421 NW Riverside Dr
Evansville, IN 47708Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://tropevansville.com/dining
- Phone: 8124334333x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm- 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Joseph Wilson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Piano Bar Nightly
A word from Cavanaugh's
Flawless steaks. Fresh seafood. Impeccable service. Enjoy the finest cuisine paired with sweeping river views. Cavanaugh’s is the perfect place for the perfect evening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cavanaugh's - Best Restaurants in Evansville ›
Cavanaugh's reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (26)special occasion (23)romantic (19)good for groups (9)notable wine list (9)fit for foodies (4)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Nice View, Nice FoodjerryVIPDined on 9/10/2014We have eaten here before. The steaks are quite good. Nice view of the River. Service is excellent. I recommend even for non Gamblers.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner was a hit.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014My husband and I decided to visit Cavanaughs on 8/22 for an anniversary celebration. We have been before and the food/service was sometimes a bit lacking and because of that we tended to steer away. However, this time the service as well as the food was fabulous. We were informed that the restaurant was revamping and I have to say they are doing a fantastic job. Our waitress was wonderful and offered many suggestions both with entrees as well as wine selection. I regret not writing down the waitresses name, she deserves some recognition. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we are visiting again 9/18.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1happywifeDined on 8/16/2014Our food was delicious & Ryan, our waiter was great! Tables are a little too close to each other & seemed like a long wait between soup & entree. When you order something marked (market price), better ask what that price is before ordering!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cavanaugh's was amazing again!goodfoodgoodviewgoodplaceDined on 8/11/2014We had another great dinner at Cavanaugh's for my best friend's birthday. They gave us the best table/view in the restaurant, and the service was awesome. The food was awesome. My and my wife's steak were unbelievable. Cooked to the correct temperature and very juicy and full of flavor. I did have a couple concerns though. First, there was hardly any bacon on my wedge salad. The crumbled smoked bacon is the best part, and for some reason I got a half piece of bacon, and it wasn't crumbled. Secondly, my Au gratin potatoes were cold and hard. I know that may be considered nitpicking by some, but at a $300 price tag, everything should be spot on. Lastly, oysters on the menu, but 3rd time we have been and they were "out"Special Features:
- Good....butMattDined on 8/9/2014Great view. Filet was fantastic. Prime rib was bland. Dessert was good and the appetizer good. Worst part was service. Very poor for this price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occassionperfectnight23Dined on 8/7/2014Everything was great! We had a great view. Food was excellent. Service was great. I wouldn't change a thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodshooterDined on 8/2/2014a very good place to eat the service and the food was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mike is the best!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2014Mike gave us dinner and entertainment! He had an amazing personality that went over well with our entire group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!HappyDined on 7/26/2014We were celebrating a birthday and the staff at Cavanaugh's made sure it was special. Everything was top notch, timed right & delicious. Cavanaugh's is an excellent place for special moments!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnergoodfoodgoodviewgoodplaceDined on 7/6/2014My wife and I have been married for 4 years, and the last 3 we have spent our anniversary at Cavanaugh's. I have ate here probably 25 times, and can only remember one or two times that I was somewhat disappointed. You kind of expect it to happen from time to time, but it really doesn't here, and this was another wonderful dinner and evening. Shrimp cocktail was to die for, salads were excellent, my ny strip and au gratin potatoes were perfect, and my wife loved the Blackened Neptune entrée. We had a few drinks and watched the sun set over the Ohio River. Really it is hard to find a better dining atmosphere within a 2-3 hour radius of Evansville than Cavanaugh's. We had a few short "waits" for bread and drinks but nothing to complain abtSpecial Features:
- Very niceEmilyDined on 6/23/2014The staff and owner/manager were very hospitable for our kids. The food was really well cooked. Great selections and the chef worked with us on kids dishes. A bit cliche in terms of a nicer end restaurant but overall we really enjoyed the food. The view is quite amazing especially if you can sit next to a window. Lovely manager/owner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View of the Ohio RiverIndianaBipsDined on 6/19/2014In addition to outstanding steaks, seafood and desserts, we had a spectacular view of the Ohio River from our table near the window. Servers were prompt and very friendly especially with being a special birthday dinner for my father-in-law. A bit pricey but worth every cent for any special occasion. We were also at Cavanaugh's for Valentine's Day and everything was also perfect for the evening dinner.Special Features:
- Cavanaugh's Scenic View of OhioJohnDined on 6/18/2014Sandy was very nice to us and made us feel special. She gave as a very nice table which looked over the Ohio River. Mike waited on us and he was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBigFoodieDined on 6/14/2014Food was not seasoned well!!! We had to add salt and pepper to everything including the butter for the bread. For the expense of everything nothing stood out as tasting exceptional. I could've went to chain restaurant and gotten a better steak and salad for half the price. I feel like we just paid extra for view and service NOT the food. We are never going back!Special Features:
- Daddy / Daughter Date NightRockpickDined on 6/14/2014My seven year old daughter noted that she wanted to have a 'fancy' dinner. With the choices across the Evansville area being somewhat limited, we opted to try Cavanaugh's. The service was spectacular and everyone was very friendly - especially considering that I had a very cute 7-year old in tow. I opted for a prime rib and my daughter chose an appetizer as her entree. While the chef would not substitute the shoestring sweet potatoes that came with the beef satay for mashed potatoes for my daughter, the flavor, texture and overall quality of her dish was great. Frankly, I liked the flavor of hers better than my prime rib. That said, the prime rib wasn't bad... a tad over cooked and slightly dry. Bravo for the au jus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ViewCkbcpDined on 6/10/2014Our requested table was perfect and the good was great. Although it was a bit pricey, the special occasion was worth the price. The server was knowledgeable and professional and the wait was minimal. Very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014We dine here everytime we visit Evansville. It is by far our favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- servicejoesDined on 6/6/2014Staff was outstanding. My wife and I really enjoy our dinning. Great service. Staff followed all my request. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/24/2014We used to love this place! Had quite a bit of trouble the last time. The order did not come out correctly. Then the meat was over cooked. It was sent back and still did not come out right the second time; had an awful flavor. Out of the 4 of us that were dining, one of us enjoyed the food. One of us sat in a broken chair and fell through. Our server was sweet but another one was rude. I will give them credit because the manager was absolutely fabulous. She took the uneaten, over cooked meat off of our bill and was as sweet and professional as could be. We will give this place one more shot , just hoping it was a fluke. It is too pricy to be awful twice in a row.Special Features:
- The following 26 reviews are from the Cavanaugh's reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014I took my husband here for his birthday dinner & we absolutely loved it! The view was beautiful, our waitress was great & the food was amazing! We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mghnurseDined on 5/2/2014Terrific meal and great service. Steaks were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014My wife's meal _ prime rib - mwas excellent, however my steak - 6 ounce filet - was not. It was less than one half inch thick and was not mediun rare as ordered. It was not quite well done and was dry. Not what I would expect from a "steak house". I will probably not go again unless coerced by my wife.Special Features:
- ExcellentDenrodDined on 4/20/2014The food on the brunch was amazing. Variety was great. Not the best place for kids!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - shabby surroundings.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014The Easter Brunch food offerings were delicious and extensive. However, the ambiance at Cavanaugh's has become run-down and shabby. The table clothes weren't ironed. The chairs were full of crumbs from the evening before (evident since we were the 1st sitting for brunch) and every chair at our table was broken (all seat supports were sagging and one wood back was snapped). The location of the brunch serving lines created a bottle neck at the entry to the restaurant for patrons entering, trying to fill their plates or departing. Also the brunch area was poorly lit (as it was arranged in the bar area). Overall we were disappointed with the value for the dollar with the 2014 Easter Brunch.Special Features:
- Wasn't very accommodating..Outshined89Dined on 4/5/2014Made a reservation with special request for candle light dinner and stated it was our anniversary but we were given an incredibly small and cramped table between two other groups. Table was plain with no special candles or anything. Restaurant was very noisy and table was cramped. Would have preferred to sit next to my girl but the table arrangement didn't allow it. Food tasted excellent while service was acceptable. Next time we go we will just eat at the Piano Bar portion of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great date spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Took my girlfriend there for our 1 year, really made the day special for both of us! Great food, wine, service, and atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not meet expectationsWillyDined on 3/6/2014I travel to Evansville from Indy and usually go to Cavanaughs if I want to have a big city Steak dinner. My Ribeye was luke warm when they served it and the wine list was lacking. I have had better steaks here in the past but really not sure I will come here again. Can get a better cooked steak at Bonefish or Outback. Missed the mark.Special Features:
- Amazing Valentine weekend mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014The food was amazing! Had the surf and turf couples special. shrimp cocktail appetizer, salad or soup, filet and lobster, and dessert for both. Really really good. The only thing was that the mashed potatoes were luke warm but still tasty. Our server Mike was great. We asked for a few changes to the menu and he agreed without question. Great great night. Our few cons were that it was freezing in there, the tablecloth was soaking wet ( I assume because it was busy and they were doing a lot of laundry), and we felt a bit rushed with the meal. Overall, we enjoyed it tremendously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Valentine DinnerTimSDined on 2/15/2014The Valentine Special was awesome, there is a lot of food with it for a great price. I would highly recommend it for a Valentine Dinner to anyone that is looking to take there spouse out for the night. The server we had was so nice and had a great attitude, her happy attitude made the night even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Food was fantastic as always, their steaks are unbelievable. It was very loud but it was also extremely busy. I will continue to go back again and again. If you haven't been you need to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrostyGrinderDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I enjoyed a Valentine's dinner at the restaurant. The food was very good and service very acceptable, but the restaurant was cold. Uncomfort from being cold took away from the whole dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak in EvansvillejerryVIPDined on 2/13/2014We have been to Cavanaugh's several times and we have always enjoyed it. Their beef if very good. However, for non beef eaters there are many good choices. The ambience is very nice with a view of the Ohio River. Our server was especially attentive and made the night even more special. It is attached to the Casino but that should not be a distraction for non gamblers. You can easily park under cover, walk to the restaurant under cover and enjoy a nice dinner and not even see the Casino.Special Features:
- Fine Dining at It's Best!QTPieDined on 1/17/2014We went to Cavanaugh's to celebrate a birthday. The service was great. This restaurant has a great view of the river. The food was superb. The special was a sea bass, which was excellent. The portion was large! Although the prices are higher than your average restaurant in the area, the food and service is well worth it. It's not just your average chain restaurant like all over town in Evansville. This is something special. You won't be fighting a crowd like at the restaurants on the eastside. You won't have to deal with the screaming children running around. This is where you celebrate a promotion, an anniversary, a birthday, etc. Take your special someone and enjoy! Just sit back, relax and let your tastebuds devour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely astonishing.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/13/2014Cavanaughs is wonderful. From the servers and bartenders to the chefs all the way through management, you can tell the people who work there truly care about the customer experience and the food and beverage industry. The bartenders are extremly knowledgable about the wine list and various liquors. The server we had knew the menu top to bottom and made wonderful recommendations. The chef came out and explained a wonderful special my wife tried and she said it was the best Seabass she has ever had. I ordered the bone in ribeye and I understand now why they were voted best place to get a steak 6 years in a row. I loved the experience this establishment offers I will definitely be back and loved the piano bar after dinner. Best in evansville.Special Features:
- dress codetrtvDined on 12/31/2013One of the few places in Evansville you can still dress up although the dress code has been removed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years EveJohnDined on 12/31/2013Two of us enjoyed an excellent romantic New Years Eve dinner. We had a nice wine a salad and lobster tails. We enjoyed the atmosphere and saw several people we new. It is a wonderful special occasion restaurant.Special Features:
- New Year's Eve celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013First time to eat here....been to the boat several times....went for New Year's Eve....the staff and the food was awesome.....even though the place was overbooked we still got seated on reservation time.....and food came out in a timely manner and was all cooked correctly.....thumbs up!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst in yearsKimHDined on 12/31/2013The food was the worst we have had in years. All of the food was bland and tasteless. We will not be returning!
- Great special occasion atmospherediningentertainmentDined on 12/27/2013Perfect atmosphere with a view for a quiet evening with great food and service. It works for a couple, or a small group of couples. Also enjoyed the piano bar atmosphere outside the main restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, service very good.A1221Dined on 12/21/2013Food good, service very good. Restaurant needs a remodel & update.Special Features: