Ed's Chowder House
44 West 63rd Street
The Empire Hotel
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Ed's Chowder House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chinagrillmgt.com/
- Phone: 2129561288x2
- Hours of Operation:
BREAKFAST: Daily: 7am - 11am;
LUNCH: Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Continuous dining in the chowder bar available all day;
BRUNCH: Saturday -Sunday: 11:30am-3:30pm
Continuous dining in the chowder bar available all day;
DINNER: Sunday - Monday: 5pm - 10:30pm,
Tuesday - Saturday: 5pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Justin Rowe
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: On-site Director of Catering, Teddi Pickard at firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Ed's Chowder House
Delivering the bounty of the eastern shore line to the Upper West Side is Ed’s Chowder House, a new restaurant by Chef Ed Brown (chef/owner of Michelin Star-rated restaurant eighty one) and China Grill Management. Inspired by the ports of the East Coast, Brown’s refined yet unpretentious take on authentic “sea shack cuisine” features signature seafood in a vibrant, energetic setting complete with a raw bar and a full-service Chowder Bar serving crisp cocktails, cold microbrews, namesake chowders, steamers, lobster rolls and more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ed's Chowder House reviews from OpenTable diners
226 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (111)fit for foodies (63)great for lunch (57)special occasion (56)good for groups (46)great for brunch (33)vibrant bar scene (26)romantic (26)notable wine list (22)scenic view (14)hot spot (12)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (11)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- rushed servicedeliciousVIPDined on 9/26/2014my food came too quickly and the servers/bus boys hovered over us waiting to take our plates away. they gave the check while we were still on dessert. too rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Chowder in NYCAlanKVIPDined on 9/26/2014The food was awesome. I had the Lobster roll and clam chowder which were out of this word! The customer service was really appreciated as well. Kelli Wise the Manager was extremely professional and very kind. Kudos to the people and the food!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbianceCamilleDDined on 9/21/2014I love the set up of this restaurant. I've been twice, now. And I WILL be coming back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014The chowder is excellent and the location near Lincoln Center is good. The price fixe is not a bad deal for the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally ReliableMehhhVIPDined on 9/17/2014The menu is basic and good - lots to choose from. Everything is served nicely and the staff is very professional. They know how to get you in and out for a show or symphony without making you feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TiggerDined on 9/17/2014Wide selection of choices of food served by a friendly waitstaff....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Seafood and quiet at lunchGoodvalueDined on 9/16/2014Recently enjoyed a fine late lunch at this restaurant. The service was spot on - not rushed and very pleasant. The food was delicious -- so couldn't have been better. I had read that the restaurant could be noisy - but not for a late lunch (2 p.m.). I couldn't have been more satisfied.Special Features:
- Fresh from the seaHanaVIPDined on 9/11/2014As always, we enjoyed fresh sea food from the restaurant. The raw oysters and clams are so fresh that you can feel the freshness from the sea. The salmon tartar is delicious, and cod sandwich is cooked just right. The desserts were good. We tried all three and loved all. Banana cream pie was big portioned and delicious. On the whole, we enjoyed every dish ordered and will come back.Special Features:
- Consistent food and servicechapsDined on 8/31/2014Good seafood. Presentation okay. Service consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NaomiNaomiDined on 8/24/2014As always, a warm, friendly professional staff and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Timing questionmixedbagDined on 8/24/2014My experience at Ed's Chowder House on August 24 was lovely, but I was a bit annoyed by the reservation system. I requested from Open Table a reservation for 7:00 and was told I could have 6:30 or 7:30. I at first took the 7:30, but later changed it to 6:30. So far so good. But when I arrived the restaurant was virtually empty. It continued to be virtually empty, and remained so until I left at approximately 9:15. I just don't understand what the deal was with the times, when any time at all would have been more than easy to accommodate!Special Features:
- Lobster BakeChuckDined on 8/21/2014Best lobster bake we've experienced anywhere. The pot was endless with delicious clams, mussles, shrimp and a fantastic lobster and let's not forget corn and sausage !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014Great seafood and a very friendly service. Right across the Lincoln Center. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient but just okay foodhappy2dineDined on 8/20/2014Nice place but food could be better. I liked the fixed price menu. It offered a nice selection and good value.Special Features:
- Dependably good if noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/20/2014While we've had many meals here and in the bar, this visit wasn't as pleasant as hoped for. The noise level was dreadful: we could hardly hear each other talk. Our waitress was fine, but the servers had no idea who had ordered what. Isn't a standard numbered pattern for seats being used? This was true for each course. Of course, the good food will bring us back, but perhaps when only two of us are dining and conversation with folks we're meeting isn't at issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ed'smarianDined on 8/19/2014lovely place with great seafood. Everyone, from front desk to bartenders to wait staff, were terrific. Place seemed to die down, though, after 8pm (i.e., so many seemed to be there pre-theater). I think more people should know about Ed's - it's a really nice dining option near lincoln centerSpecial Features:
- Lobster BakeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/16/2014Been going here for years. Consistently great. Recently tried the lobster bake special was amazing, a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for Lincoln CenterFoodieVIPDined on 8/16/2014Ed's is just steps from Lincoln Center. The seafood is always fresh and the full lobster dinner is a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningBillinNewYorkDined on 8/15/2014We languished over dinner for three hours and loved every minute! The food is very good and impeccably presented and served. The staff is wonderful - all that I met, from the hostess to the manager to the waiter and yes, the busboy too. It's a beautiful space, in the treetops of the small park across from Lincoln Center, and the noise level quite conducive to good conversation.Special Features:
- Always a Treat!travelannVIPDined on 8/15/2014Ed's is one of my favorite restaurants because it never dissapoints: food is varied seafood, always delciious; service is attentive, pleasant and warm; drinks are excellent; and in spite of the large dining room, the set up makes it feel intimate no matter where you sit. And the efficient service makes it an ideal restaurant for the Lincoln Center area. Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- hiyaDined on 8/15/2014We were excited to have the raw bar, which was good, fresh and interesting oyster selection. we didn't love the chowder, but it wasn't bad. we had a great waiter. Very attentive and had great suggestions for pairings or additions to our meal, without being pushy in the least. I'd recommend this place if you are grabbing dinner in that neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedlavflyVIPDined on 8/15/2014Although the food was very good, I feel that it was overpriced, and small portions, with a wine list of ridiculous prices. My gues would not even order a glass of wine, which embarrassed me. Even though it was a pleasurable experience, I could only recommend with the caveat of the prices.Special Features:
- Good Food Good ServicetippyDined on 8/14/2014We went with a group of 7 for lunch and were all pleased with the food and service.Special Features:
- 4getaboutitsweetandsour21Dined on 8/11/2014Poor service...average food...should and could do better.
- Enjoyable dinnerDinnerwdadDined on 8/10/2014Was well taken care of, excellent service. looking forward to return when in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable and low keyconnieDined on 8/10/2014Our lunch at Ed's Chowder House during Restaurant Week was better than either of us expected. The ingredients were fresh and well prepared. Everything tasted delicious, from the appetizers to the desert. The service was exceptional and exceptionally friendly. We plan to go back.Special Features:
- Thoroughly enjoyable.Luv2eatDined on 8/10/2014Excellent food and service. The risotto was among the best I've ever eaten, and the lemon meringue pie was heaven. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular service and food!KathrynLVIPDined on 8/8/2014This will become a go-to restaurant for a lovely meal because of the very attentive and knowledgable wait staff and the quality, delicious food. Great experience!Special Features:
- Tasting the seaflixgalDined on 8/6/2014A friends wanted to gather for restaurant week and we chose Ed's Chowder House which did not disappoint. I was the only person who had previously dined at the restaurant, since surprisingly my three friends had not. Two of the dining guests chose the overflowing Ed's Lobster Bake. I enjoyed a selection from the restaurant week menu including smoked cod cakes and the sweet delicate Hake as an entree. We also enjoyed a few bottles of French Sauvignon Blanc that complimented the meal perfectly. The meal was terrific and I was happy to introduce my friends to the delights of Ed's. China Grill Management offers restaurants that offer a quality dining experience. I go to Ed's and feel like I've been to the Eastern shoreline on a perfect day.Special Features:
- nice environmentunknownDined on 8/6/2014Came here for restaurant week. I was originally going to come here with my coworker but they never call me back about my reservation foe 14 people so I just came with a friend instead. The environment and decoration is very good. Good for having a nice private chat. Excellent service. For a restaurant at that location, the food is good but nothing too memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itSeafoodLoverDined on 8/6/2014Food was great, service was excellent. Only complaint would be the noise level and the fact that it doesn't have its own (nicer) restroom. That hotel bathroom was kind of ick.Special Features:
- a delightful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/6/2014While we'd eaten light dinners in the bar many times, this was our first time at the restaurant. We were quite pleased with everything as were our guests. Although a tad pricey, the meal lived up to our hopes. We will return.Special Features:
- Wish service was as good as foodjackiejulieDined on 8/3/2014We've been to many pricey restaurants in the city but this one by far has the worst service. We waited 20 min before the waiter even came over to greet us. The place on a Sunday afternoon was not busy. Another 20 min for 1 club soda drink. I had to stop a bus boy twice during our meal there to ask him to get our waiter who seemed very busy talking to his friends in the back! The food was good but I doubt we'll ever come back. There are too many other wonderful places for Sunday brunch. Telepan Restaurant for one, has far superior service at brunch and amazing food.Special Features:
- Quick lunchLpnyDined on 8/3/2014Went for restaurant week lunch before Sunday matinee theatre performance. Staff very attentive. Food tasty. Quick but not rushed lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014We ordered NYC restaurant week lunch and it was excellent. In particular, Calamari fries and skate wing are the best. Must go if you have a chance during the NYC restaurant week this summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceSpeisekritikerDined on 8/1/2014A very nice and pleasant seafood restaurant with very attentive service. The food was well prepared, interesting to the palate, and the fish was fresh. Breads were not exceptional but were a variety. Wine is a bit expensive but a good selection for a single glass. The ambience was nice with real table linens. A great spot if you have a performance at Lincoln Center.
- Great pre-concert dinnerkathiVIPDined on 8/1/2014The restaurant is attractive, the food is wonderful. We visited during restaurant week, one of us ordered from the pre-fixe menu, the other just got an entree. Especially loved the cod cakes appetizer and the scallops. Attentive service. Quiet atmosphere, but that may be because it was an early dinner on a summer weekend. Portions on the small side, but everything was delicious and well prepared. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Nice place for Restaurant WeekstefystefDined on 8/1/2014This is the 2nd time I have gone to Ed's Chowder House and I had a lovely time. The Restaurant Week menu was very good and I was happy with all my dishes. I had the Corn Chowder, the Seared Skate and Sorbet, all very well prepared and delicious. The wait staff was very nice and helpful. Many New Yorkers are taking advantage of the Restaurant Week activities. The only downside was the people who brought babies to the restaurant. There was a lot of crying and fussing that took away from the ambience of the restaurant, but I would still go back and I would recommend Ed's Chowder House.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/1/2014Very lovely ambiance and friendly staff. Interesting choices, well executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOpenTableDined on 7/31/2014We were here for an early dinner, so not crowded, and the service was perfect... there when you need them but not intrusive. I had the scallop ravioli on recommendation of our waiter, and they were delicious. My friend had the crab cakes which while good, he wanted some simple crab cakes and these were a bit more 'fancy'. Both had chowder, corn chowder for me and New England Clam for my friend, both very good. It is located across the street from Lincoln Center where we were headed after dinner so the location cannot be beat.