Ed's Chowder House
44 West 63rd Street
The Empire Hotel
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Ed's Chowder House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chinagrillmgt.com/
- Phone: 2129561288x2
- Hours of Operation:
BREAKFAST: Daily: 7am - 11am;
LUNCH: Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Continuous dining in the chowder bar available all day;
BRUNCH: Saturday -Sunday: 11:30am-3:30pm
Continuous dining in the chowder bar available all day;
DINNER: Sunday - Monday: 5pm - 10:30pm,
Tuesday - Saturday: 5pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Justin Rowe
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: On-site Director of Catering, Teddi Pickard at email@example.com
A word from Ed's Chowder House
Delivering the bounty of the eastern shore line to the Upper West Side is Ed’s Chowder House, a new restaurant by Chef Ed Brown (chef/owner of Michelin Star-rated restaurant eighty one) and China Grill Management. Inspired by the ports of the East Coast, Brown’s refined yet unpretentious take on authentic “sea shack cuisine” features signature seafood in a vibrant, energetic setting complete with a raw bar and a full-service Chowder Bar serving crisp cocktails, cold microbrews, namesake chowders, steamers, lobster rolls and more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ed's Chowder House reviews from OpenTable diners
242 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (110)fit for foodies (74)special occasion (64)great for lunch (55)good for groups (49)great for brunch (35)romantic (32)vibrant bar scene (27)notable wine list (24)hot spot (15)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (12)scenic view (12)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Good ChowderLateSeviceVIPDined on 10/22/2014For a quick meal before an event at Lincoln Center, this is a great spot. We enjoyed the excellent chowder (try the sampler if you can't choose) and the sea scallops.
- BruceDined on 10/20/2014Very good option for Lincoln Center - if you like seafood. I had the chowder sampler (excellent) and a special rock shrimp salad (ditto) and the waiter was very attentive to getting us out on time for a 7:30 curtain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC HighlightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014Excellent food and service! Matt made great suggestions for each course. The ravioli was unbelievable and the raw bar was excellent. Great selection of interesting mixed beverages as well. We will definitely go back on our next trip to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but priceyRosaDined on 10/18/2014The food was good, the service very good, but the prices are high.Special Features:
- DisappointedRedHawk1VIPDined on 10/18/2014Clam chowder with heavy cream and a few chewy clams. Cod done perfectly,but covered with potato chips. Amateurish!Special Features:
- budbarb2Dined on 10/18/2014Food was tasty, lobster roll could have been more substantial., facilities fine I would go again, if I were going to Lincoln center.Special Features:
- AleksandraDined on 10/17/2014Really nice place. Cozy atmosphere and good food. A bit on a pricey side.Special Features:
- Discovery near Lincoln CenterOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/16/2014Great to find another excellent choice in this busy pre-theater area. Wonderfully convenient, very good food With friendly, speedy, attentive wait staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RosieDined on 10/16/2014My husband and I usually go to this restaurant before the opera at the Met. It is usually very good but this time it was MUCH TOO NOISY. The wait staff was very stressed. The food was good and was served in a reasonably manner. We may choose another restaurant next time we attend the operaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient but . . .cocoDined on 10/14/2014We have eaten here before. It is very convenient to Lincoln Center, the service is attentive but not over aggressive, and waiters make sure they know if/when you are attending an event at the Center to make sure you will be in time. The problem I found the last two times is that it seems to be more expensive than the quality of the food merits. While the shaved vegetable salad was excellent and the skate combined dish very good, the calimari were excessively salty and the sauce too sweet where a bit of spice would have been appreciated. It is very noisy too, as are indeed most restaurants in NYC these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChuggaDined on 10/14/2014Reliable , good food and close to Lincoln Center. I would go there any time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Repeat Performancedash2metDined on 10/13/2014Ed's Chowder House was recommended to us 2.5 years ago by a friendly New Yorker on a city bus. We were extremely pleased on our first visit, and decided to eat there again on this trip. The location is great for pre-Lincoln Center events. The second time lived up to our remembrance of the first. The grilled shrimp were jumbo, as described, and delicious. The horseradish potatoes, and green beans were exceptional. We've had the banana cream pie on both occasions, and plan to have it on all future visits. We look forward to eating at Ed's the next time we are in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-opera findCarolynVIPDined on 10/11/2014We came here before going to the opera at the Lincoln Centre. The food was good (fish cooked lightly with a well flavoured sauce), service was quick and efficient (very important when you are rushing as we were!) and it's very convenient (opposite the Lincoln Centre). The name is misleading - it sounds like a shack but it's actually a large restaurant in which you can still hear yourself speak. Will definitely come here again.
- PitpatPitpatVIPDined on 10/10/2014This was not our first visit to Ed's Chowder House. The standard of food and service is consistently excellent. The staff is pleasant, concerned and helpful. A perfect restaurant for fish lovers with alternatives for those who prefer meat or chicken. The location is perfect for an early meal before attending a concert or opera. Always busy, it is advisable to make a reservation.Special Features:
- Consistently Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/9/2014We seem to always gravitate back to Ed's before theater at Lincoln Center. Food is good and consistent. Wish that they would change the menu more often but we always get a good meal. Service is friendly, knowledgeable and mindful of time.Special Features:
- Second time returningOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/8/2014We had an excellent meal on our second visit. Our server, Robert, remembered us from our first visit months ago. He is a wonderful asset to the restaurant, friendly, professional and super efficient. The food was excellent. My partner and I both selected different fish entree specials and they were both delicious. I look forward to returning soon whenever I'm in the Lincoln Center area.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/8/2014Great for pre-theater as usual. I wished they had opened the window curtainsSpecial Features:
- Serviceable and Never Disappointinggws58VIPDined on 10/8/2014This Lincoln Center Seafood Establishment has become a welcomed choice for those attending events there. This is not grand dining but a serviceable choice as the food is consistently good and the place is easy on the eye and very friendly. They go out of their way to get you out for whatever time your curtain may be and though not inexpensive, keeps the budget in check. I find myself choosing Ed's more and more during opera season as the fare is fresh and the overall experience very nice, indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexDined on 10/6/2014Excellent restaurant. Always fresh seafood, very attentive service, and a nice reasonably quiet atmosphere; what more can one want? Answer: A perfect location just a stone's throw from the Metropolitan Opera House and other Lincoln Center attractions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return visit after the BalletJudyDined on 10/5/2014A group of friends, we call ourselves "ballet ladies", have eaten here several times. Usually its for brunch prior to the Sunday matinee, but this time we opted for dinner. We were really pleased; each of us had something different and all dishes were great! One steak lover even enjoyed the steak while the rest of us had seafood.Special Features:
- Busy brunchedy50drDined on 10/5/2014Been here several times before and as always the food and service are spot on. This past Sunday the noise level was definitely energetic as they were serving a busy brunch.Special Features:
- Amazing all aroundehannahDined on 9/30/2014Great food, ambiance and service and a killer Manhattan. We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencemotekmamaVIPDined on 9/29/2014We ordered a shrimp salad special and one complete prix fixe dinner - sea food linguini, New England chowder,desert and wine by glass; it was plenty for two of us - not big eaters; outstanding service and quality food can be certainly enjoyed again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rushed servicedeliciousVIPDined on 9/26/2014my food came too quickly and the servers/bus boys hovered over us waiting to take our plates away. they gave the check while we were still on dessert. too rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chowder in NYCAlanKVIPDined on 9/26/2014The food was awesome. I had the Lobster roll and clam chowder which were out of this word! The customer service was really appreciated as well. Kelli Wise the Manager was extremely professional and very kind. Kudos to the people and the food!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbianceCamilleDDined on 9/21/2014I love the set up of this restaurant. I've been twice, now. And I WILL be coming back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014The chowder is excellent and the location near Lincoln Center is good. The price fixe is not a bad deal for the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally ReliableMehhhVIPDined on 9/17/2014The menu is basic and good - lots to choose from. Everything is served nicely and the staff is very professional. They know how to get you in and out for a show or symphony without making you feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TiggerDined on 9/17/2014Wide selection of choices of food served by a friendly waitstaff....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Seafood and quiet at lunchGoodvalueDined on 9/16/2014Recently enjoyed a fine late lunch at this restaurant. The service was spot on - not rushed and very pleasant. The food was delicious -- so couldn't have been better. I had read that the restaurant could be noisy - but not for a late lunch (2 p.m.). I couldn't have been more satisfied.Special Features:
- Fresh from the seaHanaVIPDined on 9/11/2014As always, we enjoyed fresh sea food from the restaurant. The raw oysters and clams are so fresh that you can feel the freshness from the sea. The salmon tartar is delicious, and cod sandwich is cooked just right. The desserts were good. We tried all three and loved all. Banana cream pie was big portioned and delicious. On the whole, we enjoyed every dish ordered and will come back.Special Features:
- Consistent food and servicechapsDined on 8/31/2014Good seafood. Presentation okay. Service consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NaomiNaomiDined on 8/24/2014As always, a warm, friendly professional staff and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Timing questionmixedbagDined on 8/24/2014My experience at Ed's Chowder House on August 24 was lovely, but I was a bit annoyed by the reservation system. I requested from Open Table a reservation for 7:00 and was told I could have 6:30 or 7:30. I at first took the 7:30, but later changed it to 6:30. So far so good. But when I arrived the restaurant was virtually empty. It continued to be virtually empty, and remained so until I left at approximately 9:15. I just don't understand what the deal was with the times, when any time at all would have been more than easy to accommodate!Special Features:
- Lobster BakeChuckDined on 8/21/2014Best lobster bake we've experienced anywhere. The pot was endless with delicious clams, mussles, shrimp and a fantastic lobster and let's not forget corn and sausage !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014Great seafood and a very friendly service. Right across the Lincoln Center. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient but just okay foodhappy2dineDined on 8/20/2014Nice place but food could be better. I liked the fixed price menu. It offered a nice selection and good value.Special Features:
- Dependably good if noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/20/2014While we've had many meals here and in the bar, this visit wasn't as pleasant as hoped for. The noise level was dreadful: we could hardly hear each other talk. Our waitress was fine, but the servers had no idea who had ordered what. Isn't a standard numbered pattern for seats being used? This was true for each course. Of course, the good food will bring us back, but perhaps when only two of us are dining and conversation with folks we're meeting isn't at issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ed'smarianDined on 8/19/2014lovely place with great seafood. Everyone, from front desk to bartenders to wait staff, were terrific. Place seemed to die down, though, after 8pm (i.e., so many seemed to be there pre-theater). I think more people should know about Ed's - it's a really nice dining option near lincoln centerSpecial Features:
- Lobster BakeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/16/2014Been going here for years. Consistently great. Recently tried the lobster bake special was amazing, a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.