538 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10020Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.caviarrusse.com/
- Phone: 2129805908x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday :5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday:12-4 pm Limited Menu
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Christopher Agnew
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer fully staffed custom catered events, as well as corporate platters for delivery.
- Private Party Facilities: Our restaurant accommodates groups of up to 50 or more providing both an intimate and refined atmosphere suitable for all occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Banquet Manager 2129805908x
- Special Events: We offer a private dining room upon request and will customize a menu for your specific needs. Please call for further info.
A word from Caviar Russe
Tucked away on Madison Avenue this Michelin Star restaurant serves out the best caviar available, complimenting it with some of the finest cuisine in NYC.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Caviar Russe reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (9)special occasion (8)romantic (7)notable wine list (5)neighborhood gem (1)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)good for groups (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/14/2014Excellent bar none but very, very expensive. Very intimate.Special Features:
- Cavier Russe - A Hidden Gem.MLBGVIPDined on 6/7/2014We enjoyed an amazing dining experience at this great restaurant this past Saturday night June 7, 2014. This was probably our third time there and it was better than ever. The Cavier we chose was so fresh and delicious and the servers continued to bring out fresh blinis and toast points until we were finished. The 3 course menu was a perfect choice for our hunger level following the cavier we enjoyed. We had the blue fin tuna and foie gras and finished with the lobster risotto with bone marrow, shiso and cavier. Such great flavors accompanied each course and we were extremely pleased with the presentations, attention to detail and continuous service throughout the night.Special Features:
- Great tasting menudmacraeDined on 5/9/2014My wife and I very much enjoyed a pre-theatre tasting menu. Everything was great!
- Excellent but limitedd105VIPDined on 5/9/2014Excellent as always but l liked it better when the lunch menu was more extensive.Special Features:
- The following 247 reviews are from the Caviar Russe reviews archive.
- Fab experienceEnglishpatienceDined on 4/26/2014Loved the tasting menu, especially as you can choose any of the dishes available and don't have to have a dessert. The foie gras was beautiful and the caviar sharing plate was lots of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding "Boutique" RestaurantfuzzcheeksVIPDined on 4/12/2014This small, stylish restaurant consistently delivers the goods. Each dish is imaginatively prepared and delicious, You can choose any 3 dishes on the basic prix fixe menu, and sidestep dessert in favor of a second main course if desired (a la carte dining is also available). Wine list is a bit pricy, and some lower-priced selections would be welcome. Nevertheless, one of my favorite establishments.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely.....:)NewYorkdineVIPDined on 3/18/2014This NY spot is ideal for a special occasion be it personal or business. I have put it on my list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant diningALHLVIPDined on 3/8/2014Small, elegant, delicious…while selling caviar is their staple, the food is excellently cooked,plated and served, hot and delicious…a gourmet restaurant an a very nice find. Limited menu, but a quality meal. You don't leave hungry!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/22/2014For two people we had a caviar sampler that was very pricey but delicious. We also had the three course meal for each of us. The quantity of food was more than enough and quality was excellent. Service and atmosphere were great, as expected in a place this expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you really like top shelfBsb2Dined on 2/19/2014If you really like top shelf Caviar, excellent wines (or Champagnes), splendid & delicious nouveau cuisine, and are accustomed to service and attention of the highest caliber, Caviar Russe is the place. We went for lunch and it could not have been a better experience. Bonus points for being in one of the parts of NYC that I particularly enjoy. As expected, it is not inexpensive after caviar, Champagne and entrees. But it is an exceptional value for one of the most unique, delicious & special dining experiences you can find. I look forward to trying Dinner!Special Features:
- Love Caviar RusseNotsofastVIPDined on 2/18/2014I try to visit Caviar Russe whenever feasible on my trips to NYC. One of my favorite restuarants and I've been blessed to eat at some top establishments around the world.Special Features:
- Birthday at Caviar RusseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/13/2014Though the restaurant is $$$$ pricey (even for NYC), the food is uniformly great, and the service spectacular (it began raining while we were there, and the staff kindly provided us with a complimentary umbrella when they learned that we hadn't brought one). The real star of the show, as one might imagine, is the caviar service. We opted to go with the five-course dinner in addition to one of the caviar packages (which includes 25g of three types of caviar- a good amount for two), and were very full; I think the three-course and caviar would be more than enough. The restaurant itself is very beautiful, and is small- around nine tables in the main dining room. In addition to the caviar, I would highly recommend the fois gras and the oysters.Special Features:
- A Glorious TreatLordCDined on 2/10/2014We finally achieved one of our ambitions... to eat at the Caviar Russe... and it delivered beyond our expectations. The caviar taster (Pu Select Osset) was light and delicious, the food (Long Island Duck) was super inventive and tasty, desert (Cream Cheese) to die for, and the wine (Puligny Montrachet) was excellent. The friendly and knowledgeable Maitre-d' helped make our visit truly special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an excellent eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/28/2013Each visit to this restaurant has been of the same standard excellent. The food,wine service. They will accommodate different likes when slightly different from the menu Great nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to returnHunertDined on 12/28/2013We made a last minute reservation on Open Table for 6:30 PM on Dec 28, 2013. Our corner window table was ready when we arrived. Having read the reviews, and after reviewing the menu, we decided on a three course tasting. The portions were quite generous and we had all we could do to finish them after having the Classic caviar tasting ($195). The caviar was exceptional and plentiful. We have seen Caviar Russe brand stores in our travels in Europe and the prices are higher there for the retail product than they were in the restaurant. The service was perfect and unrushed. The staff is very familiar with each of the caviars and can explain the differences for you to help you decide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quiet eleganceMPMSVIPDined on 12/26/2013The emphasis on caviar wasn't a deciding factor initially. It was the location and interesting menu. However the incorporation of tastes of caviar in several of our tasting menu dishes was very pleasing. Presentations were artful with helpful explanation/descriptions from the Matre d'. Lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went with my wife. We hadJohnVIPDined on 12/21/2013I went with my wife. We had 7:30 reservations and were seated in a small room with four booths, intimate and quiet. The waiter was helpful with the caviar procedures. We chose the 5 course tasting option with caviar tasting which makes six courses with a bottle of reasonably priced champagne. Each course was like a work of art in presentation. The parsnip soup is the best thing we have ever tasted. My wife did not want a desert so we got all savory options. The only problem was by the time we got the main course of rib eye and short ribs we were so full we could hardly eat any more. Would go for the 3 course next time. All in all was a good experience for a special occasion. The final bill was $720 with 20% tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a treat!HungryDined on 12/21/2013We are not caviar experts but after trying it once we decided to try Caviar Russe to get a whole experience. Service was over the top and very attentive. We had the caviar and truffle tastings and they were nothing short of amazing and delicious. The restaurant is small and fancy, perfect for a special night out with friends or family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and superiorMissyDined on 12/15/2013Excellent service and superior caviar with a staff that knows everything about it! The chef is very talented and pairs his food with the caviar for an unbelievable experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Discovery!UmpireDined on 12/11/2013First time for my wife and me, and we will be back soon. Everything was terrific, from the warm welcome and beautiful decor, to the helpful wait-staff and excellent wine, and to the fabulous food. We each selected three courses from ten offerings and look forward to trying the five and ten course options -- if we do not eat for a few days!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous cuisinefrancois63Dined on 12/6/2013We chose the 10 course meal with wines pairing. Great experience.Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I have eaten inJandDiDined on 12/6/2013My wife and I have eaten in quality restaurants around the world, this is the best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Birthday Dinner to Remember!!!federalist25VIPDined on 11/25/2013My wife and I have been here before and loved it so decided to come again on my Birthday. It resulted in one of the truly remarkle dinners I have ever eaten. I love caviar and ordered the chef's menu which started with six different spoons of caviar. The following six courses included one of those caviars in its preparation. It was exquiste...a true masterpiece. One of the highlights was the risotto with sea urchin and select osetra caviar. My wife's courses were equally delicious. If you love caviar or just well prepared fresh seafood this is the place for you. I know we'll be back very soon.Special Features:
- Appropriately decadentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/19/2013My second time at Caviar Russe was as good as the first time. Food is impeccably and artistically presented, flavours are wonderful. Our bill was wrong, so check it (we ordered 3 of the Tasting Menu courses and they billed them as individual courses rather than the offered 'Choose 3' option, which was a lower price). 2 oz of caviar was appropriately decadent.Special Features:
- Good old but modern timesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2013If you want to spoil yourself and friends nothing like sharing top caviar followed by the freshest tuna, oysters and sea urchin to finish with a great risotto, yes again with caviar. Only the cheese was not up to the rest .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing flavorsJonaVIPDined on 11/14/20132nd time at the restaurant (first time was by myself). We had a great corner table looking out over Madison ave. We each enjoyed the 5 course tasting menu. The flavor combinations are terrific, especially in the early (more appetizer-like) dishes. The oysters and lobster were simply amazing. The biggest caveat is really just price - with a nice bottle of wine, you can easily spend $400 (or more) for two people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent CaviarexNewYorkerDined on 11/9/2013This is the excellent caviar restaurant. If you like caviar, this restaurant has wide variety of choice with excellent quality. The portion of dishes is relatively small and does not destroy the appetite for caviar. Staff was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingFreemanVIPDined on 11/9/2013We were given a nice booth but kitchen noise was unsettling. Food was just ok.. Servers were difficult to understand and not well versed in dishes they brought to the table. We would not return
- Truly Pleasurable Dining ExperiencefuzzcheeksVIPDined on 11/9/2013Caviar Russe is a small restaurant tucked away on the second floor, but the dining experience is major league. We have sampled a number of dishes over the years, and have always been delighted with the imaginative preparation and wonderful flavors. The only drawbacks are the mildly uncomfortable sofa-style seats and the limited, high-priced wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caviar RusseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/6/2013great service, great Caviar. if you like caviar, this is the placeI would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome brunch!ChicagoFoodieVIPDined on 10/20/2013Had the classic 3 types of caviar to start, served with wonderful champagne and great accompaniments. The three courses were each better than the next. Definite WOW factor. Great service, great food -half the price of Jean Georges. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but extremely expensiveGarpofnycDined on 10/19/2013We enjoyed a very decadent meal. The caviar and foie gras were the highlights. The caviar appetizer alone was $150.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful but expensivepicky6VIPDined on 10/8/2013We thought we had found a mid town heaven and we had before they received their star. They are still wonderful and attentive, but too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful High End RestaurantKPB55Dined on 10/7/2013Small but chic. Be prepared to pay after all it's Russian caviar but there are other choices. Friendly staff and good champagne or wine choices. Ask for a window table. Not recommended if you're on a budget. For special occasions for two perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small GemLTBDDined on 10/4/2013The Classic Caviar tasting was incredible. We were their for a special birthday celebration and chose to also try the tasting menu as well. The risotto was exceptional. On the second floor overlooking Madison Avenue, the quiet ambiance and incredible service of Caviar Russe makes it perfect for a special occasion or just a special treat. This restaurant is expensive but I will be returning for the caviar. Having purchased caviar to serve at home, I think their price for the tasting was reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!Red250VIPDined on 10/3/2013Small, discreet second floor restaurant with superlative food and service. From the moment you enter you are taken care of with courtesy and attentiveness. Very sheik . Each dish is a Picasso of culinary delight, visually beautiful and an exquisite blend of unusual combinations that tantalize the taste buds and and delight your visual senses. They take great pride in the presentation and by the time you take a bite, you are focused on what you're eating, because you know it's special. It is almost too beautiful to eat but when do, you stop to savor the sensational blend of flavors. I had the choice of a three, four or five course tasting menu. $65 for a three course meal excluding beverages and tax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caviar, French Cuisine and WineDrDaveVIPDined on 9/7/2013Caviar Russe is a unique, small restaurant that offers an impressive array of caviar options along with an excellent menu. Caviar, especially classic Russian caviar, is very expensive and all-too-often counterfeit or of poor quality. Caviar Russe serves very high quality Caviar from various sources. It is served fresh, cold and with minimal accoutrements, although they offer you all the garnishes that can be used to cover up inferior caviar. There is a caviar-based tasting menu, which we did not try, and a more traditional tasting menu from which you can chose up to a 10-course version. We chose the 1-course option and it was excellent - although a bit much after a fairly large caviar service. Pricey, but first class dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2013We had a wonderful time at Caviar Russe. the caviar is obviously very good - they have a great selection - but the rest of the menu is also outstanding (oyster with caviar or caviar risotto were fabulous). Our waiter was very helpful and the service was perfect. It is a quiet place which is perfect for special occasion. We'll be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly exquisite...!! The foodJunoonVIPDined on 8/20/2013Truly exquisite...!! The food and the presentation were marvelous.Special Features:
- SpectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/14/2013Very pricey, but worth it. Great food, wine pairings and attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.