Cavatore Italian Restaurant
2120 Ella Blvd
Houston, TX 77008Neighborhood:
Heights / Washington
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Cavatore Italian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cavatores.com/
- Phone: (713) 869-6622
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Raul Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let us cater your next event-whether its an office lunch or a private function. We will be happy to work with you to make your event a success.
- Entertainment: We have live piano music every night.
A word from Cavatore Italian Restaurant
Cavatore Italian Restaurant is a family owned restaurant that has been in Houston for almost 29 years. Our unique menu features dishes from Northern Italy. We are famous for our tableside Caesar salad and homemade tiramisu. Live piano music nightly complements our food and atmosphere. Benvenutti a tutti (welcome everybody)!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cavatore Italian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)special occasion (29)good for groups (28)romantic (27)great for lunch (18)great for outdoor dining (10)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (9)fit for foodies (9)great for brunch (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- Ambiance & service ok, food horrible & overpricedjlhhoustonDined on 11/22/2014I really liked the look and feel of the place but the food is.... horrible. Food tasted like your run of the mill Italian place that is frozen and heated up again, no fresh cooked meal here. If that isn't bad enough you pay at least $20 per dish and get a small portion on top of that. Honestly you might as well just go to Olive Garden. I really wanted to like this place but absolutely will not pay what they charge for such mediocre food. I can do better making Italian at home myself from a jar. Service was fine, nothing special but he got the job done. Because of the food though I won't be back and absolutely would not recommend it to anyone else.
- Wonderful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Great food and service! Maybe a little overpriced, but definitely would still go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingcarmenchicaDined on 11/17/2014Silver service performance by the staff. Excellent service. Felt like we were guests in a welcoming home. The fresh garlic bread was crisp and perfect. Escargot plump juicy and delicious. Risotto balls were cheesy and huge. Marinara not too sweet. Veal marshals was tender and devine. If I could change one thing - would be nice to have cream as an option with my coffee. Just having milk was not adequate. Can't wait to go back. We love this place. Also there are a lot of interesting objects ALL over the walls which in my mind would be a challenge to keep dust free but the place was SPOTLESS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2014Great spot for a business meeting. The restaurant is away from major highways and streets, the food is good, and the atmosphere is pleasant. It is easy to carry on a conversation as noice is moderate with private feel.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Always love Cavatore and when Mood Indigo is there, it is great fun. Super food and super music!Special Features:
- Fantastic!ThanksgivingVIPDined on 11/5/2014Went with my mom for an early birthday dinner. We started out with the stuffed mushrooms. Delish. My mom ordered the Mahi Mahi that came with sauteed veggies. She loved it! I ordered the Chicken Rosamarino. It was so good. The sauce was amazing. For dessert we shared the carrot cake. Was a great night.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, food too rich this timesintxDined on 11/3/2014We had a old friend of my partner that she hadn't seen in 20 years over from Canada and though it would be great to visit the restaurant with the live music and great ambience. The Amazon local special of $40 for $20 was good but only one per table and as a great pleasant surprise the wine was ½ price on Monday. The food was a little rich with cream that left us all three stuffed and skipping desert. Net time we will ask for easy on the cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eclectic ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014We selected this given generally good reviews to end an evening which began earlier with an event in Houston Heights. Italian food, for sure--but the decor is all over the place, although the feel is maybe more Texas than anything. Several rooms, high ceiling, rustic design with posters and notices covering most of the wall space. Checkered table cloths, not my favorite, but consistent with everything else. Menu extensive; we both had mahi mahi which was very good, sauteed veggies were el dente, generous serving so enjoyed left overs the next day. Waiters in white shirts and ties added to the contrasting images. I would return to try some different tastes but I'm still ambivalent about enjoying good food in a decidedly unusual setting.
- Been going here for years and yearslocalsDined on 11/1/2014Still a good place, but the service was a bit slower than usual on this night. They made up for it (without our asking) by offering a complimentary glass of wine. My fish was on the dry side. Sauce and shrimp was good. My pasta was excellent. The side-table Cesar was good. My husband's ravioli was very good. This is one of our favorite places - especially for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great for LunchElqsabeDined on 10/16/2014Took some clients and the food portions were just right. Good food and service. Will do again.Special Features:
- Awesome placePRFoodLoverVIPDined on 10/14/2014Awesome menu. Cesar salad table side is a must. Piano player was very nice. Bread is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boyfriend's Birthday DinnerLuv2dineDined on 10/14/2014We had a table reserved and were seated in a romantic candle lit table in a little dark corner. Our waitress was friendly and very attentive. I ordered the Crawfish All Rosa and it was delicious. The boyfriend had the evening special which had Italian sausage, chicken breast with bell peppers. We both had leftovers and took doggie bags home.. Lunch tomorrow;)) The glass of Cabernet was a huge glass that would probably be two glasses at most restaurants. Overall, I was impressed with the food, the atmosphere was great. The talented pianist played really cool dinner music. I give it 5 star rating for sure.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/13/2014One of the best Italian spots in Houston, and probably the best Italian spot in the Heights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!StarDined on 10/13/2014I have lived near this restaurant and never tried it but there are always a lot of cars there which speaks volumes. The food was fabulous. Everything else was fine too but the food out weighs any other attribute. A little pricey but the coupon I had made it fabulous!Special Features:
- Still the BestFluffyFoodieDined on 10/6/2014I have not had a chance to go back to Cavatore for about 5 years and I was instantly reminded why it was one of my favorite restaurants. Their food is excellent, the atmosphere is perfect and the pianist was a real treat Their service is unsurpassed and I will return again and again, especially since its in my neighborhood!! What a gem!Special Features:
- cute little placeHoustonfoodiDined on 10/4/2014piano music that takes requests...good food...not amazing, but worth going...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2trynewplacesDined on 10/2/2014as always - the table side ceasar salad was delisciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rushed ServicecfoodloverVIPDined on 9/29/2014We needed a reservation at least as late as 9:15. This place popped up on my Open Table search, and there were options to select an even later time. I was meeting a long time friend that I had not seen in 3 years, and usually, Italian restaurants are a nice choice for longer dinners offering several courses. Not this place. The waiter was closing blinds and giving strong hints that we needed to leave at about 10:15. I had the snapper, and it was battered and fried. A grilled preparation would have been much better. I perceived they had lower quality fish. The mushroom and sun dried tomatoes on top were lighter and tasted better good. The garlic bread was good.
- First Time - DelightSortofSonnyandChereDined on 9/13/2014Wanted to try a new restaurant; picked Il' Cavatore for proximity. Was greatly impressed with the food, service and location. The hard surfaces in the building (an old farm house or cabin décor) caused the ambient noise level to be a bit high. We were able to have a conversation but had to concentrate on it. Food was hot, good and of generous portions. Recommend trying it. With Wine and dessert, bill was about $50 per person.Special Features:
- Surprised is the wordMisaelDined on 9/6/2014I was not expecting to have great Italian restaurant so close to my house and in a completely not Italian style place, the decoration is unique, the people is great and the food is something you have to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Caesar SaladTorreysmomDined on 9/6/2014Ask for Maria to make your Caesar tableside. It is amazing! The manicotti and homemade Tiramisu are excellent. Really enjoyed the piano playing too.Special Features:
- Better than expected!elizabethwDined on 9/6/2014Went for my Mom's 92nd Birthday! The hostess. And servers were very attentive and accommodating to our group of 7. Would definitely go again. Was apprehensive of using open table for reservations but impressed with knowing restaurant actually read my online comments. . Pianist playing happy birthday was such a surprise I wasn't even ready in time to record!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Italian CuisineBigCavatoreFanDined on 9/5/2014My family has been going to Cavatore's for almost 30 years and it's always been wonderful in every way! We almost always celebrate special occasions there and have never been disappointed with the food, the service, the wine selection and the atmosphere. Highly recommend Cavatore's for anything from a romantic dinner for two (i.e. Valentine's Day) to a group celebration (i.e. birthday, retirement party).Special Features:
- Good food for most and not too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014We went for dinner and were pleased with the atmosphere and noise level. Only complaints were that their gluten free isn't really gluten free because they cook the gluten free pasta in the gluten pasta water. Not suitable for those with celiac or gluten intolerance. The waitress also seemed checked out and bored with her job. Other than that it was pleasant dinner experience with nice live piano music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutonthetownoutonthetownDined on 8/27/2014On our first visit to Cavatore Restaurant, we were not disappointed. This restaurant had been recommended by a family member and we were pleased with all dining aspects. Also enjoyed the piano entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CavatoreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014Service was excellent... Food was prepared perfect... Piano player was a bit loud, which caused an elevated effort to talk... Would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Excellent!SassyDined on 8/22/2014Food was amazing! Only complaint is piano playing way too loud. Made dinner conversation difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Restaurant Week materialperkiesDined on 8/22/2014Trying new places for Restaurant Week and the menu sounded worth a shot! The soup was yummy, but nothing special. The entrée was a step up from Olive Garden. The dessert was also fine but nothing special. We went during the lunch hour and despite the restaurant not being very busy, the service was spotty. We asked for utensils and straws three times before they appeared. Drinks remained empty and had to be requested throughout the meal.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the food and serviceGirlsniteDined on 8/20/2014I liked the attention we got walking in and our waitress was so nice and kind. I would definitely go back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite place!JDBfunVIPDined on 8/16/2014The staff is great. Warm and friendly. Always feel at home. Service is great and the food terrific! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sad to report ...lucky2dineoutDined on 8/16/2014We are repeat diners at Cavatore's. Based on the food, service and entertainment Saturday night, it will be quite awhile before we go again. Everything had gone downhill. The anticipated Ceasar salad wasn't up to par, nor was the entrée. The lady playing the piano sounded like a rank amateur, not a professional. Her wrong notes and lack of musicality were a negative distraction rather than a source of enjoyment.Special Features:
- Great AmbianceEataliciousDined on 8/16/2014Would highly recommend this quaint Italian place. Bring the kids, or just have a romantic dinner. The piano player makes a really nice ambiance. Food is always good!Special Features:
- No complaints - good for dinnerrsfromkualalumpurDined on 8/15/2014As good in the evening as Cavatore was for lunch. Food was fresh and well prepared. I appreciate the no nonsense but careful presentation. No semi-empty plates with artistic dribble to cover the shortfall! The desert (tiramisu) and after dinner coffee both exceeded expectations. Only gripe was that my beer was poured without asking first.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014You MUST get the table side Caesar salad and the homemade desserts are the best!Special Features:
- Delicious!Yummy2mytummyDined on 8/8/2014A great place to dine. The service and food are wonderful. I would highly recommend dining here to anyone.Special Features:
- Not Very GoodSidneyVIPDined on 8/7/2014When we walked into a spaghetti western themed restaurant with checked table cloths and Italian movie posters; we realized we were in a family restaurant in transition. The appetizers were fine; though the escargot clearly canned. Wine prices were fair; glass of Malbec perfect. Dinner, not so good. The fettuccine Alfredo with seafood tasted like it was dumped in a bait bucket - it was inedible. The veal Milanese was some form of pounded meat chargrilled like a Wendy's burger. Both were too far gone to complain. Cannoli was good; wonder what box they came from. This is not Italian. It's a family restaurant, catering to adults, with no clue how to source or prepare an Italian meal. Looking forward to their closing, to buy a movie poster.Special Features:
- Family Italiancharles1Dined on 8/2/2014Great neighborhood dinner spot! Good food and service with live entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AtmosphericOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/2/2014Rustic look, but charming. Live paino bar adds a lor to this place.Special Features:
- Not pleasedKabulgeorgeDined on 7/31/2014Bar is outdated, barmaid uninformed. Veal was poor quality and over cooked. Food could have been warmer. Weak wine list. Sat at our table and waited 20 minutes for a menu. Server disappeared after the bill was presented and we had finished our warm coffees. Don't plan on returning.
- Authentic Italian, Texas SettingGuiseppeDined on 7/31/2014For an experience of upscale Italian cuisine with a touch of Texas culture, Cavatore is a great choice. Authentic Italian dishes served up in a reconstructed Texas barn from Bastrop area, this is a great stop for lunch or a special evening occasion. Live piano music enhances the experience, and the Caesar salad, best in town, is a must. Leave room to sample one of the myriad excellent desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 232 reviews are from the Cavatore Italian Restaurant reviews archive.