1712 First Avenue
New York, NY 10128Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cavatappo.com/
- Phone: (212) 987-9260
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room: Mon-Sun. 12noon - 11 p.m.
Bar: Mon.-Thur. 12noon - 11 p.m.
Sun. 11:30a.m. - 11 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Luca Marcato
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering available with custom menu and full service.
A word from Cavatappo Grill
Chef Luca Marcato creates a casual vibe at Cavatappo Grill, housed in the former Luca space with a warm, rustic & cozy ambiance. Milanese cuisine with New York Bite! Recently reviewed in the Michelin guide, in Zagats and the New York Times.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cavatappo Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)fit for foodies (14)great for brunch (13)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (10)good for groups (10)notable wine list (9)romantic (4)special occasion (4)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/25/2014We had a lovely experience. The service was outstanding, the food was extremely good, well-presented and beautifully prepared. This was a very pleasant surprise as we are just visiting. We were treated with courtesy and Christina, our server, was very attentive. The restaurant is small which accounts for the quality of the food. This is clearly a local favorite, as there was a good crowd present. Charming!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like it should bemikeDined on 11/14/2014Fresh pasta was very well done and the grilled calamari was tender and perfectly prepared. Good win choices and carafes is a nice option to a full bottleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service, great foodNinaVIPDined on 11/11/2014The people at Cavatappo Grill are wonderful. The service was so professional and warm, and our large group of foodies was handled and pampered by just one waiter and two bus boys, who never left us waiting, and kept the many bottles of Brunello coming. Everything was good--veal ravioli, cutlets, pastas, mashed potatoes, and desserts! We'll be back.Special Features:
- Our favorite local ItalianDbyoungerDined on 11/9/2014We love Cavatappo to eat in or for delivery. They have gluten free pasta options. Luca, the owner is almost always there. The food is fresh and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too bad about the serviceuppereastneighborVIPDined on 11/8/2014The food was very good, the noise level allowed for conversation since the music was audible but not loud and the choices and prices were good. The experience was a bit marred by the inattentive service. This is a small restaurant so the service should have been excellent, especially when the place emptied out and there were only a few tables full. The wait staff was pleasant but hard to find from the moment we enter to the moment we left. Perhaps it was just an off day.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014First time here and we will definitely be back. Food delicious and service excellent. Restaurant is very small and tables are on top of each other. A little too noisy the night we were there. A table of 12 next to us became a bit rowdy. Perhaps it was the alcohol. Perhaps they had no manners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My neighborhood go to restaurantUptownDinerDined on 9/21/2014When I have company and no one can agree on where to go, this is the place. Whether it's for a good burger, something fish, a good salad, there is enough of choice. The food is reliably good. The service can be very good or mediocre but always pleasantSpecial Features:
- luigiDined on 9/19/2014Warm, old-school setting that makes you feel at home. Italian comfort food -- and authentic. Good value.Special Features:
- Great Upper East ItalianNYCdinerVIPDined on 9/17/2014Excellent and diverse Italian menu -- everything from fish to pasta to veal and interesting salad options, too. Moderate prices. Perfect for a few couples or family dinner. Everyone can feel comfortable here.Special Features:
- Great Authentic Food, No FussOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2014Our first time here, but not the last. Owned and run on site by Luca, native Italian Master Chef from Milan. Being italian myself I'm always on the search for my Holy Grail--good gnocchi. Not pasty, not chewy but it can't be too soft. He hits the mark, which is rare. The Veal Scallopeni was just the right texture (and flavor) and even small plates like the fired olives were delicate. Usually one or two and they are overwhelming, but his are delicious without being to salty or rich, so the substantial size portion was gone in a flash. Can't eat just one.... or two..... Looking forward to going back to try more things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully attentive Edouard &crewOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/5/2014Arrived with demanding producer in tow and the wonderfully attentive Eduard and chefs made us proud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Go-toChuckkVIPDined on 9/2/2014Cavatappo is a solid go-to neighborhood location. Food is fine if not outstanding; wine list is varied and reasonable as oar the food prices; service is courteous.Special Features:
- Always greatJasonDined on 8/31/2014My favorite neighborhood place. The food never disappoints, great wine list and the service is always wonderful. the desserts are excellent too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Food WonderJoeNYCVIPDined on 8/30/2014Short & Sweet: I've been here twice, both were for brunch/lunch with friends. Each time we were very happy with the food flavor, quality, presentation and the wait staff's unobtrusive service. Great for sandwiches and omelets. The coffee was just right too! Oh, and the French fries were nice and crispy. All in all, very satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableWeezieVIPDined on 8/23/2014This our neighborhood go-to place for a good Italian dinner. Food is always good although service can sometimes a bit slow it was not the case this time. Love the chicken-liver appetizer and the fried olives are great nibbles. Pastas don't disappoint and I'm addicted to the sausages. The veal chop special this weekend was great too! But shhh! Don't want this to become overcrowded so those of us in the 'hood can't get in ;-)Special Features:
- Nice people --- mediocre food.Neighborhoodiner1VIPDined on 8/20/2014This is a charming little Italian place that serves bland and uninteresting pasta. Baked mussels are excellent however as is the blueberry pie. The waitstaff is gracious and friendly.Special Features:
- Great Place!foodloverDined on 8/9/2014I always jog past here and noticed how nice it was. I had dinner here, well early dinner and it was really nice. I will definitely come at night though, I feel that you would be able to feel the specialness this place has. But it is definitely a nice place to go for brunch too! The food was good, the Cheese fondue was good, but it wasn't the best. Calamari was awesome! I definitely will try the dessert next time! The service was great too!Special Features:
- Very Good and ResonableJackDined on 8/8/2014Good selections on the menu. Well prepared. Excellent and non intrusive service by Matt. Professional and attentive. Enjoyable neighborhood spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 220 reviews are from the Cavatappo Grill reviews archive.
- love cavatappoJasonDined on 7/13/2014Cavatappo is a great go-to neighborhood restaurant. the food is always great as well as the staff & service. They always make you feel like family. And they have a great wine list too!. I've never had a meal that i didn't enjoy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/29/2014We encountered the wonderful Eduard again this evening and we greeted each other like old friends. We also found out that we had pastry chef Santiago to thank for the amazing and unique blueberry pie that draws us to Cavatappo for celebrations and the odd Tuesday. (Please tell Santiago that we owe him a year's worth of thanks for all the pies we've ordered, and, in turn, ordered our friends to request! We hear Cherry pie (sour cherry, we hope?) may be coming for the 4th of July! We hope that it will linger (along with the blueberry pie) for, at least, the rest of July. Thank you, again, to the chefs - staff. Lori and SteveSpecial Features:
- EstherEstherPDined on 6/27/2014I have been to Cavatappo Grill many times in the past; they are a neighborhood staple for us. As always, the food was delicious, the ambiance was great and they are extremely accommodating when needed. We love this neighborhood gem and will continue to eat there and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchMarianalgDined on 6/22/2014We went for the $13 brunch special (1 cocktail included!!), which was great. Not only you could choose among the brunch special dishes, but you could also choose among the whole menu (except for the entrees). Some friends went for pasta (servings are smaller if you're having the brunch special) and I had a delicious sandwich with hummus and vegetables on focaccia bread... Yummy! The service was really really nice, and the place is genuine, loved the decoration on the walls! I would definitely recommend this place! :)Special Features:
- Solid neighborhood restaurantDiningNYC2013Dined on 6/21/2014Satisfying food. Friendly and professional service that gives you enough time to decide on dessert. Open and airy during the summer months. Affordable bottles of wine. Overall, a relaxing meal -- what a meal should be!Special Features:
- Lovely outdoor summer eveningJustcatoDined on 6/16/2014The food was better than decent, and reasonably priced. The gnocchi just needed a little SOMETHING, and it would have been great. The lamb shank was also quite good, but not over the top. Sitting outside, it was not too noisy, and the service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's day dinnerMMAOCDined on 6/15/2014We were a big group of 10, dining out for a Father's Day dinner. Service was great and friendly, food reasonably priced, and hostess helped us get 2 extra seats at the last-minute. Very nice place! Great spot on the ues!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatNoneVIPDined on 6/11/2014Wednesday night the food was excellent. Soft shell crab to start and then the best lamb shank I can remember having in years.Special Features:
- EDWARDOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/4/2014The staff is always gracious and accommodating, but on this special occasion, we had the pleasure and good fortune of having EDWARD as our wait person. We were celebrating a birthday and Edward was sensitive to nuance and created the atmosphere for a more leisurely visit, the staff rallied 'round for the birthday dessert presentation, but Edward made the already special blueberry pie a real present. That's the kind of public relations that is rare and much needed and makes all the difference. Thank you, Edward!Special Features:
- Family owned placeAnthonyUDined on 5/30/2014Love the smaller family owned places. We were sitting next to a couple with their mother/in law. Had a nice little convo with them, little did we know we were sitting next to the owners. They wished my girlfriend a happy birthday and bought us dessert. Lovely people, very up beat helpful staff. This was really good Italian food, i had the veal ravioli. They had a pretty good selection of wine, and the dessert was amazing. The tiramisu was so light and fluffy, it was like eating a cloud. We went for my girlfriend's birthday and it was a perfect spot for it, quiet, Romance, and affordable. I suggest this place highly, and adding it to the list of my spots in the citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would describe it as okVisitingNYDined on 5/10/2014I was out alone and based on other reviews thought I'd try them. It seemed the crowd was mostly local nieborhood families. I don't know if it was because I was alone, but I felt like they forgot about me. The service was slow and they rarely came back and checked on me. The food was better than average, but not wow.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem in Yorkville/UESuppereastsideVIPDined on 5/4/2014Wonderful ambience and amazing dishes. Always have unique specials and scrumptious desserts (my personal favorite is the blueberry pie).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine and delicious food!Amanda13Dined on 4/26/2014Went to Cavatappo Grill for the first time this past weekend while visiting NYC. We had great service and the food was delicious. My favorite was the spinach pappardelle and duck pasta. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always dependablecurlyDined on 4/26/2014this time 7for dinner. Everyone was pleased. I'm coming back for dinner tomorrow with business people.Special Features:
- Always a nice experience diningDieferDinerVIPDined on 4/5/2014Always a nice experience dining and drinking here.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/27/2014We had a lovely meal here. When you want a homestyle meal, great service, no preparing or cleaning up, definitely come here.. I've been here twice in the last two weeks, and enjoyed both meals. I had the duck parpadelle one night and the Cornish hens the other. Both were excellent. A definite recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Food, Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2014Though our appetizers came right away, there was a LARGE gap of time (at least 20 minutes) before our entrees appeared. As our little boy rarely orders both an appetizer AND an entrée, he was starving. No-one came by to say anything until about 2 minutes before our food appeared. The food was tasty, but I wouldn't go here if you were in a hurry or expected timely service. It took so long, we did not stay for dessert, but bought ice cream on the way home from the grocery store!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy Access and DelicioussydbVIPDined on 3/15/2014Great to have a local restaurant of good quality and good service. Shared beet salad; grilled vegetables; Entrees of grilled bass, veal ragout pasta, lamb shank. All very delicious and reasonably priced. Will be back again soon! They were also very accomodating with seating-- we had to change table to facilitate my husband who is recovering from hip surgery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely neighborhood findRkiddDined on 3/7/2014Cavatappo is a great little restaurant on the upper east side. Service is wonderful and the food is consistently good. They serve a small or large pasta portion which means you can try a salad or appetizer also without getting too full. They can accommodate larger groups (6-8 people) but it is also nice for an intimate dinner for two. Highly recommend the pasta with duck and the ravioli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodthedeityDined on 2/28/2014This was the first time we went to Cavatappo. The restaurant is small but inviting. The service was friendly and efficient. Food was really good. The polenta and mushrooms was terrific and the pasta and lamb ragu was excellent. I like the idea that they offer pasta dishes in both appetizer size and entree size. We had a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian in the UESYummyyyVIPDined on 2/22/2014Amazing food. Friendly service. Just a little slow for two hungry diners. We had an app, salad, and shared an entree and it took nearly 3 hours. Happy to linger over dinner, just not when I'm really hungry. But the dessert (blueberry pie of all things!) was well worth the wait. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- Pleasant dining experiencePerpnosDined on 2/22/2014Cavatappo Grill was a pleasantly surprising restaurant. It is close to my apartment and I had passed it numerous times without giving much thought to it. It did not seem particularly extraordinary in styling or ambience, but upon entering the restaurant, I felt comfortable. The wait staff was excellent and attentive. The food was good too. This is not a restaurant you go to for avante garde cuisine. It is definitely a restaurant that you can return to time and time again with friends and family. The food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.