822 E Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cedardc.com/
- Phone: 2026370012x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm;
Happy Hour: 4pm-7pm
Bar and Bites available everyday from 11am-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Wild Game, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Aaron McCloud
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Cedar's team of professional planners, servers, mixologists &sous chefs headed by Executive Chef Aaron McCloud create custom menus, experiences, & events at any budget & request. Our custom packages and group options will put your mind at ease and dazzle your guests. Cedar will always go above and beyond to ensure a flawless and unforgettable event.
- Private Party Contact: Eve 202-637-0012x
- Special Events: Every Monday: $35 Prix-Fixe 3-course dinner & half price select bottles of wine...all night long! 5:30 to 10:00 pm.
Prix Fixe 3-course dinner for $35 available Tues-Sat 5:30 to 7 pm.
Don't forget to check out facebook.com/cedardc or twitter.com/cedardc for seasonal menu additions, cocktail classes, wine pairing dinners and demonstrations by Chef Aaron McCloud!
Keep us in mind for custom events, special menus and personalized experiences. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cross Street: Between 8th & 9th
- Public Transit: Gallery Place-Chinatown (YL,GR,RD), Archives-Navy Mem-Penn Quarter (YL,GR), Metro Center (BL,OR,RD)
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: $5 Self-parking Mon-Fri after 5pm only for PMI parking garage on D St (between 8 & 9 Sts). Metered street parking also available.
A word from Cedar Restaurant
'Field and Stream' with polished urban style - contemporary American cuisine using natural fresh flavors and vibrant presentation. Highlighting the seasons, local farms, and small batch brews with hand-crafted elegance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cedar Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (88)special occasion (56)romantic (54)neighborhood gem (40)good for groups (34)great for brunch (26)great for lunch (24)notable wine list (20)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Taking careOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014We had a great meal at Cedar! On the reservation we noted that we both eat gluten-free & (we suspect maybe just for us) the chef made some gluten-free bread: unexpected & delicious! The food was terrific & we felt very confident that the folks who waited on us heard our "requirements" and took care to make sure we had a great meal. We'll be going back!Special Features:
- Great Food, Service & AtmosphereaawattersDined on 9/13/2014We went here with three adults (one of whom is a vegetarian) and one infant on a Saturday afternoon. We each ordered different entrees -- chicken & waffles, shrimp & grits and the beet salad -- and were all completely satisfied. We also enjoyed the French press coffee, and the desserts were absolutely delicious. We didn't have room for dessert, but couldn't resist. The service was incredible. They were attentive, professional, came over at the right moments. No one was bothered or put out by the infant who was making his "seagull screams" (that is happy screams for no other reason other than the delight of his own voice). I can't wait to go back, and would highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- What a great Find!thesocialvineDined on 9/10/2014We were so impressed with the service and food at Cedar! We had never been before and a little apprehensive when we first walked in- the hostess leads you downstairs to the restaurant, which was smaller than we thought. We were on our way to a show at the Warner and they were very attentive about our show time and getting us in and out on time. They offer an amazing 3-course meal for $35 as a theater menu and we were blown away with the quality and flavors. I got the filet and my fiance got the veal both delicious. Our server Mara was so on top of it! We loved it and will return...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful lunchsmccVIPDined on 9/10/2014Love Cedar Restaurant's Scottish Salmon dish - have it every time I go. Great service too.Special Features:
- Need2pleaseDined on 9/5/2014had the pre-theatre three course meal with another couple. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The food was great....would highly recommend.
- Large GroupomnivoreDined on 8/30/2014Cedar was fantastic for a large family gathering (10 people). They have a little "room" to the left of the stairs where you arrive that can be curtained off from the rest of the restaurant. The background music was quite soft, so we were able to have great conversations and normal voice levels. The wait staff was very attentive even though we were secluded from the rest of the restaurant. The members of the group who arrived first really enjoyed sitting at the bar and ordering delicious, fun cocktails before the rest got there. The food was great and everyone found something to order and get excited about. In particular, one family member is a vegan and they have a whole separate vegan menu. I highly recommend Cedar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and ExperienceAManThatEatsDined on 8/27/2014The food is adventurous and perfectly prepared and presented. I've eaten at Cedar 5 times and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Inventive menu!!GoodEatingDined on 8/24/2014We had a large group (10 people) and had good service AND separate checks! Good food! Loved the salmon grilled cheese!!! Very yummy! Everyone enjoyed their food!Special Features:
- Neat find in the Penn Quarter areaturcoralDined on 8/22/2014Went on the last Friday of DC summer restaurant week. We arrived for our 8:30 reservation and were one of only three parties dining at that time in this small and cozy restaurant. Thought they might be more crowded given the DCRW event but many residents are on vacation at that time of year. Eric, our waiter, was outstanding. Very knowledgeable on the menu and obviously very well trained. RW menu offered several choices (some don't) and he helped us navigate them with genuine insight on what was going on in the kitchen. Opted for the paired wine flight with each course and the choices were excellent - each wine matched with, and complementing, the specific course we had to a T. Would definitely go back - possibly for brunch next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantZiggy13VIPDined on 8/21/2014The food is just wonderful and the service is superb. Went here twice during restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, hugely accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014I reserved a table for six hoping they'd be okay that one guest was a baby. We were skeptical at first because they don't have an elevator, but as soon as we got the baby and his necessary gear down to the restaurant, they were nothing but helpful. They stowed his stroller, brought a high chair (even though we said we could just put his car seat on a regular chair), and were even interested to know about the baby himself. As if this wasn't enough to make us happy, the food and drinks were great and they were able to get our prix fixe meal out to us with enough time to get to the after dinner show we had planned on attending. They even let us use the service elevator they have. We will definitely be back to Cedar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent all roundtatlarDined on 8/20/2014Food is creative and of exceptional quality. Staff and service is outstanding. A hidden gem.Special Features:
- good in spite of locavore schtickNobHilleryDined on 8/19/2014so many 'loco' restos are pure hype, riding the latest foodie wave. this plave has honest, good food, and while the chef is slightly bitten by the wacky/outre ingredient bug on the whole it is prettyuch plain good food at a reasonable priceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, location and servicekvmdDined on 8/19/2014Our group of 5 all loved their food, their wine and the attentive waiter. We experienced CEDAR during restaurant week and were impressed with the fixprix offerings, and, wine pairings. what a great location when going to Shakespeare Theatres or Verizon center; close but out of the jostle. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- SteveVIPDined on 8/18/2014We were most impressed with our most recent dinner at Cedar. The tomato salad was a delight and the salmon was perfect - and all at restaurant week prices. Thanks!
- SCCLDined on 8/17/2014The staff was friendly and accommodating, and the drinks and main part of our meal were exceptional. My only comments would be that it is a bit awkward to get downstairs if you need to use an elevator (we had a baby stroller with us) as the elevator entrance is located in another building and you sort of have to go in the restaurant through a back way (though the hostess led us there); the other comment is that the desserts were too sweet - the app and entree was delicious but I actually wished that I hadn't gotten dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly pleasant but not ...pickyeaterDined on 8/17/2014outstanding. Went for brunch w large group. Made reservation evening before. Was nonrefundable, credit card required. Could be cancelled 2 days prior;otherwise a penalty. Hosts pleasant. We ran late & they were happy to hold our table. Restaurant intimate & in cellar. Staff all very friendly. Prices reasonable. Brunch menu limited. Banana nut crunch french toast was fabulous though only 2 slices of toast barely satisfied. Also ordered flank steak & eggs, sausage & eggs, shrimp & grits. All portions were small. Shrimp & grits came w maybe 2 Tbs of grits. Pretty disappointing. It was nicely flavored, however. Sausages, venison and rabbit, were good. One would not go wrong dining here. On the other hand, it won't make your "MUST return" list.Special Features:
- Absolutely amazingGreatSpotDined on 8/16/2014When I made this reservation, I was expecting the full menu to be available to me. It was Washington DC Restaurant week so they had a limited menu available. Everything was still amazing. I will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!mrg123Dined on 8/16/2014My husband and I tried Cedar for restaurant week, and we can't wait to go back! What an outstanding menu. The plating, food, ambiance, service, was all so fabulous. I cannot recommend Cedar enough.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekrheasDined on 8/16/2014Went here for restaurant week with a group of 6, and everyone was running late. The kind hostess pushed our reservation back by an hour for us and meanwhile a few of us enjoyed the happy hour at the bar. We were seated in a private corner of the restaurant, and everything we picked was DELICIOUS. The bartender made a custom drink for one person and brought us a round of shooters with our dessert. It was overall one of the best experiences I've had at a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!RRRRDined on 8/16/2014The people and food are awesome. I can't say much because I had a really good experience all around with the food during restaurant week and the staff is exceptional.Special Features:
- Highly Rated by OthersmetalDined on 8/16/2014We waited 30 min for our appetizers. The ceviche came with sorbet and a toast stick which would have been better with the soup, which arrived without a spoon. The soup tasted artificially sweetened and the ceviche, with tomato base, was awful. Lunch was wild boar meatloaf swimming in ketchup and a burger, medium, but unremarkable. Both with limp Parmesan fries. The waiter never returned and I had to flag down the busboy for water when my guest had a coughing spell. Dessert was an odd assembly of toasted coconut, cake, sorbet, and a thick mango glaze. The Cedar sundae was strange; hazelnut ice cream with cold, sweet potato "tater tots." We were "done" and found our server for the check. He did attempt an apology.
- Cedar- restaurant weekJohnDined on 8/15/2014For DC Restaurant Week, I chose Cedar off of the recommendation of a friend who had gone there once before a show. Although the service was upbeat, friendly and engaging, the ambiance and decor left little to be desired. The food was creative, but flavors (particularly the seasoning of the entrees) fell flat. Proteins were overcooked. This location was worth the $35 fixed menu price, but I do not see myself returning and paying regular price.Special Features:
- Miscooked meatsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014The only reasons I gave just three stars to food and service were that my lamb was cooked well instead of the requested medium rare, and my husband's steak was cooked medium rare instead of the requested well. Our server disappeared after the entree was delivered, so we were unable to point out the error. As we had to get to a play, my husband and I switched plates to solve our problem and save time. I mentioned the error to our server when she came after we'd finished, and all she said was that she'd let the chef know--no apology or explanation for her disappearance. We've been to Cedar before and had wonderful food and service, so this might have been an anomaly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Bday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014Delicious food, friendly, knowledgeable and professional service. Only issue was noise level as it got crowded.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Perfect!CarrieDined on 8/14/2014I can always count on Cedar as a perfect location for a quiet, delicious business lunch. One more great meal in a string of successes and it was Restaurant Week, so the price was down to $20.14 for 3 courses!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KimchiDined on 8/13/2014The food at Cedar is excellent. I especially enjoyed the chilled corn soup with leek marmalade and lumpfish caviar. However, the subterranean feel of the place is both creepy and claustrophobic, and our server was often AWOL.Special Features:
- Beautiful RestaurantRestaurantShDined on 8/12/2014Restaurant was perfect for date night. Went for restaurant week and food was great. Probably not their best because it was restaurant week and made over and over.. but seems like it has a lot of potential. Would recommend!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/12/2014We arrived before our friends and thought we would go to the bar for happy hour while we waited. The bar was crowded and we asked if we could just get a drink at the bar and sit down at our table. The manager was incredibly kind and seated us at our table and got our drinks for us at the happy hour price even though the prices normally do not extended to the dining room. Love that they care about their customers and ensure great serviceI would recommend this to a friend.
- NICESHEYDined on 8/12/2014The food is delicious and the staff is very friendly, I'am looking foward to speaking with the chef one day and getting the recipe to his sauces, especially the mayonaise that is made from scratch with a little horseradish , I'am guessing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice relaxing lunchColtraneDined on 8/12/2014Went for restaurant week with coworkers. Were seated promptly; service and food were great. If you're looking to grab a bite over your lunch hour or limited on time this may not be the place to go, as our lunch took two hours. Not a complaint, since we had the time, but just a note. The food was worth the time it took.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedMC64Dined on 8/12/2014I wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless they were trying to get out of the rain. The ceviche the server recommended was vile.
- Really enjoyed itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Cedar is a great find. Small and cozy, and quieter than most places. Love the woods-themed decor. Service was excellent but not pretentious. Really enjoyed the food as well. Had a great birthday dinner with two friends. Its a small place so I wouldn't recommend it for groups larger than 4, but its great for a date night or a couple people going out together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ascribeDined on 8/7/2014Except for the store-bought ice-cream, the food was excellent, ample and attractively presented. The service was cheeful, prompt and thoughtful. A fine spot for a meal before a show at the Harman Center or Woolly Mammoth.Special Features:
- Great BrunchChicagoeatsDined on 8/3/2014Had a very tasty brunch. Staff was great. Food was great. Can't go wrong here for brunch!Special Features:
- Delicious DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014The food was really tasty and served quickly! I would recommend this to anyone who wants to eat well at a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Just okRobinDined on 7/31/2014I went for lunch. Surprised to find it was in a lower level, no windows. A group from an office was there and leader stood up and have shirt speech even though it wasn't a private room. None of it awful, but not expected. Perhaps good for business lunch. I was with daughter and a tourist that day.Special Features:
- VIP DiningBrunchFiendDined on 7/27/2014I had a party of 6 people. 4 of us arrived a bit early and they seated us immediately. We were given a private seating area with a curtain even though I didn't indicate in my reservation a special occasion. The private room was pretty cool and secluded but the lights were way up and it got hot quickly. However, the server was very accommodating and dimmed the lights and turned up the air a bit. Now for the important part, the food. It was delicious and reasonably priced for the amount and quality you get. The beet salad was delicious and was paired with a mellow blue cheese. For brunch they had normal and turned-up brunch options. I would certainly recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We had a first class meal with fish and beef to die for Great job ThanksSpecial Features:
- fantastic menuctdinerDined on 7/25/2014The food, service, and setting were all great. I took my wife and two business associates for a 6:45 dinner on Friday night. I asked the waitress to pick two appetizers for the table. She picked a smoked trout and a scallops plate - both of which were outstanding. Two of us ordered the Duck, Duck, Duck and two ordered the Cod. Again - everybody was very pleased. My only criticism is the price. Open Table rated Cedar at $$. It is easily $$$+, or about $70 per person with drinks and desert. However, even at that price it is worth it. I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.