Ed's Chowder House
44 West 63rd Street
The Empire Hotel
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Ed's Chowder House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chinagrillmgt.com/
- Phone: 2129561288x2
- Hours of Operation:
BREAKFAST: Daily: 7am - 11am;
LUNCH: Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Continuous dining in the chowder bar available all day;
BRUNCH: Saturday -Sunday: 11:30am-3:30pm
Continuous dining in the chowder bar available all day;
DINNER: Sunday - Monday: 5pm - 10:30pm,
Tuesday - Saturday: 5pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Justin Rowe
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: On-site Director of Catering, Teddi Pickard at firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Ed's Chowder House
Delivering the bounty of the eastern shore line to the Upper West Side is Ed’s Chowder House, a new restaurant by Chef Ed Brown (chef/owner of Michelin Star-rated restaurant eighty one) and China Grill Management. Inspired by the ports of the East Coast, Brown’s refined yet unpretentious take on authentic “sea shack cuisine” features signature seafood in a vibrant, energetic setting complete with a raw bar and a full-service Chowder Bar serving crisp cocktails, cold microbrews, namesake chowders, steamers, lobster rolls and more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ed's Chowder House reviews from OpenTable diners
239 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (117)fit for foodies (70)great for lunch (62)special occasion (59)good for groups (50)great for brunch (36)romantic (30)vibrant bar scene (25)notable wine list (20)scenic view (15)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (10)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- good business dinner spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/25/2014great ambience, great food. would totally go back again.Special Features:
- FoxtrotDined on 7/25/2014Very pleasant atmosphere, excellent refined food and good service. Ideal location prior to a performance at Lincoln Center!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a GemreenieDined on 7/25/2014Ed's become my neighborhood go to restaurant, it's comfortable with great seafood!Special Features:
- Greatest seafoodBack2NYCVIPDined on 7/25/2014Wonderful 78th birthday luncheon for my husband. His favorite restaurant in NYC and he is a seafoodie!Special Features:
- Great seafood and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014Some of the best seafood I've had in a long time. The wait staff was excellent, definitely service with a smile. I will eat here again when I'm in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden in plain sightneogourmandDined on 7/23/2014Visited during July 2014 Restaurant Week Food and service were great - wait staff was helpful and attentive on a busy rainy evening Would definitely come back to taste the regular menu Cheers!Special Features:
- Exceptional lobster roll!OrcuttDined on 7/23/2014When you have the craving for a delicious lobster roll that satisfies on all counts, head to Ed's.I would recommend this to a friend.
- phanaticDined on 7/23/2014The service was very professional and courteous. It was the second time I've eaten at Ed's Chowder House and the food was outstanding both times. It's the best restaurant of those I've tried in the Lincoln Center area.Special Features:
- Never tire of the foodSpangleNYCVIPDined on 7/23/2014With only an hour to eat before a performance at Lincoln Center, we were delighted at our waiter's responsiveness to our time constraints, ordered everything including drinks and desert at once, and enjoyed a well-paced meal. The portions are generous. The hake was rich and flakey, beautifully flavored, the salmon perfectly cooked as my husband ordered it (medium-well, a chef's nightmare), and my banana cream pie was just sweet enough with delicious ripe bananas and a creamy filling. Less indulgent were the refreshing sorbets, a good end to a very satisfying dinner. There is a noisy active bar area and a high level of conversation in the booths against the wall - quieter against the opposite wall. Avoid tables in the middle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need a good pre-performance dinner?danwDined on 7/22/2014For a really good seafood dinner before going across the street to Lincoln Center, this is the place. A bit noisy, but good service and tasty, well prepared food and the staff is accustomed to getting diners out for shows.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/19/2014All the way around just a terrific food and beverage experience. Service was right on. Seafood was so fresh and expertly cooked. Great cocktails. Will be back again.Special Features:
- small portionsminaDined on 7/19/2014i almost choked when my meal came out. my cup of chowder was a thimble and my lobster roll was a tea sandwich. everything tasted great but the portions are way too small. drinks are decently priced however and are delicious.
- We enjoyed our mealAnonymousVIPDined on 7/16/2014Service was excellent. Food was good, although crab cakes were overly salty. Good for pre-Lincoln-Center-performance-dinner.
- DebbyDined on 7/16/2014A great location near Lincoln center with wide choices of fish that can be served in varying ways. There is enough variety and non-fish choices to please all tastes.The staff is attentive and the noise levels acceptable. We find the restaurant an attractive comfortable space with good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theater convenienceGloriousfoodieVIPDined on 7/15/2014Best of all is the location to Lincoln Center. Enjoyed our dinner before attending the ballet. Food was fine and satisfying.Special Features:
- Good not great48BRVIPDined on 7/14/2014We had a pleasant meal here; but nothing special. Service was good, except that it took a long time to get our order taken. Nothing we couldn't have prepared for ourselves at home. The cookies we got for dessert were stale and tasted like they came from a package. I would go back if I wanted a fish meal near Lincoln Center. Not a bad option in that neighborhood. A little expensive for what it is.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dining experiencePacmanDined on 7/9/2014This was my third visit to this wonderful seafood based restaurant. But the fresh seafood selection is just the beginning. The meat based menu items are also exceptional. The other highlight is the quality of the adult beverages. Well crafted and mixed cocktails are plentiful. The service is consistently attentive and personal. And finally the decor and design of the interior is unique and there are a variety of different environments and room settings, depending on your mood.Special Features:
- Great Place and Great foodledocDined on 7/7/2014A very comfortable place with tables for two that are of good size. Located on the second floor of a small hotel in Lincoln Center this seafood restaurant did not disappoint. It is a beautiful space elegantly furnished. We came on a Monday afternoon knowing it would not be busy then. Although their motto is "Cozy and Casual" most of the men wore jackets but not ties. My Vodka martini was perfectly prepared by the bartender. Raw Oysters were delicious. The waitress was very attentive and eager to please. On her recommendation I had the Skate entre and was not disappointed. My wife had a lobster roll that was as good as anything I have ever had at Cape Cod. All in all a most pleasant experience that I plan to repeat in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicePMG216VIPDined on 7/6/2014This is a completely underrated restaurant. The service is superb / attentive and friendly without being stuffy. Lovely comfortable contemporary decor. Fresh delicious food which is consistently good. We've eaten here many times both alone and with friends avid have always had an excellent dining experience. Just good simple non-gimmicky food, perfectly sourced and prepared and expertly served. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The MusicEstherVIPDined on 7/4/2014The so called music playing continuously in the background is not music. It is just noise!!Special Features:
- Great FoodNewYorkGalDined on 7/3/2014This restaurant just keeps getting better - the freshest fish around. Our favorite in the Lincoln Center area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Packed at Pre-fixe timeFoody257Dined on 7/2/2014A very popular place for dinner or happy hour before the theater. When we arrived the place was packed and very noisy (7 pm). However, as the happy hour and theater-goer patrons finished up and left, the atmosphere became much calmer and pleasant. Always have had good food here and the service was friendly and efficient. We recommend anytime after 7 pm, before then it's just too crowded and noisy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was surprisedAnnieVIPDined on 7/2/2014I wasn't expecting much, but the calamari appetizer and the lobster roll were excellent. Also great drinks. Service was very attentive.
- DisappointingLuvs2dineVIPDined on 7/2/2014We have always eaten at Ed's prior to going to Lincoln Center. This time will probably have been our last. The crab cake was, at best, mediocre and tasteless. The lobster roll was fine. The presentation was less appealing than what I would throw on plate if I were serving a quick meal on the run at home. We always loved the little crackers and horseradish; We were offered none. The enu was much smaller than the last time I was there and quite limited. Way too much money for so little value.Special Features:
- Taste of foodRabbitDined on 6/28/2014I ordered the lobster roll. There was no lobster flavor as if the meat had been washed. The New England clam chowder was good but low on clams and big on potatoes. I went there because it was near Avery Fisher Hall. In summary the food is tepid but maybe that is because most of the guests were old like me and we often like our food tepid. Maybe not quite so tepid.Special Features:
- Chuck the ChowderElsasolseatsVIPDined on 6/28/2014The New England style chowder base is bland and boring, but breads are great,. salads are fine, mains are well -presented and flavorful and ice creams ad cookies are special. Simple shellfish is good but not great quality, and pricey -- you can do better elsewhere. Loud but lively. Even if you get one of the better servers, service is Slooooow.Special Features:
- Not flexibleMacandcheeseloversDined on 6/27/2014I really wanted the Mac and cheese as a side for the table. However, we were dining with one vegetarian. When we requested that the macaroni be served sans bacon the waiter promptly responded a sharp NO. No explanation, no other suggestions. We thought for a second the waiter was kidding based on his response. Other than that our food was great. Not very crowded for a Friday night at 8:30 though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014good food..good service..a little too noisy..would definitely go there againI would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014I've often found it difficult to find moderately priced good seafood in Manhattan. This was really good- fresh, nicely prepared and tasty. Would highly recommend when in the Lincoln Center area. Very convenient as it is right across the street. Staff went out of their way to provide good service. One negative was you had to walk back to the hotel for the restroom and when we got there, no paper, so had to find another place to go! Noboody was in charge of this since every stall was without paper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/25/2014PERFECT afdter a LC performance.....no competitionSpecial Features:
- Lincoln Center Area FavoritePaulVIPDined on 6/25/2014Our favorite Lincoln Center spot. Primarily a seafood restaurant, the fish dishes are without exception, fresh, perfectly prepared and delicious. To do better with seafood one might have to jump way up to the heights of Le Bernardin. Try their Chatham Cod, the local fluke, or Atlantic hake. Favorite appetizers are the Atlantic salmon tartar and the not to be missed, scallop ravioli in white wine sauce. Top things off with chocolate pudding. There is a fixed price menu which offers several great choices. PS If you like Martinis you will be happy at Eds. They are generously sized!Special Features:
- dinahVIPDined on 6/24/2014Our fish entrees were average--nothing exceptional, especially for the price. Service could have been more attentive and the noise levels were way too high. Not in a hurry to go back.
- Relaxed EleganceNoNicknameDined on 6/24/2014Been to Ed's several times. The food is always excellent, and the ambiance is sophisticated without being pretentious. Very easy going. Great for pre-theater, as it's right in Lincoln Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bkfast near Lincoln CtrurbicoastalVIPDined on 6/24/2014not many places for sit down bkfast in Lincoln Sq Lincoln Ctr area. This was adequate. Ordered egg potao frittata done all egg whites. tasty but oily. Bagel and cream cheese unremarkable... mini single serve alum cup of Philly Cream Cheese... just like Amtrak. Even a standup take out Deli or coffee cart does it better. Two tables occupied so you would think it would be quiet enuf... truth is, we could hear every aspect of our neighbors business meeting 3 tables away... so i cant imagine what this is like with more patrons! staff pleasant enuf but not particularly engaged or energetic.
- AZDinerVIPDined on 6/23/2014Mussels in white wine broth were outstanding. Next time I will order the entree portion and not share it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter ...kundry42VIPDined on 6/21/2014was FABULOUS!!! Never obtrusive but there if you needed him.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/20/2014Food was inconsistent and almost all over seasoned. Even stand alone seafood. Too few choicesSpecial Features:
- Warm and welcoming.finedinerVIPDined on 6/19/2014I look forward to returning to ECH a few times a year, and they remember, which makes it even better. The food was delicious. Hard to keep re-inventing the on-every-menu beet salad, but it was bright and palate-pleasing. And the local fluke was delicious (how could it not be, drenched in butter?). I wanted to lick the last green bean off my plate (I didn't). Asparagus was equally fresh and a perfect complement to a summer meal, and my date enjoyed his meal immensely too (wedge salad and lobster roll). Also, the made my off the menu drink perfectly. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingcruisingsueDined on 6/17/2014This was the most disappointing dining experience. I would rate the food as sub-standard.Special Features:
- olgamDined on 6/14/2014I enjoyed the experience & food very much, but my guest used the bathroom which is part of the hotel lobby. She reported that it was very unkept and she would not accompany me to the Chowder House again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.