Cellar 49 at Tarrytown House Estate
49 East Sunnyside Lane
Tarrytown, NY 10591Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Cellar 49 at Tarrytown House Estate
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tarrytownhouseestate.com/tarrytown-new-york-tavern.php
- Phone: 9145913183x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Hettinger
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Cellar 49 at Tarrytown House Estate
Cellar 49 is a casual, small yet energetic tavern featuring modern twists on American fare. It is located on the grounds of Tarrytown House Estate in the cellar of the historic Biddle House Mansion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cellar 49 at Tarrytown House Estate reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (35)romantic (35)neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (23)notable wine list (16)good for groups (9)late-night find (8)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- dinner with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Food was excellent. Drinks and wine were very good. Portions are large. The service was attentive. After a leisurely dinner, we continued our conversation in the lounge. An enjoyable experience. Looking forward to going there again. Note: it is a little hard to find in the dark as signs are poorly lit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh.404ErrorDined on 10/12/2014I will say that their steak was great and cooked really well. Everything else we ordered was underwhelming. Also, the ambience wasn't as charming as the ads would make it out to be. Fits in really well with Tarrytown House, which was also expensive and merely OK. Also, the restaurant AND the hotel don't have elevators. It's not very handicapped friendly.
- Wondeful DinnerElTitoDined on 10/5/2014My wife and I had dinner at Cellar 49 for our anniversary. What a wonderful experience. The walk approaching the restaurant was truly beautiful, and the atmosphere in the bar and restaurant itself was just great. The exposed stone walls and brick columns offset by the mahogany bar create a very warm setting that is personal and intimate. The service was spectacular. Everybody was very nice and certainly attentive to our every need. The food was fabulous. The portions were just right and not too large. After dinner I had a very nice glass of port which was a great end to a wonderful evening. If you are ever in the Hudson Valley area of New York, I highly recommend you check out Cellar 49.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many mistakesRailguyVIPDined on 10/4/2014My wife's crab cakes were FROZEN in the center. Kitchen redid them and they were fine. My corn chowder had almost no corn. Pork chop was tasty but too many issues.
- Food was terrificKerryDined on 9/24/2014We spent one night at the Tarrytown Estate. The Tavern apparently has a new menu. We had the special which was petit filet mignon. The steak was delicious. Mashed potatoes were extremely velvety and melt in your mouth good. Smoked gouda dip was awesome. Wilson was the host and also our server. He was super friendly and attentive. If only one complaint it would be that the Tavern lighting is really too dark. Otherwise great overall experience for a hotel restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/14/2014This is a tavern that should at the very least be able to provide a credible onion soup and a decent hamburger. Unfortunately on a Sunday evening the restaurant could do either. I was served onion soup that had no onions and the medium rare to rare burger I asked for was served medium. The fired chicken my husband ordered had a thick coating that separated from the chicken and the coating and chicken were both tasteless. I overheard the party at the next table send their food back as well. In my view, the person in the kitchen doing the cooking didn't belong there. Things were so bad, the waiter made our drinks complimentary.
- Horrendous serviceMudRouteVIPDined on 9/13/2014For no ascertainable reason, our rather uncomplicated meal took over 2 1/2 hours last night while every other table was attended to. Also, we received no bread when every other table did. Food was far from good enough to justify being ignored.
- lovely placeKimGDined on 9/13/2014We were in Tarrytown overnight, and were not disappointed in our choice for dinner at Cellar 49. The food was phenomenal! One of the best veal chops I have had, and the onion soup was awesome. wines by the glass could have been better. Overall wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDelightedDined on 9/7/2014Ate a lot more than we should have because it was so good. Very generous portions- we shared a salad and an appetizer and each had our entrees and we shared a dessert.Special Features:
- good food and ambianceeatersdigestDined on 9/6/2014the food was very good, the drinks, main course and dessert. The service was friendly and attentive. cozy basement setting-----------------------[Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Absolutely amazing food. Shrimp and grits was the best shrimp or grits dish I have ever had. The pork po boy was excellent, and the salmon with rice and spinach was also sufficient. Great wait staff and of course the atmosphere is relaxed yet sophisticated.Special Features:
- Great food & service but pricy wineSatisfiedCustomerDined on 8/30/2014As we were staying at the hotel we decided to use the restaurant on our first night to avoid driving. The decor is a bit dark but we soon got comfortable due to the warm welcome. Service continued to be attentive, friendly and professional throughout. Food was very good. The only issue was wine starting at $45/bottle - made the meal expensive. I would go back but only if I was staying there as there are several alternatives in Tarrytown, Irvington, and Dobbs Ferry area.Special Features:
- A Hidden Gem in the River TownsSpeedrazorDined on 8/29/2014The four of us enjoyed ourselves throughout the night. We began at the bar and then moved to the Game Room. After a game of pool, we sat in the lounge with our friends and shared some stories and laughs. We then entered the Dining Room where we were able to enjoy the 1964 Prix Fixe Menu and that proved more than enough of fine food. We celebrated a birthday for one of the members of our group and the staff provided us with additional desserts. It was a great time for everyone. We will be back.Special Features:
- cellar 49skata1Dined on 8/24/2014we loved it it was well worth the money the food was great and so was the service would definately come back againSpecial Features:
- Pub food, but not pub pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/23/2014We found this restaurant through Open Table and reading online reviews. The restaurant itself is in the basement of an old mansion and the part we were seated in was originally a one lane bowling alley. The ambiance was in line with the pub theme - as was the food. There were wings, burgers, salads as well as other types of food you wouldn't typically find at a pub such as diver scallops, veal chops and flat breads. All in all the food was good but everything was overpriced. The hamburger was $19 when it should have cost no more than $10. My veal chop was good quality and cooked to perfection but again overpriced for this venue. After speaking with the staff it became obvious they cater to business clientele - thus the high prices.
- Great Anniversary Dinner!CrayDined on 8/23/2014I went here with my wife for our 2nd Year Anniversary dinner and the service was incredible! The staff gave us wine glasses to take home as well as complimentary cholocate covered strawberries and brownies, good stuff!Special Features:
- Good food and serviceanybodyVIPDined on 8/22/2014The food was good and service was very nice and accommodating. However, the noise level was higher than confortable with children's loud voices as constant background... Not what you would want for a quiet weekend!
- Wonderful foodLuvtoeatDined on 8/21/2014We had the pork chop and the veal chop, both were excellent. The sides were great as well. They were mash potato and polenta which I loved. I had order white wine, that was just O.K. But we did have a Bloody Mary at the bar and that was lovely. I would go back to this restaurant even if I was not staying at the hotel.Special Features:
- Wine Cellar AtmosphereGlennPDined on 8/21/2014Very good food. Awesome wine list. Friendly staff. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nocookingnocookingDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I had an enjoyable dining experience. We were able to share our appetizer and salad as their portions are generous. The crab cakes were delicious as was the estate salad. We both found our entrees to be very tasty! We will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic settingFabulousDined on 8/13/2014My hubby and I went to Tarrytown, NY looking for a unique getaway vacation. This place was amazing! It is set in the ground floor of historic Lyndhurst Manor. Candlelight, fantastic service and a wonderful view before and after dinner really set the mood for us. It was pricier than I had expected, but not out of the realm of possibilities, so we made sure to bring plenty of money. After all that we experienced (we stayed at the hotel on the grounds) it was definitely a night to remember for both of us and I would love to go back!Special Features:
- A Perfect ChoiceMartysMemoriesDined on 8/13/2014Meeting with dear friend we hadn't seen in a long time- wanted a nice restaurant in Tarrytown where we could enjoy good food, good wine and a relaxing atmosphere in which to catch up - we struck gold with Cellar 49. It is situated on a beautifully landscaped property and we were able to grab our first glass of wine and enjoy the beautiful surroundings before ambling downstairs to the cozy restaurant. Our waiter, Paul, was wonderful - immediately bringing to our attention what was available for vegetarians on the menu and for the remainder of the evening, pacing our food and drink arrivals perfectly so that we could enjoy our food and our conversation. The food and service were superb - we will definitely return.Special Features:
- very enjoyingwingsDined on 8/11/2014excellent food great service .if you get there a little early you can walk the groundsSpecial Features:
- CFioDined on 8/9/2014excellent overall on our first visit here. The hotel was lovely, also.Special Features:
- Loved it!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Service was terrific. Veal chop and strip steak were cooked to perfection. Love this place!!!Special Features:
- monkey914VIPDined on 8/8/2014We went to meet up with friends for drinks and some appetizers. Our waiter made it obvious he was annoyed with our food selection at 9pmI would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding all aroundTmort5Dined on 8/8/2014This place blew past all my expectations. Food was phenomenal, service was very attentive. Price was right for the quality of food and service. My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary and the staff made it extra special for us. Couldn't have asked for more.Special Features:
- FussyeatersDined on 8/2/2014This was our first time there. Great find right in our backyard! Didn't even know it existed and I live in Tarrytown. Food was great and menu has very different options from the regular blah menus at so many other restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhyWhyVIPDined on 8/1/2014Our second visit and we were not disappointed. Great spot for dining.Special Features:
- nice placeHBHBDined on 7/24/2014Simple menu, friendly staff, reasonable prices. Perfect spot, if your staying at the hotel.Special Features:
- hidden gemAngKer2011Dined on 7/17/2014We enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Cellar 49. The food was all of the highest quality, the pub atmosphere was upscale, and the menu was pub fare on a gourmet level. Cannot wait to return, they have an extensive wine and liquor list, local brews, everything was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Specialcouple2Dined on 7/14/2014The restaurant has a very nice ambience and the service is very good. My husband loved the salmon entrée. However, the menu should include at least one "true" pasta dish, one chicken dish which is not fried plus a "true" vegetarian grilled vegetable dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing mealFoodieVIPDined on 7/12/2014The bread had been frozen and re-baked, it was soggy on the bottom and chewy. The same for the flatbread, the dough was soggy. The scallops and the ribs were too salty. The waiter was friendly, but he should have asked why we left our plates half full. The location of the restaurant and the ambience were gorgeous, but our meal was a big disappointment.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/12/2014The restaurant and bar are very nice -- the atmosphere is great. Bartender knows what he's doing -- my Manhattan was perfect. Dinner was absolutely delicious. It was disappointing to learn that in spite of being one of three tables of two when we arrived, that the kitchen was already out of one of their specials for the evening. Service was spotty at best, which was a bit of a shock since they were not busy at all. Bread was promised, but never delivered. Wine glasses were not refilled. No one came to check on us to see how the meal was going or see if we needed anything.Special Features:
- Good tryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014Not too vegetarian friendly. If I had a nickle for everytime I heard "we have a salad" or "we could make a steamed vegetable plate," I could buy the Brooklyn Bridge. Both my wife and I had rumbling stomaches all night--she had steak and I had a salad with garbanzos (after the server said "we don't have anything with beans.") Good pour on the drinks.Special Features:
- Brunch Gem!WestchesterCountyNewbieVIPDined on 7/6/2014Tried the brunch on a Sunday. It was the first ever offering of the brunch menu - $32 Prix fixe of 3 courses, including an alcoholic beverage and unlimited coffee/tea/juice/soda! Portions were very generous. Not the most unusual menu items, but they were fresh and delicious. The waffle sundae was especially delightful- the waffle was perfect! Service was great - servers were just attentive enough and the pace of the courses was just right to allow you to enjoy the generous portions. The grounds of the Tarrytown Estate are beautiful to stroll around after dining. I recommend highly recommend the brunch. Will definitely go back to try the dinner menu. And again for brunch, if they continue to offer it.Special Features:
- Excellentlove2eatDined on 7/5/2014Unique and delicious food…..excellent attentive service…..server was very knowledgeable and personable…..host and hostess were friendly and personable….Special Features:
- NYCKIDVIPDined on 7/5/2014The local area & attractions brought us here - we enjoyed our delicious lunch and walked the beautiful grounds & explored the period building that housed the restaurant. We were greeted warmly, seated immediately and the staff was gracious and attentive. The meals were prepared as described with fresh ingredients.Special Features:
- anniversary dinnerwhackywendyDined on 6/29/2014place was quiet. Very friendly host . Veal chop was very good. Host reserved a corner table by fireplace, as i had said it was our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Came here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Service was great and the food was delicious. The restaurant also gave us chocolate covered strawberries as an added treat in honor of our anniversary. Definitely recommend!Special Features: