42-18 31st Avenue
Astoria, NY 11103Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cavoastoria.com/
- Phone: 7187211001x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 2:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 4:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Omari DaCosta
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our venue can accommodate approximately 200 guests for private, day events. Semi-private also available in the evening for parties of 40-60 guests, depending on the date and time.
- Private Party Contact: Anna Kazas (parties of 40 or more) 7187211001x
- Entertainment: HAPPY HOUR Sunday through Friday 5-7pm
3 COURSE PRIX FIXE MENU $22 Sunday through Friday 5-7pm
LIVE BELLY DANCING DINNER SHOW Every Friday at 9pm,
LIVE FLAMENCO GUITARIST every Sunday at 7pm
FULL NIGHTLIFE LOUNGE: every Friday and Saturday from 11pm, Live DJ entertainment.
- Cross Street: Between 42nd and 43rd Streets
- Public Transit: Take the R or M train into Queens and exit at the STEINWAY STREET stop. When you exit walk straight on Steinway, cross over Broadway and continue to the next light which is 31st Avenue.Make a right onto 31st and go up 2 blocks to 42nd street. We will be on your right.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet parking available every day.
A word from Cavo
Chef Armand of Dish du Jour Magazine wrote, “Cavo is without a doubt, an extravagantly designed beauty of a restaurant…at Cavo you can wine and dine the night away in the true traditions of a Mediterranean vacation and lifestyle.”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Cavo reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (22)romantic (18)good for groups (16)special occasion (15)neighborhood gem (12)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (10)late-night find (9)fit for foodies (9)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- dimplenycDined on 9/20/2014Great food and atmosphere!!The service was fast and friendly :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Greek DiscoveryfabfoodDined on 9/20/2014Saw a Living Social deal so went on website and menu and restaurant looked really nice so I bought it. Best find I've found so far. The greek meatballs and zucchini chips - amazing - all the food fantastic - Service was spectacular - I really couldn't find anything wrong at all. The place is very big and turns into a nightclub in the evening - Great place for a party - outside and inside areas -Special Features:
- Hot SpotVgirl007VIPDined on 9/6/2014Amazing food & decor! Ambiance can be however you want it; romantic, celebratory energetic. Dress up & get ready to dance , music is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2014Excellent food, fantastic service, large portions. All good.Special Features:
- Cavo is a hott spot!Rivas76Dined on 8/30/2014GREAT TIME. Staff, bartenders, security were all professional. Place is huge. Loved the outside area too. Will be coming back here very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what I expectedRobertDined on 8/23/20143 people sat at 8:10pm after asking several times for our check, finally got it at 11:20pm..waitress was extremely unprofessional and disappeared several times..brings white wine to the table with no ice bucket...food came out cold...ordered three shots for my friends birthday ..shots came out and plastic cups...one waitress serving tables doing bottle service and running a party on the second level...waitress was wearing shorts that just about covered her bottom..extremely unprofessional for a somewhat classy restaurantSpecial Features:
- OUTSTANDING FOODAlexgeeDined on 7/26/2014WENT AT A PERFECT TIME RIGHT AS THEY WERE OPENING..THE FOOD WAS AMAZING AND AS FOR MY OPEN TABLE REQUEST IT WAS DONE EXACTLY HOW I REQUESTED...SERVICE WAS OK, DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY WOULD SWITCH OUR SERVER IN THE MIDDLE OF MY DINNER..REALLY AFFECTS TIP IN MY OPINION BUT OVERALL A GREAT PLACE..GO EARLY..THEY DO PACK OUTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/22/2014Food was good. Service was very poor. We waited an hour for our entree even though it wasn't that busy. When it came the waitress forgot to give us spoons and after asking her for it we still had to wait 15-20 minutes to get them. By then we had enough and just left
- Great Outdoor Experience in AstoriaWestchestercoupleDined on 7/20/2014Planned this as a birthday dinner for my wife, with a total of 7 people. We were greeted and seated right away in the outdoor patio. Everything was fantastic, including the weather, the ambiance, service and food. Service was prompt and friendly. The food was hot and very tasty and the ambiance of the garden was the icing on the cake. I would definitely go back for dinner as long as the weather cooperated with an outdoor affair. My only slight disappointment was that with my wife being Greek and this restaurant located in Astoria I expected a bit more of Greek flair but, this did not put a damper on our overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Despite what I heardVpbenDined on 7/18/2014I reviewed several web sites before deciding on Cavo. The reviews were mixed. The experience exceeded my expectations. Despite what I heard, the food was good and the staff attentive. Throw in the belly dancers and we had a great time. I would strongly recommend Cavo to my friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food terrible managementNxtbignameVIPDined on 7/12/2014I made a reservation noted ill like outdoor seating when I arrived to the restaurant I was told to sit outside there is a 1 hour wait due to outdoor sitting is first come first service even though that isn't stated anywhere nor did they reach out to me to let me know that there was no outdoor sitting upon putting in for the request. They were rude about It and said either wait or I can leave so making this reservation was pointless. The food is amazing so we stayed the ambience is beautiful and the waiter was great but besides that the hostess and manager were extremely rude and had no care in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be afraid of valet!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/12/2014Valet is clueless..saw them pull up 2 cars and no one got in..wrong cars! They asked a woman to find her own key on the board...and then lost my husbands car! They couldn't remember where it was parked! My husband took his key from the board, walked around the block to find his own car! Left a very bad taste in our mouths,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodloverDined on 7/5/2014Great atmosphere, beautiful outdoor setting, great service, the food was okaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014Went for Living Social deal. Food was good and service was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NickdgrDined on 6/22/2014I took my girlfriend out on a date here. Very nice restaurant. Horrible service. My waitress didn't even pay attention to us. The food was less than appetizing.Special Features:
- What happened to the GreekOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/14/2014This used to be a great Greek restaurant. Now only the appetizers are Greek-ish, while the rest of the menu has dissappeared to a very limited bland american style one.
- Great Visual AtmosphereLuv2eatDined on 6/8/2014My Fiancé and I met some friends there. It was my first time, not theirs. Beautiful space, good service and food was decent although his seafood pasta was much better than my short ribs. The only real negative was they had a guy playing guitar and singing outside which would've been nice except it was so LOUD we couldn't carry on a conversation at our own table without YELLING to each other which in my opinion, completely ruined the entire atmosphere. Either lose the entertainment or make him turn it down. It was completely unnecessary to be that loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 310 reviews are from the Cavo reviews archive.
- Enjoyable girls' night outSRoseDined on 5/31/2014Went out for dinner with the girls, got apps and drinks. Fried calamari (chickpea batter, which is always a great touch), olives and feta (basic but good), and a fresh watermelon/feta salad. A couple of the drinks were watered down, not really worth $13 each. But the service was attentive and the host very pleasant as well. It's nice to be able to segue right into the bar/dancing area after dinner, and the outdoor area is always nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Mazz83Dined on 5/17/2014Food was amazing and atmosphere very chic! Able to accommodate our change in reservation. Made perfect for a very special occasion. Manager was visable and helped out in all areas. A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waitingFoodieFamilyDined on 5/11/2014I dinner for 4 with a prefixe menu should not take 2 and 1/2 hours. We waited 20 minutes for the check and that was flagging down the waitress after she walked by us 5 times.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereFinetasteDined on 5/11/2014Food is very tasty and restaurant decor is impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be.KmoneyDined on 4/24/2014Haven't been here in a couple months and I felt that the service was awfu. Our waitress didn't come over to us at all. We had to flag her down everytime! My ravioli was hard, but the meatballs were still good.
- Great experienceYagarmeisterDined on 4/18/2014Recommended by a friend and it was a good one. The staff was excellent, the food delicious, and the belly dancers were great fun too. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Fun SpotessieandmikeyVIPDined on 4/11/2014I am glad we celebrated our birthday here. The food was great the service was amazing and overall just a great experience. It looks like it can be very busy at night after dinner with the club scene.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/5/2014I've been going to Cavo for dinner and the party scene for 10 years now. i've always relied on going there and knowing the food and ambiance would be great! i'm really disappointed to say that the food was bad! we ordered the salmon and it was served partially frozen. even after the waitress brought it back from being cooked for a bit more time, the salmon still tasted awful! we were 3 for dinner and also ordered spare ribs and pasta with lobster, both of those were over cooked. the flavors were ok, but the dish it self was just not good over all. the portions were small. the waitress was really great and tried her hardest to provide us with great service so that made a ton of difference. she removed the salmon from our bill.Special Features:
- Great spot for girls night outJosephineDined on 3/28/2014Delicious food, a glass of wine and great company is the way to go...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I knew that only theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2014Wish I knew that only the bar area is open for business on Sundays. Lack of ambience definitely took away from our dining experience. Will return but, only when whole restaurant area is available.Special Features:
- Still a great spotmswells1121Dined on 3/21/2014Has been a couple years since I visited this restaurant and I must say I enjoyed it as much as the first time. The food was great, music was on point and a great crowd to mingle and dance with. I can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2014I love this place! The food is always amazing! Not once have I been disappointed! Great for any special occasion! Romantic and family oriented. Good place to go on a date.,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingVanessaDined on 3/15/2014My fiancée , I and my parents went on a double date to celebrate our engagement. I have dined at Cavo before everyone else it was their first time. They had an amazing time! From the drinks to the olive oil dip to the meals finishing with dessert ; it was perfect! We are thinking about having other events there to create more memories. The staff was great and showed excellent team work. We will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014It was a birthday dinned. They called to confirm. Asked me on a phone if I would want to have a candle. I said yes. At the restaurant they forgot about it. After my friend reminded a waiter about the candle, the waiter brought it, but with an attitude.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrific Money EaterArianaaDined on 2/14/2014Simply horrible food and horrible service. And the waiters charged themselves way too much TIP. The restaurant doesn't have a passion. For food simply wants to take $ out of your pocket.
- Good food and Free valet parkingTopsDined on 2/14/2014Food was good. Portions were nice size. Staff was good. Bathroom could be a little better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TERRIBLE FOR DINNERSdinnerDined on 2/14/2014WAS THE WORSTT PREFIXED MENU. BILL WAS 300 DOLLARS, FOR 2 PEOPLE. I HAD 2 DRINKS AND 2 PREFIXED MENU ITEMS. NEVER NEVER AGAINNNN
- Just one problem with theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Just one problem with the car service, any thing else deserve 5 star. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dance dance dancebrianDined on 2/1/2014The best feture is the music and dance. Food could be made better, maybe it was the dishes we had that needed more flavor. Definitely a fun place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Place!VespaDined on 2/1/2014This place is amazing! My friends and I came here to celebrate my birthday, and we had the best time - the food was delicious (loved the ravioli and the mango sorbet!) and the dj played some great music, a nice mix of hip hop, reggaeton and house. I highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were seated in empty areaScubaVIPDined on 1/18/2014We were seated in empty area of restaurant. Bright lights, cold. Was not going to eat dinner with our coats on, so we left. Went to our old reliable restaurant in Astoria.
- Good food but...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014Even though we assured the host that the remaining 3 of our 8 guests were not far away in the car in traffic, they refused to seat us. When we were final seated, they walked us 10 feet away where the heat was so intense we asked to be moved - this was after they said they could not adjust it. Then suddenly they were able to adjust it, so we felt duped. We ordered wine, a 2009 vintage on their menu. When they returned they offered a 2011, and were a little taken back when we asked how much for the less quality in which we received no answer. We then wanted to order several appetizers before ordering the entrees' and we were told they must be ordered together, which made an easy thing a bit harder. Too many rules and no flexibility. Not happySpecial Features:
- Great Food/Centralized barOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/17/2014The food has wonderful flavors on familiar foods! It has two rooms with bars in different locations that are large and comfortable. The belly dancers give the place an added boost !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.