Ceia Kitchen and Bar
38 State St
Newburyport, MA 01950Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
Ceia Kitchen and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ceiakitchenbar.com/
- Phone: 9783588112
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am-3:00pm Lunch: Tuesday- Saturday: 11:30pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian
- Executive Chef: Patrick Soucy
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Ceia Kitchen and Bar
Where laughter is required. Jacket & tie are not. Going out with friends or a special someone means choosing a neighborly place that feels as comfortable as home, where conversation flows as easily as a smooth cabernet. Welcome to Ceia Kitchen + Bar. A new kind of nightlife in the heart of Downtown Newburyport, introducing this area"s first extended kitchen hours for later night dining or tête-à-tête cocktails with flavorful small plates. Our exposed brick interior with mellow lighting, cozy banquets and featured cocktail bar beckon even impromptu visits to this reliable neighborly eatery where singles, dates and a posse of good friends are assured of a comfortable night out with delicious food and great company. The spirit of Ceia (pr. SAY-yah) is in the translation of our name: "supper" in Portuguese, the language of one country included among the inspiring stops of our coastal European culinary repertoire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Ceia Kitchen and Bar - Best Restaurants in Newburyport ›
Ceia Kitchen and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (43)romantic (42)special occasion (41)notable wine list (32)hot spot (20)great for outdoor dining (14)great for brunch (13)good for groups (13)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Catch-up brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/19/2014We went to Ceia eager to try it since we enjoy Brine. Atmosphere was chill for Sunday which we liked. Our waiter was excellent! Prompt, good-natured & very helpful. The brunch menu has good variety. We got a meat/cheese starter-- cheeses were great; meat so-so. Sticky buns were ok-- but not much inside and so sticky outside you had to constantly pick your teeth. For mains we had French toast-nothing spectacular there. Espitata which friends seemed to enjoy but meat was a bit too undercooked. Salmon Benedict seemed to be missing a tangy element, and a Croque Madame which was delicious. Overall food was served only warm-not hot; and all of us had limp/cold home fries. Willing to give it a 2nd try. Brine is far better tho!Special Features:
- still my favorite go todiningoutoftenVIPDined on 10/12/2014over the years this place is still pretty spectacular. Having learned about the new chef and where he cooked before- I was excited to head back up to Newburyport. His food is crazy delicious.. the lamb (best I have ever ate), a broccoli salad with an egg, a beet filled ravioli with poppy seeds, and a chocolate dessert with butternut ice cream. crazy. Owner is always here and always smiling makes you feel good about supporting someone like that. if your up for it check out brine (sister spot) for oysters before.. we did.Special Features:
- JBSeaviewsDined on 10/1/2014The presentation of the food was very good, and the food was very good. The portions are very very small and the menu was a limited selection.
- Fantastic FoodfoodsnobDined on 9/20/2014as usual aside from the disappointing olive oil cake.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Food was very good. The menu online didn't match the menu. However the the menu at the restaurant didn't disappoint. The wine by the glass menu was very good.Special Features:
- Small portions/overly pricedeat4funDined on 9/20/2014A sirloin that costs $33 ought to melt in your mouth...it didn't. The delicious soup---would have been so much better if we had gotten at least 3/4 cup! Bread was delicious. Service/wait staff tremendous, attentive. Way to over priced for atmosphere, serving portion and over all quality of food. Would not return
- Interesting food for NewburyportOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014The "egg" appetizer was phenomenal. Waitstaff was super knowledgable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/20/2014After eating at Brine (their sister place) over the summer, I had high expectations of Ceia. Unfortunately it did not meet my expectations. My wife got squash blossoms for an appetizer and the sirloin for an entree. I got the foie gras and duck for the entree. The duck was recommended medium rare, came out medium and the sirloin was undercooked; rare-med rare when medium was requested. The entrees seemed to lack focus, visually appealing but the flavors didn't stand out. Our server was excellent. She was suggestive and just attentive enough, although she was doing double duty behind the bar mixing drinks which caused some delays. I would not go back.
- paythebillDined on 9/17/2014Kobe beef is overrated. Any good homemade grass-fed beef burger would be as good. Lamb was good but very salty. Duck-fat fries are overrated.
- Delicious!ElizabethDined on 9/17/2014I am never disappointed at Ceia. The menu options are interesting and creative, and always fresh and delicious. I have had small plates, entrees and desserts. All have been great. Well-made cocktails, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newburyport Gem!biscuitmanDined on 9/16/2014What a wonderful dining spot! Rockets right to the top of my favorite places in Newburyport. Cozy atmosphere, beautiful historic building, awesome food. I had the rack of lamb--melt in your mouth! Dining room was mostly empty, noise was passable. Worry about what it might be like with a full crowd.Special Features:
- pretty goodgreatexpectatonsDined on 9/13/2014I had the pumpkin soup and shrimp appetizer. Soup was great! Shrimp, meh. Weirdly mushy near the head. My friend had the salmon and loved it. Dessert was nice but cappuccino was oddly bitter. Overall a nice find given that the menu is mildly adventurous.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful spot.eDitsVIPDined on 9/13/2014Just a few tables in front, but they seated us right away. Waiters were relaxed but terrific. The Hake BLT is sensational.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening and terrific dinner !BobfromBostonDined on 9/3/2014We drove up from Gloucester to celebrate our 31st anniversary ... and had a fabulous mid-week dinner on a late summer evening. The Acústic Montsant was a great compliment to our stuffed squash blossoms and the unbelievable grilled octopus. The pasta and tuna for entrees were perfect. It was a quiet night, and Alex did a fine job with service and attentiveness to detail. We'll be back !Special Features:
- Sunday of Labor DaycgreyDined on 8/31/2014Although we had an early reservation, 6:30, many items on the menu were out, including the tuna. End of a long summer may have tired the staff?Because the bar was five feet from our table and even getting a glass of wine to accompany dinner was not delivered until I asked the bartender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceRS59Dined on 8/30/2014Great place to try different small bites, delicious, creative ,fresh food creations. Server was so pleasant, nice wine list Could eat there every week - changing menu.Special Features:
- Other choicesshark38Dined on 8/29/2014Menu is limited yet expensive. The burger is excellent but really other than that I'm not a impressed. This last visit was our fourth and proabably our last. Service was good. Sat on the third floor and it was noisy.Special Features:
- Overpriced but good foodAlizaVIPDined on 8/28/2014This place has an eclectic menu and everything we got was good. Jut ridiculously overpriced for te portion size. I am in no rush to get back.Special Features:
- Spectacular mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Sat at a high top table near the bar on the first floor. Beautiful restaurant with a contemporary industrial loft feel. Bar tender Mark was our server. Really nice guy with a excellent understanding of the menu and a wonderful sense of drink and wine pairings. Passionate about the restaurant and the menu. We will be coming back for sure. A fine dining experience that didn't blow up my wallet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Say Yeah!Foodies4VIPDined on 8/24/2014Went here for Sunday brunch and loved it. We started off with a pecan roll and a fresh berry with marscapone muffin, both baked fresh in house. I had the special which was scrambled eggs with sliced duck breast lightly topped with a Portuguese hot sauce that had just the perfect amount of spice. Another favorite was the sweet bread French toast with sliced strawberries and homemade whipped cream. All of this great food was brought to us by a friendly, knowledgeable and efficient server. The atmohere is warm, comfortable and modern.Special Features:
- Perfect Mealamc516VIPDined on 8/23/2014This isnt the first time we have dined here, but alas, it will not be the last. The selections, albeit limited, are diverse, the food is great, the wine list acceptable, and the staff great. If you are in a hurry, not the best spot as the kitchen can get backed up. Staff, however, did a great job of managing expectations. The rack of lamb is amazing, but dont over look the pastas -- a nice thing to share as an appetizer!Special Features:
- Will ReturnOccasionalDined on 8/23/2014The food was outstanding, but we had a lousy table. Next time we'll go earlier than 7.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wines and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/21/2014We were very pleased with the wine list and the food was equally good.Special Features:
- Well I say ahTenaftertenVIPDined on 8/21/2014We split the "egg", sardine, and squash blossoms appetizers whic were all eggcellent. Especially ... The egg was poached gently over fois gras, truffle butter, forest mushrooms and cognac served with crostini. The ricotta stuffed blossoms and the sardine and roasted red peppers were a perfect complement to each other. The trio were followed closely with a perfectly grilled Kobe burger and duck fat French fries. Divine! KeithSpecial Features:
- Very good but priceykarolusfDined on 8/21/2014Ceia has sophisticated but casual food and drink, not pretentious, has outdoor tables in good weather, but is not a pub. Belgian beer on tap, for example, and a selection of artisanal cheeses. Not for the price-sensitive.Special Features:
- offbeat flairgreatexpectatonsDined on 8/17/2014We went for Sunday brunch. The choices were limited, and all were kind of quirky. In the end though, they all tasted pretty good. So, a bit of forced adventure. The coffee was served in a french press, and was good. The orange juice was described as fresh squeezed, but sure didn't taste like it! Overall, I'd go back and try something from the dinner menu. A moderately upscale pleasant experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014The portions are quite small. The food was tasty - I had the halibut which was great, my husband had a pasta dish that sounded much better than the description. I enjoy sitting at the bar - wait staff very helpfulSpecial Features:
- Ceia Kitchen is great!HampsteadNHDined on 8/13/2014Ceia Kitchen and Bar continues to innovate with their menu with healthy, fresh items fitting each Season. They work hard to complement their wines with those that fit nicely with their menus while offering an opportunity to choose what you would have difficulty purchasing at even a high end wine store form the region. Go sometimes an just order a bottle of their Penner-Ash Syrah and get an assortment of their cheeses and meats! And the best wait service, knowledgeable, friendly. We loved the Lobster Pasta dish and the rare Tuna with Fava Beans. Incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingDiannaDined on 8/13/2014I went with my sister midweek and it was quiet. The decor is really nice, and food was amazing. Service was very attentive as well.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerNewtoNewburyDined on 8/10/2014We were seated upon arrival and then greeted promptly by our server. We had the bruschetta appetizer and the fusilli and chicken dinners. All were delicious! Every last bite gobbled up. We mentioned on our reservation that we were celebrating our first anniversary and Ceia treated us to a round of drinks. We will most definitely return, as there were quite a few other menu items I would love to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your average brunchFefeDined on 8/10/2014Not your everyday brunch menu but I'm not shy about trying something different. All of our meals from the rye crepes stuffed with salmon and goat cheese to the delicious little jar of chocolate decadence ,all were perfectly prepared and presented. A little pricey for brunch but who cares when the food is this fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We lucked outChefpeacockDined on 8/9/2014Arrived in Newburyport Sat PM 7:15. Downloaded Open Table and had a reservation by 7:30 for 8 PM. Rosetta de Lyon paired with the Delice De Bourgogne, House-made Grain Mustard, Berry Compote house baguette were perfect. Salad was a disappointment. Hazelnuts not toasted as advertised. Giononne Statler chix was the best chix I have ever eaten. Served with corn, lardon, tomato, basil. Skin was crispy and sinful. Breast meat was perfect and amazingly succulent. The agnolotti were great, but out-performed by the chix. The baked nectarine/lemon-olive oil pound cake was a nice finish. Service was excellent. Wine Spect. award of excellance is current. Dinner, 2 Pellegrino, a pair of Cappuccino (no bar) came to $130 with a 25% grat.Special Features:
- Not your standard American fareOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Creative, inventive food, combining a number of national European culinary styles. Our dinner consisted solely of a selection of appetizers to share, without a main course. The sauces were excellent. Superb and affordable wine list. If your tastes are plain and you are happy with straightforward American fare (salmon, steak, etc) then go elsewhere in Newburyport, there are other choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleLovegoodfoodDined on 8/8/2014Our appetizer and entree took a very long time to be served. The appetizer was not described correctly on the menu. Food did not taste very good and was expensive.
- OutstandingCeCeDined on 8/6/2014What can I say? Everytime we come here, it has been top-notch. We have the best waitress and so the service is excellent. The food can be so surprising in the combinations of ingredients and then it all comes together beautifully. Very creative cooking here. Love the locally sourced ingredients which raises the bar for taste sensations.Special Features:
- Never disappointspatrickDined on 8/4/2014My wife and I have been here a handful of times and the quality of the food and the service is always top notch. We were thinking of looking for something different for our anniversary, but we decided that we would be crazy not to go to Ceia since our experience is always amazing!Special Features:
- BBingDined on 8/3/2014Just out for a Sunday brunch , thought we would take a chance and we were very happy we did. The food was perfect, just the right amount !!!! Too many restaurants these days over do the helping's. Had a nice wine selection ..Great Rose We will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- we just had brunchEnskyDined on 8/3/2014We just had brunch, at the small table outside and it was the way Sunday brunch should be. I am sure, judging by the menu, dinner would be very special too. Have to go back. Staff is very friendly and did everything to accommodate our needs (my brother-in-law has diabetes)Special Features:
- MshuDined on 8/1/2014Definitely one of the best foodie -friendly restaurants in the greater Boston area. We have been there twice and were extremely impressed both times with the menu design and food preparation. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too noisyPhyllyDined on 7/23/2014This is a fantastic restaurant - the only problems were slow service and the noise level is far too high. I specifically asked for a quiet table - and we certainly did not get seated at one. And that was disappointing since the food is so good we wanted to linger and enjoy the meal but we could not hear the waiter or each other. Also the "special" wine of the evening was a disappointment. All this being said, we will go back happily. It is the best dining around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.