Ceia Kitchen and Bar
38 State St
Newburyport, MA 01950Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
Ceia Kitchen and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ceiakitchenbar.com/
- Phone: 9783588112
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am-3:00pm Lunch: Tuesday- Saturday: 11:30pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Italian
- Executive Chef: Patrick Soucy
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Ceia Kitchen and Bar
Where laughter is required. Jacket & tie are not. Going out with friends or a special someone means choosing a neighborly place that feels as comfortable as home, where conversation flows as easily as a smooth cabernet. Welcome to Ceia Kitchen + Bar. A new kind of nightlife in the heart of Downtown Newburyport, introducing this area"s first extended kitchen hours for later night dining or tête-à-tête cocktails with flavorful small plates. Our exposed brick interior with mellow lighting, cozy banquets and featured cocktail bar beckon even impromptu visits to this reliable neighborly eatery where singles, dates and a posse of good friends are assured of a comfortable night out with delicious food and great company. The spirit of Ceia (pr. SAY-yah) is in the translation of our name: "supper" in Portuguese, the language of one country included among the inspiring stops of our coastal European culinary repertoire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Ceia Kitchen and Bar - Best Restaurants in Newburyport ›
Ceia Kitchen and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (80)neighborhood gem (51)special occasion (51)romantic (44)notable wine list (41)great for brunch (17)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (16)great for outdoor dining (16)great for lunch (12)good for groups (11)late-night find (8)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Spectacular mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Sat at a high top table near the bar on the first floor. Beautiful restaurant with a contemporary industrial loft feel. Bar tender Mark was our server. Really nice guy with a excellent understanding of the menu and a wonderful sense of drink and wine pairings. Passionate about the restaurant and the menu. We will be coming back for sure. A fine dining experience that didn't blow up my wallet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Say Yeah!Foodies4VIPDined on 8/24/2014Went here for Sunday brunch and loved it. We started off with a pecan roll and a fresh berry with marscapone muffin, both baked fresh in house. I had the special which was scrambled eggs with sliced duck breast lightly topped with a Portuguese hot sauce that had just the perfect amount of spice. Another favorite was the sweet bread French toast with sliced strawberries and homemade whipped cream. All of this great food was brought to us by a friendly, knowledgeable and efficient server. The atmohere is warm, comfortable and modern.Special Features:
- Perfect Mealamc516VIPDined on 8/23/2014This isnt the first time we have dined here, but alas, it will not be the last. The selections, albeit limited, are diverse, the food is great, the wine list acceptable, and the staff great. If you are in a hurry, not the best spot as the kitchen can get backed up. Staff, however, did a great job of managing expectations. The rack of lamb is amazing, but dont over look the pastas -- a nice thing to share as an appetizer!Special Features:
- Will ReturnOccasionalDined on 8/23/2014The food was outstanding, but we had a lousy table. Next time we'll go earlier than 7.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wines and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/21/2014We were very pleased with the wine list and the food was equally good.Special Features:
- Well I say ahTenaftertenVIPDined on 8/21/2014We split the "egg", sardine, and squash blossoms appetizers whic were all eggcellent. Especially ... The egg was poached gently over fois gras, truffle butter, forest mushrooms and cognac served with crostini. The ricotta stuffed blossoms and the sardine and roasted red peppers were a perfect complement to each other. The trio were followed closely with a perfectly grilled Kobe burger and duck fat French fries. Divine! KeithSpecial Features:
- Very good but priceykarolusfDined on 8/21/2014Ceia has sophisticated but casual food and drink, not pretentious, has outdoor tables in good weather, but is not a pub. Belgian beer on tap, for example, and a selection of artisanal cheeses. Not for the price-sensitive.Special Features:
- offbeat flairgreatexpectatonsDined on 8/17/2014We went for Sunday brunch. The choices were limited, and all were kind of quirky. In the end though, they all tasted pretty good. So, a bit of forced adventure. The coffee was served in a french press, and was good. The orange juice was described as fresh squeezed, but sure didn't taste like it! Overall, I'd go back and try something from the dinner menu. A moderately upscale pleasant experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014The portions are quite small. The food was tasty - I had the halibut which was great, my husband had a pasta dish that sounded much better than the description. I enjoy sitting at the bar - wait staff very helpfulSpecial Features:
- Ceia Kitchen is great!HampsteadNHDined on 8/13/2014Ceia Kitchen and Bar continues to innovate with their menu with healthy, fresh items fitting each Season. They work hard to complement their wines with those that fit nicely with their menus while offering an opportunity to choose what you would have difficulty purchasing at even a high end wine store form the region. Go sometimes an just order a bottle of their Penner-Ash Syrah and get an assortment of their cheeses and meats! And the best wait service, knowledgeable, friendly. We loved the Lobster Pasta dish and the rare Tuna with Fava Beans. Incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingDiannaDined on 8/13/2014I went with my sister midweek and it was quiet. The decor is really nice, and food was amazing. Service was very attentive as well.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerNewtoNewburyDined on 8/10/2014We were seated upon arrival and then greeted promptly by our server. We had the bruschetta appetizer and the fusilli and chicken dinners. All were delicious! Every last bite gobbled up. We mentioned on our reservation that we were celebrating our first anniversary and Ceia treated us to a round of drinks. We will most definitely return, as there were quite a few other menu items I would love to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your average brunchFefeDined on 8/10/2014Not your everyday brunch menu but I'm not shy about trying something different. All of our meals from the rye crepes stuffed with salmon and goat cheese to the delicious little jar of chocolate decadence ,all were perfectly prepared and presented. A little pricey for brunch but who cares when the food is this fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We lucked outChefpeacockDined on 8/9/2014Arrived in Newburyport Sat PM 7:15. Downloaded Open Table and had a reservation by 7:30 for 8 PM. Rosetta de Lyon paired with the Delice De Bourgogne, House-made Grain Mustard, Berry Compote house baguette were perfect. Salad was a disappointment. Hazelnuts not toasted as advertised. Giononne Statler chix was the best chix I have ever eaten. Served with corn, lardon, tomato, basil. Skin was crispy and sinful. Breast meat was perfect and amazingly succulent. The agnolotti were great, but out-performed by the chix. The baked nectarine/lemon-olive oil pound cake was a nice finish. Service was excellent. Wine Spect. award of excellance is current. Dinner, 2 Pellegrino, a pair of Cappuccino (no bar) came to $130 with a 25% grat.Special Features:
- Not your standard American fareOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Creative, inventive food, combining a number of national European culinary styles. Our dinner consisted solely of a selection of appetizers to share, without a main course. The sauces were excellent. Superb and affordable wine list. If your tastes are plain and you are happy with straightforward American fare (salmon, steak, etc) then go elsewhere in Newburyport, there are other choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleLovegoodfoodDined on 8/8/2014Our appetizer and entree took a very long time to be served. The appetizer was not described correctly on the menu. Food did not taste very good and was expensive.
- OutstandingCeCeDined on 8/6/2014What can I say? Everytime we come here, it has been top-notch. We have the best waitress and so the service is excellent. The food can be so surprising in the combinations of ingredients and then it all comes together beautifully. Very creative cooking here. Love the locally sourced ingredients which raises the bar for taste sensations.Special Features:
- Never disappointspatrickDined on 8/4/2014My wife and I have been here a handful of times and the quality of the food and the service is always top notch. We were thinking of looking for something different for our anniversary, but we decided that we would be crazy not to go to Ceia since our experience is always amazing!Special Features:
- BBingDined on 8/3/2014Just out for a Sunday brunch , thought we would take a chance and we were very happy we did. The food was perfect, just the right amount !!!! Too many restaurants these days over do the helping's. Had a nice wine selection ..Great Rose We will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- we just had brunchEnskyDined on 8/3/2014We just had brunch, at the small table outside and it was the way Sunday brunch should be. I am sure, judging by the menu, dinner would be very special too. Have to go back. Staff is very friendly and did everything to accommodate our needs (my brother-in-law has diabetes)Special Features:
- MshuDined on 8/1/2014Definitely one of the best foodie -friendly restaurants in the greater Boston area. We have been there twice and were extremely impressed both times with the menu design and food preparation. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too noisyPhyllyDined on 7/23/2014This is a fantastic restaurant - the only problems were slow service and the noise level is far too high. I specifically asked for a quiet table - and we certainly did not get seated at one. And that was disappointing since the food is so good we wanted to linger and enjoy the meal but we could not hear the waiter or each other. Also the "special" wine of the evening was a disappointment. All this being said, we will go back happily. It is the best dining around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mtnjam3Dined on 7/19/2014With a reservation we were seated outside the restroom. This is the second time with an Open Table reservation that we have been seat in an odd spot . The last time we were almost under the open stairs , so you heard all the banging on the stairway . It is an old brick building and the sound even with a few people in the room is very noisey. The food is grand , the portions are not. We waited 20 minutes for a dessert they could not find the order for but they rectified that problem , instantly ! Will we go back ? Yes , it is my wife's favorite restaurant .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CAS820VIPDined on 7/9/2014Would eat there again, interesting sauces and prepSpecial Features:
- Great food good service sit upstairYahboobooDined on 7/5/2014Tuna was amazing, the stuffed pepper and bruschetta appetizers were fabulous. The blue fish special was very good and nicely done. The downstairs was a bit loud for a table of 6 to hear everyone.Special Features:
- still our fave on North ShorediningoutoftenVIPDined on 6/28/2014Since we are torn on where to go whether sister location or Ceia we always base it on what is available since neither has ever failed us. Our experience with this new menu was absolutely delicious. Our food was so refreshing! far from the norm! We wanted to sit and order more after every course. The new wine list has some really amazing French whites and the owner's love for Rose is crazy. I agreed with her pairings for new dishes and wines. If you haven't been to Newburyport you have to visit her 2 restaurants we are selfishly excited shes considering Boston too until then take the 40 minute drive.Special Features:
- Great foodHamiltonfoodieDined on 6/28/2014I am pretty picky and somewhat of a foodie. When we go out to eat, I want great food, great service & a clean comfortable environment. Tonight was fabulous!!! Service with a smile from the moment we walked in--we were greeted by smiling hostesses & had a friendly attentive server who offered her thoughts & suggestions when appropriate. We were surprised with 2 glasses of champagne, it was our anniversary, I had put that on the reservation. Nice touch, I ordered more. We left very happy, we WILL return and would certainly recommend this wonderful restaurant to others. Prices were good or even a bit under what I would expect for this. Overall - extremely satisfied. This is a tough rating to get from me but fully deserved here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salty with a chest hairCuisine4usVIPDined on 6/28/2014The restaurant was spotlessly clean. The server was friendly and upbeat. Outdoor seating had absolutely no shade which on a hot summer day is a shame. We sat indoors. The lunch menu is seriously limited. The duck confit salad would have been lovely except for two things: The duck was so salty it left a saltburnt tongue. The other problem was a black 1 inch hair underneath my food.
- Worth a visit for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/25/2014Having been to Ceia for dinner on a number of occasions (and always having a quality experience), I decided to try for lunch for a recent business meeting. We were the only diners in the restaurant at the time, so we had our choice of seating. The food was really quite impeccable: scallop ceviche appetizer, the sauteed hake with peas and avocado puree, roast vegetable sandwich, and the tuna entree (reminiscent of a modern take on nicoise) were enjoyed by all. Our server was pleasant and had a good sense of humor. Would definitely go back for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would do well in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/22/2014We eat in the South End a lot. Ceia is even better than many of those great spots. My only critism is $6.50 for bottled water seems excessive, especially has the town water is horrible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!RoseDined on 6/21/2014This restaurant lived up to it's reputation and then some! The service was impeccable, the atmosphere was friendly & relaxed and the food was incredible. My husband ordered the lamb and he said it was the best he's ever had. I ordered the grilled salmon and it was amazing. They have an extensive wine list but we chose to go with a seasonal sangria which was absolutely wonderful. We capped off the evening with cappuccino and fresh strawberry shortcake for dessert-delicious! If you're in the Newburyport area, you must try this restaurant.....you definitely will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food service a little slowYahboobooDined on 6/21/2014Food was delicious. The small plates are truely small. Nice for sharing if you want to try something and still want room left for dinner. Salads are nice and fresh with light dressing. Steak was OK. Cooked wel but just kind of bland but the chard and spinach canelloni special was amazing. We sat on the top floor, our favorite floor. The first floor bar is not as comfortable seating wise and more cramped.Special Features:
- Food for midgetskoanDined on 6/20/2014Four of us were disappointed in the minuscule portions but the huge plates. The soup was barely half a cup, the special of the day was good but consisted of 3 large raviolis. My fusilli was so salty I should have returned it rather than leaving most of it. However the prices were high. We will not return.
- Good but S.....L.....O.....WwitchhomeDined on 6/15/2014The food was excellent, as usual, but the bar and service were not up to par. The bartender left out a main ingredient in a featured mixed drink and the waiter, although he noticed, neglected to say anything until I asked him about it. At that point he apologized and took the drink back for the missing ingredient. The cocktail notwithstanding, it was nearly an hour before our main course came. That would have been reduced significantly if, on the two occasions I needed to talk to the waiter, I had been able to get his attention. From there, however, service was prompt & good. In fairness to the waiter, he was at all times pleasant and as attentive as, perhaps, possible, when handling at least five tables for nearly the entire time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre serviceDisappointedDined on 6/15/2014The food here is great - a bit pricey for me but nice for once in a while. I've been here a few times but the service I had in my most recent visit was not good. Our waitress told us it was because their sister restaurant flooded and several of their patrons came to Ceia instead but we waited almost 40 minutes for our drinks and then waited another 40 minutes for our food. They were kind enough to comp our desserts but dinner took 2.5 hours in total. No manager ever came over to explain what was going on- at the end of the night we had to ask our waitress what was happening. I'll probably wait a while before returning.Special Features:
- Best bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/12/2014I had heard of Ceia before and so glad I traveled across the border (of New Hampshire) to give it a try. Everything was delicious, presented well and worth every Penny. Home made pasta, unique cocktails, fantastic cheese, bread, yummy desserts, great service and atmosphere...we hated to leave. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just fabulous!!Luv2play10Us2VIPDined on 6/9/2014Another fabulous meal at Ceia!! The recommended wine choice was spot on! This place never ceases to amaze!! My husband and I went with the specials as well as a cheese and charcuterie and when we talk about it, a smile comes to our faces. My husband had 2 of their specialty cocktails and on the the first sip of each he declared "awesome!"Special Features:
- Great foodappleVIPDined on 6/7/2014Ceia, along with its sister restaurant Brine, are the two best restaurants in Newburyport. Newburyport is very tourist-oriented so most of the restaurants are cheesy chains or profit-focused businesses fueled by Sysco supplies. The food is always very good at both and the staff is welcoming and very well trained. We had an experience once; food came, wine glass was empty, and within seconds the hostess came over and took care of it. It was great to see her empowered to take care of the guests. Can't tell you how many places we've been, where we've sat, and sat, and sat waiting for wine to go with our food. Both places have a lively, contemporary vibe. Non-foodies may not like either one, especially Brine.Special Features:
- What a find!JemskiVIPDined on 6/7/2014I can't speak highly enough of this superb little dining spot. The dishes were beautiful to behold but thankfully more than matched appearance with flavour. Service was warm but also efficient. Nice stylish urban décor of wood, brick and steel. I drove up from Boston and it was well worth the journey.Special Features:
- Ceia - a food adventureworkoutoeatDined on 5/31/2014Beautiful three floor -restaurant for 'foodies' only. The waitress was very sweet & helpful considering she was new & waitressing could not have been easy... as everything needed an ingredient explanation. We dine out 2-3x a week but believe us--If you have a non-adventurous,. simple eater in your party skip this restaurant. Small selection, small portions. ..goif you want an eclectic dinner.