822 E Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cedardc.com/
- Phone: 2026370012x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm;
Happy Hour: 4pm-7pm
Bar and Bites available everyday from 11am-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Wild Game, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Aaron McCloud
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Cedar's team of professional planners, servers, mixologists &sous chefs headed by Executive Chef Aaron McCloud create custom menus, experiences, & events at any budget & request. Our custom packages and group options will put your mind at ease and dazzle your guests. Cedar will always go above and beyond to ensure a flawless and unforgettable event.
- Private Party Contact: Eve 202-637-0012x
- Special Events: Every Monday: $35 Prix-Fixe 3-course dinner & half price select bottles of wine...all night long! 5:30 to 10:00 pm.
Prix Fixe 3-course dinner for $35 available Tues-Sat 5:30 to 7 pm.
Don't forget to check out facebook.com/cedardc or twitter.com/cedardc for seasonal menu additions, cocktail classes, wine pairing dinners and demonstrations by Chef Aaron McCloud!
Keep us in mind for custom events, special menus and personalized experiences. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cross Street: Between 8th & 9th
- Public Transit: Gallery Place-Chinatown (YL,GR,RD), Archives-Navy Mem-Penn Quarter (YL,GR), Metro Center (BL,OR,RD)
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: $5 Self-parking Mon-Fri after 5pm only for PMI parking garage on D St (between 8 & 9 Sts). Metered street parking also available.
A word from Cedar Restaurant
'Field and Stream' with polished urban style - contemporary American cuisine using natural fresh flavors and vibrant presentation. Highlighting the seasons, local farms, and small batch brews with hand-crafted elegance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cedar Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
154 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)romantic (51)special occasion (51)neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (31)great for brunch (22)great for lunch (21)notable wine list (13)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Service was fantastic; we had alilPrawnDined on 10/19/2014guest in a wheelchair and the manager was outside waiting to greet us and escort her to the elevator. The wait staff was friendly and attentive but not intrusive. The food was excellent- passion fruit mimosas were a big hit and my banana bread french toast was so good. A friend wasn't totally in love with her pork belly BLT but that was the only thing that wasn't excellent. We had a reservation for 12:30pm for brunch and it wasn't too crowded, nice and quiet so it would be a good place for a date night!Special Features:
- Interesting MenuDCFoodieDined on 10/18/2014We ate here before a performance at the near-by Sydney Harmon Hall. The ambiance was lovely, the food very good, and the noise level such that we could actually carry on a conversation. The pre-theater menu offered lovely choices and a good price. Unfortunately the service was slow -- it took 20 minutes to even place our order and longer to get our drink. We had to ask for bread. To its credit, management came over not only to apologize but to offer a more than reasonable compensation for the fact that we had to hurry through our meal to make the curtain. We will definitely go again and are eager to try some of their wild game offerings (which were not included in our pre-theater prix fixe dinner).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs to be better known!LynnCDined on 10/17/2014Too easily overlooked in the busy Penn Quarter food scene, this spot is doing a really good job in the kitchen and in the front of the room. The plates are inventive, well calibrated across the senses and tasty. Suggested wine pairings actually work to enhance the food. A great deal of thought has gone into this menu and it shows. Service is impeccable: friendly, responsive and well timed. The pre-theater deals are amazing. Check this one out.Special Features:
- larkbarkDined on 10/17/2014The pre-dinner menu was delightful, service attentive, and we thoroughly enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Good food, attentive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2014A nice place for a special occasion dinner. Mondays feature a $35 fixed price menu and 1/2 on a selection of wines. Lobster and white chocolate soup was a great appetizer. Entrees were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slvrstar30Dined on 10/9/2014The restaurant has a nice ambiance and the menu selections were really nice. My group of friends and I ran into a couple issues where the staff were able to help us out graciously. My sister had arrived from the airport and they offered to hold her luggage in the back (and it was heavy...). Then I knocked a drink all over the table and menu and me, and they were able to find us another table (they actually moved us to a private room). They were also able to accommodate for us to add 2 additional guests who didn't even show up anyway. I really appreciated the attentive service and the waitress made us feel welcome and at home. Thank you!
- Our new theater restaurantTheatreFudeesDined on 10/9/2014Loved our first visit to Cedar Restaurant. What a treat! We made reservations prior to our theatre evening at Woolly Mammoth. The ambiance was lovely, the service was professional, friendly, and helpful. Mostly, the food was exquisite. The chef has flair for combining flavors that bring out the vibrancy of the food. We chose from the pre-theatre menu. I had the Heirloom tomato appetizer, the mushroom tart entree, and the tres leche coconut cake (a MUST, moist and not too sweet). My husband had the mixed green salad with cashews, the filet (seasoned and cooked perfectly), and the homemade passion fruit and blackberry sorbet. The portions were just the right size. And, the topper was the reasonable price. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Good, but not greatPolskaPaniDined on 10/7/2014The food was really good and the setting was enjoyable. But the service was so-so. I had mentioned in my reservation that this meal was a special occasion (birthday) and neither of us diners had ever been to Cedar. But the restaurant made no effort to acknowledge the birthday. Indeed, we were never offered a dessert menu nor after-meal coffee. So the good parts of the experience were kind of tarnished by the lackluster attention to detail at the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedNicoleDined on 10/6/2014Cedar was fabulous! A friend and I went on Monday and had the $35 fixed menu and a bottle of wine for half price. In addition to the set menu I had their famous lobster and white chocolate soup which as crazy as it sounds was delicious. Our server made great suggestions and took great care of us, Eric i believe. I suggest checking it out if you're ever in the neighborhood. Great for vegetarians as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DemetreasDined on 10/6/2014I ordered the roasted beet salad and the lobster grilled cheese sandwich that came with tomato soup. The flavor of the salad was good, although, the lettuce didn't look very fresh (some of the greens had brown edges and some of the greens were wilted). The lobster had no flavor. It looked like imitation lobster. I just remember thinking this sandwich is too sweet. It must have been the sauce that was on the bread. I did like the tomato soup. Tomato soup I've eaten in the past has been a tad bit sweet. This soup was flavorful and did not taste sweet. I wished that they served you more than 1/2 cup of soup. The lobster grilled cheese sandwich was not worth $22.00
- ExcellentSusanDined on 10/3/2014Food and wine were perfect. Service was wonderful. The restaurant was quiet and calm and we were able to enjoy our conversation. Parking was easy in the D Street lot. Our evening felt like a small relaxing vacation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014The food was great, but the service (preparation part) was extremely slow.Special Features:
- Changes are not for the betterfoxylVIPDined on 9/29/2014Remember the great lunch at Poste--- warm Parker House rolls--forget it; remember the great reasonable lunch specials, mix and match, combos, with little extras? forget them. All changed. dry bread, bizarre risotto, with odd flavored oil all over it; shrimp have mercifully survived the changes. Change is good if menu is better. But, sadly it is not. Please bring back the good old days of food folks really enjoy. a long time customer.
- CrazyCatLadyDined on 9/27/2014Great experience! Food was absolutely delicious. The portion sizes were appropriate so if you are really starving have a snack before you go. Beautiful atmosphere and great for a fancy date night. I liked the champagne cocktails they were pretty and tasty. We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- Interesting hide awayTexantonDined on 9/26/2014Came across Cedar on the internet. It is an unpretentious restaurant that serves thoughtful dishes. The corn soup was absolutely one of my favourite dishes ever while the rest we had was innovative and tasty. It is an opportunity to have something different without paying a fortune. A great discoverySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First experience - will be back!JoeCountryDined on 9/22/2014Noted with my reservation that we were celebrating a birthday. We were surprised with a toast of champagne after dinner for all at the table. Great touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taking careOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014We had a great meal at Cedar! On the reservation we noted that we both eat gluten-free & (we suspect maybe just for us) the chef made some gluten-free bread: unexpected & delicious! The food was terrific & we felt very confident that the folks who waited on us heard our "requirements" and took care to make sure we had a great meal. We'll be going back!Special Features:
- Great Food, Service & AtmosphereaawattersDined on 9/13/2014We went here with three adults (one of whom is a vegetarian) and one infant on a Saturday afternoon. We each ordered different entrees -- chicken & waffles, shrimp & grits and the beet salad -- and were all completely satisfied. We also enjoyed the French press coffee, and the desserts were absolutely delicious. We didn't have room for dessert, but couldn't resist. The service was incredible. They were attentive, professional, came over at the right moments. No one was bothered or put out by the infant who was making his "seagull screams" (that is happy screams for no other reason other than the delight of his own voice). I can't wait to go back, and would highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- What a great Find!thesocialvineDined on 9/10/2014We were so impressed with the service and food at Cedar! We had never been before and a little apprehensive when we first walked in- the hostess leads you downstairs to the restaurant, which was smaller than we thought. We were on our way to a show at the Warner and they were very attentive about our show time and getting us in and out on time. They offer an amazing 3-course meal for $35 as a theater menu and we were blown away with the quality and flavors. I got the filet and my fiance got the veal both delicious. Our server Mara was so on top of it! We loved it and will return...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful lunchsmccVIPDined on 9/10/2014Love Cedar Restaurant's Scottish Salmon dish - have it every time I go. Great service too.Special Features:
- Need2pleaseDined on 9/5/2014had the pre-theatre three course meal with another couple. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The food was great....would highly recommend.
- Large GroupomnivoreDined on 8/30/2014Cedar was fantastic for a large family gathering (10 people). They have a little "room" to the left of the stairs where you arrive that can be curtained off from the rest of the restaurant. The background music was quite soft, so we were able to have great conversations and normal voice levels. The wait staff was very attentive even though we were secluded from the rest of the restaurant. The members of the group who arrived first really enjoyed sitting at the bar and ordering delicious, fun cocktails before the rest got there. The food was great and everyone found something to order and get excited about. In particular, one family member is a vegan and they have a whole separate vegan menu. I highly recommend Cedar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and ExperienceAManThatEatsDined on 8/27/2014The food is adventurous and perfectly prepared and presented. I've eaten at Cedar 5 times and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Inventive menu!!GoodEatingDined on 8/24/2014We had a large group (10 people) and had good service AND separate checks! Good food! Loved the salmon grilled cheese!!! Very yummy! Everyone enjoyed their food!Special Features:
- Neat find in the Penn Quarter areaturcoralDined on 8/22/2014Went on the last Friday of DC summer restaurant week. We arrived for our 8:30 reservation and were one of only three parties dining at that time in this small and cozy restaurant. Thought they might be more crowded given the DCRW event but many residents are on vacation at that time of year. Eric, our waiter, was outstanding. Very knowledgeable on the menu and obviously very well trained. RW menu offered several choices (some don't) and he helped us navigate them with genuine insight on what was going on in the kitchen. Opted for the paired wine flight with each course and the choices were excellent - each wine matched with, and complementing, the specific course we had to a T. Would definitely go back - possibly for brunch next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantZiggy13VIPDined on 8/21/2014The food is just wonderful and the service is superb. Went here twice during restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, hugely accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014I reserved a table for six hoping they'd be okay that one guest was a baby. We were skeptical at first because they don't have an elevator, but as soon as we got the baby and his necessary gear down to the restaurant, they were nothing but helpful. They stowed his stroller, brought a high chair (even though we said we could just put his car seat on a regular chair), and were even interested to know about the baby himself. As if this wasn't enough to make us happy, the food and drinks were great and they were able to get our prix fixe meal out to us with enough time to get to the after dinner show we had planned on attending. They even let us use the service elevator they have. We will definitely be back to Cedar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent all roundtatlarDined on 8/20/2014Food is creative and of exceptional quality. Staff and service is outstanding. A hidden gem.Special Features:
- good in spite of locavore schtickNobHilleryDined on 8/19/2014so many 'loco' restos are pure hype, riding the latest foodie wave. this plave has honest, good food, and while the chef is slightly bitten by the wacky/outre ingredient bug on the whole it is prettyuch plain good food at a reasonable priceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, location and servicekvmdDined on 8/19/2014Our group of 5 all loved their food, their wine and the attentive waiter. We experienced CEDAR during restaurant week and were impressed with the fixprix offerings, and, wine pairings. what a great location when going to Shakespeare Theatres or Verizon center; close but out of the jostle. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- SteveVIPDined on 8/18/2014We were most impressed with our most recent dinner at Cedar. The tomato salad was a delight and the salmon was perfect - and all at restaurant week prices. Thanks!
- SCCLDined on 8/17/2014The staff was friendly and accommodating, and the drinks and main part of our meal were exceptional. My only comments would be that it is a bit awkward to get downstairs if you need to use an elevator (we had a baby stroller with us) as the elevator entrance is located in another building and you sort of have to go in the restaurant through a back way (though the hostess led us there); the other comment is that the desserts were too sweet - the app and entree was delicious but I actually wished that I hadn't gotten dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly pleasant but not ...pickyeaterDined on 8/17/2014outstanding. Went for brunch w large group. Made reservation evening before. Was nonrefundable, credit card required. Could be cancelled 2 days prior;otherwise a penalty. Hosts pleasant. We ran late & they were happy to hold our table. Restaurant intimate & in cellar. Staff all very friendly. Prices reasonable. Brunch menu limited. Banana nut crunch french toast was fabulous though only 2 slices of toast barely satisfied. Also ordered flank steak & eggs, sausage & eggs, shrimp & grits. All portions were small. Shrimp & grits came w maybe 2 Tbs of grits. Pretty disappointing. It was nicely flavored, however. Sausages, venison and rabbit, were good. One would not go wrong dining here. On the other hand, it won't make your "MUST return" list.Special Features:
- Absolutely amazingGreatSpotDined on 8/16/2014When I made this reservation, I was expecting the full menu to be available to me. It was Washington DC Restaurant week so they had a limited menu available. Everything was still amazing. I will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!mrg123Dined on 8/16/2014My husband and I tried Cedar for restaurant week, and we can't wait to go back! What an outstanding menu. The plating, food, ambiance, service, was all so fabulous. I cannot recommend Cedar enough.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekrheasDined on 8/16/2014Went here for restaurant week with a group of 6, and everyone was running late. The kind hostess pushed our reservation back by an hour for us and meanwhile a few of us enjoyed the happy hour at the bar. We were seated in a private corner of the restaurant, and everything we picked was DELICIOUS. The bartender made a custom drink for one person and brought us a round of shooters with our dessert. It was overall one of the best experiences I've had at a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!RRRRDined on 8/16/2014The people and food are awesome. I can't say much because I had a really good experience all around with the food during restaurant week and the staff is exceptional.Special Features:
- Highly Rated by OthersmetalDined on 8/16/2014We waited 30 min for our appetizers. The ceviche came with sorbet and a toast stick which would have been better with the soup, which arrived without a spoon. The soup tasted artificially sweetened and the ceviche, with tomato base, was awful. Lunch was wild boar meatloaf swimming in ketchup and a burger, medium, but unremarkable. Both with limp Parmesan fries. The waiter never returned and I had to flag down the busboy for water when my guest had a coughing spell. Dessert was an odd assembly of toasted coconut, cake, sorbet, and a thick mango glaze. The Cedar sundae was strange; hazelnut ice cream with cold, sweet potato "tater tots." We were "done" and found our server for the check. He did attempt an apology.
- Cedar- restaurant weekJohnDined on 8/15/2014For DC Restaurant Week, I chose Cedar off of the recommendation of a friend who had gone there once before a show. Although the service was upbeat, friendly and engaging, the ambiance and decor left little to be desired. The food was creative, but flavors (particularly the seasoning of the entrees) fell flat. Proteins were overcooked. This location was worth the $35 fixed menu price, but I do not see myself returning and paying regular price.Special Features:
- Miscooked meatsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014The only reasons I gave just three stars to food and service were that my lamb was cooked well instead of the requested medium rare, and my husband's steak was cooked medium rare instead of the requested well. Our server disappeared after the entree was delivered, so we were unable to point out the error. As we had to get to a play, my husband and I switched plates to solve our problem and save time. I mentioned the error to our server when she came after we'd finished, and all she said was that she'd let the chef know--no apology or explanation for her disappearance. We've been to Cedar before and had wonderful food and service, so this might have been an anomaly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.