538 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10020Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.caviarrusse.com/
- Phone: (212) 980-5908
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday :5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday:12-4 pm Limited Menu
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Elias Taddesse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our restaurant accommodates groups of up to 15 or more providing both an intimate and refined atmosphere suitable for all occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Banquet Manager 2129805908x
- Special Events: We offer a private dining room upon request and will customize a menu for your specific needs. Please call for further info.
A word from Caviar Russe
Tucked away on Madison Avenue this Michelin Star restaurant serves out the best caviar available, complimenting it with some of the finest cuisine in NYC.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary French
Caviar Russe - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Caviar Russe reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (17)fit for foodies (14)romantic (14)notable wine list (5)great for lunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)good for groups (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- An extravagent pleasure!JannelleDined on 11/15/2014I was treated to a wonderful dinner at Caviar Russe for my Birthday, and it could not have been nicer. We started with a tasting of three caviar types and each was better than the last! We chose to follow the amazing caviar with an entree, had a bit more caviar and then dessert. Every bite was fabulous, and my only regret was that I couldn't eat more. The wait staff was knowledgeable and attentive without being obtrusive. Yes, it was a very pricey meal, even by NY standards, but for a special occasion it was a wonderful splurge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as we remember.RKCouchVIPDined on 11/14/2014This was our second visit to Caviar Russe (as we live in Florida) and was a last minute decision for lunch. The staff changed a bit in the 2 years but they were all extremely polite, professional and knowledgeable. Everything was delicious from the caviar to the tartare to the scallops covered in caviar. Delicious vodka tasting and Rose Champgane accompanied our memorable lunch. Will definitely be placing an online order soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabyuous but PriceyKateDined on 11/5/2014Fun tryign differt caviars.. and the tasting menu was beautiful and delicious.. but expect to spend a lot for it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wplace to go in the CityCarlosVIPDined on 10/17/2014Since you go into the restaurant it's a wonderful experience, it's an elegant place with great food and very kind attendants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Exqusite.DCdinerVIPDined on 10/11/2014If you are a fan of caviar, this is your place. Wonderful menu, not all selections will break the bank. Food is wonderful. There is normally a 10 course tasting menu but our waiter suggested starting with a caviar assortment followed by three courses from the tasting menu. So very flexible. Service excellent. The room is an old mansion on Madison with the original beautiful moldings. Perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:
- If you like caviar, go hereGoldiVIPDined on 9/30/2014We tasted 6 different types of caviar, a delicious foie gras pate, smoked salmon, 3 desserts and champagne. What a wonderful meal! The maitre d' was very friendly and helpful with suggestions. A memorable lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nharveyVIPDined on 9/27/2014Best meal by far that I have ever eaten. We had the tasting and it was outstanding. From the beautiful dinning room, the very attentive servers, talented chefs and wonderful food, it was night to be remembered.Special Features:
- Caviar at its bestohiowineoVIPDined on 9/27/2014We found Caviar Russe several months ago and it is now a "must go" place whenever we visit NYC. The caviar is the best we have ever experienced and the quality far surpasses other restaurants in the city. The service is impeccable. Also, the Vodka selections are of highest standards (allowed by import rules). This is also a restaurant for you who may have not experienced caviar before. The staff will educate you and your palate.Special Features:
- UnbelievableCaviarRusseDined on 8/29/2014Without a doubt one of the most amazing experiences we have had anywhere in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A SAD EXPERIENCETIBORVIPDined on 8/26/2014THE DECOR IS "STIFF", RATHER DATED AND A BIT AWKWARD. THE SERVICE IS SOMEWHAT DISMISSIVE "HAUTE" FRENCH- RATHER CHARMLESS. IT WAS ATTENTIVE BECUASE THE ENTIRE RESTAURANT WAS EMPTY EXCEPT FOR ONE OTHER TABLE. I TRIED TO SELECT A TABLE AWAY FROM THE ENTRANCE/SERVICE AREA BUT IT WAS "RESERVED." THE FOOD WAS SO GUSSIED UP AND PRETTIFIED THAT WE COULD NOT RECOGNIZE WHAT WE ORDERED. MY COMPANION HAD AN OVERDECORATED OCTOPUS DISH --AND,( IT MUST HAVE BEEN A BABY) ON A CONFUSEDLY, ARTISITCALLY DECORATED PLATE. I HAD A THREE LITTLE OYSTER APPETIZER EQUALLY OVERDONE AND A PATE DE FOIE GRAS. THE LATTER WAS UTTERLY MUNDANE PROBABLY BOUGHT OR DONATED. FOR THE THREE APPETIZERS WE PAID $ 195.00+ TIP ALTHOUGH THE ITEMS WERE AVAILA BLE A LA CARTE
- The following 251 reviews are from the Caviar Russe reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/14/2014Excellent bar none but very, very expensive. Very intimate.Special Features:
- Cavier Russe - A Hidden Gem.MLBGVIPDined on 6/7/2014We enjoyed an amazing dining experience at this great restaurant this past Saturday night June 7, 2014. This was probably our third time there and it was better than ever. The Cavier we chose was so fresh and delicious and the servers continued to bring out fresh blinis and toast points until we were finished. The 3 course menu was a perfect choice for our hunger level following the cavier we enjoyed. We had the blue fin tuna and foie gras and finished with the lobster risotto with bone marrow, shiso and cavier. Such great flavors accompanied each course and we were extremely pleased with the presentations, attention to detail and continuous service throughout the night.Special Features:
- Great tasting menudmacraeDined on 5/9/2014My wife and I very much enjoyed a pre-theatre tasting menu. Everything was great!
- Excellent but limitedd105VIPDined on 5/9/2014Excellent as always but l liked it better when the lunch menu was more extensive.Special Features:
- Fab experienceEnglishpatienceDined on 4/26/2014Loved the tasting menu, especially as you can choose any of the dishes available and don't have to have a dessert. The foie gras was beautiful and the caviar sharing plate was lots of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding "Boutique" RestaurantfuzzcheeksVIPDined on 4/12/2014This small, stylish restaurant consistently delivers the goods. Each dish is imaginatively prepared and delicious, You can choose any 3 dishes on the basic prix fixe menu, and sidestep dessert in favor of a second main course if desired (a la carte dining is also available). Wine list is a bit pricy, and some lower-priced selections would be welcome. Nevertheless, one of my favorite establishments.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely.....:)NewYorkdineVIPDined on 3/18/2014This NY spot is ideal for a special occasion be it personal or business. I have put it on my list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant diningALHLVIPDined on 3/8/2014Small, elegant, delicious…while selling caviar is their staple, the food is excellently cooked,plated and served, hot and delicious…a gourmet restaurant an a very nice find. Limited menu, but a quality meal. You don't leave hungry!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/22/2014For two people we had a caviar sampler that was very pricey but delicious. We also had the three course meal for each of us. The quantity of food was more than enough and quality was excellent. Service and atmosphere were great, as expected in a place this expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you really like top shelfBsb2Dined on 2/19/2014If you really like top shelf Caviar, excellent wines (or Champagnes), splendid & delicious nouveau cuisine, and are accustomed to service and attention of the highest caliber, Caviar Russe is the place. We went for lunch and it could not have been a better experience. Bonus points for being in one of the parts of NYC that I particularly enjoy. As expected, it is not inexpensive after caviar, Champagne and entrees. But it is an exceptional value for one of the most unique, delicious & special dining experiences you can find. I look forward to trying Dinner!Special Features:
- Love Caviar RusseNotsofastVIPDined on 2/18/2014I try to visit Caviar Russe whenever feasible on my trips to NYC. One of my favorite restuarants and I've been blessed to eat at some top establishments around the world.Special Features:
- Birthday at Caviar RusseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/13/2014Though the restaurant is $$$$ pricey (even for NYC), the food is uniformly great, and the service spectacular (it began raining while we were there, and the staff kindly provided us with a complimentary umbrella when they learned that we hadn't brought one). The real star of the show, as one might imagine, is the caviar service. We opted to go with the five-course dinner in addition to one of the caviar packages (which includes 25g of three types of caviar- a good amount for two), and were very full; I think the three-course and caviar would be more than enough. The restaurant itself is very beautiful, and is small- around nine tables in the main dining room. In addition to the caviar, I would highly recommend the fois gras and the oysters.Special Features:
- A Glorious TreatLordCDined on 2/10/2014We finally achieved one of our ambitions... to eat at the Caviar Russe... and it delivered beyond our expectations. The caviar taster (Pu Select Osset) was light and delicious, the food (Long Island Duck) was super inventive and tasty, desert (Cream Cheese) to die for, and the wine (Puligny Montrachet) was excellent. The friendly and knowledgeable Maitre-d' helped make our visit truly special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an excellent eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/28/2013Each visit to this restaurant has been of the same standard excellent. The food,wine service. They will accommodate different likes when slightly different from the menu Great nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to returnHunertDined on 12/28/2013We made a last minute reservation on Open Table for 6:30 PM on Dec 28, 2013. Our corner window table was ready when we arrived. Having read the reviews, and after reviewing the menu, we decided on a three course tasting. The portions were quite generous and we had all we could do to finish them after having the Classic caviar tasting ($195). The caviar was exceptional and plentiful. We have seen Caviar Russe brand stores in our travels in Europe and the prices are higher there for the retail product than they were in the restaurant. The service was perfect and unrushed. The staff is very familiar with each of the caviars and can explain the differences for you to help you decide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quiet eleganceMPMSVIPDined on 12/26/2013The emphasis on caviar wasn't a deciding factor initially. It was the location and interesting menu. However the incorporation of tastes of caviar in several of our tasting menu dishes was very pleasing. Presentations were artful with helpful explanation/descriptions from the Matre d'. Lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went with my wife. We hadJohnVIPDined on 12/21/2013I went with my wife. We had 7:30 reservations and were seated in a small room with four booths, intimate and quiet. The waiter was helpful with the caviar procedures. We chose the 5 course tasting option with caviar tasting which makes six courses with a bottle of reasonably priced champagne. Each course was like a work of art in presentation. The parsnip soup is the best thing we have ever tasted. My wife did not want a desert so we got all savory options. The only problem was by the time we got the main course of rib eye and short ribs we were so full we could hardly eat any more. Would go for the 3 course next time. All in all was a good experience for a special occasion. The final bill was $720 with 20% tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a treat!HungryDined on 12/21/2013We are not caviar experts but after trying it once we decided to try Caviar Russe to get a whole experience. Service was over the top and very attentive. We had the caviar and truffle tastings and they were nothing short of amazing and delicious. The restaurant is small and fancy, perfect for a special night out with friends or family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and superiorMissyDined on 12/15/2013Excellent service and superior caviar with a staff that knows everything about it! The chef is very talented and pairs his food with the caviar for an unbelievable experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Discovery!UmpireDined on 12/11/2013First time for my wife and me, and we will be back soon. Everything was terrific, from the warm welcome and beautiful decor, to the helpful wait-staff and excellent wine, and to the fabulous food. We each selected three courses from ten offerings and look forward to trying the five and ten course options -- if we do not eat for a few days!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous cuisinefrancois63Dined on 12/6/2013We chose the 10 course meal with wines pairing. Great experience.Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I have eaten inJandDiDined on 12/6/2013My wife and I have eaten in quality restaurants around the world, this is the best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Birthday Dinner to Remember!!!federalist25VIPDined on 11/25/2013My wife and I have been here before and loved it so decided to come again on my Birthday. It resulted in one of the truly remarkle dinners I have ever eaten. I love caviar and ordered the chef's menu which started with six different spoons of caviar. The following six courses included one of those caviars in its preparation. It was exquiste...a true masterpiece. One of the highlights was the risotto with sea urchin and select osetra caviar. My wife's courses were equally delicious. If you love caviar or just well prepared fresh seafood this is the place for you. I know we'll be back very soon.Special Features:
- Appropriately decadentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/19/2013My second time at Caviar Russe was as good as the first time. Food is impeccably and artistically presented, flavours are wonderful. Our bill was wrong, so check it (we ordered 3 of the Tasting Menu courses and they billed them as individual courses rather than the offered 'Choose 3' option, which was a lower price). 2 oz of caviar was appropriately decadent.Special Features:
- Good old but modern timesMeisterkochDined on 11/15/2013If you want to spoil yourself and friends nothing like sharing top caviar followed by the freshest tuna, oysters and sea urchin to finish with a great risotto, yes again with caviar. Only the cheese was not up to the rest .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing flavorsJonaVIPDined on 11/14/20132nd time at the restaurant (first time was by myself). We had a great corner table looking out over Madison ave. We each enjoyed the 5 course tasting menu. The flavor combinations are terrific, especially in the early (more appetizer-like) dishes. The oysters and lobster were simply amazing. The biggest caveat is really just price - with a nice bottle of wine, you can easily spend $400 (or more) for two people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent CaviarexNewYorkerDined on 11/9/2013This is the excellent caviar restaurant. If you like caviar, this restaurant has wide variety of choice with excellent quality. The portion of dishes is relatively small and does not destroy the appetite for caviar. Staff was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingFreemanVIPDined on 11/9/2013We were given a nice booth but kitchen noise was unsettling. Food was just ok.. Servers were difficult to understand and not well versed in dishes they brought to the table. We would not return
- Truly Pleasurable Dining ExperiencefuzzcheeksVIPDined on 11/9/2013Caviar Russe is a small restaurant tucked away on the second floor, but the dining experience is major league. We have sampled a number of dishes over the years, and have always been delighted with the imaginative preparation and wonderful flavors. The only drawbacks are the mildly uncomfortable sofa-style seats and the limited, high-priced wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caviar RusseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/6/2013great service, great Caviar. if you like caviar, this is the placeI would recommend this to a friend.