Cellar 49 at Tarrytown House Estate
49 East Sunnyside Lane
Tarrytown, NY 10591Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Cellar 49 at Tarrytown House Estate
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tarrytownhouseestate.com/tarrytown-new-york-tavern.php
- Phone: (914) 591-3183
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Hettinger
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Cellar 49 at Tarrytown House Estate
Cellar 49 is a casual, small yet energetic tavern featuring modern twists on American fare. It is located on the grounds of Tarrytown House Estate in the cellar of the historic Biddle House Mansion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cellar 49 at Tarrytown House Estate reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
romantic (34)special occasion (31)neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (21)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (7)good for groups (7)great for brunch (5)hot spot (5)scenic view (4)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- A great spot of a quiet dinner for twoRussRidDined on 11/19/2014My wife and I had a delightful, quiet dinner by the fireplace. The wine list is extensive and the selection of local, domestic and international beers was impressive. My wife ordered the broiled scallops and I had the dry aged strip steak. Both dishes were outstanding. We also highly recommend the lobster bisque - it was truly delightful. The service was spot on and the waiter engaging. This restaurant is on the top of our list for our next visit to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarlenedcVIPDined on 11/14/2014Staying at Tarrytown House this was the only option on the grounds of the hotel whiere you could get a bite to eat in the evening. New Orleans fare, huge portions., a little greasy. The poor boy sandwich was good but enormous and dripping in cheese. I My first poor boy sandwich. I first ordered the beet salad but expected something more spare, it had onions, a lot of salad greens and other things on the plate, The salad dressing was loaded with nutmeg. It wasn't to my taste. Good sweet potato mash and sweet potato fries. The best thing about the restaurant was the staff. They couldn't have been nicer. Nice full bodied bottle of Malbec, Susana Balbo from Argentina. for $50.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/10/2014Dined here for my birthday and it was wonderful!Paul seemed to be the only waiter (fine to me) and he was GREAT! So friendly, made us feel welcomed before I even sat down. He recommended the smoked pork chop - maybe the BEST thing I've ever eaten. It was served with peach preserves on top and a apple slaw, cheese grits and spinach. The chop was cooked to perfection - bursting with flavor, I can't even describe it. Grits were good - perfect amount of cheese, I'm not a spinach eater so next time I will tell them to hold the spinach. My husband ordered the filet special that was cooked to perfection and served with fresh homemade mashed potatoes with bits of skin it it (YUM) and GIANT asparagus that obs. came fresh from a farm!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romance and Seasonal TreatsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Cellar 49 is located within the grounds of the Tarrytown House Estate, so you may be hesitant to book there if you are not staying at the hotel. That should NOT throw you off -it's a lovely restaurant with great service and a diverse bistro-style menu. It is a smart fit for special occasion dinners (especially romantic ones) and the wood-burning fireplace in the lobby is always welcoming.Special Features:
- Special place for special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/22/2014We enjoyed a delicious meal, attentive service, and comfortable ambiance in the top-notch Cellar 49. A great place to celebrate a special occasion or a special person in your life.Special Features:
- dinner with friendsMrsMDDined on 10/18/2014Food was excellent. Drinks and wine were very good. Portions are large. The service was attentive. After a leisurely dinner, we continued our conversation in the lounge. An enjoyable experience. Looking forward to going there again. Note: it is a little hard to find in the dark as signs are poorly lit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseridn4lifeDined on 10/18/2014During a spooky weekend in Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow, NY my husband and I came across this gem in the basement of Tarrytown House. The waiter was very knowledgeable on drink selections, and was helpful but not intrusive once our dinner arrived. The meal was amazingly delicious. The general manager stopped by and we passed on our compliments at which he seemed genuinely delighted to hear. A must try if you're in the area!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh.404ErrorDined on 10/12/2014I will say that their steak was great and cooked really well. Everything else we ordered was underwhelming. Also, the ambience wasn't as charming as the ads would make it out to be. Fits in really well with Tarrytown House, which was also expensive and merely OK. Also, the restaurant AND the hotel don't have elevators. It's not very handicapped friendly.
- quiet place to enjoy a good mealChickVIPDined on 10/12/2014This was in the basement of the hotel .. sounds weird but very nice, quiet and well appointed. Old school look but the food was well presented , had good flavor without being over seasoned ( usually too much salt in most restaurants!) If you have a chance to visit this part of the state this place should be on you list to enjoy a good meal . Oh .. the service was rite on !!Special Features:
- Wondeful DinnerElTitoDined on 10/5/2014My wife and I had dinner at Cellar 49 for our anniversary. What a wonderful experience. The walk approaching the restaurant was truly beautiful, and the atmosphere in the bar and restaurant itself was just great. The exposed stone walls and brick columns offset by the mahogany bar create a very warm setting that is personal and intimate. The service was spectacular. Everybody was very nice and certainly attentive to our every need. The food was fabulous. The portions were just right and not too large. After dinner I had a very nice glass of port which was a great end to a wonderful evening. If you are ever in the Hudson Valley area of New York, I highly recommend you check out Cellar 49.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many mistakesRailguyVIPDined on 10/4/2014My wife's crab cakes were FROZEN in the center. Kitchen redid them and they were fine. My corn chowder had almost no corn. Pork chop was tasty but too many issues.
- Food was terrificKerryDined on 9/24/2014We spent one night at the Tarrytown Estate. The Tavern apparently has a new menu. We had the special which was petit filet mignon. The steak was delicious. Mashed potatoes were extremely velvety and melt in your mouth good. Smoked gouda dip was awesome. Wilson was the host and also our server. He was super friendly and attentive. If only one complaint it would be that the Tavern lighting is really too dark. Otherwise great overall experience for a hotel restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/14/2014This is a tavern that should at the very least be able to provide a credible onion soup and a decent hamburger. Unfortunately on a Sunday evening the restaurant could do either. I was served onion soup that had no onions and the medium rare to rare burger I asked for was served medium. The fired chicken my husband ordered had a thick coating that separated from the chicken and the coating and chicken were both tasteless. I overheard the party at the next table send their food back as well. In my view, the person in the kitchen doing the cooking didn't belong there. Things were so bad, the waiter made our drinks complimentary.
- Horrendous serviceMudRouteVIPDined on 9/13/2014For no ascertainable reason, our rather uncomplicated meal took over 2 1/2 hours last night while every other table was attended to. Also, we received no bread when every other table did. Food was far from good enough to justify being ignored.
- lovely placeKimGDined on 9/13/2014We were in Tarrytown overnight, and were not disappointed in our choice for dinner at Cellar 49. The food was phenomenal! One of the best veal chops I have had, and the onion soup was awesome. wines by the glass could have been better. Overall wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDelightedDined on 9/7/2014Ate a lot more than we should have because it was so good. Very generous portions- we shared a salad and an appetizer and each had our entrees and we shared a dessert.Special Features:
- good food and ambianceeatersdigestDined on 9/6/2014the food was very good, the drinks, main course and dessert. The service was friendly and attentive. cozy basement setting-----------------------[Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Absolutely amazing food. Shrimp and grits was the best shrimp or grits dish I have ever had. The pork po boy was excellent, and the salmon with rice and spinach was also sufficient. Great wait staff and of course the atmosphere is relaxed yet sophisticated.Special Features:
- Great food & service but pricy wineSatisfiedCustomerDined on 8/30/2014As we were staying at the hotel we decided to use the restaurant on our first night to avoid driving. The decor is a bit dark but we soon got comfortable due to the warm welcome. Service continued to be attentive, friendly and professional throughout. Food was very good. The only issue was wine starting at $45/bottle - made the meal expensive. I would go back but only if I was staying there as there are several alternatives in Tarrytown, Irvington, and Dobbs Ferry area.Special Features:
- A Hidden Gem in the River TownsSpeedrazorDined on 8/29/2014The four of us enjoyed ourselves throughout the night. We began at the bar and then moved to the Game Room. After a game of pool, we sat in the lounge with our friends and shared some stories and laughs. We then entered the Dining Room where we were able to enjoy the 1964 Prix Fixe Menu and that proved more than enough of fine food. We celebrated a birthday for one of the members of our group and the staff provided us with additional desserts. It was a great time for everyone. We will be back.Special Features:
- cellar 49skata1Dined on 8/24/2014we loved it it was well worth the money the food was great and so was the service would definately come back againSpecial Features:
- Pub food, but not pub pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/23/2014We found this restaurant through Open Table and reading online reviews. The restaurant itself is in the basement of an old mansion and the part we were seated in was originally a one lane bowling alley. The ambiance was in line with the pub theme - as was the food. There were wings, burgers, salads as well as other types of food you wouldn't typically find at a pub such as diver scallops, veal chops and flat breads. All in all the food was good but everything was overpriced. The hamburger was $19 when it should have cost no more than $10. My veal chop was good quality and cooked to perfection but again overpriced for this venue. After speaking with the staff it became obvious they cater to business clientele - thus the high prices.
- Great Anniversary Dinner!CrayDined on 8/23/2014I went here with my wife for our 2nd Year Anniversary dinner and the service was incredible! The staff gave us wine glasses to take home as well as complimentary cholocate covered strawberries and brownies, good stuff!Special Features:
- Good food and serviceanybodyVIPDined on 8/22/2014The food was good and service was very nice and accommodating. However, the noise level was higher than confortable with children's loud voices as constant background... Not what you would want for a quiet weekend!
- Wonderful foodLuvtoeatDined on 8/21/2014We had the pork chop and the veal chop, both were excellent. The sides were great as well. They were mash potato and polenta which I loved. I had order white wine, that was just O.K. But we did have a Bloody Mary at the bar and that was lovely. I would go back to this restaurant even if I was not staying at the hotel.Special Features:
- Wine Cellar AtmosphereGlennPDined on 8/21/2014Very good food. Awesome wine list. Friendly staff. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nocookingnocookingDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I had an enjoyable dining experience. We were able to share our appetizer and salad as their portions are generous. The crab cakes were delicious as was the estate salad. We both found our entrees to be very tasty! We will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic settingFabulousDined on 8/13/2014My hubby and I went to Tarrytown, NY looking for a unique getaway vacation. This place was amazing! It is set in the ground floor of historic Lyndhurst Manor. Candlelight, fantastic service and a wonderful view before and after dinner really set the mood for us. It was pricier than I had expected, but not out of the realm of possibilities, so we made sure to bring plenty of money. After all that we experienced (we stayed at the hotel on the grounds) it was definitely a night to remember for both of us and I would love to go back!Special Features:
- A Perfect ChoiceMartysMemoriesDined on 8/13/2014Meeting with dear friend we hadn't seen in a long time- wanted a nice restaurant in Tarrytown where we could enjoy good food, good wine and a relaxing atmosphere in which to catch up - we struck gold with Cellar 49. It is situated on a beautifully landscaped property and we were able to grab our first glass of wine and enjoy the beautiful surroundings before ambling downstairs to the cozy restaurant. Our waiter, Paul, was wonderful - immediately bringing to our attention what was available for vegetarians on the menu and for the remainder of the evening, pacing our food and drink arrivals perfectly so that we could enjoy our food and our conversation. The food and service were superb - we will definitely return.Special Features:
- very enjoyingwingsDined on 8/11/2014excellent food great service .if you get there a little early you can walk the groundsSpecial Features:
- CFioDined on 8/9/2014excellent overall on our first visit here. The hotel was lovely, also.Special Features:
- Loved it!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Service was terrific. Veal chop and strip steak were cooked to perfection. Love this place!!!Special Features:
- monkey914VIPDined on 8/8/2014We went to meet up with friends for drinks and some appetizers. Our waiter made it obvious he was annoyed with our food selection at 9pmI would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding all aroundTmort5Dined on 8/8/2014This place blew past all my expectations. Food was phenomenal, service was very attentive. Price was right for the quality of food and service. My wife and I were celebrating our anniversary and the staff made it extra special for us. Couldn't have asked for more.Special Features:
- FussyeatersDined on 8/2/2014This was our first time there. Great find right in our backyard! Didn't even know it existed and I live in Tarrytown. Food was great and menu has very different options from the regular blah menus at so many other restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhyWhyVIPDined on 8/1/2014Our second visit and we were not disappointed. Great spot for dining.Special Features:
- nice placeHBHBDined on 7/24/2014Simple menu, friendly staff, reasonable prices. Perfect spot, if your staying at the hotel.Special Features:
- The following 97 reviews are from the Cellar 49 at Tarrytown House Estate reviews archive.
- hidden gemAngKer2011Dined on 7/17/2014We enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Cellar 49. The food was all of the highest quality, the pub atmosphere was upscale, and the menu was pub fare on a gourmet level. Cannot wait to return, they have an extensive wine and liquor list, local brews, everything was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Specialcouple2Dined on 7/14/2014The restaurant has a very nice ambience and the service is very good. My husband loved the salmon entrée. However, the menu should include at least one "true" pasta dish, one chicken dish which is not fried plus a "true" vegetarian grilled vegetable dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing mealFoodieVIPDined on 7/12/2014The bread had been frozen and re-baked, it was soggy on the bottom and chewy. The same for the flatbread, the dough was soggy. The scallops and the ribs were too salty. The waiter was friendly, but he should have asked why we left our plates half full. The location of the restaurant and the ambience were gorgeous, but our meal was a big disappointment.