Cavatore Italian Restaurant
2120 Ella Blvd
Houston, TX 77008Neighborhood:
Heights / Washington
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Cavatore Italian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cavatores.com/
- Phone: 7138696622x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Raul Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let us cater your next event-whether its an office lunch or a private function. We will be happy to work with you to make your event a success.
- Entertainment: We have live piano music every night.
A word from Cavatore Italian Restaurant
Cavatore Italian Restaurant is a family owned restaurant that has been in Houston for almost 29 years. Our unique menu features dishes from Northern Italy. We are famous for our tableside Caesar salad and homemade tiramisu. Live piano music nightly complements our food and atmosphere. Benvenutti a tutti (welcome everybody)!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cavatore Italian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (28)romantic (27)special occasion (25)great for lunch (21)fit for foodies (12)kid-friendly (11)notable wine list (10)great for brunch (7)great for outdoor dining (6)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- First Time - DelightSortofSonnyandChereDined on 9/13/2014Wanted to try a new restaurant; picked Il' Cavatore for proximity. Was greatly impressed with the food, service and location. The hard surfaces in the building (an old farm house or cabin décor) caused the ambient noise level to be a bit high. We were able to have a conversation but had to concentrate on it. Food was hot, good and of generous portions. Recommend trying it. With Wine and dessert, bill was about $50 per person.Special Features:
- Surprised is the wordMisaelDined on 9/6/2014I was not expecting to have great Italian restaurant so close to my house and in a completely not Italian style place, the decoration is unique, the people is great and the food is something you have to try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Caesar SaladTorreysmomDined on 9/6/2014Ask for Maria to make your Caesar tableside. It is amazing! The manicotti and homemade Tiramisu are excellent. Really enjoyed the piano playing too.Special Features:
- Better than expected!elizabethwDined on 9/6/2014Went for my Mom's 92nd Birthday! The hostess. And servers were very attentive and accommodating to our group of 7. Would definitely go again. Was apprehensive of using open table for reservations but impressed with knowing restaurant actually read my online comments. . Pianist playing happy birthday was such a surprise I wasn't even ready in time to record!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Italian CuisineBigCavatoreFanDined on 9/5/2014My family has been going to Cavatore's for almost 30 years and it's always been wonderful in every way! We almost always celebrate special occasions there and have never been disappointed with the food, the service, the wine selection and the atmosphere. Highly recommend Cavatore's for anything from a romantic dinner for two (i.e. Valentine's Day) to a group celebration (i.e. birthday, retirement party).Special Features:
- Good food for most and not too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014We went for dinner and were pleased with the atmosphere and noise level. Only complaints were that their gluten free isn't really gluten free because they cook the gluten free pasta in the gluten pasta water. Not suitable for those with celiac or gluten intolerance. The waitress also seemed checked out and bored with her job. Other than that it was pleasant dinner experience with nice live piano music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutonthetownoutonthetownDined on 8/27/2014On our first visit to Cavatore Restaurant, we were not disappointed. This restaurant had been recommended by a family member and we were pleased with all dining aspects. Also enjoyed the piano entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CavatoreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014Service was excellent... Food was prepared perfect... Piano player was a bit loud, which caused an elevated effort to talk... Would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Excellent!SassyDined on 8/22/2014Food was amazing! Only complaint is piano playing way too loud. Made dinner conversation difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Restaurant Week materialperkiesDined on 8/22/2014Trying new places for Restaurant Week and the menu sounded worth a shot! The soup was yummy, but nothing special. The entrée was a step up from Olive Garden. The dessert was also fine but nothing special. We went during the lunch hour and despite the restaurant not being very busy, the service was spotty. We asked for utensils and straws three times before they appeared. Drinks remained empty and had to be requested throughout the meal.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the food and serviceGirlsniteDined on 8/20/2014I liked the attention we got walking in and our waitress was so nice and kind. I would definitely go back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite place!JDBfunVIPDined on 8/16/2014The staff is great. Warm and friendly. Always feel at home. Service is great and the food terrific! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sad to report ...lucky2dineoutDined on 8/16/2014We are repeat diners at Cavatore's. Based on the food, service and entertainment Saturday night, it will be quite awhile before we go again. Everything had gone downhill. The anticipated Ceasar salad wasn't up to par, nor was the entrée. The lady playing the piano sounded like a rank amateur, not a professional. Her wrong notes and lack of musicality were a negative distraction rather than a source of enjoyment.Special Features:
- Great AmbianceEataliciousDined on 8/16/2014Would highly recommend this quaint Italian place. Bring the kids, or just have a romantic dinner. The piano player makes a really nice ambiance. Food is always good!Special Features:
- No complaints - good for dinnerrsfromkualalumpurDined on 8/15/2014As good in the evening as Cavatore was for lunch. Food was fresh and well prepared. I appreciate the no nonsense but careful presentation. No semi-empty plates with artistic dribble to cover the shortfall! The desert (tiramisu) and after dinner coffee both exceeded expectations. Only gripe was that my beer was poured without asking first.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014You MUST get the table side Caesar salad and the homemade desserts are the best!Special Features:
- Delicious!Yummy2mytummyDined on 8/8/2014A great place to dine. The service and food are wonderful. I would highly recommend dining here to anyone.Special Features:
- Not Very GoodSidneyVIPDined on 8/7/2014When we walked into a spaghetti western themed restaurant with checked table cloths and Italian movie posters; we realized we were in a family restaurant in transition. The appetizers were fine; though the escargot clearly canned. Wine prices were fair; glass of Malbec perfect. Dinner, not so good. The fettuccine Alfredo with seafood tasted like it was dumped in a bait bucket - it was inedible. The veal Milanese was some form of pounded meat chargrilled like a Wendy's burger. Both were too far gone to complain. Cannoli was good; wonder what box they came from. This is not Italian. It's a family restaurant, catering to adults, with no clue how to source or prepare an Italian meal. Looking forward to their closing, to buy a movie poster.Special Features:
- Family Italiancharles1Dined on 8/2/2014Great neighborhood dinner spot! Good food and service with live entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AtmosphericOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/2/2014Rustic look, but charming. Live paino bar adds a lor to this place.Special Features:
- Not pleasedKabulgeorgeDined on 7/31/2014Bar is outdated, barmaid uninformed. Veal was poor quality and over cooked. Food could have been warmer. Weak wine list. Sat at our table and waited 20 minutes for a menu. Server disappeared after the bill was presented and we had finished our warm coffees. Don't plan on returning.
- Authentic Italian, Texas SettingGuiseppeDined on 7/31/2014For an experience of upscale Italian cuisine with a touch of Texas culture, Cavatore is a great choice. Authentic Italian dishes served up in a reconstructed Texas barn from Bastrop area, this is a great stop for lunch or a special evening occasion. Live piano music enhances the experience, and the Caesar salad, best in town, is a must. Leave room to sample one of the myriad excellent desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Findeat2liveDined on 7/19/2014Excellent food and service, and very good jazz/blues entertainer that evening that blended in to the atmosphere to complement the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014We loved the Caesar salad at Cavatori. They make it table side for you and it was absolutely delicious. It says it's for two but our table of four all got a great helping. I also had the tomato basil soup, which was excellent. The service was attentive and they even had someone playing on the piano all night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Caesar Salad - table sideLuv2trynewplacesDined on 6/26/2014Took a date there (their first tome there) had the table side Caesar salad & it was delicious - they are now ruined from eating salad anywhere elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Dining ExperienceTquillaDined on 6/21/2014The food is great and the service friendly but not obtrusive. No televisions!! You can actually hear one another. Cavatore is a perfect setting for good food and conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Italian DiningGuiseppeDined on 6/19/2014Wonderful and authentic Italian cuisine, served in a friendly manner. Live piano music enhances the experience. Best Caesar salad we ever had. Attentive but unhurried service. A regular with our family, especially for out of town guests and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In Town For WorkImnotafoodieDined on 6/11/2014The receptionist at the Houston office if my company recommended this place. They have great food, the service was speedy, and they have local beers on tap! I'll definitely go again and suggest this place to others!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuSuVIPDined on 6/7/2014As we live in the neighborhood near Cavatore, it is always our first choice for Italian food. The quality of the food is consistently good and when my husband and I want a great Caesar salad and fettuccine alfredo, we know to head over to Cavatore.Special Features:
- 36 Anniversary2inthecornerDined on 6/7/2014Best time best service ever!! A very great time. Our waiter Phjoine ( sorry if I mis-spelled your name) and his crew were most gracious and accommodating.Special Features:
- YUM!afavDined on 6/7/2014Once again we chose Cavatore's for a special occasion and were not disappointed. The food was fabulous--as always--and the service was friendly and professional. Now, what is the next special occasion...........?Special Features:
- CavatoresPrissyDined on 5/31/2014Very pleased. Food came out Alittle slow but we did have a larger party. Great ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing Loving FeelingSimplyclassicDined on 5/31/2014Been a customer for about 20 years. Love the ambience, availability for semi & private rooms, especially for larger groups. Our waiter was excellent, as well as our appetizers & salad. Bar service was extremely slow. Could've made a lot more money on our large festive group, but drinks took too long. Entrees were warm at best, and not very good. Veal Picatta was swimming in what looked to be cream of mushroom soup. Houston is a food town - Cavatore needs to update and refreshment it's food, with continuity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- accoladesDined on 5/31/2014Had a fantastic meal and the atmosphere was conducive to good conversation. Special recognition for 11 yr girl's top accomplishments for school year. Restaurant honored her with her favorite chocolate cake dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a night to rememberRandyDined on 5/24/201415 years ago I proposed to my wife here, yesterday I took my wife and three little girls. Staff took great care of us, knew it was a special occasion. Seated us in the same room that I proposed, payed special attention to my three girls. It was a night we all will remember. My favorite Italian restaurant of all time. Food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 219 reviews are from the Cavatore Italian Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great atmosphereBackinthecityDined on 5/22/2014I used to come here with my family. I was happy to introduce it to some of my friends. They loved the atmosphere, the charm of the service, and the wonderful music of the piano player. We were still able to have great conversations without having to raise our voices. The food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tasting flavorsHeightsguy24Dined on 5/11/2014The food is very flavorful and the staff friendly. Everyone serves with a smile. I thought the menu was pretty accommodating as it catered to everyone's needs and wants. I would highly recommend this spot to anyone. The piano player?? Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Choice for Mothers Daybobkfaa60Dined on 5/11/2014I have been patronizing Cavatores since the "70s". There was something very wrong on this occasion. Our reservation was for 7:00 pm and when we arrived the parking lot was less than half full. After ordering, we waited more than 40 minutes for our food. The excuse was they were very busy and having problems with the kitchen. I ordered Veal Marsala and asparagus. The veal was overcooked to the point of "shoe leather" and the asparagus hadn't been snapped and the ends were hard and fibrous. The piano player was more suited to a bar than a good restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thanks, you guys make it this wayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Ok so its Mothers Day, you go to a restaurant thats not normally open. Why would you do that? Not here, these people were ready. They have been so nice, treat you like family and make you just want to stop and smell the aroma. Walking through the door for me is a treat, and then the fun starts. the Bar Manager Jorge, wow very nice and his helper we don't have her name, but she knows thats her bar. They are such great ambassadors, of this fine establishment. They make it as if its their own. The food is great and, well planned. We travel from katy, so you know that we are looking for the right mix of things, here they have it. Thank you Cavatore, we'll be back.Special Features:
- WHAT HAPPENED?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Cavatore has been one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants for many years. Mother's Day has cured me. First, we were seated at the first table by the door. After being bumped several times we moved to an available table towards the back and placed our orders. The server only brought four of the five orders. None of the guest of honor. The server did not speak English. Our waiter had disappeared. After flagging down another waiter and asking for the fifth meal, and waiting fifteen minutes, we were told only four orders were turned in. Needless to say the rest of the table was almost through eating. When the waiter brought the check, he blamed the cook. When I complained to the manager, he was not concerned. This isn't the Cavatore I knew.