141 South Lake Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.celestinopasadena.com/
- Phone: 6267954006
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:30pm and NOW open Sundays from 5:30pm-9:30pm!!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Calogero Drago
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Large parties can toast the holiday season in one of Celestinos three elegant private dining rooms! Affordable and flexible menu options make Celestinos the perfect location to celebrate any function! For more information call 626.795.4006 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Events: Come to Celestinos on Wednesday's and we will waiver the corkage fee. Enjoy your favorite regional or seasonal Italian dish while sipping on your own hand selected wine. Celestinos is a proud supporter of BYOW Wednesdays which is hosted by the Pasadena Convention Center and vistors bureau.
A word from Celestino
Celestino Pasadena is no longer a well-kept secret. The Drago Brothers continue to exceed expectations with the freshest seafood, finest homemade pastas, organic meats, and variety of desserts made on-site. Some of the favorites include; Florentine style t-bone, black and white ravioli filled with shrimp, branzino al sale, flown-in burrata and vanilla custard with an assortment of fresh berries. Come in and enjoy authenic regional and seasonal specialties complemented by an award winning wine list. We offer Dynamic private dining rooms,a full bar, garden patios, and the friendliest staff to make any lunch, dinner or special event memorable. No up charge for private room use, or wine dinners. Open Mon-Fri for lunch; and dinner seven days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Celestino - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
Celestino reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (72)special occasion (61)neighborhood gem (58)great for outdoor dining (56)good for groups (43)great for lunch (37)romantic (36)notable wine list (23)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (4)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- I love Celestino.DenagirlVIPDined on 9/13/2014It's certainly not a hip and happening spot (hooray), the decor is somewhat staid and frumpy and could do with an overhaul, the average age of diners seems about 104... but the food is always good and the waiters are attentive and engaging characters. It can get chaotic, and at busy times it can be a bit awkward waiting for your table - there is nowhere except a corridor to stand and wait or you have the bar area but that is pretty cramped - but what lands on the table comes out quickly and is usually somewhere between good and excellent. The pastas and risottos tend to be the best to order, or the fish dishes which are simply cooked and very fresh. Particularly good is their Sicilian spaghetti with sardines and fennel, also their ossobuco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rogers9603PasadenaDiner9603Dined on 9/13/2014Grat food, excellent and timely service, nice ambiance and very fair prices...this is a great restaurant! It is always a pleasure to visit Celestino's. We started with several different appetizers and went with the special of the day for our main course. They were all wonderful. We didn't even leave room for dessert.Special Features:
- Perfect Neighborhood GemgastrotouristVIPDined on 9/10/2014Celestino consistently rewards its guests. Tucked away on Lake Avenue in central Pasadena, it is easy to overlook. But the great food (fresh pasta, great starters, and wide ranging menu choices), brings us back again and again. Easy parking too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/7/2014As close to Italy as I have experienced in the U.S.Special Features:
- DanielVIPDined on 9/7/2014Celestinos is always my favorite place to dine. I know the food will be amazing and the atmosphere buzzing with people. This is a great place to make your own special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food overpriced, good; service slowlawyerannieDined on 9/7/2014Husband ordered mixed salad and angel-hair pasta (and added meatballs) and liked them. I ordered the salad with peppers and eggplant and liked it. I ordered, as an entree, a $15 appetizer of "jumbo scallops and capellini beans" and was surprised when it turned out to be two scallops, cut in half, floating in what was essentially bean soup. We ordered house chianti and the two glasses turned out to cost $24. After waiting for more than 20 minutes for the waiter to first appear, we were happy finally to receive food and drink that did taste good, but felt the meal (almost $100 for two) was very overpriced for the above food and experience. It seemed that long-time customers, and those who spoke Italian, received preferred service here.
- disappointedpasadenakidDined on 9/7/2014frequent diner here and quite disappointed to realize food quality had sunken well beneath the quality most "regulars" have become accustomed to. ambiance, service and noise levels have always been favorable. if management/ownership employs prompt corrections this fine restaurant can likely be saved.
- Nice Italian in Downtown PasadenaGolfncpaDined on 8/30/2014Went here for dinner to celebrate my birthday. Sat outside in the front patio where it was quieter than in the restaurant. Unfortunately, through no fault of the restaurant, it was very warm outside. When we asked the waitstaff to turn on the fans, he replied that they were broken. Now back to the food. Started out with fried calamari. Coating was very tasty however the red sauce that came with the dish was watery and didn't "stick" to the calamari. For our main courses, I had a pasta dish with pheasant and morel mushrooms and my wife had the seafood pasta dish. They were both excellent. Would definitely come back here, but not order the fried calamari, unless the sauce was thicker.Special Features:
- Super-fantastic!eatoutVIPDined on 8/21/2014Always a pleasure to see familiar faces of staff and clientele. Impeccable service without being intrusive. Many choices, both on and off the menu. This visit we had fish and pasta dishes -- done to perfection, no extraneous flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valet Parking for Evenings?unhappyVIPDined on 8/18/2014Good experience, but charging $4 for valet parking, but had to park our own car is ridiculous! Also, is it legal to use a company's parking lot even when their office is not open??Special Features:
- Fine Dining Italian StylePASADENALOCALSDined on 8/17/2014The food here is always a cut above other Italian restaurants in Pasadena. Fun to watch the interaction between waiters and kitchen. Pancetta is to die for.Special Features:
- Always good!Reviewer1000VIPDined on 8/15/2014We've been dinning in this place for more than 15 yrs. It is our spot for celebration, special occasion, or just treating ourselves to a nice meal, lunch or dinner, always greatSpecial Features:
- Great place!aabp681Dined on 8/13/2014Excellent location in Downtown Pasadena, great service and very good selection of fine Italian cuisine and wines.Special Features:
- Delicious Italian FoodTigerVIPDined on 8/11/2014The Italian food served is very authentic and tasted delicious! A little pricy for lunch... but worth the splurge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roman Sanchez.RomanDined on 8/9/2014The service and food were exceptional, by far the best restaurant in Pasadena and San Gabriel Valley. Valet parking was in front and no waiting.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent service and an interesting menu. Five people dined and everyone loved their food. Attentive staff created a true dining experience.Special Features:
- Food is always GreatGraceVIPDined on 8/1/2014Service is always great. We always enjoy how we are treated at this restaurant. Food is always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedkittyDined on 8/1/2014We have been going to Celestino since it opened. Friday night, expecting the usually wonderful dining experience, we were disappointed. Very crowded and not enough waiters...so although gracious, couldn't really do a good job. Scallops with beans were excellent as usual but porcini ravioli were flavorless and tasted like the porcini had flown over the sauce. My swordfish was average...I could swordfish myself last week and it was much better. Sea bass ok but not very interesting. We were not shown any dessert options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celestino's the BestticgDined on 7/31/2014Country Italian. Awesome place to take clients and prospects. Totally Entertaining. Service is impeccable. I feel like I'm going to my Grandma's place whSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First-rate serviceSoCalPatriotDined on 7/28/2014This was my 3rd lunch at Celestino's. We started with artichoke soup, which neither of us had ever had, and which had no cream--strictly purée--and it was excellent. My friend had the risotto with squid ink sauce. I admit that I was a bit hesitant when this dish of black food was served, but I did have a taste and agreed it was delicious! I had one of the specials of the day, a lasagna with zucchini, which also was very tasty. Spumoni was unavailable on this day. Our waiter, Giuseppe, was wonderful--very attentive, funny, and sang "Happy Birthday" to my friend. I will return when the weather is cooler to sit outside. The menu has a wide selection & everything ordered each time I have eaten here has been very good. Parking in the rear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DoD48DoD48Dined on 7/26/2014From the moment you walk in you get the sense that the food is going be above par Celeatino did not disappoint From the seafood salsa and the special mushroom menu Specializing in dishes that work best with morels, porcini and truffles the kitchen was spot on We sames the filet of sole with truffles and a baked lasagna w shrimp in a lobster sauce Both done perfectly. Service was a bit stretched due to Saturday night and the noise a tad high but the food came out delicious and isn't that what you're there for Would recommend this place for the lovers of authentic Italian foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rogers9603PasadenaDiner9603Dined on 7/24/2014Excellent restaurant, Great food, and Wonderful service. What more can you ask for?? The prices are reasonable too. One of my favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Giuseppe! Listen to him!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2014Best gnocchi I've had at any Italian restaurant in Pasadena. Giuseppe, our waiter, was wonderful. His recommendations for our wine and entrées were spot on. I had tried to order a different gnocchi dish, but he recommended the special gnocchi dish. I should have listened to him because I ended up trading with my fiancé and stealing his food :) The menu is limited in terms of vegetarian options; but they can make certain dishes vegetarians if you ask nicely. Also, they know how to make a proper Tiramisu! The Tiramisu was perfect with high quality cocoa powder and perfectly soaked lady fingers; it just melts in your mouth, as it should. I had a lovely evening with my fiancé, minus the rude couple next to us (hence the 3 stars for ambience).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- finickyDined on 7/15/2014If I were to come to this restaurant again, I would be very careful in what I order. Since this was a dineLA select menu event, our choices were limited, when we took advantage of the deal, which turned out to be a bad decision. Half the items we ordered were very poorly executed. While the Burrata Salad, Artichoke Ravioli and Fruit Ices were tasty, the Gazpacho, Veal with Mushrooms and Cannoli were quite awful. The somewhat cavalier yet jovial waiter offered another entree when he noticed that most of the veal was still on the plate, but we had to decline because it was already close to 10 pm. Celestino is a well-regarded, "authentic" Italian Restaurant in Pasadena. My wish is that they would take the food business more seriously.
- food was great, service was mehtraveledfromSCVDined on 7/12/2014Maybe it was who we had, older man(like old grandpa), but he made our night a little disappointing. They probably keep him around for the guests who frequent the restaurant or for the guests who are in his age range. He was a little cold, rattled off the specials rather quickly(with an accent that was hard to understand at times) and hardly checked on us throughout our time there. Other than that, the food was excellent!! Just try not to be seated in the little old man's section. ;)Special Features:
- Celestino: What a disappointmentdeedee57Dined on 7/8/2014Years ago, a foodie friend raved about the food at Celestinos. For my mother-in-laws birthday we wanted someplace special and unfamiliar. The online reviews were very mixed; we decided to take a chance and have regretted it since. While the front room ambience was lovely, the service adequate, the wine pour generous and the bread delicious, the food was a major disappointed and outrageously over priced for what it was. The only dish to recommend was the lasagna ordered by my mother-in-law. The ravioli special tasted like a dish from the Olive Garden (not good!), and my $28 special porcini mushroom risotto tasted like it was out of a box! I didn't complain since in was a celebration for my mother-in-law, but we will not be returning.So sad.
- Grumpy waiterrobinVIPDined on 7/5/2014We always like the restaurant and the food, but often the waiters are a bit grumpy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/5/2014Great spot. Wonderful staff; timing wasn't "pushed" and the wait staff was attentive without imposing. As an example, we hadn't stated we were celebrating a birthday, but the staff picked up on that and offered a creative dessert. Nice wine list. Salads/antipastos were turned out smartly and were well-presented. Mains were well-presented but lacked detail - rabbit and filet were overdone (for example, filet ordered medium rare was delivered a tad beyond medium... tasty but drier than ordered). racks of lamb were properly done but unimaginative as to seasoning and accompaniment. Not the meal expected of Celestino, tasty but lacking the detail of before. Still a worthwhile dinner option.Special Features:
- Once again we had a Devine eve.FXPEREZDined on 7/5/2014My wide always orders the Angel hair pasta. Why? Because these peeps on the line serve it up AL DENTE. I flew in from Baton Rouge to have dinner here. For good reason. The food, the staff, the peeps on the line are Pro's. Keep it up Celestino and we will see you again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so so experienceDanielVIPDined on 7/3/2014this is the second time the experience was not great, service was less than par, the food was great... will consider thinking twice about bringing new clients to this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingNicknameVIPDined on 7/3/2014Bland food. Service was off from the start. Olive Garden can compete with this place. Much better options in Pasadena.
- bigmo89bigmo89VIPDined on 7/3/2014Celestino is consistent and offers very good service. The specials always get my attention - this visit I had the Asparagus filled pasta in a porcini mushroom sauce. I have been going for business lunches to Celestino for many years- never have I left disappointed. On the several occasions that I have had dinner there, Celestino delivered. For great Italian food and a warm atmosphere, I would rate Celestino very high!I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulVIP1000dinesVIPDined on 6/25/2014Wow! What a treat! My group had a wonderful luncheon of fresh fish, salmon, whole branzino and seabass. Each with a lovely fresh sauce, roasted red pepper, olive oil and lemon. You can come dine at the restaurant and basically tell them what you feel like eating and they will make it happen. A true Italian Gem in Pasadena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best...AwinrmVIPDined on 6/24/2014The Drago restaurants are always serving the best and authentic Italian food in L.A. Celestino is the best of the Drago chain, in Pasadena.Special Features:
- Fantastic Service!FoodieVIPDined on 6/20/2014Carlos is a fantastic server. He is extremely accommodating, sensitive, and knowledgable. He offers great suggestions and is supported by a wonderful staff. We love all the staff and owner, too!! The food is always very delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun NightLuv2eatVIPDined on 6/18/2014Our waiter Mario made it an enjoyable and entertaining dinner. We tried a great variety of food, mostly recommended by Mario. They were very good. Don't think we can do better on our own.Special Features:
- Perfect in all waysDanielVIPDined on 6/16/2014How do you spell perfection? CELESTINO.... that's how.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but....pals4lunchDined on 6/15/2014We ordered the veal chop from the menu and it was delicious. Unfortunately when the bill came it listed the rack of veal special for our order at $9 more each. We complained that we ordered the veal chop, and they did adjust the bill, but we felt reluctantly. It was the waiter's fault, not ours. We still thought we had the chop, not knowing what the rack looked like, but picturing a rack of lamb. So who knows what we had as it looked like a chop to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent food, small portionsregularcustomerVIPDined on 6/15/2014The food here is good, but nothing special. Their portions get smaller every time we go, and the service is a bit slow. There are better places for the money.
- Always a joyRosyDined on 6/12/2014It's always a joy to eat at Celestino. The best of Italian food and service. Choose the back rooms for a quiet dinner.Special Features: