Cava Wine Bar
185 West 80th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Latin / SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
Cava Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cavanyc.com/
- Phone: 2127242282
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 6;00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 1:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Jose Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Late Night, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We can host Birthday Parties, Engagement Parties, Bridal Showers, and Corporate Events etc. Please feel free to inquire and we will be glad to assist you.
- Private Party Contact: Neil Lizardi 9177330400
A word from Cava Wine Bar
Cava Wine Bar is a Latin Caribbean Wine Bar featuring a fusion of Cuban, Dominican, and Puerto Rican dishes. We offer a refreshing list of international wines to pair with our rich traditional cuisine. In addition, Cava Wine Bar is proud to present a variety of art exhibitions throughout the year. We also host free tastings throughout the year where our patrons get to meet these wonderful artists, musicians and writers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cava Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (2)good for groups (2)fit for foodies (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)romantic (2)special occasion (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Very nice little tapas/wine barThegoodlifeDined on 8/23/2014Great neighborhood spot with a nice wine list, wide variety of tapas plate choices and excellent, friendly choices. We like to sit in the window and watch UWS NY go by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 39 reviews are from the Cava Wine Bar reviews archive.
- the risotto---only flawCve66Dined on 1/11/2014have been there many times and it is one of our favorites on this day one of dinners had to be sent back--the others great to their credit, was taken off billSpecial Features:
- Upper West Side GemKenDow13Dined on 1/10/2014Wonderful wine bar and restaurant with great atmosphere, good wine list and great food. Staff was excellent. While we were first timers they treated us like family. Recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outKathyDined on 12/4/2013For my husband's birthday I had planned a special night out- an Elton John concert! I wanted to try a new restaurant with a special menu, which this proved to be! It was quiet , friendly and the food was delicious. I'll go back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful Wine List - EXPENSIVEWinoDined on 11/1/2013Left here with an 80 dollars tab for 3 (awful) glasses of wine and two appetizers BEFORE tip. It was about 100 after tip. I am picky of my wines but can mostly drink everything - the red wine was absolutely awful and I did not even finish it. Tiny little place, cool ambiance (art/lighting) and great music (i love hispanic music) however, there are many other places in NYC with great music and art but with better wine lists, and better food. Will not return.
- Great food and good wine.BlueDined on 10/11/2013Food was very good and price's are reasonable. Place had a great feel and good service.Special Features:
- Cool Neighborhood Wine BarNYCheapChicDinerDined on 7/29/2013Recently visited Cava and enjoyed glass of sparkling wine and empanadas. Got a great window seat that looked out on to the street and it was lovely. The service was excellent. We were attended to as soon as we sat down. We chose from a small wine list that seemed well edited. The small bites/tapas offered were a mix of american and latin. Our hostess told us about the emphasis on Dominican cooking. We selected a trio of empanadas: beef, shrimp and chicken which were all delicious. They were cut in half so that my companion and I could taste each. Presentation was both clean and appetizing. Prices were relatively inexpensive which made it even more appealing. The perfect neighborhood place for a small bite or after work drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming local w good food serviceJjnycVIPDined on 7/25/2013Cute place. Good food. Friendly staff. Nice wine bar atmosphere. They were sold out of several wines though and not every white they had was very cold
- Authentic Dominican foodOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 6/9/2013My wife who is from San Juan said that their mofongo was one of the best she has ever eaten in her entire life. She gave the food there 5 stars and we can't wait to return in the near future.Special Features:
- Don't belong on OpenTable ... yet.GmanandFamVIPDined on 5/25/2013I saw this restaurant while dining the previous night and thought it would be a nice place to eat. When I saw it was on OpenTable, I was pleased because it would be so easy to set up a reservation. I was more excited when I found that they had a table for 6 available almost right away. I made the reservation and my party and I started walking to the restaurant. about 3 minutes later, I got a call from the restaurant saying that they could not guarantee a table for six, they just did not have that availability. They said they might be able to seat us within 45 minutes of our requested time but that they were not sure. I ate elsewhere Clearly they don't understand how to use OpenTable. I recommend their removal - pending retraining!
- This place is great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2013Had our first date here, ended up getting married so we had a tiny wedding dinner here, too. They were so gracious to us, it's such a cozy fun place! Food and drinks are good, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gemKeyvanDined on 4/27/2013There are so many restaurants on Amsterdam avenue that it is easy to miss this spot on 80th a few steps from the avenue but after living in UWS for a year I finally paid a visit to Cava bar for a relaxed dinner. The staff were extremely friendly and introduced themselves and asked our names. The menu has a lot of flavorful options and the staff do a great job of explaining the choices. We ordered the scallops and plantain stuffed beef and they were great. Get a couple of sides if you are hungry too! Overall experience was very positive. It's a nice little spot and I'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood jointJGNYCVIPDined on 4/27/2013Cava is a small restaurant on the side street, staff are very friendly and eager to please. Wine list and menu are all Spanish. There experience is charming, like eating at a sidewalk tapas place in Madrid. Nothing over the top or mind-blowing, and it's not particularly inexpensive. A couple of drinks and some food will probably set you back $60 each with tax and tip. Just a nice place to get some good food and try some nice wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really lovely little bar.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013Really lovely little bar. Staff were very attentive, food was great. It's a little pricey but great place to meet friends. Bit loud if you are on a date!Special Features:
- Very nice spot with a waitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/17/2013Very nice spot with a wait staff that really let us enjoy the space unencumbered by distractions. Great decor as well.Special Features:
- We LOVE cava it is one ofMMDUNNVIPDined on 4/13/2013We LOVE cava it is one of our favorite restaurants in Manhattan. The food is fabulous, the wine is great, location cant be beat and the staff is knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:
- Amazing Upper West Side WineOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/15/2013Amazing Upper West Side Wine Bar!! Would highly recommend, had an amazing time!! The staff is extremely nice and personable making the experience highly enjoyable!
- Valentines day dinner & drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/15/2013Valentines day dinner & drinks was a success thanks to CavaSpecial Features:
- Fun, Friendly, and for FoodiesCheckPleaseVIPDined on 2/5/2013We've been going here for a couple of years and the cuban/dominican tapas are excellent. The staff is friendly and welcoming and that's half the reason we go. Great on Sundays when everyone else is serving boring egg brunches, you can get a real meal here. And they know their wines. Fun spot.Special Features:
- We went for dinner New Year'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012We went for dinner New Year's Eve. The waiter was great! The food was excellent and we had a great time. Recommended! Looking forward to coming back.Special Features:
- The entrees at this placeCAS916VIPDined on 12/27/2012The entrees at this place are pathetic. Stick to the appetizers and small places. Aside from that this place is an OK neighborhood wine bar but don't travel from other neighborhoods to come.
- Go for the lambchops and croquettasRickDined on 12/14/2012Go for the lambchops and croquettas at this small romantic little wine bar/restaurant. Excellent service and tasty food make for a fun night.Special Features:
- The service was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/26/2012The service was excellent and as the wine that I wanted was only sold by the bottle, I was given a tasting of several wines that it was thought I'd like and a replacement was found. The salad was fine, served dressed in a balsamic vinegarett, but the sea bass was a bit over cooked and dry. The squash it was served atop over powered the entire dish which included spinach.Special Features:
- We have been here severalMMDUNNVIPDined on 10/11/2012We have been here several times and always leave very happy. Excellent food wine and service. The tables are a little tight not as close as some NYC restaurants but still not ideal. Get the stuffed plantain amazing!Special Features:
- Was disappointed with howOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/28/2012Was disappointed with how the restaurant appeared in the website and what it actually looked like. The service was terrible, and one of the waiters was taking a swifter and dusting the AC units in the ceiling over us while we were eating. It was also very loud and you could barely hear any music. Will never go back.
- way too noisy...cant hearOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2012way too noisy...cant hear oneself talk...completely ridiculous waste of time and money.
- Out of winePJONYVIPDined on 5/19/2012We selected the restaurant because it was a wine bar. Unfortunately, the night we were there, they were out of many of the low and medium priced wines and had very little to offer at those price points- so that was a huge disappointment.
- The food was excellent. TheJennyDined on 4/27/2012The food was excellent. The wine list looked great but I was a little upset that a majority of the wines were not in. Luckily the waiter was very knowledgeable and able to suggest a wine that was in stock and comparable to what we had originally selected in taste price. I'm very pleased with my experience and will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- We had a nice time and theMichelleVIPDined on 4/23/2012We had a nice time and the food was nice but there was nothing amazing about this place that would make me race back. If you are in the area its fine for a glass of wine and snack.
- Very fun happening restaurant...witOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/21/2012Very fun happening restaurant...with great ambience and delicious food. A bit noisy...so not a choice for more than 6 people. We will definitely return to try out other choices on the great menu!!Special Features:
- Cava Wine Bar is a fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/9/2012Cava Wine Bar is a fantastic restaurant. We shared a sampler to get a taste of a wide variety of the menu, and every item was more incredible than the last. The sangria was the best we'd ever tasted. The service was fantastic, and with open panels to the outside, we enjoyed fresh air while dining. Even the music and artwork was great. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- we made a reservation thruCourtneyDined on 4/1/2012we made a reservation thru opentable and minutes later the restaurant called to let us know that the kitchen was closing early that night. we ended up putting the order in over the phone and making our way over to the restaurant before the kitchen closed/before our reservation. the food was delicious and the service was great! would definitely return!Special Features:
- It was a good experience butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2012It was a good experience but the restaurant was kind of small.Special Features:
- The food here is amazing forOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/3/2012The food here is amazing for a great cost. Under $100 including tip two can have a wonderful meal including wine. The space is small but the staff is great, get a reservation on a weekend but a weeknight you can walk in. We live downtown and this has become one of our new favorite places. We reccomend the chili stuffed plaintain, to die for!Special Features:
- Very nice staff, friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/17/2012Very nice staff, friendly and welcoming. Nice selection of wines and beautiful food.Special Features:
- Food was disappointing. IFreezeDined on 1/24/2012Food was disappointing. I will be back but only for drinksSpecial Features:
- Was shocked to walk into aOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/14/2012Was shocked to walk into a nearly empty place on a Saturday night around 8pm. To start, I thought the ambiance was quite nice. One in our party ordered a glass of champagne. It was completely flat and we could see one of the employees at the bar looking at the lack of any bubbles. It was served anyway. We returned it and they brought another from a new bottle. As for the food, it was decent. The presentation was very nicely done. Some creative combinations (I am not an expert though). The biggest disappointment was the service. The waiter spent the whole time at the bar talking to others and texting in plain view of us. We probably would have had more drinks, but he wasn't there to serve us. I think I know why its not very crowded.
- It was just the right placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/13/2012It was just the right place for some very good sangria and something to eat after going to the movies.Special Features:
- Great tasting tapas; reasonablyJaviDined on 1/13/2012Great tasting tapas; reasonably priced; Id def go check out their brunch; dark lighting, art-covered walls.....a real good date spot.Special Features:
- We had an incredible dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/6/2012We had an incredible dinner at Cava. We were a large group--perhaps too large for such a small and romantic place, but the food was delicious, and the service was perfect.Special Features: