delicious Great drinks and great service! Even the vale guys was sweetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Food was very good and the skyline view of downtown was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matt Selby is back on top!DiningoutindenverDined on 8/27/2014Had a wonderful restaurant week experience. Food was scrumptious. Service was attentive. Splurge and get the meat and cheese boards - worth every penny. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice all-around neighborhood placeMarcVIPDined on 8/27/2014Excellent food and service and, in particular, a marvelous bar overlooking the downtown skyline with a still-unobstructed view.Special Features:
- Hard To Tell... must come backDaveDined on 8/26/2014Since it was Restaurant Week we had the prix fixe dinners. Mostly good food but very small portions. Shoulder Steak not so good, other dinners not memorable. 0 out of 6 liked the drink special. Great whiskey choices but pretty small pour. Friendly, attentive greeting. Competent server able to answer questions well. Just have to try again and see if regular dinner night yields a better showing. Acoustics made hearing conversation difficult.Special Features:
- DRW + Central Bistro = HookedCornerVisitDined on 8/24/2014I ate here on 8/24 for Denver Restaurant Week. I ordered the "shrimp salad" but what came out was a delicious watermelon gaspacho with fresh shrimp with buttered toast rounds. My friend also ordered it and we tried not to sip the rest of the gaspacho out of the bowl! For dinner I ordered the shoulder steak. I love a good steak and it was cooked perfectly. Had a sweet char on it too. Again, I didn't lick the plate, but I ate all of mine and the rest of my friends steak. Dessert was the "chocolate tart'; a shortbread cookie with chocolate mousse and gelato. No shame, I licked that plate clean! And everyone ate theirs too so I couldn't steal anymore! Overall, the view is great, service is on par, food is fantastic, and I'm totally going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Incredible!LynneVIPDined on 8/24/2014Both the service and the food were simply amazing. We brought friends who were visiting from California, and they said it was one of the best restaurants they had ever been to. Their service staff were all incredibly knowledgeable about the food being served, and they did a fantastic job of bringing small plates so the food was always hot, and the table never empty.Special Features:
- Good-not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Had brunch on a Sunday--made reservations, but didn't need them as we got right in. The food was interesting, but my husband didn't like the lack of variety on the menu. It was a little smaller with regard to variety. Overall, a nice experience--nothing WOW.Special Features:
- great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We had a great experience here - the food was spectacular, the service was second to none and the view of downtown from the patio is gorgeous. We had someone in our party who has dietary restrictions and the waiter and chef were more than accommodating. Would definitely recommend highly!Special Features:
- Great deal for Restaurant WeeknotacriticDined on 8/23/2014We went for dinner during the summer 52.80 Restaurant Week and sat on the patio. The food, atmosphere and service were all great. I had the heirloom tomato salad, spaghetti squash entree, peach dessert, and my husband had the shrimp salad, steak entree, chocolate tart dessert. We both loved every bit of our meals, and for $30/person the portion sizes seemed just right (this was our first time at Central, so not sure how/if the portion sizes vary for their "regular" menu). We left satisfied but not stuffed. The waitstaff were friendly and attentive and there was a mix of hip youngsters, middle-aged folks, and seniors. No one seemed out of place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Enjoyed our evening out, but the Easter and Mother's Day buffets have quickly become our family traditions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchyLiflksgdDined on 8/22/2014We split the tomato salad, the asparagus salad, Baja shrimp tacos, prime rib sandwich & bourbon chocolate bread pudding. All were outstanding. We especially loved the tomato salad. Great service too! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dare NightDenverEaterVIPDined on 8/13/2014CENTRAL is a great date place. Upscale feel but casual enough to look like you aren't trying to hard. Great food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Views, and ServiceLoHiFoodieDined on 8/12/2014Scallop dish was PERFECT, as was the pork chop with curry fried rice. Our waiter was phenomenal and we had a great evening. The outside patio was well kept, had a killer view, and the atmosphere created by the decor and flowers was ideal.Special Features:
- Great service and great food!SuburbanfoodiesDined on 8/2/2014Everything that we tried was amazing - from the house-made tonic to the perfectly cooked duck breast! We really enjoyed the clam pizzetti that we got as an appetizer. It was light and flavorful. Our server felt the need to apologize for the wait for the entree (not necessary at all, by the way! We didn't even notice the big group ahead of us), so he brought us a few amuse-bouches of some sort of cured meat. When our entrees arrived, we were not disappointed. The crispy chicken and the duck breast were both very juicy and delicious. We ended the meal by clearing our palates with a tasty lime basil sorbet. We will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meal in a scenic setting.trvl2mchDined on 8/1/2014The halibut was delicious and my son said his pork chop was very good. The view of downtown Denver is great, but parking in that area is a little sparse. Some good beer selections on the menu, although many are rather high ABV, but they were noted as such on the menu.Special Features:
- GREAT SERVICE!merkyraeDined on 7/26/2014I recently brought my daughter here on her first visit to Denver. It was one of the few places with a view! I asked for a table with a view and they accommodated and made us feel special. The service was outstanding form the hostess to the cocktail waitress. The food was good and arrived very quickly. I would highly recommend Central. It was raining but the patio looked fun! Looks like a great place for drinks too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceSkierDined on 7/18/2014Second time at Central - great food and reasonably priced. Go if you like whiskey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- datenightdiningDined on 7/18/2014We had an outstanding dinner with great food and drinks. Our waiter was attentive and gave us good recommendations. We enjoyed dining outside on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, slow nightmontageVIPDined on 7/16/2014we love this place, but Wednesday night was tough with heavy rains and a crowed room. the server was slow. bread came very late, waters were not refilled, and the food delivery was slow. food was great, but the crew was just a little off. none the less we will returnSpecial Features:
- Nice!DavidDined on 7/15/2014We went here because we bought a coupon through Denver Daily Deals for a whiskey tasting event. The whiskey list was fairly large, as was the wine list. We got a cheese and meat plate to nibble at while we sampled a couple different whiskey flights. The meat/cheese plate was very good, complete with fruit, bread, crackers, stone ground mustard, and onion jam, among other things. Overall it was a very enjoyable evening. The coupon made it an excellent value but I would definitely return here again even without a coupon. The food, service, and ambiance were all good.Special Features:
- Great patio and great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014Lovely evening on the patio. Wonderful dinners for all three of us (the lamb, the steak with chimichurri sauce and the mussels). The Brussels sprouts alone were worth the trip. The carrot soup needed a little more pizazz, but was good.Special Features:
- Great Date SpotNickDined on 7/11/2014Good food, drinks, and atmosphere. Amazing view of Denver and a fun bright place to have a date!Special Features:
- Fantastic Stafftombobbi1Dined on 7/5/2014We arrived for our 1pm brunch. We were greeted with a smile. Had wonderful service. Great food. Loved the whiskey flights. Especially enjoyed the time the bartender took in explaining each individual whiskey. Our waitress was exceptional and very patient with all of our questions. We never felt pressured to leave so we had a very casual dining experience. After our meal we asked to see the dinner menu and discussed some of the options with our waitress. We felt that the prices and options were very good and it is our plan to return to Central Street Bistro to try out their dinner menu. Even though we had our brunch on the patio, we did check out the inside dining area also. It was very nice. Even the washrooms were very clean & maintainedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StephVIPDined on 7/4/2014On the 4th of July no less, it was super busy and yet the staff was outstanding. We made our reservations too late to get patio seating but we were given a table right by the window overlooking downtown. Saw dueling fireworks from Coors field, Elitches and Mile Hi. And, of course the food was perfect as you would expect from a Matt Selby operation. A totally terrific experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- phenominal experiencekym2Dined on 7/4/2014My out of town guests and I were entertained not only by the band but also our waiter. He had great suggestions on beverages and food. He made sure we enjoyed out entire dinning experience. We will absolutely be making this a repeat event.Special Features:
- Superb PlacefarmboyDined on 7/3/2014We were looking for a place with an outside patio so we could observe downtown and the fireworks at the baseball park. Not only is Central Bistro an excellent place with a view of downtown, the food is exceptional, especially the scallops and the mac and cheese. The topper of the evening was the desserts, notably the sweet corn ice cream. After four days the dining experience still lingers in our minds as one-of-a-kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Favorite PlaceAlieEatsVIPDined on 7/3/2014I've been to Central Bistro and Bar several times now. The menu is eclectic and delicious (never a bad dish)! Service was fantastic. The sweet corn ice cream was amazing - highly recommended.Special Features:
- montageVIPDined on 6/29/2014always charming. a wonderful warm team, a great room, and awesome food. this was my first sunday brunch and was just perfect.Special Features:
- This is the placeCharcutermanDined on 6/27/2014Central Bistro has the best brusselsprouts dish in Denver. Period. Also, everything else they have on the menu is delicious and unique. They also have a notable whiskey list and a lot of fun cocktails you can't find anywhere else.Special Features:
- The following 216 reviews are from the Central Bistro and Bar reviews archive.
- Drinks come out after foodAllisonDined on 6/20/2014We didn't get our drinks till after we finished our foodSpecial Features: