1712 First Avenue
New York, NY 10128Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cavatappo.com/
- Phone: 2129879260
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room: Mon-Sun. 12noon - 11 p.m.
Bar: Mon.-Thur. 12noon - 11 p.m.
Sun. 11:30a.m. - 11 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Luca Marcato
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering available with custom menu and full service.
A word from Cavatappo Grill
Chef Luca Marcato creates a casual vibe at Cavatappo Grill, housed in the former Luca space with a warm, rustic & cozy ambiance. Milanese cuisine with New York Bite! Recently reviewed in the Michelin guide, in Zagats and the New York Times.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cavatappo Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)great for brunch (17)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (13)fit for foodies (10)special occasion (7)good for groups (7)romantic (6)notable wine list (6)late-night find (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- Always greatJasonDined on 8/31/2014My favorite neighborhood place. The food never disappoints, great wine list and the service is always wonderful. the desserts are excellent too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Food WonderJoeNYCVIPDined on 8/30/2014Short & Sweet: I've been here twice, both were for brunch/lunch with friends. Each time we were very happy with the food flavor, quality, presentation and the wait staff's unobtrusive service. Great for sandwiches and omelets. The coffee was just right too! Oh, and the French fries were nice and crispy. All in all, very satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableWeezieVIPDined on 8/23/2014This our neighborhood go-to place for a good Italian dinner. Food is always good although service can sometimes a bit slow it was not the case this time. Love the chicken-liver appetizer and the fried olives are great nibbles. Pastas don't disappoint and I'm addicted to the sausages. The veal chop special this weekend was great too! But shhh! Don't want this to become overcrowded so those of us in the 'hood can't get in ;-)Special Features:
- Nice people --- mediocre food.Neighborhoodiner1VIPDined on 8/20/2014This is a charming little Italian place that serves bland and uninteresting pasta. Baked mussels are excellent however as is the blueberry pie. The waitstaff is gracious and friendly.Special Features:
- Great Place!foodloverDined on 8/9/2014I always jog past here and noticed how nice it was. I had dinner here, well early dinner and it was really nice. I will definitely come at night though, I feel that you would be able to feel the specialness this place has. But it is definitely a nice place to go for brunch too! The food was good, the Cheese fondue was good, but it wasn't the best. Calamari was awesome! I definitely will try the dessert next time! The service was great too!Special Features:
- Very Good and ResonableJackDined on 8/8/2014Good selections on the menu. Well prepared. Excellent and non intrusive service by Matt. Professional and attentive. Enjoyable neighborhood spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love cavatappoJasonDined on 7/13/2014Cavatappo is a great go-to neighborhood restaurant. the food is always great as well as the staff & service. They always make you feel like family. And they have a great wine list too!. I've never had a meal that i didn't enjoy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/29/2014We encountered the wonderful Eduard again this evening and we greeted each other like old friends. We also found out that we had pastry chef Santiago to thank for the amazing and unique blueberry pie that draws us to Cavatappo for celebrations and the odd Tuesday. (Please tell Santiago that we owe him a year's worth of thanks for all the pies we've ordered, and, in turn, ordered our friends to request! We hear Cherry pie (sour cherry, we hope?) may be coming for the 4th of July! We hope that it will linger (along with the blueberry pie) for, at least, the rest of July. Thank you, again, to the chefs - staff. Lori and SteveSpecial Features:
- EstherEstherPDined on 6/27/2014I have been to Cavatappo Grill many times in the past; they are a neighborhood staple for us. As always, the food was delicious, the ambiance was great and they are extremely accommodating when needed. We love this neighborhood gem and will continue to eat there and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchMarianalgDined on 6/22/2014We went for the $13 brunch special (1 cocktail included!!), which was great. Not only you could choose among the brunch special dishes, but you could also choose among the whole menu (except for the entrees). Some friends went for pasta (servings are smaller if you're having the brunch special) and I had a delicious sandwich with hummus and vegetables on focaccia bread... Yummy! The service was really really nice, and the place is genuine, loved the decoration on the walls! I would definitely recommend this place! :)Special Features:
- Solid neighborhood restaurantDiningNYC2013Dined on 6/21/2014Satisfying food. Friendly and professional service that gives you enough time to decide on dessert. Open and airy during the summer months. Affordable bottles of wine. Overall, a relaxing meal -- what a meal should be!Special Features:
- Lovely outdoor summer eveningJustcatoDined on 6/16/2014The food was better than decent, and reasonably priced. The gnocchi just needed a little SOMETHING, and it would have been great. The lamb shank was also quite good, but not over the top. Sitting outside, it was not too noisy, and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's day dinnerMMAOCDined on 6/15/2014We were a big group of 10, dining out for a Father's Day dinner. Service was great and friendly, food reasonably priced, and hostess helped us get 2 extra seats at the last-minute. Very nice place! Great spot on the ues!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatNoneDined on 6/11/2014Wednesday night the food was excellent. Soft shell crab to start and then the best lamb shank I can remember having in years.Special Features:
- EDWARDOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/4/2014The staff is always gracious and accommodating, but on this special occasion, we had the pleasure and good fortune of having EDWARD as our wait person. We were celebrating a birthday and Edward was sensitive to nuance and created the atmosphere for a more leisurely visit, the staff rallied 'round for the birthday dessert presentation, but Edward made the already special blueberry pie a real present. That's the kind of public relations that is rare and much needed and makes all the difference. Thank you, Edward!Special Features:
- Family owned placeAnthonyUDined on 5/30/2014Love the smaller family owned places. We were sitting next to a couple with their mother/in law. Had a nice little convo with them, little did we know we were sitting next to the owners. They wished my girlfriend a happy birthday and bought us dessert. Lovely people, very up beat helpful staff. This was really good Italian food, i had the veal ravioli. They had a pretty good selection of wine, and the dessert was amazing. The tiramisu was so light and fluffy, it was like eating a cloud. We went for my girlfriend's birthday and it was a perfect spot for it, quiet, Romance, and affordable. I suggest this place highly, and adding it to the list of my spots in the citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 210 reviews are from the Cavatappo Grill reviews archive.
- I would describe it as okVisitingNYDined on 5/10/2014I was out alone and based on other reviews thought I'd try them. It seemed the crowd was mostly local nieborhood families. I don't know if it was because I was alone, but I felt like they forgot about me. The service was slow and they rarely came back and checked on me. The food was better than average, but not wow.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem in Yorkville/UESuppereastsideDined on 5/4/2014Wonderful ambience and amazing dishes. Always have unique specials and scrumptious desserts (my personal favorite is the blueberry pie).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine and delicious food!Amanda13Dined on 4/26/2014Went to Cavatappo Grill for the first time this past weekend while visiting NYC. We had great service and the food was delicious. My favorite was the spinach pappardelle and duck pasta. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always dependablecurlyDined on 4/26/2014this time 7for dinner. Everyone was pleased. I'm coming back for dinner tomorrow with business people.Special Features:
- Always a nice experience diningOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/5/2014Always a nice experience dining and drinking here.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/27/2014We had a lovely meal here. When you want a homestyle meal, great service, no preparing or cleaning up, definitely come here.. I've been here twice in the last two weeks, and enjoyed both meals. I had the duck parpadelle one night and the Cornish hens the other. Both were excellent. A definite recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Food, Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2014Though our appetizers came right away, there was a LARGE gap of time (at least 20 minutes) before our entrees appeared. As our little boy rarely orders both an appetizer AND an entrée, he was starving. No-one came by to say anything until about 2 minutes before our food appeared. The food was tasty, but I wouldn't go here if you were in a hurry or expected timely service. It took so long, we did not stay for dessert, but bought ice cream on the way home from the grocery store!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy Access and DelicioussydbVIPDined on 3/15/2014Great to have a local restaurant of good quality and good service. Shared beet salad; grilled vegetables; Entrees of grilled bass, veal ragout pasta, lamb shank. All very delicious and reasonably priced. Will be back again soon! They were also very accomodating with seating-- we had to change table to facilitate my husband who is recovering from hip surgery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely neighborhood findRkiddDined on 3/7/2014Cavatappo is a great little restaurant on the upper east side. Service is wonderful and the food is consistently good. They serve a small or large pasta portion which means you can try a salad or appetizer also without getting too full. They can accommodate larger groups (6-8 people) but it is also nice for an intimate dinner for two. Highly recommend the pasta with duck and the ravioli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodthedeityDined on 2/28/2014This was the first time we went to Cavatappo. The restaurant is small but inviting. The service was friendly and efficient. Food was really good. The polenta and mushrooms was terrific and the pasta and lamb ragu was excellent. I like the idea that they offer pasta dishes in both appetizer size and entree size. We had a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian in the UESYummyyyVIPDined on 2/22/2014Amazing food. Friendly service. Just a little slow for two hungry diners. We had an app, salad, and shared an entree and it took nearly 3 hours. Happy to linger over dinner, just not when I'm really hungry. But the dessert (blueberry pie of all things!) was well worth the wait. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- Pleasant dining experiencePerpnosDined on 2/22/2014Cavatappo Grill was a pleasantly surprising restaurant. It is close to my apartment and I had passed it numerous times without giving much thought to it. It did not seem particularly extraordinary in styling or ambience, but upon entering the restaurant, I felt comfortable. The wait staff was excellent and attentive. The food was good too. This is not a restaurant you go to for avante garde cuisine. It is definitely a restaurant that you can return to time and time again with friends and family. The food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great service!CjovelDined on 2/18/2014The staff at Cavatappo Grill is very attentive and polite. I needed a place to meet with a friend that I hadn't seen in a while and I chose Cavatappo because it had a good wine selection. The food was delicious and we didn't have to wait too long for anything. It may have something to do with the fact that I was there for an early dinner. I had the baked mussels with pesto, mussels in white wine, and the beet salad. These were all great choices, especially the beet salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New NeigborsNewbieDined on 2/15/2014Just moved into the neighborhood and have been trying different Italian restatuarants. We found this one to be very good. It was cozy on a very cold wintery night. Friendly service..... both the hostest Sara and the owner spent time to get to know us at least a little.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid the Prixe FixnicknameDined on 2/14/2014Took my girlfriend for Valentine's Day. We decided to go for the Prixe Fix. Food was terrible. Salmon was overcooked and bland and the rigatoni was chewy.
- Great Upper East Side ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/5/2014I really enjoyed the experience. Ate mostly from the "Specials" menu. Try it, you'll like it!Special Features:
- Delicious refuge on a cold night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/3/2014Cavatappo was perfect for us on a cold Monday night after the Super Bowl. We had depressed Bronco fans with us who had been snowed in here in NYC after attending the game. The ambiance was warm and homey, the service cheerful and accommodating, and the food pleased everyone. I loved the grilled shrimp and avocado salad. My husband, whose mother is Italian and a great cook, loved his pasta with sausage and broccoli rabe, saying it was just like what his mom would make. The Bronco fans, who are also very particular about their food, loved the grilled sausage, and my brother and his friend were very pleased with their dishes as well. Blueberry pie and creme brulee were divine. Highest praise: my husband said, "I could bring my mom here."Special Features:
- Best in YorkvilleMaadiaDined on 1/24/2014Deliciously consistent, Luca and his staff care about every aspect of your dining experience. This is the best restaurant in Yorkville by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistently good food,ElaineDined on 1/18/2014Always consistently good food, good service, warm ambiance. A great neighborhood restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm, comfortable, deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/8/2014We had arrived in Ny about 6pm, tires from an early rising and all day traveling. This place was a block from our apt, according to Urban Spoon, and the menu looked good. My dish-spinach pappardelle with duck and porcini in a cream sauce was just as I imagined-well, maybe even better. Wonderful wine, kind service nice table by the window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only fair this visitOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/4/2014We have been frequent visitors in the past but we found a recent brunch disappointing. T he service was gradual though friendly. The mimosas were mostly orange juice and food was only average, especially compared to past performance. Biggest food disappointment was the big bignoli with lamb ragu, usually a winner, but seemed to be just a reheated leftover. This was a brunch with family to celebrate my wife's birthday so that added to our disappointment.
- We were there for New Years,DiningDined on 12/31/2013We were there for New Years, Very young crowd, Staff is wonderful! Looking to please and gave fantastic service, I had the mozzerella, very good. Salmon average. Atmosphere is lovelySpecial Features:
- A little pricy, but food isOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2013A little pricy, but food is quite good. I enjoy a choice of small dishesSpecial Features:
- my go to in the neighborhoodrockeyVIPDined on 11/16/2013The food never disappoints and the service is always great. It is a great place to get together with friends or a romantic evening. Sometime I will stop by form brunch for myself if I have been out shopping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.