Oakland, CA 94607Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.centouno101.com/
- Phone: 5104335030x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: There is a private room that seats up to 20 people with a closure for privacy. In this room there is a also a HD TV monitor that has the ability to connect to a laptop for business meeting and presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Bob Hemmer 5104335030x
- Cross Street: Embacadero
- Public Transit: BART 12th Street/Civic Center stop. Catch the free shuttle to Jack London Square and get off at Jack London Square across the street or get off at 3rd street and walk west 2 blocks.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: While there is ample street parking, there is also a paid parking garage directly across the street in Jack London Square.
A word from Centouno
A rustic yet homey feel that is evocative of eating in Nonna's kitchen back in Parma, Italy.Continued
The food is simple and delicious.
The food is simple and delicious.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Centouno reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (8)good for groups (7)kid-friendly (6)fit for foodies (5)romantic (2)special occasion (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014We didn't eat there because our reservation was for 4:30pm and you weren't even open.
- the food and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We ordered the "golden"scallops that were far from golden and should have been named foggy scallops because when they got to our table they were grey and full of salt. The rack of lamb was semi-warm and dripping with water (guess they didn't defrost it in time). Ordered a Peroni off the tap and it was barely cold, more like room temperature. This place is totally overpriced and whoever gave it a good review was either drunk or an employee.
- MehellenVIPDined on 7/27/2014The employees were really nice. They were also short staffed and struggling. I've been there, felt bad for them, but still they brought the wrong wine twice. I wanted to tell her to write things down. It may take a minute but speeds things up in the long run as you're not doubling back over things you messed up. The food was just OK. Except the tiramisu was sour... pretty sure the cream it was made with had gone off. The place is cute and I like the location, but we definitely won't be back.Special Features:
- A great findmaryutschkaDined on 7/23/2014Our second visit to the charming Centouno was as good as the first. Relaxed atmosphere, terrific service, like home style italian cooking only better. We all appreciated the quiet, relaxing environment. Chef Pablo has it right: simpler the better, less types of ingredients to allow the primary favors to rise. House made tagliatelle with mushrooms was outstanding!!! We were surprised this place hasn't been discovered by the foodies yet, but not for long!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Jack London RestaurantBeemorVIPDined on 7/11/2014First visit to this restaurant was great. Went back the next month and it was still terrific. Sent others there who also loved it. Food is delicious and really tasted authentic Italian. Service is great: they (more than one) greet you as you enter the restaurant, make you feel welcomed. Special treat was bread with olive oil and a special fig glaze. Terrific. On both visits, one of us ordered the Tagliatelle Alla Bolognese because it was so delicious. They now have pizza and calzone on the menu so we tried the special: salmon and asparagus. Different but delicious combination! I got a glass of the Barbera Piemonte wine both times; wonderful. Do give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceRajMaanDined on 7/4/20147 in the party. Appetizers were very good. Decent wine selection. Our table wine was quite good once we let it breathe. The Salmon was moist and met my expectations. The side of potatoes was excellent as were the asparagus. The owner- Fabio, was a great conversationalist and mad us feel at home. This more than compensates for a very bland chicken dish and a penne arrabiata that was 'chili flakes hit' instead of being flavorful. Deserts-bread pudding and Panna cotta did not hit the mark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2014Fabio and his team did another outstanding job!! Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always WonderfulSherryKDined on 6/21/2014I've eaten here several times and was pleased to see some welcome changes on the menu. This is true Italian and the meals were quite heavy so they've added some items to balance it out. I had Chicken Marsala and it was fabulous. They're also getting ready to make pizza which will be another welcome addition. However on this particular night there were only two chefs, the restaurant was full and there were all these new items so it took a while to get our meal. Hopefully they'll have these quirks worked out as it's a great place and I love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedfoodluver04Dined on 6/15/2014Went here to celebrate father's day. Food is not that good. I had carbonara and their pasta is a bit undercook. Small portion compare to price. They don't refill your ice tea unless you ask for it. They didn't give us their complimentary bread till we asked for it when our main entree served after. We had dessert and needed utensils, they had to get our forks from the dishwasher...we had to wait for about 10min to eat our dessert. What kind of 4 star restaurant serve food without utensils??? Server is very intimidating...don't smile and don't mention their special at all till we overheard the other table asked if they have any special.Special Features:
- A better meal this time!jaz2020VIPDined on 6/3/2014Our 2nd visit was much better than our first. The Parma specialty, Torta Fritta con Salumi, is a must-order. We got a 2nd basket of this wonderful fried flatbread. The artichoke bigne also great, with a fab dip that goes well with the torta & salame. Pork osso buco was massive and delicious. Tagliatelle Bolognese was very good. Eggplant Parmesan was good but tomato sauce was unseasoned and sour, tasted as if they just opened a can and poured it over. Servings are well-sized; pick what chef Fabio Dalle Vacche does best and you'll be wowed. Service is cheerful and enthusiastic, a real delight in this lovely restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Italian spotBayAreadining607Dined on 5/31/2014This is a good place for Italian food near Jack London Square. There are some unusual items for an Italian place, but there's nothing wrong with that. I had sliders with fries as an appetizer and the spaghetti amatriciana for the main course. Both were very good. My friend had the osso bucco which he liked very much. For dessert, I had apple slices fried in batter with gelato. It was good, but I liked the first two courses better. The only other criticism I can think of is that the menu is not as creative as Desco, another Italian place nearby. Still, it's a good find and I would return.Special Features:
- Last minute decision was a good oneSRF87VIPDined on 5/31/2014We were staying at a hotel nearby and found this place on yelp. Great pick! The food and service were both great. I recommend trying the tomato soup! Very memorable.Special Features:
- bkyun84Dined on 5/26/2014The food in itself is tasty enough, but one may want to order an appetizer if you want to leave feeling full. I had the cabonara and it was standard. Regarding service, our server probably could've done a better job following up on clearing out our table. We ordered dessert and when it arrived there were still used knives and forks on the table. They stayed there for the remainder until we left as well. They brought over new plates to share the desserts which was good, but not any new silverware to eat with. We also almost got an appetizer that we did not order. Atmosphere is nice and low key. A good date spot most likely for those in the area. Definitely a step in the right direction, maybe just a few hiccups here and there...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 35 reviews are from the Centouno reviews archive.
- best italian food in townmerlotDined on 5/17/2014Excellent food, especially the torta fritta con salumi and sorbetto al limone. We learned from the owner that northern italian dishes other than pesto do not have garlic. Each dish prepared from scratch.Special Features:
- No ShowGRK1Dined on 5/11/2014When we arrived at the restaurant, there was a sign on the door that due to an emergency, they closed the restaurant.
- Pleasantly surprisedBeemorVIPDined on 5/10/2014We like to try new restaurants and Centouno on Open Table looked like a good choice. Three of us had dinner there a few nights ago and we were all very pleased with the food and the service. We had the Torta Frita as people had mentioned how good it was. I think that was our only disappointment. Felt the salami was cut too thick and fried bread just ok, but the proscuito was perfect. Caesar salad and Arugula salad were shared and very good. Two of us had Tagliatelle Alla Bolognese which they loved and I had the Coteletta Impanata which was excellent (large portion; I had to take about half home). We ordered dessert to share and tried the special fried apple rings: delicious - topped off by excellent cappuccinos. We will return.Special Features:
- Jack London Square gemdbwonDined on 5/7/2014I would put this authentic Italian food into your rotation and make it a definite option when dining in Jack London Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - limited # of menu itemsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/28/2014It was tasty but very pricy for what you got. Pasta, salad, and a glass of wine for $40.00.Special Features:
- too ecclecticBogie911VIPDined on 4/26/2014This restaurant is trying to hard to be hip. The music assaulted us upon entering at 6:00pm on a recent Sat night. On beverages, the prosecco was served in cheap read wine glasses, not flutes, the first bottle of wine was cork but the espressos were hot. The salads and dessert were the best part of the meal, I had the arugula with parmesan cheese and my partner had the house salad with apple. The homemade torta del Nonna was to die for the skip the ganache covered profiteroles, just too much. I had one of the specials of the evening, which was Saltimbocca with prosciutto & sage. Instead of veal, they used chicken and served it over onions and bell peppers. bland. The osso buco was marginally better.Special Features:
- Lovely little restaurant!jaz2020VIPDined on 4/21/2014Centouno is possibly the prettiest DR in the entire city, even beating Desco. Chef Valle (formerly Borgo) has a good-sized menu, not adventurous but solid. If you starved to death at Borgo, don't worry; you'll get enough food to satisfy here. Tomato-bread soup was simple but excellent. Caesar was mild but good, well-balanced. Carbonara was fine, with proper Italian al dente, not the stupid CA half-raw crunchiness. Fish special of salmon with mango salsa?? was good but not creative. Sauteed mushrooms side also good, not great. Profiteroles big enough to share; but custard was oddly gluey, like cornstarch was added. But overall: nicer DR and cheerful waitstaff give this the edge over Lungomare across the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Centouno riceva cento percento.gyellinDined on 4/19/2014Fabio and his staff have done a great job. The restaurant has a cosy feel with its leather and wood booths in the first half of the space opposite the long bar. The food was great. I recommend the calamari (the yellow sauce is wonderful) and the signature torta fritta. For pastas, we had the carbonara and the bolognese - both were fantastic. The ossobucco was okay and they had a special for the evening of trout, which was excellent. Finally, the wait staff were great - both welcoming, knowledgable and not fussy. Bravo Tommaso. I look forward to our next time at Centouno.
- WHAT A GEMPickySicilianDined on 4/6/2014Centuono was a fabulous surprise. I'm a very picky Sicilian and I was blown away by this restaurant. The Torta Fritta w/salumi was FABULOUS. Perfectly salted and delicious. The Caesar was great, Caponata Sicilian delicious and when I saw Mama made the sauce with San Marzano tomatoes I had to have the Penne. EVERYTHING WAS SO GOOD, I wanted to skip the concert and try everything on this menu. Sara our waitress was informative and helpful and Fabio the owner was fun and a great guy. Met "Mama" but sadly my Italian is limited but Fabio told her how much I enjoyed it all. I have been talking about this place since I left and promise to return again and again and again. DO NOT MISS THIS GEM.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love!LauraDined on 3/29/2014A new place for me to go to. Oakland is the middle place to meet for me and my girlfriends. This place is a must the next time you are in Jack London Square. The food was great. The atmosphere was nice. The waitress was very helpful and attentive. They let us hang out in the restaurant while we talked and waited out the rain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A slow Tuesday nightBzerkeleyVIPDined on 3/25/2014The atmosphere here is nice and the staff is very attentive and desirous of pleasing. Of course, it was a slow night so they didn't have too many patrons. The food is spotty but good enough for the price. The fried dough is a highlight as were the desserts. The fresh pasta was good and the sauce average. This place would do better with a full bar. We'll try it again to see if it can find a spot in our rotation.
- Service was very welcoming,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/13/2014Service was very welcoming, but the food (other than the appetizer) was nothing special. The appetizer -- torta frita with cured meats -- was yummy and unusual. But, no one loved their main dishes. My friends ordered a variety of salads, the spaghetti, and the pasta carbonara. Really hope they improve as it would be nice to have another fun place in this location.
- Great dinning in Jack London SquarewaveDined on 3/8/2014This is a new and happening scene with great food, attentive service and wonderful atmosphere. I recommend it highly if one wants authentic Italian food from Parma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poorly ManagedOaktownDined on 3/8/2014We had a seven o'clock reservation. Centouno gave our table away. We arrived at seven, and we were told that another table would be available shortly. We were seated at 7:30. Our waiter did not take our drink order for 15 minutes. He forgot one order of wine, and one appetizer. Wine eventually came, appetizer did not. Food was decent. We got our bill at 9:20.
- The person waiting on us wasOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/22/2014The person waiting on us was very inexperienced. Dreds piled on the top of her head are simply gross to look at while eating. Clearing the table prematurely and recommending dessert and while some members of my party were still trying to finish dinner was obnoxious. I wanted an appetizer, I was considering he soup, however, the server did confirm the soup portion was big so I ordered a salad as an appetizer. My entree, was a steak with the balsamic sauce. Never was I told the steak included salad. I ate equal two 2 heads of lettuce that night . The lemon sorbet, frozen like a ROCK. While trying to eat it, it was spinning in a cup of ice. Seriously, why not cut the tip, make it a flat bottom serve it on a plate and be done with it.
- Do not miss the Caponata Siciliana!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Do not miss the Caponata Siciliana! It's a side that could be the best eggplant dish ever. I only wish I had saved some of the lovely Torta Frita to eat with it. The Osso Buco was excellent, as was the eggplant parm, though it was not breaded and fried in the form I'm used to from NY. Wish I had room to try the gnocchi, but we'll be back for that. Service was gracious, noise level low for easy conversation, and the rustic atmosphere just right.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's dinner at CentounorocktowndinnerDined on 2/14/2014I learned about Centouno opening from Open Table and thought I'd take my wife for Valentine's dinner. We had the prix fixe special. The starter was was delicious. My wife's wine arrived with cork floating in it - not a good sign. The second course was red wine risotto and beet gnocci. The risotto was quite tasty, but the gnocci lacked flavor. For the main course the eggplant parmasan was delicious but unfortunately barley warm. We had a long wait between courses and the eggplant was probably waiting to be delivered. I had the sausage with onion stew and sauce. There wasn't much of any sauce, but the sausage was delicious. Dessert was very good. All in all the meal was OK, but there was some room for improvement.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice addition to the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/12/2014Friendly, knowledgeable service. Osso Buco was salty, but otherwise deliciousSpecial Features:
- service needs work --pietroDined on 1/30/2014Food was excellent but I had the feeling it was overpriced. Although it was lunch and it was not crowded, service was spotty -- we asked for bread and although the waiter "ordered it" it never came. We had to ask the other waiter about it and also for our check. The original waiter was also covering a "large" (8 people ?) party in another room.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new Italian restaurantTuxcooterVIPDined on 1/29/2014Centouno is a wonderful addition to downtown Oakland's dining choices. The food is delicious, the service is attentive and friendly, and the decor is charming. I felt as if I were dining in an affluent Italian friend's ancestral home in which the cook was a whole lot more skillful than any of my ancestors (but then, they were Scots, and we all know that any Scot who was born with actually functional taste buds emigrated).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itsoyletteDined on 1/24/2014the waiter pretty much recommended everything we ordered including pairing our wine for us. the osso bucco was to die for. and grandma's gnocchi was perfect. my favorite was the eggplant that our waiter suggested we use to stuff the side of fried ravioli puffs with. delicious. we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- I"ll follow Fabio anywhere!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2014We were once again blown away by the generous welcome of Fabio, Bob and the team at Centouno. They ALWAYS make it special and take extra care to give us more than we ask for. It's one of our favorite spots and we are so glad it's in Jack London, close to home and work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The second time aroundJayBeeVIPDined on 1/20/2014We went to Centouno about 8 days after it opened, and it was so great and full of promise. The waiter was hysterical, one of the owners was very welcoming and even introduced us to his mother! We were eager for a return so when we had friends visiting from out of town, we went for dinner on a Monday night. The service was so-so. We ordered a bottle of Proseco, but they didn't have any champagne glasses - just fairly large wine glasses. We were not greeted by the staff that had been so friendly the first time we were there. To be fair, the food is very good. I had lasagne that was the "real deal." However, I am not sure I will be returning any time soon.Special Features:
- new/old restaurantGoodVIPDined on 1/19/2014Centouno is a great location and has a good bar. The food menu is good (and limited). The service is over the top wonderful.Special Features:
- Nice staff/tasteless foodJohnnyDined on 1/14/2014Okay, they're new, but...................the cabbage salad had no taste, and the sausage and onion stew was small and mediocre. The interior is odd for an italian restaurant with a white picket fence, and wagon wheel chandeliers. On the plus side, the bartender was most welcoming, and the (real) Italian waitress could not have been more charming and helpful.
- Great findErinDined on 1/11/2014We went for my husband's birthday dinner. He ordered the steak and LOVED it! The Bolognese is also a great choice. For dessert, we shared the apple rings - very light and delicious! Menu is not extensive, but we highly recommend for those looking for delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food, terrible serviceToddDined on 12/31/2013We waited about 15 minutes before anyone came to take our drink/food order. Maybe 10 minutes later the appetizers came out, and we asked if our wine was coming. She ran to the bar and got the wine, proudly telling us that she had poured it herself. The problem was that I had ordered a red wine and we got a rose. I called another waiter over and told him, and his reply was "and this isn't it?" I explained to him that the wine should be red and he got the right wine. Finally, our food came out. I had ordered the fettucine with pesto sauce, and it was probably the most disappointing pasta dish I've eaten. It was completely bland, without any taste of pesto, and very small. So in summary: terrible service, and really bland food.