822 E Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cedardc.com/
- Phone: (202) 637-0012
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm;
Happy Hour: 4pm-7pm
Bar and Bites available everyday from 11am-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Wild Game, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Aaron McCloud
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Cedar's team of professional planners, servers, mixologists &sous chefs headed by Executive Chef Aaron McCloud create custom menus, experiences, & events at any budget & request. Our custom packages and group options will put your mind at ease and dazzle your guests. Cedar will always go above and beyond to ensure a flawless and unforgettable event.
- Private Party Contact: Eve 202-637-0012x
- Special Events: Every Monday: $35 Prix-Fixe 3-course dinner & half price select bottles of wine...all night long! 5:30 to 10:00 pm.
Prix Fixe 3-course dinner for $35 available Tues-Sat 5:30 to 7 pm.
Don't forget to check out facebook.com/cedardc or twitter.com/cedardc for seasonal menu additions, cocktail classes, wine pairing dinners and demonstrations by Chef Aaron McCloud!
Keep us in mind for custom events, special menus and personalized experiences. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cross Street: Between 8th & 9th
- Public Transit: Gallery Place-Chinatown (YL,GR,RD), Archives-Navy Mem-Penn Quarter (YL,GR), Metro Center (BL,OR,RD)
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: $5 Self-parking Mon-Fri after 5pm only for PMI parking garage on D St (between 8 & 9 Sts). Metered street parking also available.
A word from Cedar Restaurant
'Field and Stream' with polished urban style - contemporary American cuisine using natural fresh flavors and vibrant presentation. Highlighting the seasons, local farms, and small batch brews with hand-crafted elegance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cedar Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (86)special occasion (52)romantic (44)neighborhood gem (43)good for groups (37)great for lunch (28)great for brunch (25)notable wine list (15)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- They took great care of usvegetarianDined on 7/11/2014We ended up as a group of 17. Without even asking, we were given separate checks! Everyone had a great time.Special Features:
- maryVIPDined on 7/10/2014Another of several wonderful dinners here. Restaurant decor is so inviting. Interesting and well prepared menu. Great service. Has a lively bar scene but also quiet nooks to dine. Great place for a pre-theatre dinner.Special Features:
- LeenDined on 7/8/2014Our first time here. We were very satisfied. Service was great; food was excellent; ambience was quite and pleasant. It is a great downtown restaurant. You could eat here when you were going to many events in the city.Special Features:
- Expect great foodDanielDined on 7/8/2014The staff is very friendly and they all work together as one. Food was exceptional. Could not have had a better dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Free HeavenStephanieDined on 7/5/2014I took my family here on a whim, not knowing that this place is heaven for people with celiac disease, like me. Our server was knowledgeable about my options, including swapping out GF bread on the crab cake benedict (which is made without breadcrumbs). The food was delicious, as brunch normally is. The quiet dining area and the overall atmosphere of the restaurant are also big pluses in my book. They only thing I would criticize was the gluten free bread -- way too dense, and kind of gooey. Probably will opt for something different next time, but I'm definitely going back.Special Features:
- great dinner on July 4foodieVIPDined on 7/4/2014Pre fireworks, 5 of us met at Cedar Restaurant on July 4. We got our private room, great service and a delicious meal. I knew the food would be good as I had eaten there before, but being given a private space and great waitress made it really special.Special Features:
- Not sure what I was expecting.tmak18Dined on 7/4/2014Good location. We were seated promptly, so that was good. There were a lot of tables open, but we were seated right next to another couple for some reason. We ordered the scallops, the Texas Wild Boar, and the Cobia dish. Everything was sub par. The scallops were doused in black pepper. The Cobia was like something you'd get at Coastal Flats. Not worth the $28. The Wild Boar was tiny. You get two bone in loin chops, but the size of both put together was roughly the size of a computer mouse, about 4 ounces. It was tough, despite being cooked medium, and it tasted like something you could get from a local BBQ joint. Not worth $28 either. Would not recommend.
- Lucky findHodorDined on 7/4/2014We got lucky with Cedar. Whereas all the neighborhood hot spots had 45 minute waits during happy hour, we walked into Cedar and were immediately seated at the bar. Ambience was warm and elegant, and rather quiet compared to loud restaurants that we passed before finding Cedar. Excellent happy hour deals -- $5 cocktails and bar food. Would come back for happy hour or a special occasion.Special Features:
- LauraVIPDined on 7/3/2014We did the pre-threatre wine pairings and found each course and wine interesting and very well done. My husband had the cod and he said it was outstanding. I had the pork tenderloins with gnocchis and the dish was great also - very interesting combinations. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Awesome!CarJasDined on 7/2/2014My husband and I celebrated out 21st Anniversary at Cedars and it was a wonderful experience and a great way to kick off the next 21 (or so) years together. The service was incredible, just the right amount of hovering. Timing of cocktails, appetizers, meal and dessert was right on. I recommend the scallop appetizer and the lamb entre.Special Features:
- Quiet, Relaxing BrunchmisemanDined on 6/28/2014Nice atmosphere, quiet and sophisticated. Food choices outstanding, though a bit pricey. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- We love Cedar!SYDthaKidDined on 6/26/2014My husband and I have been to Cedar three time already this year. We absolutely love the food here and the food was/is always excellent. We took my mother-in-law here for her birthday and she enjoyed it as well! She was tempted to go into the kitchen to thank the Chef for the wonderful meal. Our server was excellent as well. Love, love, love this place!Special Features:
- Good food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/25/2014We were greeted and seated by the chef, a nice touch. We placed drink orders shortly after. My wine arrived and my dining companions beer did not serve for about 10 minutes. In that time, the waitress did not stop by. She seemed surprised when she finally stopped back by. She promised it would be delivered soon. About 5 minutes later, she said the keg was bring changed and the manager would be by to explain. A bartender dropped off the drink 5 minutes later without saying anything. When we had been served and were about half-way done, the manager stopped by to explain. Fine. He asked if my friend would like another one. She said sure. We received the bill with a charge for the beer that we had waited about 25 minutes for.
- Innovative, interesting, real valueJohnDined on 6/24/2014Cedar consistently has delicious and interesting food, at very reasonable prices. Usually it is a good place for conversation over dinner - it can be noisy with the pre-theater crowd, but quietens down after that. I have recommended Cedar to several friends and all have been delighted there.Special Features:
- all good except...anniversaryVIPDined on 6/23/2014all good except the portion sizes for entrees could be a bit bigger given the cost. but great food and super nice wait staff!
- Great pre-theater spotBCareyDined on 6/21/2014We enjoy going to Cedar early and using the pre-theater menu. The staff paid attention to the fact that we were going to a show at the Shakespeare theater and managed our meal accordingly. The three-course pre-theater menu was great.Special Features:
- Still delicious!PaddcDined on 6/18/2014The food here is fabulous. The menu is different, and every bite is worth savoring. We cleaned our plates. The service is also wonderful. We had 7:00 reservations, and it was noisy, but by 8:00 it had really tapered off. If you'd like a quieter meal, I'd recommend making reservations for later in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very SolidOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/18/2014The food here probably deserves more than four stars, though not five. They have a separate vegan menu and a vegetarian option on the main menu. I had a vegan dish, mushroom spring rolls, and my wife had boar. We both enjoyed the entrees immensely. Same with the appetizers, potato soup and chilled pea soup. The only miss of the night was the vegan creme brulee, which was only so-so. Our server was very friendly and helpful, though at times it seemed like the restaurant could have used an extra server. The restaurant itself is set downstairs so it has a bit of a lounge feel. There are no windows and a bar occupies a major chunk of the room. A nice place, but it has a very D.C. vibe as a result of the setting.
- Nice setting; great serviceMrEatzDined on 6/18/2014Table was nicely done; service was excellent; kept returning regularly to check on us. Unique menu and very nicely prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for brunchWashingtonian757Dined on 6/15/2014This place had great food and drinks for Sunday brunch. They had chicken and waffles and banana bread french toast that was amazing. They also have unique finds like different varieties of sausage (elk, boar, pheasant, to name a few). Very unique drinks such as a variety of champagne cocktails that were very tasty. Well priced but not overly so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tip for DC power lunchesOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/11/2014Very tasty food, quiet atmosphere, good service and decent prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was okay, water was slow.StefanVIPDined on 6/9/2014The food was decent, but nothing special, and the server took about 10 minutes to refill my water each time it was empty. The ambience is fine, although a little dark if you have poor night vision.
- More selections, consistently goodcedarVIPDined on 6/9/2014Nice to see that the menu has expanded with some very appealing selections. I went with the steak salad which, with a touch of crumbled blue cheese, is really good. I haven't been in DC for a while and I am happy to confirm that Cedar hasn't missed a beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carlos Moranch8230Dined on 6/7/2014I went to Cedar based on their web site which made a point to speak of fresh ingredients. I ordered a Braised Pork BLT which was great but my wife's Wild game meat load left a lot to be desired. It came on a bun but the meat loaf was way to big to be in a bun. In short out of all the ingredients the only one that stood out were the great mushrooms that came on the bun. On another note - there was only one server for 5+ tables and the wait was long but on a positive note the staff was very friendly. I don't regret going but I'll def. pass next time.
- SurpriseSpikeVIPDined on 5/31/2014Excellent restaurant. A lovely discovery. Clever design and lighting makes a completely underground space very comfortable, very pleasant. Food interesting, fresh and well-prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TERRIFIC CELEBRATIONhighexpectationsDined on 5/29/2014The restaurant staff went out of its way to make a family event special, adult birthday with wines paired to the fantastic food! Special attention from the moment we walked in, starting from the host to the bartender to the servers. A great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemProbStatDined on 5/27/2014The food at Cedar is off the charts. I make better bread myself than all but a very few restaurants serve, but Cedar's bread (I have to admit) is better than mine. And that's just the bread. I had leek and potato soup with lump fish caviar that was very good, but my entree of roast pork tenderloin was even better. It was perfectly cooked: I wondered at first if it might not be too rare, but it had hit the perfect sweet spot of having turned the meat without losing any juiciness. The decor leaves a bit to be desired. Cedar is crammed into a basement space with an entrance consisting mainly of a stairway. The surfaces in the interior reflected sound too much, and some overly loud politicos at the bar detracted from the dining.Special Features:
- Best Dining Experience In DCOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/23/2014Took my friend to Cedar for her birthday on Friday night. We ordered 3 entrees: roast chicken, scallops and mushroom tart. The flavor and presentation were amazing. The staff was very personal. We couldn't believe we never went here before. We were blown away. I went back the next night for another birthday dinner and it was even better. I tried the Cod and Lamb. One of the diners in our group had the vegan meal. The presentation and flavor were outstanding. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening and Happy HourDCDinerDined on 5/23/2014Had a delightful evening with anohter couple. Great Service plus Excellent and Interesting cuisine. A little noisy, but the bar scent looked excellent.Special Features:
- table for 6FranceMadeMeAFoodieDined on 5/17/2014a great meal all around. appetizers, meals, and dessert. the goat cheese mousse was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre-theater dinnerbzfoodieVIPDined on 5/17/2014The ambiance and service were nice and their presentation was excellent. The food did not deliver though, it was just ok and nothing special. Smaller portions and somewhat pricy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014I came here with my parents and we all had a wonderful dinner. The entire expierence from the cocktails before dinner, to the service, amuse bouche, appetizers, dinner, and dessert was all amazing. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well DoneJoeSTRPVIPDined on 5/15/2014Went here with a group of colleagues all attending a conference in DC. Food was excellent and I would recommend it to anyone. The service was attentive but a bit harried as the restaurant was very busy (a good sign). Only complaint was that the restaurant itself was a bit stuffed in (too many tables and chairs close to each other) and the temperature was very warm and stuff in the restaurant---it was unseasonable warm during this May visit for a DC evening, and there was across the board mention of how hot it was in the restaurant. One of our diners in suit and tie was sweating during the meal.Special Features:
- Vegan MenucolcolcolDined on 5/15/2014Head's up, they have an outstanding vegan menu. Not your typical vegan fare, really well executed, interesting dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday specialErnieDined on 5/13/2014Went for "landmark birthday" and the staff made it memorable.Special Features:
- Chef Extraordinary!N2FabFoodVIPDined on 5/10/2014Everything about food and ambiance was superb. Wait staff a bit inattentive and bar tender needs to be trained or replaced - could not make a basic drink! But food so great overshadowed all else !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealKris5885VIPDined on 5/9/2014Took 2 friends and we all had great meals with great service. Our 7:30 reservation moved to 8 due to friends arriving late and it was graciously accommodated. GF bread, drinks and dessert not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/6/2014Cedar's always has an varied and interesting menu, and the food and service are first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A MUST do ExperienceEbonyQueenDined on 5/4/2014I will say this in a short and sweet way... "I loved it"! This spot is a great for brunching with the girls! The cocktails were great especially the "Ideal husband"...lol! We had two of them each! Lastly,this hot spot is a foodie girls dream, go have this experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cedar BrunchKarenJDined on 5/4/2014Brunch was delicious, and the menu had an interesting array of cocktail options. Plan to return for their $35 3-course Prix fixe optionSpecial Features: