Cellar Door, Cafe Wine and Spirits
2301 Central Ave
Alameda, CA 94501Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Cellar Door, Cafe Wine and Spirits
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cellar-door-cafe.com/
- Phone: 5105225822
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30-2:30pm
Dinner: M-Sat 5:00-10:pm, Sun 5:00-9:00pm
Bar and Appetizers: 2:30pm-Closing
Wine Market: W-F 4:00-9:00pm, Sat 3:00-9:00pm, Sun 3:00-8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Californian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Saboor Zafari
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Cellar Door caters all kinds of events through Bistro Zafari from weddings to private parties. Please call us at 510-522-5822 or contact Roy Creekmore at Roy@BistroZafari.com to make arrangements.
- Private Party Facilities: Cellar Door can accommodate parties up to 40 people. For larger parties and catered events though Bistro Zafari, please contact our Catering Manager, Roy Creekmore at Roy@BistroZafari.com.
- Special Events: Mojito Mondays: Join us for special $7 mojitos served by local celebrity bartenders. All cash tips go to local charities.
Friday Night Flights: Every Friday night from 5:30-7:30pm, enjoy two tastes of local wines for only $10. Proceeds go to local charities.
A word from Cellar Door, Cafe Wine and Spirits
Enjoy delicious California-Mediterranean comfort food in a relaxed yet sophisticated setting. Chef Saboor Zafari creates original and classic favorites using fresh, local and organic ingredients. Cellar Door, Cafe Wine and Spirits also serves Painted Hills brand free-range,hormone-free natural meat products. Come taste the flavors of our seasonal menu and outstanding wine selection from our Wine Market with friends and family!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cellar Door, Cafe Wine and Spirits reviews from OpenTable diners
- Sophomore slump?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2013We came to this place about 10 months ago and it was great - good food, good service, and lively atmosphere. Since then it has changed names though they say the ownership is the same. I would say more than the name has changed. We visited on a Saturday eve, and the place just felt flat. The waiter seemed like he would rather be doing something else, the menu was unexciting, and the atmosphere was barren - blank walls where art could/should be, semi-harsh lighting, and just not a comfortable energy flow, (to be fair, we were seated in the back at a middle table - not their best space I'm sure). The food was ok, but nothing to write home about. Overall I was very disappointed with this latest experience and would not choose to go back.
- New Name, New ConceptTarynDined on 8/31/2013This used to be another restaurant called Angela's that had been in Alameda for as long as I could remember. When I asked our server about the new restaurant when we got there, she mentioned it was the same owners, and I was happy (I never like to see restaurants close). I was curious about trying this place ever since I had noticed the new name, and we were also in the mood for quick bites before our movie started. We ordered a couple of rounds of appetizers like the lobster poppers, and chicken sausage sliders that were out of this world! My raspberry pomegranate champagne cocktail was so good, I ordered another. It was quite a refreshing experience, and I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was awkward. WrongpracticaldinerDined on 8/9/2013Service was awkward. Wrong glass of wine sent to table. Some wine glasses were poured much shorter than others. Staff had difficulty making a food recommendation to the customer based on "taste" vs. portion size. One guest did not eating more than a couple of bites but was not asked if anything was wrong with the dish.
- Outstanding food and serviceMqstvnsnDined on 8/6/2013A friend and I went to Cellar Door to celebrate our birthdays. I had salmon; she the Ratatouille. Both were excellent. Her Caesar salad was huge; more than enough for two if you wanted to share. We were a little concerned as this place recently changed hands but we were certainly not disappointed. We will have dinner there again and have already recommended it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSmilesDined on 7/26/2013I took two friends and we were all disappointed. The food was boring and not seasoned. We arrived at noon on a Friday and the place was almost empty. We stayed for over an hour and the restaurant had one more small group finally arrive.
- Corkage at a restaurant??MohanDined on 7/1/2013I was surprised that we had to pay a corkage fee for a wine bottle that we bought off the wine list from the restaurant wine-menu. A flat $8 corkage for any wine bottle you buy. So if you had a bottle of wine for $18/- you paid close to 50% as corkage. Another noteworthy irritant was that we had to pay corkage for a wine we bought at the restaurant, the person serving tried to explain but it is not her fault, the management shoudl rethink the fee. Will not go back till they resolve that issue!!Special Features:
- Decent food and nice ambianceMeagDined on 6/27/2013It was our 7 year anniversary and we wanted to have a special dinner so we decided we would try out Cellar Door (previously Angela's). The menu is different but otherwise, it felt the same as before. We sat for about 15+ minutes before anyone came to greet us or order drinks. We were a little frustrated but finally asked someone if we had a server. The food tasted good but there was absolutely no special presentation in anything that we ordered. We aren't really foodies so it's not a huge deal. However, we wanted this night to be more special then just any other night and it just wasn't. That being said, the people are nice and the food is decent so we would go back again for a casual dinner or maybe sit outside next time.
- Sorry to see Angelas go, beenVallejoboyVIPDined on 6/15/2013Sorry to see Angelas go, been dinning there starting in Marina Village. This place is no subsitute - fish stuffed with cheese, chicken also stuffed with cheese - not to my liking. Will not be back, will miss Angelas menu.Special Features:
- Angela's has always been oneMaxchotshotVIPDined on 4/2/2013Angela's has always been one of our favorite destinations in Alameda. We stopped in on a week night for a change. It was good but not as good as we have had in the past. The roast chicken was a bit over done. The service was very good. We will be back.Special Features:
- Had better service before.JuneBugVIPDined on 3/31/2013Our waiter was very unorganized. He wrote down the wrong dish for one of our friends, causing him to dine after we were all done; and he charged us the wrong bottle of wine (the more expensive one).
- The food was good overallAlleenationVIPDined on 3/19/2013The food was good overall but my salmon was a little dry. The waiter was over-attentive.
- Angela's was fantastic! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/3/2013Angela's was fantastic! The food was inventive, delicious and reasonably priced! I cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- Historic downtown AlamedaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/27/2013Tasty lunch in historic downtown Alameda. Fairly sizable place with attached wine club - but unfortunately no time to check the latter out. Colleague & I both had polenta lasagna, which was preceded by focaccia bread & a salsa-inspired dip. All the food was bursting with flavor, nothing bland here. The one down-side we both mentioned was the lack of any vegetables or salad; the lasagna was rather lonely as the one item on the plate.Special Features:
- Our server was really niceJudyDined on 2/21/2013Our server was really nice and we ejoyed a yummy lunch, loved the house salad dressing!Special Features:
- We first found Angela's byOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013We first found Angela's by accident, when it located by Lucky's supermarket. What a surprise find! They've since moved to a nicer location, reflecting the fine quality of their food. On this most recent visit, we were warmly greeted (and exited, including above-and-beyond interactions with our 9 and 10 year olds. As always the service and food were excellent (except a long wait for mixed drinks on a Saturday night). The duck strudel is a must have experience, mixing a delicious savory tart with a sweet elegant sauce. Our fav restaurant in town for finer dining.Special Features:
- Waitress seemed to have anOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/15/2013Waitress seemed to have an attitude. We were kind of forgotten for a while until someone else stepped in to see if we needed help...all of a sudden, there she was! Food was alright, nothing stellar. One person had to wait an inordinate amount of time for soup?! Isn't that precooked? I remembered the food being more inspiring a while ago. Friends of one of the people in our group wondered why we were going here. i was surprised but now i see they mustve had a similar experience. Too many more options in the area, these days. I do appreciate the fact that they do fund raisers there and would return for those...but sorry, attitude and so-so food won't get me there otherwise.
- Very limited menu options.rayjr13VIPDined on 1/14/2013Very limited menu options. Selection is prepared well however. Wouldn't return because there was only one menu item that interested me.Special Features:
- Over ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/17/2012Went for business team lunch with 7 people. Our waitress was probably the worst one I've experience for a group lunch. I don't think she smiled once and was VERY unfriendly and difficult to understand with her accent. We had to ask her to repeat pretty much everything. I definitely saw her treat a gentleman eating by himself completely different. Once we started to place our order, she never even mentioned the lunch specials and never asked us for cracked pepper, until later when we asked, (we witness other tables being offered, but she skipped us). Upon the food being served, it was well presented. Everyone thought their meals were tasty and the selection on the lunch menu was good. Would I return, probably not for a group lunch.Special Features:
- It worked for a friend, whoLunchbunchDined on 12/14/2012It worked for a friend, who wanted to have her birthday lunch there.Special Features:
- Give Angela's a passOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/11/2012Angela's must have lost its chef because it certainly has lost its once-glorious cuisine. Salads small and unimaginative. Risotto undercooked and tasteless. Soup of the day beany with no pizzazz. Our server Eric was lazy and indifferent he failed to get all the drink irders and then argued with us when we pointed it out. Overpriced for what it offers.
- Acceptable MealQueenCaffeineDined on 12/7/2012Menu was well-designed with a variety of dishes although the portions seemed a bit small. The tables were a little dark forcing us to use the flashlights on our iPhones in order to read the menu. Service was quick unlike some of the experiences in other reviews. We would definitely go back and try againSpecial Features:
- Poor service/food, high pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2012Albeit a busy evening, we had to plead with the waitress for our drinks and even something simple as bread on the table. Once the food finally arrived, we were shocked at the portions for the prices. A cup of risotto for 18 dollars!? We laughed, and the waitress was embarrassed and brought a second serving without charge. And it tasted completely different than the first serving! The pork was overcooked, and tasteless, nothing like the menu description. I brought friends there because in the past it was nice, but it seems to have lost its appeal, and i paid a lot of money for small portions of tasteless food. Maybe they had a bad night? I can concede that if the food wasn't so off. New chef, lower prices, then I will return.
- We dined here before seeingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/9/2012We dined here before seeing a movie and was able to order from the pre-fix menu. Everything was delicious especially since it was an early bird special. I will definately come here again.
- It was ok.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2012Service was so-so. My salmon was a little bland and a little dry. Friends pork loin was very under cooked, had to send back. Staff was nice.
- Had a great date night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/2/2012Had a great date night dinner here with my wife, before seeing a moving next door. The food was excellent, the wine was fair, and the service was very good. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Not up to par!BarrancaDined on 11/1/2012Could not tell if our waiter was new and not familiar with the computer ordering system or he was just slow. Regardless, after 15 we had not received our drink orders and after 45 mins we finally received our food order. We had 15 minutes to eat before leaving for a movie. My lamb burger was well done, dry and tough. I are the the salad and had to leave. Very surprising evening.Special Features:
- Service was a bit slow. ThereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/22/2012Service was a bit slow. There was a local event and a baseball playoff game on the TV the night we were dining. We had at least 3 members of the staff helping us during our meal. Food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Attractive place, pleasanttinkDined on 10/20/2012Attractive place, pleasant people, very good service, but the food was just okay. My guest's chicken had so many obstacles (bones and gristle) that he had trouble getting at the meat!
- We had to change our reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2012We had to change our reservation time and it was easly taken care of by the staff. No problem getting a table, although we were 30 minutes late. Food was good. The main course was served too fast prior to being finished with the salads. Noise level was moderate, just as long as you are seated in the rear of the place. Do not and I repeat do not take a table near the bar if you wish to carry on a converdsation without yelling at the other person.Special Features:
- Good food, great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/9/2012Good food, great location and setting in the middle of Alameda.Special Features:
- The best little Bistro in Alameda.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/25/2012We were there to celebrate a birthday, there were 7 of us and at no time did we feel rushed or ignored. The food was well prepared and beautifully presented; our group (which included a vegetarian) ordered appetizers, a main course and dessert. Delicious! We had one of the best servers we have ever had before; this young woman was quick, unobtrusive, attentive and had a great smile. Great experience! We have been there many times before for dinner, lunch and happy hour. The service has almost always been fantastic, the food excellent and fresh, great seasonal dishes.Special Features:
- Service was very good. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012Service was very good. The waiter, knew that it was my girlfriend B'day and on his own he brought a B'day candle to honor her. We thought that it was a great touch.ThanksSpecial Features:
- Very good service. FinishedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/6/2012Very good service. Finished up with Mousse and candle...Special Features:
- The service and food we'reOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2012The service and food we're both very good. The restaurant management and bartender seemed a little more comfortable interacting with the local clientele than newcomers..Special Features:
- Angela's Bistro & Bar wasMaxchotshotVIPDined on 7/13/2012Angela's Bistro & Bar was a hit the moment it opened on Central Street in Alameda. The open kitchen gives everyone a view of what is happening as you walk through the restaurant. The service is professional and friendly. They feature fresh and local produce. The menu changes frequently with what is available locally. The lamb is always outstanding! On Friday evenings Angela's features a wine tasting of some of the excellent local wineries! It's nice they finally put their reservation service on Open Table. Angela's is a favorite and recommend to others.Special Features:
- For my daughter's birthday,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2012For my daughter's birthday, I chose Angela's Bistro and Bar for two reasons -- the menu looked appetizing and it was only a half block away from a great movie theatre, and only a block away from a famous ice cream parlor (take-home ice cream to top the birthday cake). The brunch menu was not large, but had enough different entrees to please each of us five diners. And we were very pleased with the freshness and originality of the food. Our server, Ian, was especially attentive, above and beyond the usual courtesies. Would I go again? You bet. Would I recommend it? Definitely! There's a parking lot across the street and a parking garage less than half a block away. Enjoy!Special Features:
- When Angela's was locatedWeirdHaroldDined on 6/23/2012When Angela's was located in Marina Village it was much better. Since they have located at Central & Oak they are so so.
- Limited, unimaginitive menu,LoriVIPDined on 6/14/2012Limited, unimaginitive menu, heavy on the lamb, needs to be a bit more seasonal. The food was OK. I felt it was overpriced for the quality of the cooking. The cooking was much better when it was a smaller restaurant.